I’ve changed my mind on DVC (for awhile)

I respect the way you feel.

I agree that not everything is exactly as it was when I bought in 2000.

But reading your post, a lot of what you describe is Disney and the parks. Not DVC.

I agree with the bland refurbishments. But, some of it I'm happy with. A little more whimsy would be more to my taste. Dirty rooms. I've been pretty lucky. I haven't seen the amount of dirt described on here. Not saying it's not happening. There was that one sofa with the very dirty arm. I called and it was cleaned, but - I should not have had to call.

I maintain an annual pass most of the time, so don't worry about how much a ride costs me. If I was paying by the ride I'd probably never ride anything.

Since I'm older I'm really paying for a pass to wander around in the parks, sit in a cool show once in awhile, have a meal in whatever restaurant will seat me - rarely make ADR's or fast passes. So what I'm expecting from Disney is significantly different from your family needs. Neither is wrong and both of us can choose with our feet.

There are definitely things that bother me in the overall picture. When I travel alone, I can almost count on being assigned a handicapped room. I've learned to check out the room because some of the accommodations are fine. Some aren't. So, most times that's where I sleep but if the room is the kind I truly dislike, I get myself moved. No apologies for that as I get those rooms way more than the average guest - when I travel solo. With family, never happens. Solo trips are 2-3 times per year.

I really dislike that when people have a problem and complain, instead of addressing problems that may impact all, they throw some fast passes at it. I'm not referring to stuff where someone should get compensation such as not getting their room in an acceptable time. Rooms should be ready by four and every hour after that is time I figure I paid for. After all, I also have a set time to vacate.

My other big peeve is parking.

So, I also have a small share of issues but so far I'll keep my points. I'm curious which resort you are going to sell? I keep wanting more Hilton Head points and have to hold myself back. I think the more invested we become, the more aggrieved we are at problems.
Hilton Head Aug UY....will list whenever they get around to unborrowing points. Today is 15 days since cancelled so we shall see if it gets done or I have to spend 2 hours on hold to speak to MS. Assuming I don't get a busy signal non stop like I have been.

Been DVC owners for many years and home is OKW. I guess there have been changes but i wouldn't trade the memories and of our visit for anything. We have taken many people with us over the years and never had any complaints. Changes have happen and i dont feel like we have been mistreated. Would we like some things back yes. The maintenace fees are our isses but then i look at OKW and how open it all is and realize it is not easy to maintain. Will be going again soon we hope.

There are definitely things that bother me in the overall picture. When I travel alone, I can almost count on being assigned a handicapped room. I've learned to check out the room because some of the accommodations are fine. Some aren't. So, most times that's where I sleep but if the room is the kind I truly dislike, I get myself moved. No apologies for that as I get those rooms way more than the average guest - when I travel solo. With family, never happens. Solo trips are 2-3 times per year.

If you aren't having this problem with family, how about just putting a friend or two names on the reservation? That way you aren't a solo traveler, Disney doesn't know any better, and maybe your friends just might join you.

If you aren't having this problem with family, how about just putting a friend or two names on the reservation? That way you aren't a solo traveler, Disney doesn't know any better, and maybe your friends just might join you.

Lol, I've had that thought several times! It happened at BCV in November 2019 when I had a friend with me, but the room was lovely, great location and the bathroom set up didn't bother me. I moved twice that trip because of adding on 3 nights at the start of my visit. VGF, also a handicapped room, but again it was fine. Then once I was at BWV, I was in my usual location down by the tennis courts and far away from any HA rooms. I think they have a note in my file to put me there as I always tell them that's what I prefer.

I have noticed on my dashboard that they will change from a 'regular' room and actually specify that you are getting a handicapped room a few days before you arrive. So, I'm guessing this assignment is done at MS before the hotel gets the info. One time I called and complained and the guy tried to tell me it was because I had just booked. Yeah right - my BWV food and wine reservation from 8am day of 11 month window opening. He ended with, 'well - somebody has to get it'.

I agree with that. But, not every time.

@Judique
We too have gotten an HA room the past 2 or 3 times. And not as solo traveler. I think once they assign that to someone and that person doesn't complain they then flag their membership as accepting of it so they assign it every time they have one to get rid of. Another of my issues. We had a GV at Jambo for Dec with friends....4 adults and 4 college girls. Used a ton of points to book and got THE only HA GV in Jambo. It was so ugly with the missing cabinets and low stuff. Stupid shower that spills water all over.

It really is just a Timeshare, one close to the parks, but still a Timeshare. DVC has done better than many, with an awful situation. This year isn't really a good example of normalcy.

You think it was cool to cancel 5 days before check in and not give us all notice, for 1 thing?

Personally I think that was inexcusable. But Disney did it all over... they did the same basic "fib" for their cruise lines for example... "Why yes we are sailing in May and June even though the Coast Guard has shut down cruising"

That said, the rest of it seemed to be handled well IMHO.

@Judique
We too have gotten an HA room the past 2 or 3 times. And not as solo traveler. I think once they assign that to someone and that person doesn't complain they then flag their membership as accepting of it so they assign it every time they have one to get rid of. Another of my issues. We had a GV at Jambo for Dec with friends....4 adults and 4 college girls. Used a ton of points to book and got THE only HA GV in Jambo. It was so ugly with the missing cabinets and low stuff. Stupid shower that spills water all over.

I think you need to quit looking for conspiracy theories.

I have had handicapped rooms and I would never complain. But I certainly don't get it every time.

Maybe you should consider being grateful that they have these because when you need one it won't be "stupid shower" any longer.

I have had handicapped rooms and I would never complain. But I certainly don't get it every time.

Maybe you should consider being grateful that they have these because when you need one it won't be "stupid shower" any longer.

Agree...I have gotten them a few times, but last year, not once in my 6 trips.

I’m the first to call out DVC when I think they’ve mis-stepped.

However, I also have experienced them & WDW, both going above & beyond for me and my family when situations have arisen.

That said, if my AKV res are cancelled for Sept/Oct & Nov/Dec, I am not going to be a very happy camper lol

Been a member for 16yrs and love it. And those that don't well that means more room availability for the rest

DVC is a timeshare and there are tradeoffs to the savings it offers over the same rooms for cash. It's not going to be as flexible as a cash stay and there are limits to what they can do during a situation like the current pandemic. I did lots of research and understood DVC requires a much greater level of commitment compared to cash stays and I'm okay with that. We bought for the long term, and personally I'm not going to get upset about anything happening with DVC with everything else going on in the world and in my life. It's not for everyone though, so better to realize that sooner rather than later.

Agree...I have gotten them a few times, but last year, not once in my 6 trips.

@OrangeCountyCommuter
I had them twice in three trips in my last 8 months. I take on average 3-4 trips a year to Disney and on average I'm assigned these rooms 75% of the time. If you haven't had one in 6 trips you are doing well.

As I said in a previous post, I don't mind some of the HA rooms. But once in a while I actually enjoy taking a bath. Plus, as @lovin'fl said so eloquently - 'stupid showers'. Those are annoying when water is all over the floor. No one is ungrateful that these facilities exist, but for someone NOT in a wheelchair needing a roll in situation a drenched floor in itself can be dangerous, especially for a solo traveler who might slip and fall in a room by themselves.

I have heard others mention they get the HA rooms all the time. Some folks try to request they NOT get them anymore but still do. Some mentioned being told they were 'checked off' as being okay with an HA room. I dont know if its such a 'conspiracy theory. They have to assign the rooms to someone and I am sure a high % who get them go to desk and ask to be switched, like 7 out of 10. So if they find a sucker like me who will just accept one....they keep on assigning to me.

I agree HA are great for those who need it. I dont...yet. So why would I want a room that has a shower that gets the bathroom soaking wet? Or a kitchen with a tiny fridge and microwave sitting on counter and no cabinets below sinks...especailly no cabinets below bathroom sink to store our crap?

I don't mind getting that once in a while because, as I said above, they have to assign them to someone and I don't mind taking my turn. But was odd that 3 of 4 trips in 2019 were in a HA room.

I have heard others mention they get the HA rooms all the time. Some folks try to request they NOT get them anymore but still do. Some mentioned being told they were 'checked off' as being okay with an HA room. I dont know if its such a 'conspiracy theory. They have to assign the rooms to someone and I am sure a high % who get them go to desk and ask to be switched, like 7 out of 10. So if they find a sucker like me who will just accept one....they keep on assigning to me.

I agree HA are great for those who need it. I dont...yet. So why would I want a room that has a shower that gets the bathroom soaking wet? Or a kitchen with a tiny fridge and microwave sitting on counter and no cabinets below sinks...especailly no cabinets below bathroom sink to store our crap?

I don't mind getting that once in a while because, as I said above, they have to assign them to someone and I don't mind taking my turn. But was odd that 3 of 4 trips in 2019 were in a HA room.

Well I guess its a good thing you're selling then. You won't have to get HA rooms anymore :) Good Luck with you sale!

In December they used to offer Merry Member Mixers. They were 3 or 4 parties exclusively for us DVC members. That was kind of replace by Moonlight Magic. With the exception of the first year they have never offered anything for those of us that vacation in December.

Moonlight Magic is way better, IMO. I don’t understand why they can’t do both though.

Well I guess its a good thing you're selling then. You won't have to get HA rooms anymore :) Good Luck with you sale!
Not selling all....had 650 points. Just downsizing. Seems like folks are offended when I say I don't want a HA room every trip. Not sure why. Cause I said they were ugly? Or called the shower crappy for leaking a boatload of water all over the floor? Both are true.

Moonlight Magic is way better, IMO. I don’t understand why they can’t do both though.
It comes down to who is paying for the event. If Marketing doesn't have the cash, it won't happen, unless members want to pay for it.

good thing we own already because there is no way I would buy DVC at this time.

Not selling all....had 650 points. Just downsizing. Seems like folks are offended when I say I don't want a HA room every trip. Not sure why. Cause I said they were ugly? Or called the shower crappy for leaking a boatload of water all over the floor? Both are true.

Something I have learned over the years coming on here is that sometimes its the way you say things, not what you mean. I am sure you did not mean to disparage HA rooms, or HC people.....but IMO it came off as being uncaring to the circumstances of others....I.E. HC people do not have a choice as to what room they get, so they have to deal with the ugliness and shower leaking issues.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter