I Love Credit Cards and Japan!

Your phone will almost certainly work on the Japanese cell networks. How fast it'll work is going to depend on your carrier's roaming agreements.
We used our Tmobile plan in Japan. We were able to get text messages and were able to use data, since it's free included with our plan. The data worked fine and was 3G speeds. However, only 5gb of international is included on each phone, so I had to buy Ubigi e-sim for the last 3 days when I ran out of data (which were our Disney days). My DH was able to get away with only using our free data, as he wasn't the one using navigation on his phone (I did that all on mine, so I used more).

4 in business is possible on JAL, at least from the west coast. But you need to stalk around calendar open. We're doing SFO-NRT on JAL booked with BA. It was 77,250 Avios and $284 taxes, one-way, per person. On the way back, CTS-HND-SFO for 89,750 Avios and $301 taxes. BA charges by segment, so it was a bit expensive to add CTS-HND, but I wanted it on one ticket.

Last trip, we also did JAL in biz through AA. SJC-SEA-NRT, KIX-LAX back. It was 60k AA one-way, per person. Booked before Japan opened and flying on Christmas Day lol. AA calendar opens later than BA, so I don't anticipate being able to book with AA for 4 again.

It's also possible to book through Cathay, which I've never done. It costs 89k, but I think they're region based, so more advantageous for east coast. BA is distance based. They release 5 days earlier than BA. But redeposit fee is more ($120), BA is $55, AA is free.

When did you book these two trips? I know there was a crazy amount of award availability in April but I always thought it would normally be hard to find more than 2 seats.

One thing to keep in mind is that Cathay requires activity every 18 months to keep your points while American is 24 months and British Airways is 36 months. So if you have leftover points or change your plans, it's probably best to have British Airways Avios. AA is also good because they don't pass on fuel surchages in most cases.

When did you book these two trips? I know there was a crazy amount of award availability in April but I always thought it would normally be hard to find more than 2 seats.

One thing to keep in mind is that Cathay requires activity every 18 months to keep your points while American is 24 months and British Airways is 36 months. So if you have leftover points or change your plans, it's probably best to have British Airways Avios. AA is also good because they don't pass on fuel surchages in most cases.

The last trip I booked Feb 2022. The next one was this past June. I've booked a few other times too that were pandemic canceled. If you look at the last 2 weeks at calendar end, you can see availability for 4 on some dates. I've also seen 6 and even 8!

AA is the best deal. Our flight out was only $11 in taxes and $52 coming back. We're tied to the school schedule though, so worth it to me to go through BA for a better shot.

Has anybody stayed at Hilton Tokyo or Conrad Tokyo? Debating on which part of town would be best.

Has anybody stayed at Hilton Tokyo or Conrad Tokyo? Debating on which part of town would be best.
I haven’t stayed at either but I would vote for the Hilton because we love the Shinjuku area and Yoyogi park. We’re staying near there in May. It depends on what you have planned though and what area those things are in

I've stayed at the Conrad. The lobby has a bit of that dark, formal luxury vibe and the views are nice. It's better for Tokyo station, Ginza, Odaiba and Asakusa. The walkable area isn't that interesting though so this is a much better option for someone wtih Hilton Gold or Diamond status who enjoys luxury hotels.

I haven't stayed at the Hilton but it's better for Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro and Harajuku. This location is potentially a bit more exciting for a first time visitor interested in trying inexpensive food.

It really depends on what you want to do and what your budget is. As a Hilton Diamond member, I'd pick the Conrad when paying with points and the Hilton when paying in cash.

I think I checked that one and it was booked. I ended up booking the Villa Fontaine Grand, which is attached. We arrive at 8:00 pm and leave the next morning at 8:30, so it seemed the most convenient.
Yes that's brand new. I haven't stayed at that one yet, so didn't want to recommend a place where I haven't been. If it's good, please let us know!

We're planning a trip to Japan in late June 2025. After spending $6k 🤮 for airfare for 4 to Europe for summer 2024, I'm hoping to start strategizing getting at least a couple award tickets for our Japan flights. Unfortunately I'm a week into researching and I still have no idea what the best plan is 😂 Flying from the northeast USA, seems like I can aim to go through AA or BA for JAL, or UA or AC for ANA, or UA directly. But all the reward charts and figuring out which credit cards can transfer to which airlines is making my head spin!

We're planning a trip to Japan in late June 2025. After spending $6k 🤮 for airfare for 4 to Europe for summer 2024, I'm hoping to start strategizing getting at least a couple award tickets for our Japan flights. Unfortunately I'm a week into researching and I still have no idea what the best plan is 😂 Flying from the northeast USA, seems like I can aim to go through AA or BA for JAL, or UA or AC for ANA, or UA directly. But all the reward charts and figuring out which credit cards can transfer to which airlines is making my head spin!

Only Bilt transfers to AA, which is a little niche, so you'd probably have to earn them directly. BA and AC both transfer from Chase UR and Amex MRs. Capital One too, but I'm less familiar with that program. UA only transfers from Chase URs.

"Northeast USA" is pretty vague. JAL has a direct flight from Boston to Tokyo. Citi can transfer to Cathay Pacific and you can exchange their points for JAL awards. That's what I did.

"Northeast USA" is pretty vague. JAL has a direct flight from Boston to Tokyo. Citi can transfer to Cathay Pacific and you can exchange their points for JAL awards. That's what I did.
Cathay wasn't on my radar! Thanks!

Chase UR and AmEx MR are generally the most flexible, with transfer partners. Personally, I have had more luck with UR for flight redemptions. UR transfers to United. We are stopping in HI on the way, but I booked United to HNL, Delta from HNL to Tokyo and then United from Tokyo to IAH. I have also booked two intra Japan flights using United pts for ANA flights (booked on United).

If you want more specific credit card/cc pt info, check out the I LOVE CREDIT CARDS thread on the Budget Board.

I know pocket wifi and e-sim cards were discussed previously, but I am just now starting to look into this detail of my trip. Can someone please help me understand why either is necessary? I have AT&T and have used it internationally with no problems.

I know pocket wifi and e-sim cards were discussed previously, but I am just now starting to look into this detail of my trip. Can someone please help me understand why either is necessary? I have AT&T and have used it internationally with no problems.
We have T-Mobile. Our plan includes 5GB of international data at no extra charge. After that, we were throttled down to speeds so slow that nothing would load. We used Ubigi e-sim for the last 2 days of our trip after we ran out of included data. I think the cost was only like $3-5. I know companies like Verizon charge an arm and a leg for international data... sometimes $10 a day! E-Sims are very affordable; you can get a decent amount of data, certainly enough for a 2 week trip, and it's only around $10-15 total.

If your plan supports international data, or if you're willing to pay AT&T for that data, and if AT&T has a roaming agreement with one or more Japanese providers, then your phone will work just fine in Japan. They no longer use incompatible technology for their cell phone networks.

So, you'll want to ask AT&T if they support mobile data in Japan and what it'll cost you. A pocket WiFi or Japanese SIM card might be cheaper, though.

you only get 5gb on t mobile so you have to watch your data usage, in this day and age 5gb is barely anything. essentially that means no social media, and you'd have to pre download map locations on google maps.

e sim apparently works pretty well, but I just used a pocket wifi. Yes, it's an extra thing to carry but it had unlimited data. It was also helpful in the hotels because some hotels may not have good connectivity.

Back in 2015 my friend had AT&T and they had unlimited data, which was absurd. I remember my verizon plan was a lousy 100mb of data, 2 hours of calling, and 100 text. Regardless, it just depends on what you want I guess.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter