Hurricane Irma?

Just reading all this is making me nervous about our upcoming trip and Jose. We don't even arrive till the 25th! I hope this all calms down. Craziest few weeks I've seen in years, well in terms of natural disasters.

I think the general feeling at this point is Jose won't pose a threat to the US (fingers crossed!).

We have flights that arrive in Tampa on September 23 and we fly out Oct 8th. We are booked at BLT for the first week and rented a house for the second week. How is everyone else leaving around then feeling? My concern with this new track is the storm surge in Tampa. (although hopefully a few weeks out, the airport would be fine)

I also have a rental in Tampa. It is in the red zone of mandatory evacuation and at the most risk of storm surge. I have the best luck!

I'm due to arrive two weeks from today. I'm not sure what to expect. I'm trying to be optimistic as Tampa is so far north, but I use to work hurricane relief, so it's hard for me not to think about worse case scenarios with what I've seen. I'm still planning on going and am waiting to make a decision after we see what happens, but the not knowing is driving me crazy. I also have friends and family in the area, so I'm nervous for them as well.

Here's the link I used to look up what flood zone my rental house is in. Maybe it will help you have a better idea of how your rental house may fare. You may find out that it isn't even in a flood area at all.

https://www.tampagov.net/sites/default/files/hillsborough_english_evac_zone_map_dpg2017.pdf

I also have a rental in Tampa. It is in the red zone of mandatory evacuation and at the most risk of storm surge. I have the best luck!

I'm due to arrive two weeks from today. I'm not sure what to expect. I'm trying to be optimistic as Tampa is so far north, but I use to work hurricane relief, so it's hard for me not to think about worse case scenarios with what I've seen. I'm still planning on going and am waiting to make a decision after we see what happens, but the not knowing is driving me crazy. I also have friends and family in the area, so I'm nervous for them as well.

Here's the link I used to look up what flood zone my rental house is in. Maybe it will help you have a better idea of how your rental house may fare. You may find out that it isn't even in a flood area at all.

https://www.tampagov.net/sites/default/files/hillsborough_english_evac_zone_map_dpg2017.pdf

Thanks for the info! I'm so sorry about your rental house. Hoping and praying that you and your family are safe!

Our trip is 9/16-9/24. I'm getting a little nervous. We were able to get FD and GC offer at CBR. We paid for our trip with Disney GC. If we have to cancel will we be refunded back to the 68 cards I used or will it just go on one??

Still holding out hope...

This thread moves fast! We have been here at Disney since Wednesday. I cannot say enough good things about how they are handling this. We were originally in a cabin at FW, and we got the notice yesterday about upcoming closure. We went straight to the desk, put in for relocation, and they set it up for us to come to AoA today. We are in a Cars suite, and we got a room ready text and everything this morning. Could not have asked for a more seamless transition. We also needed to extend our stay as we were due to check out Monday. Waited a bit in line at front desk, but spoke with at least two CMs while in line who were making sure everyone in line needed to be there or if their question/issue could be alternatively addressed. Got extended to Wednesday (which is when we could move our Southwest flight to) no problem. They were extending stays at 40% off, which I thought was more than reasonable. While there, the CM updated our Magical Express info, and we are all set now. In the last 24 hours, we had 2 notices delivered to our cabin at FW with updates, a notice in our room when we got to AoA, and another just a bit ago under the door, all giving info as it's being announced. I feel like we couldn't be in better hands. As the gentleman behind me in line at the front desk said. "I'm a double evacuee. First from Key West to FW, then from FW to here. My family asked why we didn't come further north. I told them, if anybody knows how to do a hurricane, it's Disney!"

Our trip is 9/16-9/24. I'm getting a little nervous. We were able to get FD and GC offer at CBR. We paid for our trip with Disney GC. If we have to cancel will we be refunded back to the 68 cards I used or will it just go on one??

Still holding out hope...

Good grief! Why didn't you combine those cards?! I suspect they will combine them to several cards. Each card has a max of $1000 normally.

Please if you guys could send thoughts and prayers for st martin where my family is. They and everyone else were not able to get out before Jose hits tonight as the airport was destroyed and the waves were too choppy to evacuate by boat. These islands are thankful south of the Jose eye and Jose is headed out to sea. I know it's not Disney but we are headed there later this month so I have been following this thread. Please stay safe, they have lost everything and I pray Florida does not get hit as hard

Thanks for the info! I'm so sorry about your rental house. Hoping and praying that you and your family are safe!

Thanks.

Honestly, if it wasn't for needing to pick up family from the airport who are flying in from out of the country, I'd just cancel. The thing is, the whole trip was booked around the need to come to the US to renew visas and take care of medical issues, so canceling really isn't an option.

Last edited:
Good grief! Why didn't you combine those cards?! I suspect they will combine them to several cards. Each card has a max of $1000 normally.

LOL I wish I would've known how to combine them. It was a pain in the butt entering in all of them

Please if you guys could send thoughts and prayers for st martin where my family is. They and everyone else were not able to get out before Jose hits tonight as the airport was destroyed and the waves were too choppy to evacuate by boat. These islands are thankful south of the Jose eye and Jose is headed out to sea. I know it's not Disney but we are headed there later this month so I have been following this thread. Please stay safe, they have lost everything and I pray Florida does not get hit as hard
I'm so sorry. Sending positive thoughts for your family. I hope they are ok. :sad1:

We haven't. That was planned for Sunday. :( We have to choose between those 2 and as much as I would love to see Pandora, JTA will be more important for the kids. My oldest is 11, so this may be her last time as well.

If you need to hop I would ask for that added on. I'm not trying to stick it to Disney or anything but if you are trying to cram your last 3 days into 1 a hopper would allow for that.

Here is some interesting reading for those of you who think this is situation is light-hearted: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4867208/More-5-6-MILLION-people-ordered-leave-Florida.html

The bottom line is this. Most people have made their decisions. The time for evacuation is slowing coming to a close. My friends from central fl took 18 hours today to get to Atlanta. Not many more people can get out they will just be stuck on the road when this thing hits.

Therefore, whatever decisions people have made they have made. We can stick here and help and be supportive of each other (like I just watched my native houstonians do for each other) or we can judge, blame or accuse.

You aren't there obviously, you don't want to add positively to this thread, so why are you here??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter