Hurricane Irma?

Not sure what airline you are on, but I have changed 3 times now with SW, no penalty at all. I hope it's the case for you!
Southwest doesn't have change penalties, ever.
They can charge fare differences but will waive those during times like this where there are service disruptions, if that's what you mean.
Other airlines do have change fees and they will waive them for the same reasons. They also waive fare differences.
But only when flights fall within the service disruption windows

You might be okay. Just got off the phone with SW since my flight Tuesday 9/12 was cancelled and they told me no flights available until 9/14.

This is what happened to me. I want to hope for the best for all of you who still have intact SW Tuesday flights, but it might not hurt to call. By the time I got around to reading my email, my flight cancellation was 2 hours old, there were no Wed flights left, but I was able to get a Thursday first thing. By yesterday afternoon, there was nothing left on Thursday except late night. The earlier you know, the better, for sure. I hope it works out!

My husband is not a Disney fan. We have gone yearly for the last 12 years and it got to the point where he didn't wanted to go anymore, even though my children and I still loved going. This year when we went, he did not go to any parks at all. He stayed at the resort during the day, stayed at the pool, worked out and golfed a few times and then at night we would all go to dinner at night. We also spent time together during the day at the resorts. It was the best vacation yet because we were not dragging someone into the parks who really didn't want to be there and he has a stressful job and just relaxing most of the time is fine with him. I am glad to see that your mom is going with you. I know your dh won't be there but try not to focus on that, try to focus on just getting a much needed break and watching your children enjoy the Disney magic. Is there anyway your husband can fly in for a few days? With magical express, it's easy to get back and forth from the airport. Have a great time.
So I just asked and he is said he might be able to do that. I'll day take 2 days over none!!

Southwest doesn't have change penalties, ever.
They can charge fare differences but will waive those during times like this where there are service disruptions, if that's what you mean.
Other airlines do have change fees and they will waive them for the same reasons. They also waive fare differences.
But only when flights fall within the service disruption windows

Yes, sorry! That's what I meant! They didn't charge me an airfare difference. :)

You might be okay. Just got off the phone with SW since my flight Tuesday 9/12 was cancelled and they told me no flights available until 9/14.
We are scheduled to leave Amarillo, Tx for a Sept 16-23 vacation. We are flying SW too. I have been checking and messing around on SW website to see about cancellations from this part of country. I tried booking reservations for Tuesday and Wednesday, and Thursday of this week, and the site showed all sold out for departure and for return date it said "invalid return for departure date". I even tried booking flights leaving Dallas or Houston with the same results. On Friday and the rest of week, it showed regular info with some availability from all 3 cities to Orlando. Whether that means they are cancelling all flights to Orlando thru Thursday or maybe they are just not take new reservations, I don't know. According to that, our date Sept 16-23 still shows to be on the schedule. So it does make me worried for some people flying SW. I suggest you go to Southwest.com and see if you can even get any availability to come up for whatever dates your vacation is. Not trying to cause more stress but trying to share what I found out. I know people have been talking about their SW flights. Praying for Florida and its people today. Hope Irma loses strength and quickly passes the state.

I know there are a few others posting in this thread about actual conditions at/near WDW. Just thought I'd contribute, from my house about 2 miles to the northwest of Cinderella's castle. Right now, 8:00 am Sunday, we only have some drizzle and very light winds. Heavy overcast. Expecting the worst to begin much later today.
Everything I'm watching right now is showing the worse for Orlando to be overnight tonight. Which can be good or bad, I guess.
Many will sleep through it but that can be scary too, if someone wakes in the middle of the night, in a strange place with strange sounds. Even in the best of circumstances it can often take a few minutes to get your bearings when you wake in a hotel room. At least it does for both DH and I. It's not home and takes a few second for our brain to process just where we are and what we are doing. Add in a Hurricane hitting, even with low Cat 1 or Tropical Storm strength, and that can be scary for a few minutes.

Everything I'm watching right now is showing the worse for Orlando to be overnight tonight. Which can be good or bad, I guess.
Many will sleep through it but that can be scary too, if someone wakes in the middle of the night, in a strange place with strange sounds. Even in the best of circumstances it can often take a few minutes to get your bearings when you wake in a hotel room. At least it does for both DH and I. It's not home and takes a few second for our brain to process just where we are and what we are doing. Add in a Hurricane hitting, even with low Cat 1 or Tropical Storm strength, and that can be scary for a few minutes.

I hate that the worst of it is overnight; I won't get any sleep worrying about what's going on! I also have this image of our roof flying off and us scrambling around in the dark! At this point I just want to get this over with!

I hate that the worst of it is overnight; I won't get any sleep worrying about what's going on! I also have this image of our roof flying off and us scrambling around in the dark! At this point I just want to get this over with!
Totally understand! I'd be the same way. Matter of fact, 24 hours we will be. We are due for the left overs of Irma overnight Monday, in to Tuesday. We live in the woods on a mountain. Around here they are saying gusts of 50 mph possible overnight. Trees we have aren't used to that

Weather Underground (google) and put Disney in the location bar. You can see the radar (and they are about to get a nasty squall line).

How did you get that? Who did you talk to about it?
well, 2 days are the days we are sitting in our room (Sunday and Monday) so they are really only giving us 4 days. If you look at it, they really are not giving us that either. We had a MNSSHP for 4 and the Galactic desert party, so it was either change the day, get a park hopper ticket good for 2 years or a refund. we took the tickets. Person at the front desk took care of it.

I think a lot of the flights cancelled are because they know they can't get the planes moved around/in position to fill the schedule. Flight schedules really fell the "butterfly effect". And remember, Monday and Tuesday may find Atlanta's airport impacted at times, which is going to impact the misery map greatly. If you've never followed it, and have a flight planned that goes through Atlanta, may be a good time to follow it
http://flightaware.com/miserymap/

Probably see a lot of red at Hartsfield and think how many flights feed through there

This is so true. Once the airport reopens, the planes have to be available. There is definitely a butterfly effect. We had our flight canceled once the afternoon we were leaving Orlando a few years ago (going to BWI). There had been a huge snowstorm in the Northeast (nothing at our area), and planes couldn't get out. We ended up getting a hotel room at the airport (luckily, as they were all sold out and folks were sleeping in the terminals), and couldn't get home for 3 days. There was no weather in Orlando or Baltimore, but planes were stuck in New York.

It's important for all of us to use patience and kindness during these times. I'm sure the airline employees are dealing with lots of unhappy folks, and doing what they can.

I'm hoping for those of you in Florida to stay safe!

Weather Underground (google) and put Disney in the location bar. You can see the radar (and they are about to get a nasty squall line).
15 minutes south and it's very calm here. I use the NWS radar website and I'm guessing that the next squall will stay south.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter