Hurricane Irma?

I've never thought of Disney as having the responsibility of providing a storm shelter for locals. Locals have had plenty of time to make reservations and frankly should know better. I have no ill will toward "outsiders" i.e. tourists who have chosen to be at Disney right now. Welcome, stay safe. It will be a trip to remember.

Really?

This storm's path has changed multiple times over the last few days; it went from going straight up the peninsula, to hugging the east coast, to back to straight up the middle, to now over on the west coast. We all knew we would be impacted, but no one knew how much until the last day or two. We've been trying to find a room for the six of us since Thursday, when it became more likely that the eye would come right over Central Florida. Nothing is available. I understand why, if people are stuck at Disney and can't get home then they need a room and Disney is holding rooms for that very purpose. Disney is also holding rooms (as well as other spaces) for the many CMs working Ride Out Crew. So don't tell me that as a local I should have just known better and booked my reservation with the "plenty of time" that we didn't have. No one said Disney had a responsibility to shelter people.

Hard morning. Finally cancelled today's trip late last night to find the storm has be downgraded this morning. (SO thankful for that!). Im a glutton for punishment as I keep second guessing what I did even though I did what was the right thing for me to do in the moment. So, so sad this morning. We were supposed to be getting ready to leave for the airport right now. ☹️☹️ Lol - even looked at rebooking our trip this morning but nothing available.

All will be better in a few days but it's just hard right now.

Praying for all in FL.

It's still a massive, strong storm, and it's likely to strengthen again, once it clears Cuba and is back over the open water. Fingers crossed that isn't the case, of course! You have to go with your gut instincts, so please don't be too hard on yourself.

Orlando is on the EAST side of the storm if Irma continues on the expected track. Typically in the US, not always though, the east side gets higher rain amounts and tornadoes.
I agree which is why I said each track west helps Orlando but hurts Tampa

It's still a massive, strong storm, and it's likely to strengthen again, once it clears Cuba and is back over the open water. Fingers crossed that isn't the case, of course! You have to go with your gut instincts, so please don't be too hard on yourself.
Totally agree with your first comment, respectfully disagree with your second...don't go with your gut, you go with logic and warnings from FEMA, the Governor and locals who tell you not to come to down. Gut not necessary.

I've posted multiple times: even if Orlando doesn't get hit hard, millions of people are now heading north to get out of the way...they need somewhere to go. Tourist rob locals from resources they desperately need while unnecessarily imposing on first respondents.

Really?

This storm's path has changed multiple times over the last few days; it went from going straight up the peninsula, to hugging the east coast, to back to straight up the middle, to now over on the west coast. We all knew we would be impacted, but no one knew how much until the last day or two. We've been trying to find a room for the six of us since Thursday, when it became more likely that the eye would come right over Central Florida. Nothing is available. I understand why, if people are stuck at Disney and can't get home then they need a room and Disney is holding rooms for that very purpose. Disney is also holding rooms (as well as other spaces) for the many CMs working Ride Out Crew. So don't tell me that as a local I should have just known better and booked my reservation with the "plenty of time" that we didn't have. No one said Disney had a responsibility to shelter people.

Maybe no one made that exact statement but there are a lot of posts blaming tourists for taking away resources from locals, including gas, food, water, hotel rooms, and highway space. Don't take it personally. Each person makes their own decision and no one can second guess their reasons.

I was able to get my package moved from 9/10-9/14 to 9/12-9/17 but this is not not reflecting in MDE. I made the change yesterday by phone. ANy ideas when it will update?
How confident are you feeling about arriving 9/12. This is my arrival date as well and I don't know if I should cancel. So much conflicting information.

How confident are you feeling about arriving 9/12. This is my arrival date as well and I don't know if I should cancel. So much conflicting information.

Don't cancel until the very last minute if you can help it. Monday morning you will know so much more.

And don't let any of the posters here make you feel guilty about it. If Disney is up and running and says come on in, you have every right to go on you vacation. You aren't "taking resources" from others.

My Southwest Flight for Tuesday out of Atlanta just got cancelled. Southwest's computer system must be on overload since I'm unable to access it to see if I need to move the flight to Wednesday and if there is anything available.

We are scheduled to fly out late on Tuesday (arrive Wed AM) via Jetblue, after an earlier change. I think that if this flight is cancelled we will finally take the hint and cancel this trip.

Good luck on changing your plans.

I feel better about arriving the 17th. I have close friends in Gainesville so I'm kind of a nervous wreck about them.

Today on MDE longest wait time is FoP 90
Navi 45

And....wait for it... Tomorrowland Speedway 20

(Other 20 as well, but Speedway is listed first)

Don't cancel until the very last minute if you can help it. Monday morning you will know so much more.

And don't let any of the posters here make you feel guilty about it.
Yeah that's my problem. This whole wait and see game. My anxiety is through the roof. And I have talked to a few CM who have said they are planning to be open and operational on Tuesday. My concern is getting into Disney. Even if airport is open, roads may not be clear to get into WDW

Yeah that's my problem. This whole wait and see game. My anxiety is through the roof. And I have talked to a few CM who have said they are planning to be open and operational on Tuesday. My concern is getting into Disney. Even if airport is open, roads may not be clear to get into WDW

Yeah it's hard, but in a couple days things will be much more clear - literally and figuratively.

Hang in there! I'd be into my third bottle of wine by now, and it's 10:15 am here. ;)

That is great you have more room. Also glad you got in your CG ressie!

I would hope that would apply to mods too they will be in same situation right? I really think that are much better prepared for this then Matthew. One reason that there has been a lot more warning.

Yes I would assume this would apply to mods as well. As they open to the outside elements ( again this was from a cast member and not posted on the Disney site).

I can see heading to WDW if you are a local. Just the fact that they have underground wires will lessen the chance that the complex loses power, which could make riding out the storm more comfortable to say the least.

I do feel bad for the people in the Tampa area. I forget the day now, but people were thinking that this storm would go east and hit SC (which would of course have been bad for those folks)

We are currently on 75 south heading to my husband's job so he can pick up a generator for us to use. Traffic is not bad in either direction right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter