I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you PC an old Chase Slate card to a Chase Freedom card? DH has an old Chase Slate card that I don’t want to be closed by the lender and we would use if I could switch it to a Freedom.

With all this Hawaii talk I thought I would join in and ask for advice as well. @hulagirl @Lain My family(me, wife, and 13 year old son) will be taking a 10 day trip to Oahu/Maui during next March. We are planning 3 days in Oahu the rest in Maui. I don't yet have a hotel booked for Oahu but it will be somewhere on Waikiki beach. We are splitting the Maui stay with 3 days at Hyatt Regency and the rest at the Grand Wailea. Beyond a hotel recommendation on Waikiki, I was hopeful for some suggestions on things to do in Maui and places to eat. There seems like a lot of things to do but I want to try and narrow it down a realistic list of activities while having enough relaxation time at the hotels and on the beach/pool areas. I thank churning for all of the Hilton/Hyatt/SW/UR points which will make most of this trip free. Never would have made it to Hawaii from Indiana without them
Uh oh. You activated me again. lol I'm SO glad you are taking your 13 yr old son! And yeah, I hear you. I travel there from NY and that is a heck of a long expensive flight. I'm super grateful for miles in this regard.

I was just in Waikiki last July. I don't often stay there, but decided to spend two days before heading on to Kauai. I assumed I would hate it but honestly... it has a really fun, funky vibe I enjoyed a lot during my time there. I was at the Hyatt Place just a block or two off the main drag but I visited the Hyatt Regency and it looks really nice. I thought several times during those two days, how much my boys would have loved it. (especially when we visited the Tesla showroom in the International Marketplace.) Also, look up the Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace.:)

As for Maui, that will require a whole other post. lol I always tell people that the Hawaiian Islands are like sisters from the same family. You know they're related, but they're all so different in feel and personality, you can't really know the family... without visiting each sister and finding out who she is. Oahu is the wild child. She likes to party and stay up late and she's complicated and sometimes messy... but underneath it all, she has a softer side that she only shows to those willing to dive a little deeper and find out who she really is. Maui though... Maui is the laid back one. She's a little bit hippie, a little bit paniolo (Hawaiian word for cowboy;-)), she eats healthy food, surfs at dawn and uses a skateboard to get around town. If you stay down on the beach, you will only see her on the surface though. You have only to travel to Up Country, and the wilds of her summit on Haleakala, or smell her fields of lavender to see there's a lot more to her than first meets the eye. I'll be back with some pictures of her later but in terms of food, look for Grandma's Coffee House, Mama's Fish House, Merriman's in Kapalua, Polli's Mexican, the steakhouse and Italian places in Makawao (I know but I just love the feel of these places), Ululani's Shave Ice in Lahaina, and don't miss Coconut Glen's on the Road to Hana. I'll offer some suggestions for things to do in a bit.:)

Last edited:
We've stayed at the HHV in the Lagoon Tower on a timeshare exchange and loved it. Lucked out on a unit with a gorgeous view. It's a city onto itself, on the edge of Waikiki and further away from many of the restaurants and shopping (closer to Ala Moana Mall though). Those would be the cons, but we didn't mind. DS loved the pool, the wide, long beach, the lagoon you can pedal boat on, fireworks on Friday nights, and onsite Lappert's ice cream. I appreciated the onsite Starbucks. :D

Parking is expensive and you don't need a car if you're not going out of Waikiki. There are a couple of car rental places across the street that are fairly convenient and cheaper than the onsite place. We stayed a week but only rented a car for a day to go to the North Shore. We'd been a few times before, so the trip was mainly to relax and eat lots of delicious Japanese food. :)

Maui - I would say Haleakala is a must do. Such an otherworldly landscape. Our last trip on the way back, we stopped at Kula Country Farms. We were too late to do the u-pick strawberries, so bought some instead and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. @Lain mentioned a lavender farm before. I didn't know it then, but that's right there too. Also high on the list would be the Road to Hana. It's the journey, not the destination. :) First trip (many years ago before kids) we made it to Hana and then drove back in the dark since we didn't leave early enough. Last trip, DD (age 1 at the time) got car sick. We ate our picnic lunch that we picked up in Paia, under a gazebo at the Garden of Eden, and then headed back. So we made it halfway to Hana, but still an enjoyable day. One day, I'd like to make it past Hana. I really like Iao Valley too, very scenic and easy to explore since all the trails are paved.

If you don't have it already, I'd recommend getting the Maui Revealed book. Really comprehensive and lots of pictures. I have all 4 of their books, 1 for each island. :)
Loved this response!

I have a question about the lounges in Denver. DD is meeting up with some friends there and I wondering if there is a lounge they can go to after the flight arrives. She has a platinum card and a priority pass card. There will be 4 of them, but I remembered people posting about a restaurant so maybe that could work?
Theres often a wait, I've never seen it above 20 mins though it always looks like a ton of people waiting. Last trip we got there just after 3pm and were seated immediately. Weve never used it on arrival. I think technically the website says for departure only but I've never seen them check boarding passes. They do ask for a boarding time so I'd just give them one that is at least an hour out.

FYI: MICKEY WAFFLE LOVERS!

The Mickey Mouse 90th Anniversary Double Flip Waffle Maker is back in stock at shopDisney. $64.95. Limit 2. Use code SHIPMAGIC for free shipping over $75. Remember to use a shopping portal for extra cash back.

ETA: This waffle maker makes deep waffles like the ones in the parks, not the pancake-y ones most waffle irons make. It's already sold out at least 2 times and I've seen it go for crazy amounts on eBay.

Last edited:
Uh oh. You activated me again. lol I'm SO glad you are taking your 13 yr old son! And yeah, I hear you. I travel there from NY and that is a heck of a long expensive flight. I'm super grateful for miles in this regard.

I was just in Waikiki last July. I don't often stay there, but decided to spend two days before heading on to Kauai. I assumed I would hate it but honestly... it has a really fun, funky vibe I enjoyed a lot during my time there. I was at the Hyatt Place just a block or two off the main drag but I visited the Hyatt Regency and it looks really nice. I thought several times during those two days, how much my boys would have loved it. (especially when we visited the Tesla showroom in the International Marketplace.) Also, look up the Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace.:)

As for Maui, that will require a whole other post. lol I always tell people that the Hawaiian Islands are like sisters from the same family. You know they're related, but they're all so different in feel and personality, you can't really know the family... without visiting each sister and finding out who she is. Oahu is the wild child. She likes to party and stay up late and she's complicated and sometimes messy... but underneath it all, she has a softer side that she only shows to those willing to dive a little deeper and find out who she really is. Maui though... Maui is the laid back one. She's a little bit hippie, a little bit paniolo (Hawaiian word for cowboy;-)), she eats healthy food, surfs at dawn and uses a skateboard to get around town. If you stay down on the beach, you will only see her on the surface though. You have only to travel to Up Country, and the wilds of her summit on Haleakala, or smell her fields of lavender to see there's a lot more to her than first meets the eye. I'll be back with some pictures of her later but in terms of food, look for Grandma's Coffee House, Mama's Fish House, Merriman's in Kapalua, Polli's Mexican, the steakhouse and Italian places in Makawao (I know but I just love the feel of these places), Ululani's Shave Ice in Lahaina, and don't miss Coconut Glen's on the Road to Hana. I'll offer some suggestions for things to do in a bit.:)

Wow. You really are a phenomenal writer! Folks and friends are always asking my wife for advice on which Hawaiian island to visit, but I've never heard their similarities and differences described like you just did.

We've stayed at the HHV in the Lagoon Tower on a timeshare exchange and loved it. Lucked out on a unit with a gorgeous view. It's a city onto itself, on the edge of Waikiki and further away from many of the restaurants and shopping (closer to Ala Moana Mall though). Those would be the cons, but we didn't mind. DS loved the pool, the wide, long beach, the lagoon you can pedal boat on, fireworks on Friday nights, and onsite Lappert's ice cream. I appreciated the onsite Starbucks. :D

Parking is expensive and you don't need a car if you're not going out of Waikiki. There are a couple of car rental places across the street that are fairly convenient and cheaper than the onsite place. We stayed a week but only rented a car for a day to go to the North Shore. We'd been a few times before, so the trip was mainly to relax and eat lots of delicious Japanese food. :)

Maui - I would say Haleakala is a must do. Such an otherworldly landscape. Our last trip on the way back, we stopped at Kula Country Farms. We were too late to do the u-pick strawberries, so bought some instead and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. @Lain mentioned a lavender farm before. I didn't know it then, but that's right there too. Also high on the list would be the Road to Hana. It's the journey, not the destination. :) First trip (many years ago before kids) we made it to Hana and then drove back in the dark since we didn't leave early enough. Last trip, DD (age 1 at the time) got car sick. We ate our picnic lunch that we picked up in Paia, under a gazebo at the Garden of Eden, and then headed back. So we made it halfway to Hana, but still an enjoyable day. One day, I'd like to make it past Hana. I really like Iao Valley too, very scenic and easy to explore since all the trails are paved.

If you don't have it already, I'd recommend getting the Maui Revealed book. Really comprehensive and lots of pictures. I have all 4 of their books, 1 for each island. :)

I share in @hulagirl 's love of this response! Someday I'll make it to Maui and actually stay a few days.

I know multiple people here have mentioned it, but I watched the first episode of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel last night. That show is hysterical!!! Definitely binge watching it this weekend while DH is out of town! After I see Aladdin tonight, of course.

id45.gif

5I7CmDa.jpg

Ok ok. Maybe Independence Day 2 President Whitmore.

FYI: MICKEY WAFFLE LOVERS!

The Mickey Mouse 90th Anniversary Double Flip Waffle Maker is back in stock at shopDisney. $64.95. Limit 2. Use code SHIPMAGIC for free shipping over $75. Remember to use a shopping portal for extra cash back.

ETA: This waffle maker makes deep waffles like the ones in the parks, not the pancake-y ones most waffle irons make. It's already sold out at least 2 times and I've seen it go for crazy amounts on eBay.
Got it. Been looking for a while actually. Thanks for the heads up!

Can you PC an old Chase Slate card to a Chase Freedom card? DH has an old Chase Slate card that I don’t want to be closed by the lender and we would use if I could switch it to a Freedom.

Yes, absolutely! You need to call Chase at the number on the back of the card to PC. Chase doesn't allow PC via SM anymore. But yes, do it! The Chase Freedom card actually earns URs! And this quarter should be easy to maximize with 5%/5x UR at grocery and home improvement stores.

Folks and friends are always asking my wife for advice on which Hawaiian island to visit, but I've never heard their similarities and differences described like you just did.
Thank you, Lain!:)
Someday I'll make it to Maui and actually stay a few days.
Such a short hop to any of the other islands... and sooooo worth it.

Here's some incentive:
The summit of Haleakala at sunrise. My dad stood up here and cried, just before he joined the Navy and left his homeland.
It really is not to be missed. Bring blankets and mittens and jackets. It's COLD up there, for real! At one point, I turned and
looked behind me and I saw a red van traveling up the road above the clouds. It was so surreal it looked like someone stuck a matchbox car into the scene,
but I assure you, it was full of about four people. The scale of it all is so majestic and jaw dropping.

IMG_6962.jpg
IMG_6969.jpg IMG_6972.jpg IMG_6980.jpg IMG_6983.jpg photo (35).jpg

DP for CIP 1
Applied: 5/14 went pending
Approved: 5/15
Received Card 5/23 & activated

What is the trick to creating the online log in? I know it's separate since it is a business card, but I keep getting the message already created account. Which I haven't.

Received my Barclay AA Biz yesterday. Was able to activate it and made a test purchase at Walmart where I scored a box of Mickey bars to start our vacation early. Since it worked at Walmart, I came home and paid DSs soccer fees. Also ordered an employee card for DS. Not sure the min age for Barclays but I received a notification saying the card is being processed. My card will be sock drawered now.

Spending today with a few errands, finishing packing, and cleaning house. Spending tonight at Hilton ORD for our flight in am.
Is it wrong that I’m bringing 6 CC on a trip? Plus DHs 2? :rolleyes1

@Lain My 20k BGR referral points are already in my account. Now to wait and see if they remain. The funny thing is I can't see my new BBP account though. I thought it would be there like my Chase CCs are when I get a new one.

With Amex, I’ve never had a new card get automatically added to my online accounts. When you receive the new card, you’ll be asked to confirm you received it, then you can add the card to an existing online management account or create a new one for it.

@Lain My 20k BGR referral points are already in my account. Now to wait and see if they remain. The funny thing is I can't see my new BBP account though. I thought it would be there like my Chase CCs are when I get a new one.

AmEx makes you manually add each card. If you don't have the card yet, you should have received an email with a link to setup the online account. If not if you have the reference ID from the app you can still get setup before it arrives... I just gotta find the link again to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter