Hurricane Irma?

I was miracualously able to get my sister (a CP) on a flight to Detroit (we are from Cleveland) tomorrow afternoon. I'm 99% positive delta added a flight to get people out. Praying it takes off as scheduled and she can get home to us.... Curious on what DISers think on here about this. My mom is part of the parents group for the current CPs. A mom went off earlier today saying all CPs who left should be terminated. Around 100 parents agreed with that and said they are so proud of their son or daughter for staying and being able to work for Disney when it reopens and not have to fly back (not the ride out crew). I just thought that statement was absolutely crazy!!! We all love Disney but WHO KNOWS what this storm is going to do and tons of parents are criticizing everyone who left to be safe with their families. Am I wrong for not jumping on getting the flight for my sister? Her roommates are also refusing to take her to the airport because they don't think she should leave.
I think she should leave. Do they know this is the largest hurricane in history?

Totally understand! I'd be the same way. Matter of fact, 24 hours we will be. We are due for the left overs of Irma overnight Monday, in to Tuesday. We live in the woods on a mountain. Around here they are saying gusts of 50 mph possible overnight. Trees we have aren't used to that

Oh goodness, well I will say a prayer that winds die down, or your trees manage to hang on!

I hate that the worst of it is overnight; I won't get any sleep worrying about what's going on! I also have this image of our roof flying off and us scrambling around in the dark! At this point I just want to get this over with!
Yes night is a bad time to have to worry about it hitting :(

well, 2 days are the days we are sitting in our room (Sunday and Monday) so they are really only giving us 4 days. If you look at it, they really are not giving us that either. We had a MNSSHP for 4 and the Galactic desert party, so it was either change the day, get a park hopper ticket good for 2 years or a refund. we took the tickets. Person at the front desk took care of it.

they want to give me a 2 day park ticket for the 2 days in the room, and then they want me to call a number to get the Halloween Party tickets for a 1 day hopper pass.. But I want them to combine the 2 day park tickets and the party tickets together to get a 3 day ticket, but from what they said, I can't do that..... I will try again before the end of our trip...

I think a lot of the flights cancelled are because they know they can't get the planes moved around/in position to fill the schedule. Flight schedules really fell the "butterfly effect". And remember, Monday and Tuesday may find Atlanta's airport impacted at times, which is going to impact the misery map greatly. If you've never followed it, and have a flight planned that goes through Atlanta, may be a good time to follow it
http://flightaware.com/miserymap/

Probably see a lot of red at Hartsfield and think how many flights feed through there

This is great. I had no idea something like this existed.

I fly out of Atlanta. My Tuesday Southwest flight was cancelled.

Tried calling DVC Member Services this morning to cancel my Tuesday night reservation since that flight was cancelled but they are closed. I'll try again tomorrow.

Stay safe everyone!

Fled my Naples home when Gov Scott said , escape if it's possible, just before the area /community was mandatory. So thankful and Blessed we were able to get additional family from east coast/+pet who traveled with us.
I'm praying our home/town is there when we can safely return. It's been exhausting physically and mentally.
The situation of no gas/hours long gas lines, limited supplies and non stop hours of 5 mph crawling along, with attempts at detouring takes its toll on ur body and mind. Add in the overbooked hotels/motels.. I am blessed with a bro. up north that tracked the storm progress/navigating us thru the states and secured safe shelter for us. It was no easy task with rooms at capacity. We were able to navigate further north then west as lodging could not extend dates.
We are safely situated now (expected tropical storm winds/rain are ok by me)

PRAYING for those who decided they d ride it out and/or waited too long to evacuate.
Please keep Florida in your thoughts and prayers. The waiting is no easy task! Be Safe!
Glad you made it some where safe. Praying for your home town to be safe.

Thanks. Us for y'all too. Y'all are still at home, right? Never got rooms on property?

Yep, riding it out at home. We're hoping that if we lose power, we might be able to get a room then, once people have been able to get flights home. The thought of no ac is not a good one!

Flights into and out of MCO can be affected by issues in Jacksonville. Jacksonville is the enroute air traffic control centre. All flights south to Orlando and north from Orlando have to pass through Jacksonville air space. We discovered this the day after Matthew. MCO was open but due to curfews and weather in Jacksonville only a limited number of planes could be processed by the skeleton crew in Jacksonville.

The lesson learned is that although the weather may be beautiful in Orlando flights might still be heavily affected.

Last edited:
Got family about 40 miles to the east of Tampa. Basically worst part of the storm. Homes are boarded. Just gotta hope for the best. Nothing more can be done at this point. Everyone is staying home. Along with most people in the surrounding counties.

Gonna be a stressful 24 hours.

Just heard that Atlanta had been placed understood it's first tropical storm watch. I'm sure that's going to affect lots of flights, especially Delta.

So I just asked and he is said he might be able to do that. I'll day take 2 days over none!!

This is great!! Honestly when a spouse isn't into the Disney magic (like mine) it can be really disappointing but it is so important for your own mental health not to be too upset about it. My husband joins my family for short snippets sometimes and it works really well! Its about as long ad he can stand and still be cheerful.

I hate that the worst of it is overnight; I won't get any sleep worrying about what's going on! I also have this image of our roof flying off and us scrambling around in the dark! At this point I just want to get this over with!

Ditto. I would have left if that was practical.

Weather Underground (google) and put Disney in the location bar. You can see the radar (and they are about to get a nasty squall line).
The squall hasn't materialized. I just got off the phone with a family member who was on one of his daily walks. He went back to the house to get his umbrella because there wasn't any wind. We talked for like 30 minutes, and the $10 umbrella (his words) was just fine. He lives 4 miles from the parks, and also remarked that someone in the neighborhood was unloading groceries, although not sure from where. I hope everyone stays safe, as of now it's only raining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter