I banked my points to book Aulani but it's not available. WWYD?

So we’ve never been to Hawaii. But we’ve heard from friends that it’s beautiful but grotty. It’s on our list, just not at the top. We will probably go 2025 or 2026. But we thought we’d want to stay at Aulani or some place like it— maybe the Marriott- a place that would buffer us from the “real” Hawaii. I’m not saying we would never venture out, but we’d like to come home at night to a hotel where everything is pleasant and there is no drama. I mean we get off the ship at Nassau. But we won’t get off at Belize again.
Just about everything in this post is categorically incorrect (no offense: you're basing it on what you've been told). 95% of Hawaii (as a whole, not just Oahu) is pristine, untouched, and beautiful. The 5% that's not so much is virtually all on Oahu, and almost all within the general confines and adjacent areas of Honolulu (including Waikiki).

As the state capital, the location of most of Hawaii's business, industry, and shipping, it stands to reason that Honolulu would have many of the problems plaguing any metropolitan area in any state, but it's obviously a much starker contrast when compared to the beauty of the islands. Pearl Harbor and the huge military presence in Hawaii is also located in and around Honolulu. Because you need to drive from the airport, past Pearl Harbor and other industrial areas in order to get to Ko'Olina (Aulani), you're going to see that aspect of Honolulu as well. Getting away from Honolulu on Oahu, and literally anywhere else on any of the other islands is where you'll find the "real" Hawaii.

Comparing Nassau or anywhere on Belize (or most of the Caribbean for that matter) to pristine Hawaii would be a huge mistake. Whoever told you there is "drama" in Hawaii (beyond whatever typical crime you'd expect in the urban confines of Honolulu) is full of it.

Last edited:
I will add that some of the issues on the islands are caused by the military and the colonialist past (some of the water issues on Maui, the pollution based on military testing and watershed contamination). Some are directly caused by or related to the tourism economy (housing is a huge issue, which can drive homelessness).

I will add that some of the issues on the islands are caused by the military and the colonialist past (some of the water issues on Maui, the pollution based on military testing and watershed contamination). Some are directly caused by or related to the tourism economy (housing is a huge issue, which can drive homelessness).
Agree 100%. Still not even remotely equivalent to the onslaught of grifting, crime, and poverty you get debarking a cruise ship in much of the Caribbean, where you're literally in a third-world country 3 blocks from the pier (which is what I'm guessing the OP is using for comparison). There's a reason the cruise lines build out their own islands. Even getting out of Honolulu into the more built-out residential neighborhoods on Oahu, many would feel like they were back in their own neighborhood on the mainland.

As the state capital, the location of most of Hawaii's business, industry, and shipping, it stands to reason that Honolulu would have many of the problems plaguing any metropolitan area in any state, but it's obviously a much starker contrast when compared to the beauty of the islands.
As another data point in "Kauai is different":

If you visit Kauai, and stay north of the airport, you will drive past the county jail; it is across the street from the Wailua golf course. (As an aside: this a very nice municipal course with reasonable rates.)

One one of our trips there we were taking a ride share and the driver pointed it out. "But this is a small island, and we all know everybody else's business. That's one reason why not much happens here--everyone you know will know you were cooling your heels if you get in trouble."

DW and I are the wrong people to ask about the perception of safety. I used to live on the "wrong" side of Shattuck Avenue in Oakland as an undergrad, and she lived about two blocks from the public housing buildings in Baltimore that were the epicenter of The Wire when she was in med school. But I think you'd have to try pretty hard to come to the conclusion that Hawaii was a dangerous place. It is a place of profound income inequality, but that's not the same thing as "not safe."

Just about everything in this post is categorically incorrect (no offense: you're basing it on what you've been told). 95% of Hawaii (as a whole, not just Oahu) is pristine, untouched, and beautiful. The 5% that's not so much is virtually all on Oahu, and almost all within the general confines and adjacent areas of Honolulu (including Waikiki).

As the state capital, the location of most of Hawaii's business, industry, and shipping, it stands to reason that Honolulu would have many of the problems plaguing any metropolitan area in any state, but it's obviously a much starker contrast when compared to the beauty of the islands. Pearl Harbor and the huge military presence in Hawaii is also located in and around Honolulu. Because you need to drive from the airport, past Pearl Harbor and other industrial areas in order to get to Ko'Olina (Aulani), you're going to see that aspect of Honolulu as well. Getting away from Honolulu on Oahu, and literally anywhere else on any of the other islands is where you'll find the "real" Hawaii.

Comparing Nassau or anywhere on Belize (or most of the Caribbean for that matter) to pristine Hawaii would be a huge mistake. Whoever told you there is "drama" in Hawaii (beyond whatever typical crime you'd expect in the urban confines of Honolulu) is full of it.
The people we know own a house there and have owned it in their family for almost 100 years. We know them quite well, and they would not lie to us. They love Hawaii but say it has gone downhill dramatically over the last 10 years. I was comparing it to the Caribbean in jest! I guess no jokes on disboards. But I mean, no offense, we travel a lot, and there are cities in the continental US where we feel about as safe as we do in Nassau. So it doesn’t surprise me to hear that Hawaii has problems too. I’m sure Hawaii is beautiful. I never said it wasn’t.

We didn't take a vacation last year so we could bank our points forward for a trip to Aulani for the first time (not our home resort). I
What would you do? Remain in limbo for awhile with the hope that the wait list comes through? Rent our points instead and just book a regular rack rate room there (or elsewhere)? Skip the entire trip and try again some other time?
Hi!! I'd keep up the stalking and waitlists and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that some dates work out. Maybe it's still far enough out that people will cancel and open up availability. I still can't believe our luck last year when we found a studio within a week of our stay, but that was pretty random, and obviously you need to be able to plan flights, etc.

(why this thread evolved into why you should/shouldn't visit Aulani or even Hawaii is beyond me... we think Aulani is lovely and I don't think you posted to ask opinions on the resort, but rather looking for advice on trying to book a popular DVC option)

(why this thread evolved into why you should/shouldn't visit Aulani or even Hawaii is beyond me... we think Aulani is lovely and I don't think you posted to ask opinions on the resort, but rather looking for advice on trying to book a popular DVC option)
Eh, it doesn't bother me overly much. This is a discussion forum, after all. I'm fine with people...discussing as long as it doesn't get unkind (which some of these, honestly, have bordered on, unfortunately).

I wonder if this happens often? People save up their points to use at Aulani at 7 months, then availability isn't what they thought it would be.

I wonder if this happens often? People save up their points to use at Aulani at 7 months, then availability isn't what they thought it would be.
I think that is very dependent on when you want to go. I was able to book a 2BR and 1 Studio (both I/G view) for the first full week of February at the 7 month mark. I did not walk the reservations and the dates were available for a couple of weeks after we booked.

Last edited:
I think that is very dependent on when you want to go. I was able to book a 2BR and 1 Studio for the first week of February at the 7 month mark. I did not walk the reservations and the dates were available for a couple of weeks after we booked.
What view is the 2 bedroom? I have never had problems booking a 1 bedroom (not surprised) but probably need a 2 bedroom in Feb. 2025.

What view is the 2 bedroom? I have never had problems booking a 1 bedroom (not surprised) but probably need a 2 bedroom in Feb. 2025.
Both rooms are I/G View. We are hoping for a sliver of ocean view. I just didn't think it was worth the extra points, when some of those views didnt seem much better.

Well, I just thought I'd provide an update about my WL for June. At this point I have three of my nights: the two first nights, then I have a gap, and then one more night and then my last night I still don't have. I got pretty excited because I got those three nights in pretty close succession near the end of December and since then nothing.

I have my WL set up for each of the holes. FINGERS CROSSED but I'm going to be honest, I'm looking into other options. What we would probably do is drop that middle date and just stay Aulani for our first couple of nights to experience it and then move to wherever my brother in law and his girlfriend end up booking, which is fine but will probably feel like a big step down. And then I'm going to have a bunch of leftover points that we banked so that will be a little annoying to figure those out. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I'm also stalking a couple of times a day.

A question about WL, do we know how it works? Like, let's say someone cancels June 1-7 and I only need June 6-7 but someone else has a WL for June 1-7 but I set mine up first. Will it match me first for just that one night and then find the next person who has any of those dates or will it skip me and find someone that needs all of the dates that just opened?

Like, let's say someone cancels June 1-7 and I only need June 6-7 but someone else has a WL for June 1-7 but I set mine up first. Will it match me first for just that one night and then find the next person who has any of those dates or will it skip me and find someone that needs all of the dates that just opened?
It will match your one night, then move on to the next full match.

which is fine but will probably feel like a big step down
I wouldn't be sure of that. Kind of depends what you book. The Marriott villas in Ko'Olina are in many respects nicer than Aulani IMO.

It will match your one night, then move on to the next full match.

I wouldn't be sure of that. Kind of depends what you book. The Marriott villas in Ko'Olina are in many respects nicer than Aulani IMO.
I'll see if we can afford that! LOL.

Update: we are fully booked! :)

Yesterday I was refreshing for the umpteenth time when lo! One of my nights was available! I snagged it. That made four of the five nights. I had a WL set for the fifth night, the middle night. Today I got that blessed email that Disney couldn't wait to welcome me home. I called member services today to have them merge together all five of my nights and later I got the confirmation it had been done. I have one big happy 5 night reservation.

So it all worked out. Moral of the story: refresh refresh refresh. I actually had a bookmark set up and I would refresh several times a day. Some of my nights I got from WL and some from refreshing so both methods work!

Yesterday I was refreshing for the umpteenth time when lo! One of my nights was available! I snagged it. That made four of the five nights. I had a WL set for the fifth night, the middle night. Today I got that blessed email that Disney couldn't wait to welcome me home. I called member services today to have them merge together all five of my nights and later I got the confirmation it had been done. I have one big happy 5 night reservation.

So it all worked out. Moral of the story: refresh refresh refresh. I actually had a bookmark set up and I would refresh several times a day. Some of my nights I got from WL and some from refreshing so both methods work!
That is awesome! Aulani is such a lovely resort. Very happy for you. Persistence pays!

Great update—congrats!

BTW, we’ve taken more than 30 trips to Hawaii and stayed on all the islands (got married on Lanai, only done day trips to Molokai though), and I think Aulani will expose you to many more elements of authentic Hawaiian culture (if you choose to explore the hotel and all of the educational opportunities it offers) than most of the other big resorts. Sure, it’s probably not the same as staying with a Hawaiian family BnB, but it’s less generic than the majority of 4 and 5 star hotels across the islands. If this is your one and only trip (or even once a decade) I’d make an effort to visit a couple of the other iconic spots around the island.

If you want to do the free and paid activities, make sure to keep an eye on the available booking dates—the free kids club time slots can go quickly, and some of the paid stuff does as well.

Great update—congrats!

BTW, we’ve taken more than 30 trips to Hawaii and stayed on all the islands (got married on Lanai, only done day trips to Molokai though), and I think Aulani will expose you to many more elements of authentic Hawaiian culture (if you choose to explore the hotel and all of the educational opportunities it offers) than most of the other big resorts. Sure, it’s probably not the same as staying with a Hawaiian family BnB, but it’s less generic than the majority of 4 and 5 star hotels across the islands. If this is your one and only trip (or even once a decade) I’d make an effort to visit a couple of the other iconic spots around the island.

If you want to do the free and paid activities, make sure to keep an eye on the available booking dates—the free kids club time slots can go quickly, and some of the paid stuff does as well.
Excellent comments. I totally agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter