• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

So, for those of us still planning to go post-Irma, how is the weather following a hurricane? Does it tend to stay rainy, get cold, get hot, etc. . . . or is the weather post-hurricane as unpredictable as a hurricane itself?

*Just doing my final packing in hopes of leaving next week. Need to know if I should pack warmer clothes, etc.

Presently at wdw. Hollywood studios today. Parks quiet. We are ready. I'm more concerned about the staff and their families. My family will only endure this by choice for the next few days. This storm can impact these people's lives in a much greater proportion. Praying for safety for all involved.

How does "policy" even apply when the park is going to be closed?
Disney isn't acting on a policy. The policy refers to a hurricane warning and refunds and they were acting way before any such actual warnings. Disney is just offering to do pretty much everything for everyone without obligation, ignoring their non refundable rules, and at immense financial loss. It's really great how they're handling it.

So, for those of us still planning to go post-Irma, how is the weather following a hurricane? Does it tend to stay rainy, get cold, get hot, etc. . . . or is the weather post-hurricane as unpredictable as a hurricane itself?

*Just doing my final packing in hopes of leaving next week. Need to know if I should pack warmer clothes, etc.
The weather was great after Hurricane Matthew cleared out last October. The sun was out and the humidity had dropped from what is was before the storm hit. :)

The weather shouldn't be any different. I am just worried that the parks will be damaged/closed. I really hope they have restocked supermarkets shelves too. We arrive the 16th, were originally arriving today. Now I wonder if we should have moved it to October!

For anyone flying from the UK on Tuesday with Virgin Atlantic please check your flights ours have just been cancelled and the TA has no idea when we will be able to now fly out.

Long time Floridian here--it's usually hot after. The exception was Wilma in 2005 when it was very cold, but that was in late October. I would plan for it to be very warm and just buy sweat shirts there in the rare case you do need them. Disney is always good about having warm clothing for sale when needed.

Generally, immediately after a hurricane, it is UNBEARABLY hot and humid. Sticky, oppressive heat.

Disney isn't acting on a policy. The policy refers to a hurricane warning and refunds and they were acting way before any such actual warnings. Disney is just offering to do pretty much everything for everyone without obligation, ignoring their non refundable rules, and at immense financial loss. It's really great how they're handling it.
I agree that Disney is doing a great job.

But refunding something for a date they're going to be closed kind of seems like a given.

For anyone flying from the UK on Tuesday with Virgin Atlantic please check your flights ours have just been cancelled and the TA has no idea when we will be able to now fly out.

Thanks for the heads up. My partner leaves with them Wednesday. Still have everything crossed.

Last edited:
I agree that Disney is doing a great job.
But refunding something for a date they're going to be closed kind of seems like a given.
It's not for a day they're going to be closed, it's for the afternoon before they were going to be closed.

Generally, immediately after a hurricane, it is UNBEARABLY hot and humid. Sticky, oppressive heat.

The weather on the day after Matthew in WDW was fabulous. Sunny, breezy, not hot or humid. Around here, it would have been called a Top Ten Day of the year weather-wise.

The weather after we left was a big improvement over the week leading up to Matthew, which was my trip week.

We had a torrential downpour that lasted hours and caused flash flooding the night we arrived on 10/1/16, the 45th anniversary at MK. It set the tone for remainder of our trip, which included Matthew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter