I banked my points to book Aulani but it's not available. WWYD?

Rent our points instead and just book a regular rack rate room there (or elsewhere)?
This seems to me to be the more certain option. It would also give you the option to book at the Marriott Ko Olina (their 1BR are super nice and probably cheaper than Aulani) or even at a hotel that might be more conveniently located to where your BiL and his GF will be staying. Ko Olina doesn’t have the only beautiful beaches on Oahu!

I do not see them ever reducing that for non owners…and while I don’t own AUL, I would not be thrilled to see my home resort advantage reduced to give non owners a better chance.
I would not be thrilled. Plus, there would be a new chorus of complaints by people claiming that WDW resorts are being flooded with reservations made with Aulani points and they can't get anything at 3 weeks anymore, like they could when they first bought back in 1973.

I was able to book 6/8 nights from 5/26 to 5/31 for a 2br ocean. All I'm missing is 6/1 to 6/3. The days I got was added one by one because of walkers. By the time I got 5/30, I could see that Sat(6/1) and Sunday(6/2) gone.

I would have been able to book all my days on 5/26 had there been NO walkers. I have banked points that expire June use year. Kids would be missing the last 4 days of school, so there's really no other week as an option for me.

Probably stay in Waikiki the last two days if I'm not able to get the waitlist. But I don't know where since we are a party of 9.

I was able to book 6/8 nights from 5/26 to 5/31 for a 2br ocean. All I'm missing is 6/1 to 6/3. The days I got was added one by one because of walkers. By the time I got 5/30, I could see that Sat(6/1) and Sunday(6/2) gone.

I would have been able to book all my days on 5/26 had there been NO walkers. I have banked points that expire June use year. Kids would be missing the last 4 days of school, so there's really no other week as an option for me.

Probably stay in Waikiki the last two days if I'm not able to get the waitlist. But I don't know where since we are a party of 9.
If I had walked it, I would have had it. But also have to be able to sleep at night so here we are. There's got to be a better (more fair) system.

If I had walked it, I would have had it. But also have to be able to sleep at night so here we are. There's got to be a better (more fair) system.

When you have more people who want rooms for specific dates then what is available after Home Resort owners book, someone is going to be left out.

Walking at 7 months is not a guarantee because you don’t know if the same number of rooms are still available for each of the dates you are heading too..unlike at 11 months.

Plus, if it’s just walkers, you can pick up the days when they drop them..if they did not come back for you, then it means that the rooms are booked by people who also wanted your dates.

Hopefully, a waitlist will work out along with stalking.

I would not be thrilled. Plus, there would be a new chorus of complaints by people claiming that WDW resorts are being flooded with reservations made with Aulani points and they can't get anything at 3 weeks anymore, like they could when they first bought back in 1973.
Im not sure its the Aulani points as much as Saratoga points that flood the 7 month mark .

Thinking about this some more, I'm more inclined to vote for renting your points and booking something else. This is mainly because you have no flexibility at all about when you go--it has to be that specific week.

Once you do that, there is no particular reason to go to Aulani. I know a lot of people like it, and I probably would too if I were to go. But, if I am going to Hawaii, I want to go to Hawaii and not Disney's ersatz sanitized version of it. The Ko'Olina development is a set of man-made lagoons, and they don't have much in the way of coral. So Aulani has a Very Large Fish Tank that you can snorkel in. That's great, but I'd much rather snorkel on an actual reef, and many of my favorite spots are not even on Oahu.

Thinking about this some more, I'm more inclined to vote for renting your points and booking something else. This is mainly because you have no flexibility at all about when you go--it has to be that specific week.

Once you do that, there is no particular reason to go to Aulani. I know a lot of people like it, and I probably would too if I were to go. But, if I am going to Hawaii, I want to go to Hawaii and not Disney's ersatz sanitized version of it. The Ko'Olina development is a set of man-made lagoons, and they don't have much in the way of coral. So Aulani has a Very Large Fish Tank that you can snorkel in. That's great, but I'd much rather snorkel on an actual reef, and many of my favorite spots are not even on Oahu.
So we've actually been before (but not to Aulani). This trip was actually mostly about going specifically to Aulani then my BIL jumped onboard and it sort of became about his family + Aulani. I'll probably give it a month or so and then we'll reassess. We'll either scrap the plans with my BIL and tell him it's too complicated and book whatever we can find that's available at Aulani or, if being with my BIL in Hawaii is the priority (we'll have to decide as a family) I'll change in the points in some manner and just book something else.

I booked 3 nights in an Ocean View studio the week before your travel dates. You could see availability going down pretty drastically in the weeks earlier, so I am 100% sympathetic to the OP. I booked the rooms one by one (with waitlists for whatever I had left over). Availability was wonky - single nights would show up and disappear quite a bit - so I thought it was walkers, but it just was slim pickings. I would definitely waitlist while you consider your options with your family. Good luck.

We go to Kauai first and finish the trip off at Aulani, first time in Hawaii. I wanted the Aulani reservation because we have the points and accommodations in Hawaii aren't cheap, not necessarily because Aulani is the destination. That said, there are resorts in Oahu that look lovely for half the price of Aulani's cash rates.

Im not sure its the Aulani points as much as Saratoga points that flood the 7 month mark .
The argument always is that, even with a ton of people using their SSR points as SAP at 7 months, the total number of WDW points still matches the total number required to reserve all WDW villas, and mathematically, everyone would still get a room (of some size or shape or location) at WDW if only WDW points were used there. Like musical chairs where the number of chairs and players are equal, only some chairs are wooden barstools, some are beach chairs, and some are leather recliners. You get charged based on which chair you end up in, but you're still going to get a chair.

It's when you start adding outside points (AUL, VB, HHI, VGC, VDH) that the number of players now exceeds the number of chairs, and if someone with those non-WDW points manages to grab a chair at 7 months, then someone with WDW points is going to lose out. Aulani is the biggest "offender" in many eyes because it's got the most points sold of the non-WDW resorts and for east coasters it's the resort most likely to have points used at WDW rather than the home resort.

As an Aulani owner, let me just say that I and many people disagree with you which is why the OP is having an issue with availability.

Yeah, I understand that my opinion is not particularly popular around these parts. I know a few people who often visit "real" Hawaii and also love Aulani--and I consider those people to have good taste in general. So maybe I'm just missing it, or it's a have to try it to get it thing.

But from over here, I'd rather hang out in my cliff-side view in Princeville, or my oceanfront lanai in Lihu'e. (This could also be because I like Kaua'i more than the other islands, but that's why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors.)

IMG_1474.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

Yeah, I understand that my opinion is not particularly popular around these parts. I know a few people who often visit "real" Hawaii and also love Aulani--and I consider those people to have good taste in general. So maybe I'm just missing it, or it's a have to try it to get it thing.

But from over here, I'd rather hang out in my cliff-side view in Princeville, or my oceanfront lanai in Lihu'e. (This could also be because I like Kaua'i more than the other islands, but that's why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors.)

View attachment 809096

View attachment 809098
Completely fair, but it was built to be a Hawaiian resort by Disney… not a Disney resort that happens to be in Hawai’i

IMO, Joe Rhode built a love letter to Hawai’i, whereas most other resorts could be copied and paste to pretty much any other tropical beach and you wouldn’t know the difference. A real can’t miss if you are traveling with kids and can use DVC to make it affordable.

My wife would say that she likes Aulani because it has a numerous family/kid friendly activities, takes food allergies seriously, and that the lagoon is a lot easier/safer for kids and older grandparents to get into.

Also, I LOVE rainbow reef when the water is warm later in the day. I can pay for a week pass and go whenever I want to.

So, while you prefer non-DVC resorts for reasons that match your preferences AND rightfully point out that there are many great options on Oahu and other Islands that should absolutely be explored… I would withhold judgment on diminishing the things that people find make Aulani a great place for families to stay if using their DVC points makes it affordable.

Withhold judgement? Where’s the fun in that? In the words of Ted Lasso when offered tea: No thank you.

More seriously: this place can be a Disneyphile echo chamber. I will sometimes offer the Loyal Opposition opinion to remind people that the Aulani room they can’t even book is not the only possible place to stay on the islands.

Edited to add: And if I'm being completely honest, even Princeville gives me the heebie-jeebies, as it is strictly a resort community.

Last edited:
Withhold judgement? Where’s the fun in that? In the words of Ted Lasso when offered tea: No thank you.

More seriously: this place can be a Disneyphile echo chamber. I will sometimes offer the Loyal Opposition opinion to remind people that the Aulani room they can’t even book is not the only possible place to stay on the islands.
I agree 100%. If Aulani wasn't in Ko'Olina, there's zero chance you'd ever catch me over on that side of the island. Years ago, long before Aulani was even a scribble on Rhode's sketch book, we took a wander over there on a whim to see the "lagoons". Never went back until we bought DVC there. The whole leeward side of Oahu is way too dry and brown for me.

Sure I own at Aulani, but I grew up in the OC, and Hawaii was our vacation destination. No one thought of traveling across the country when the original Disneyland was literally in our back yard (we'd sit in our front yard in Anaheim watching the fireworks every summer evening), so we went to Hawaii every year for years. Even as an adult, we've continued to do so with our family, so I'm no stranger to Oahu, Kauai, and Maui (curiously I've only been to the Big Island twice, and both on day trips to see the volcanoes). Even when we're at Aulani, I'm off to the North Shore, or heading to the windward side to spend the day either up in Kualoa or on a beach in Kailua.

My vote is also for Kauai for pristine Hawaii.

curiously I've only been to the Big Island twice, and both on day trips to see the volcanoes
I spent time in Hawaii a lot as a kid, and my brother and I will vouch for BI as being well worth a real trip. Spend a few days in Kona, then drive down via South Point to stay near Volcano at least two nights. Then stay near to Hilo (or use Volcano as your homebase) to check out some of Hilo, as well as the Puna District, which is a gem. Come back up around the island 's east side.

A few things not to miss:
  • Volcano Winery
  • VNP, duh
  • Visit one of the Painted Churches
  • Pololu Valley Hike (if you have good knees, it's amazing)
  • Waimea town
  • Kanaloa Octopus Farm (currently closed but when they reopen)
  • Snorkeling at Honaunau Bay
  • Kaimū Bay (super cool)
  • Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park
I could go on all day. It's my favorite island by a lot. I love just sitting in an outdoor hottub near Volcano Village and stargazing.

Pololu Valley Hike (if you have good knees, it's amazing)
This is a great hike---and IMO much (much!) easier than the Kalalau Trail to Hanakapi’ai Beach. (And that's the easy part of the Kalalau).

Waimea town
Some of the best food on the Big Island is up here. The "unpretentious" Merriman's is up there, and Moa Kitchen looks like it shouldn't be good, but it is great.

This is a great hike---and IMO much (much!) easier than the Kalalau Trail to Hanakapi’ai Beach. (And that's the easy part of the Kalalau).

Some of the best food on the Big Island is up here. The "unpretentious" Merriman's is up there, and Moa Kitchen looks like it shouldn't be good, but it is great.
And everything on BI is so much less crowded than either O'ahu or Maui, honestly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter