Hurricane Irma?

I'm still unsure what to do. Our flight is for Tuesday from Nashville but it looks like Irma will be going through Nashville on Tuesday so even if Orlando is ok on Tuesday, Nashville may not be able to make flights. We are booked on Southwest and used some comps so I'm not sure if that matters or not. Disney is booked through a TA and she has already messaged me asking what I'd like to do. This morning I called my cousin that works at Epcot and she said it's uncertain what is going to happen. My gut is telling me to reschedule our trip to another date because I don't want my TA to miss her commission. I'm not sure if Southwest will refund or let us re-book. Maybe we could still go somewhere else next week if we have to use our flight tickets. Where, I don't know.

Ugh!! So many questions and uncertainty! I hate Irma!

I'm scheduled to leave on the 15th. At this point, there is nothing we can do except to wait and see.

The good thing about being a Disboards member is that you'll be able to get the real story on the aftermath from people who are there.

Sometimes, the media hypes things and you may not be truly informed about what you'll encounter when you get there. When you read here, you'll be hearing from real people about what is actually going on, and then you can make a good decision on whether to go ahead with your plans or postpone.

Good luck to us all and especially those who live in Florida. Godspeed.

We drive down on the 15th from Indiana. Stopping that night just inside Georgia to sleep, then check in at POP in 16th. It is a waiting game to see how things play out. Hoping we get to continue our plans. Praying hard for everyone down south this weekend.

I'm still unsure what to do. Our flight is for Tuesday from Nashville but it looks like Irma will be going through Nashville on Tuesday so even if Orlando is ok on Tuesday, Nashville may not be able to make flights. We are booked on Southwest and used some comps so I'm not sure if that matters or not. Disney is booked through a TA and she has already messaged me asking what I'd like to do. This morning I called my cousin that works at Epcot and she said it's uncertain what is going to happen. My gut is telling me to reschedule our trip to another date because I don't want my TA to miss her commission. I'm not sure if Southwest will refund or let us re-book. Maybe we could still go somewhere else next week if we have to use our flight tickets. Where, I don't know.

I think it will be fine flight wise for Tuesday in Nashville. Yes, our area is probably going to have rain and wind but, as you know, we are have some wonderfully, unseasonably cool weather. This is also going to suck a lot of energy out of this system as it moves in so we'll get rain and wind but, thankfully, a significantly reduced chance of tornadoes. Had we been having our usual temps and humidity this would be different. So it won't be pleasant weather to be outdoors and there could be some wind damage but flights should still be able to take off/land, though schedules may be disrupted. (I just listened to an interview with our weather man about 20 min ago)

Now, what will it be like in Orlando? That is a bit different of a question but one you will know the answer to well before Tuesday.

I think it will be fine flight wise for Tuesday in Nashville. Yes, our area is probably going to have rain and wind but, as you know, we are have some wonderfully, unseasonably cool weather. This is also going to suck a lot of energy out of this system as it moves in so we'll get rain and wind but, thankfully, a significantly reduced chance of tornadoes. Had we been having our usual temps and humidity this would be different. So it won't be pleasant weather to be outdoors and there could be some wind damage but flights should still be able to take off/land, though schedules may be disrupted. (I just listened to an interview with our weather man about 20 min ago)

Now, what will it be like in Orlando? That is a bit different of a question but one you will know the answer to well before Tuesday.

Thank you for your insight! My fiance wants to skip Orlando and go to Colorado but I'm still hoping for a miracle that Orlando will have minimal damage. Maybe I'll just hold out a little longer...

But also my TA mentioned that the call centers may be down and she may not get through if I wait too much longer.

By time the storm gets to Nashville (assuming current path holds true), Irma will be all but dead. My job requires me to pay ultra close attention to the storm...I've watched The Weather Channel and other stuff for countless hours this week. For a lot of reasons, when it gets to north GA and south TN, it'll be some rain and breezy, but nothing of real concern.

Disney...that may be another story, we'll see.

So, I've got a weather app on my phone tuned to Disney (wanted to watch weather there for about a month before trip).

I see lots of thunderstorms now... is that the outskirts of Irma already starting, or some other thunderstorm activity?

Just wanna know as I am watching and hoping to not cancel next week for 17th arrival.

My brother is a police officer near Orlando. He cannot leave. His wife and family are staying due to numerous reasons (traffic standstill, gas outages, lack of resources, etc)

As much as I would like for them to leave FL, they cannot. I respect their decision and pray for their safety. They have told me that they have taken precautions and have a public shelter nearby if needed. From what I've read, I think I'd rather his wife and kids stay at Disney.

It's the unknown of what can happen that makes us all nervous and concerned. Prayers to all.

Sorry if this was already answered for you, but this thread moves so fast that it's hard to sort through everything AND keep up. We are out of Indy tomorrow on Southwest and paid for early check-in for the first time on this trip. I love it, no more sitting at the computer exactly 24 hours in advance to be able to board at a decent time. We got in the A's and we will probably do early bird check in every time now. So don't think it was a total waste :) I can't answer your other question of if they only sell so many per flight.

Thanks!!! It is moving very fast. I pray you get out and I'm glad you got A section. I hope that they only sell so many per flight. I just am praying that MCO will be open Wednesday morning. Best wishes getting in!

So, I've got a weather app on my phone tuned to Disney (wanted to watch weather there for about a month before trip).

I see lots of thunderstorms now... is that the outskirts of Irma already starting, or some other thunderstorm activity?

Just wanna know as I am watching and hoping to not cancel next week for 17th arrival.
I believe the rain we are getting now is the cold front that was supposed to steer Irma to the east but it weakened.
If I may suggest the WFTV weather up for local coverage

By time the storm gets to Nashville (assuming current path holds true), Irma will be all but dead. My job requires me to pay ultra close attention to the storm...I've watched The Weather Channel and other stuff for countless hours this week. For a lot of reasons, when it gets to north GA and south TN, it'll be some rain and breezy, but nothing of real concern.

Thank you!!

For what it's worth, the Orlando area is going to hit fairly hard, but not catastrophically. Our trip was supposed to end Sunday, but our flight is canceled so we are staying with friends just outside of Orlando. The winds are predicted to peak around 2am Monday at about ~90mph (Cat. 1) winds, but up until that it's 20-30 and rainy. It won't be pleasant, but fortunately Irma is starting to stumble. My heart goes out for those in South Florida who are still in for a wallop but fortunately the Orlando/Disney area looks like it is just unpleasant for a few days. If I could have, I would have just stayed at Disney but we had to check out this morning. We are booked to fly out on Tuesday and the forecast has Tuesday clearing up and temperatures soaring back up, for anyone arriving Tuesday onward, you'll probably be perfectly fine.

Matt

My brother is a police officer near Orlando. He cannot leave. His wife and family are staying due to numerous reasons (traffic standstill, gas outages, lack of resources, etc)

As much as I would like for them to leave FL, they cannot. I respect their decision and pray for their safety. They have told me that they have taken precautions and have a public shelter nearby if needed. From what I've read, I think I'd rather his wife and kids stay at Disney.

It's the unknown of what can happen that makes us all nervous and concerned. Prayers to all.
not sure where exactly in Orlando he is in but over by the Hunters Creek/ Falcon Trace/Wyndham Lakes area there is still gas

That is true, if it tracks up the middle of FL. If it stays off the coast and makes landfall again in Savannah area, Atlanta is going to get much more than some rain and breezy.

no - just summer thunderstorms

Universal Orlando:
Hurricane Irma Update: Resort to Close at 7pm on Saturday, September 9 – More Details Below (updated 9/8/2017 at 12:30pm)
Hurricane Irma Update: Resort to Close at 7pm on Saturday, September 9 – More Details Below (updated 9/8/2017 at 12:30pm)
Out of concern for the safety of our Team Members and our guests, Universal Orlando has made the following operational changes due to Hurricane Irma:

• The theme parks and CityWalk will close at 7:00pm tomorrow (Saturday, Sept. 9). We will be fully closed on Sunday and Monday. As such, Team Members scheduled to report after 7pm on Saturday night should not report to work on Saturday night. We anticipate normal operating hours on Tuesday, Sept. 12.
  • Our on-site hotels are currently at full capacity and will remain operational as they focus on taking care of our on-site guests.
  • As previously announced, we will hold our Rock the Universe event at Universal Studios Florida tonight, Friday Sept. 8 and will welcome Saturday ticket-holders tonight as well. The event will be cancelled on Saturday night and Sunday morning.

not sure where exactly in Orlando he is in but over by the Hunters Creek/ Falcon Trace/Wyndham Lakes area there is still gas

In my experience yesterday and today there's no significant highway traffic, no trouble with gas, we didn't even have trouble picking up supplies. Orlando is amazingly calm right now, as is Lake Mary, where I'm currently residing.

Matt

I feel blasphemous to even ask this, but you all know so much about the area... We originally had 10 days scheduled at Vero Beach, with 4 days in Orlando beforehand, and we were supposed to have arrived yesterday. I canceled the Vero portion, and moved the Orlando portion to 9/12-9/17. I'm 95% sure I'm going to just scrap the whole thing, but I wanted to ask: does anyone know how safe - and here's the blasphemous part - Universal is? We had planned to spend a day there for my HP-obsessed 8yo as a treat for having devoured the books. I have no doubt WDW builds everything to stringent codes and performs the best safety checks, but I know nothing about *that other place*. Any ideas?

You can't compare LEO, doctors, nurses, firefighters, etc, to theme park employees. One is essential to safety/life. One is definitely not.
Not necessarily. It isn't possible at this point for Disney to evacuate everyone. There's not enough planes, gasoline, rental cars, etc. Therby, their employees are in the position of safekeeping and protecting life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter