Hurricane Irma?

Will be watching all night into the morning to decide what to do, please let it go away, or please let it slow down..... amen, and good night

Yeah we've thought of cancelling all together, and still may depending on what the reports are on Monday. We're renting the DVC points, and there's literally NO availability (so I've been told) for a week-long stay before the points expire in March in a studio at BLT, BWV, BCV, WL, or Poly.

Look into a split stay. 3 nights at one 4 nights at another. Or 2 and 2 and 2. My family does this all the time with low notice.

So with it being a supposed CAT 2-3 near Orlando, what is everyone's opinions on trying to switch to a hotel with Indoor entrances like AMA? My sister has been on hold for several hours I guess, trying to see if we could ride it out there for the first few nights. Not sure if it's even a possibility, so we will see.

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant. I'm just conflicted because the cast member I talked to earlier this evening made it sound as if Disney was the safest place to be through all of this and we would all be okay still coming.

Edited to add: Part of the reason I'm so conflicted is because we are flying out at 8:30am tomorrow morning if we follow through
If you can switch it can be good but not for why you are thinking. It's nice to have more freedom of movement vs being more confined in your room.

Yes maybe, but did you watch the video? Not all of Orlando/WDW will necessarily get those 100+ wind speeds.
Right. The way it's due to move through, there will be wind yes, but the spin has the wind on the Atlantic ocean side of the coast, more than over the land. So there will be some wind of course but it's not as horrific as it is sounding on paper (so to speak). It's where the wind is. It's the whole "dirty" side and "clean" side or "good" and "bad" sides. Right now, it's tracking with Orlando and WDW on the good side. All subject to Irma's whim.

My dad just sent me a message and now I'm going to pass it along. I urge everyone to go to the Orlando Sentinel website and watch the video of the meteorologist talking about the storm in relation to Orlando specifically. The situation if the eye passes directly over obviously won't be good, but it may not be what people are imagining or picturing. Disney World is west of the city and the worst winds will be to the east of the eye. And by the time the storm reaches Orlando, some weakening will likely occur. Please watch it - it may calm people's nerves/complete devastation mentalities a bit.
Thanks so much. The meteorologist did explain well. Feeling calmer here.

Yeah we've thought of cancelling all together, and still may depending on what the reports are on Monday. We're renting the DVC points, and there's literally NO availability (so I've been told) for a week-long stay before the points expire in March in a studio at BLT, BWV, BCV, WL, or Poly.

Also Saratoga is almost always open and is really very nice and relaxing.

As someone who lives a half-mile from the ocean in South Carolina, it's heartbreaking when I see someone use the words "only a Category 3." Please don't underestimate the power of a hurricane. Just for some perspective, Hurricane Katrina was a Category 3 when it made landfall in Louisiana.

I was at Disney last year during Matthew -- a storm that for all intents and purposes "missed" Orlando. We still had plenty of wind, rain, outdoor furniture and benches blown over, etc.

I'm not trying to unnecessarily scare anyone. I just realize a lot of people don't live in hurricane-prone areas. Please do some research on what hurricane strengths mean.

Here in South Carolina, we're still anxiously awaiting to see if the current track holds and we are spared. We had our windows boarded today -- just in case. Hope it was an unnecessary precaution.

Prayers for safety for all in Florida and anywhere in this storm's path.

Hi All,

My first post on the boards (but I've been a ghost for a while).

My flight leaves Manchester UK in just a few hours and I get into MCO tonight for a 16 Day trip which includes my wedding on 13th and of course our Honeymoon.

Got some family joining us Sunday (most likely Tuesday now if they can organise with Virgin and Disney).

Never experienced a Hurricane, though have stood beneath a passing Tornado in Kansas. I'm sure it's probably very naive of me to still be heading out into Irmas path and I'm feeling quite anxious but this trip is once in a life time and years in the planning (and funds saving) and I can't see when else we would be able to reschedule.

I'm staying at AKL, so if anyone's staying there over this coming weekend then I hope I get to bump into you! I hope even more that it's under less anxious and troubling circumstances and Irma has calmed her jets or shifted path.

Sending my best wishes to all affected so far and yet to come.
:welcome:to the Boards, SonicStacie ~ you'll be visiting at a memorable time! If you are having a Disney Wedding, everything will go off as planned.

Last year when the park closed for Hurricane Matthew, a wedding still took place at a Disney Resort that evening. Everything went well and the Father of the Bride even asked Mickey if he had remembered to fill his car up with gas. :)

Just another update from the "front lines" -

I was successful in extending through Tues in both of our current (adjoining) rooms. The front desk line greeter took my info; 90 minutes later I got a call and it was taken care of. We were given a fair and reasonable rate (IMO.). The plan has been to consolidate to one room, but as it turns out my young cousin is in school in Orlando and I was the best "ride it out" offer she got.

Thankful we grabbed supplies last night - the shelves were pretty bare then. We got some interesting combinations. We were up north (near mall of the millennia) so a little less tourist-centric. Thankfully we already have a case of water.

The parks - in a silver lining - have been glorious today. We are trying to check off our last few "must dos" in anticipation of Saturday/Sunday/Monday closures - but if the parks are open, we'll be there. It's been great to be able to whip through a bunch of stuff without waits.

FWIW, my roommate is (planning on) flying out tomorrow night - she was informed RAC is *not* operating and she will need to bring her luggage with her on the motorcoach.

Lastly, I attached a photo of the sign in the lobby of Pop. Not sure if anyone else has posted it (I'm trying to keep up but simply can't manage to read everything - my apologies!)

Attachments

• IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 306
Anyone know for southwest air. If you do online check in can you still cancel after? Since they let you check in 24 hours in advance. I typically do it then. But don't want to make flight non cancelled by checking in before we make final decision.

Read alot of this thread. We are due to fly in 1 week on thursday. I can't even call and talk to cm's about what they are thinking,cause we are after the 13th. On the 14th. I have played out several sceniarios
1. leave as is and hope for best
2. if cannot fly we could possibly drive straight through its only 21 hrs?
3. will it be worth it to even go or is it going to rain, and be flooded, etc. for whole vacation
4. chuck whole idea of going cut our loses and change go to california disneyland? We have wdw ap's could upgrade to the duel coast passes $$$ I think > but I cannot ask anyone on phone? yet till the 14th? I already made ressies got all except 1 day at present. But, haven't been west since 1995. OMG

anyone else going in 1 week and unsure what we should do? Thanks for all your support.
mky

*raises hand*

My parents are arriving on the 14th too to celebrate their 40th anniversary and then we are planning to come down and surprise them on the 17th. I really have no option but to do #1, hope for the best, there is no way to recreate this situation, if for some reason they can't get to florida my parents will do something else for their vacation and and then we are just going to be out of luck or go without them I don't really know.

If I were you and had all the above options I would probably go with #4 the halloween decorations in Cars land are super cute I would love to see them. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

You can always request an earlier DME if you are concerned. You aren't locked in to the one 3 hours before your flight.
Though we've taken a car to DME in Orlando rush hour, which took 1 hour and still gotten to MCO in plenty of time for our flight.
Thanks so much, this is really helpful.

Hi All,

My flight leaves Manchester UK in just a few hours and I get into MCO tonight for a 16 Day trip which includes my wedding on 13th and of course our Honeymoon.

Got some family joining us Sunday (most likely Tuesday now if they can organise with Virgin and Disney).

Never experienced a Hurricane, though have stood beneath a passing Tornado in Kansas. I'm sure it's probably very naive of me to still be heading out into Irmas path and I'm feeling quite anxious but this trip is once in a life time and years in the planning (and funds saving) and I can't see when else we would be able to reschedule.

I'm staying at AKL, so if anyone's staying there over this coming weekend then I hope I get to bump into you! I hope even more that it's under less anxious and troubling circumstances and Irma has calmed her jets or shifted path.

I just wanted to pop in an wish you luck. I understand all the planning, our Disney wedding is on the 26th. Disney will make it work, just be prepared to roll with possible last minute changes.

We have family and friends in Florida and hope everyone stays safe.

Anyone know for southwest air. If you do online check in can you still cancel after? Since they let you check in 24 hours in advance. I typically do it then. But don't want to make flight non cancelled by checking in before we make final decision.

Yes, you can. When I flew in last weekend I had a backup flight on Southwest - I almost needed it which resulted in me canceling maybe an hour before flight time. Points refund credited immediately.

HTH

Hi All,

Save travels for you and your family and Best Wishes for your wedding. Welcome to the boards.
We saw quite a few Disney weddings being reworked during Matthew last year. Both at BWI and on the beach over at BC/YC area. Disney scrambled to get them set up and rearranged but they did it and everyone looked beautiful. We even saw Mickey and Minnie attending one of them. I'm sure yours will be lovely. Even with the uninvited Irma sticking her nose where it's not wanted.

Ga Southern? I'm from the 'Boro and have family there, and honestly, as long as he's in a sturdy dorm, house or apartment building, I think he'll be fine. Biggest fear there is tornadoes, but those are hard to predict/avoid no matter. He and his buddies just need to make sure they have the necessary supplies for power outages.

My nephew is at Georgia Southern and is headed home to Loganville to ride this out with family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter