I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome thanks for the tips!! Honestly I think all amusement parks are expensive. What I like about Disney is there are some decent options even if they rip you off. Will def head to CityWalk. Staying at RPR. I heard to restaurant at Sapphire falls is good maybe tapas? And Mythos? Do you recommend either.
Also we are just getting the seasonal
AP so I don’t think any discounts right?

Oh good. My kids are huge HP fans so it’s a must do for us as well. We were planning to eat at both HP restaurants you went to. Sounds like we are better off taking a break and heading to hotel or CityWalk. I think like Disney places can be hit or miss. Def have had some crappy expensive meals in HS. Oh and that awful space place in MK. Cosmic rays? Lol
Do you like sushi? The sushi at the Orchid Lounge at RPR is my DS's favorite when we are at Universal. Also recommend Toothsome's. I believe you are thinking of the Strong Water Tavern at Sapphire Falls and I highly recommend it. My fave place so far. Good drinks and excellent small plates.

I'm going to head to reddit to see the news thread and catch up. We are still here at WDW. It has been awful. Worst trip ever. :sad: Sigh.

Started with my moms flight being delayed so we waited at the airport for 2 hours for her. I didn't want to leave for the resort without her, since she doesn't travel ever. Finally got to bed after 1am.
Sunday was pouring rain and cold so we opted to skip the parks and went to Ikea to get stuff for DDs apartment. Did the Snow White dinner that night. It was really good but DD3 was scared of grumpy...and I mean terrified. She wouldn't get off our laps the whole meal and kept looking over her shoulder. Best Disney pic ever of her impersonating evil queen though:
View attachment 379032

Then we woke up that night about 1am to DD3 vomiting. Over and over. No sleep. Around 7am it ended up in my hair, so we had to get up and shower. It was Monday morning now and DD19s move in day. How was that going to work since I was the driver on the car?? My mom ended up staying with hattie while she slept and I drove DD19 to the apartment to get checked in. I left her there and went back to get my mom and DD3. Well DD3 had a bit more energy after her nap so we went to Walmart for more stuff. More vomiting ensued. Then DD3 was acting like she was a normal kid. Had to return the rental at 4pm at dolphin so then took dd3 for another nap. We were still holding out hope of going to after hours at MK....12 hour bug??? She napped 4-6pm and woke up with a fever and miserable. Sigh. I went to the desk and they were kind enough to refund my tickets. Overnight last night was rough. She spiked such a high temp and Motrin wasn't even helping. I Finally at 3am I got her up and put her in the tub to cool her down. We both slept a few hours after that. Woke up this morning with no new fever. Went down to breakfast and she vomits again and feels like her temp is creeping up. Double sigh. So we've been in the room all ay. She is sleeping and DD19 is getting dressed to go to casting. We are supposed to go home tomorrow.
I am considering adding a night or two since SWA is allowing flight changes for free. Waiting to see if DD feels better this evening. If so, I will add them so we can have some park time tomorrow and Thursday at least. If not, we will go home as planned and come back in a few weeks. I guess the plus side is our APs aren't activated yet since we haven't been to a park, so they will last long on the back end than planned. :)

ETA: Oh and we have had plumbing issues, DD19's and my mom's ticket have disappeared from MDE even though they weren't used and concierge reassigned them to new dates for me, and the app has been awful this trip. Maybe I should just go home and try again another time. :scared:
I am so sorry. That is awful.

It sounds like you and I have similar food preferences because I also hate the food at HS and I don’t think I’ve eaten at Cosmic Rays since I was about 15 but it’s definitely what I think of when I think greasy theme park food!
Like those greasy pulled pork sandwiches. Eww. Somehow we ended up at cosmic rays - twice. I think we were starving and it was on of the only late night options. Then they are yum places like Flame Tree go figure!!!
We’ve only stayed at SF once over Thanksgiving when we did a resort only stay besides breakfast didn’t eat there. We typically hit the breakfast buffet and then have dinner so we skip lunch. My DS is very picky so we haven’t tried either of those. We typically go to the same restaurants for all of our visits now.

RPR has a character breakfast buffet on the weekend. I want to say on a Sun morning, if you have kids. DS12 thought the characters were ok but he is kind of past that stage now.
Yes I have a DS12 also. He’s a little over it too but he’ll go along for DD9 who loves that stuff. We get there Sunday afternoon, I think I looked into it and we miss the times. My kids are picky too so I totally get it. Our trip starts 2 days Disney, 7 day RCL cruise and 3 days UO. Told them they need to try some new stuff on the cruise. Broaden their horizons!!!
If you can get there first thing in the morning, I definitely recommend going through the regular lines for Forbidden Journey and Gringotts. The lines are incredibly themed and you’ll miss most of it using EP!
my kids will def want to do that. I’ve heard quite a few of the queues are really cool like that so once we get in all the “must dos” we will explore and take our time

Do you like sushi? The sushi at the Orchid Lounge at RPR is my DS's favorite when we are at Universal. Also recommend Toothsome's. I believe you are thinking of the Strong Water Tavern at Sapphire Falls and I highly recommend it. My fave place so far. Good drinks and excellent small plates.
I like sushi- kids not so much! Good to know maybe we can ditch them!! Yes strong water! Heard really good reviews!! The drinks look awesome!

Like those greasy pulled pork sandwiches. Eww. Somehow we ended up at cosmic rays - twice. I think we were starving and it was on of the only late night options. Then they are yum places like Flame Tree go figure!!!

LOVE Flame Tree! We ate there for the first time in 2017 and are definitely going back this year. Plus the portions are huge. DH and I easily split a sampler.

Awesome thanks for the tips!! Honestly I think all amusement parks are expensive. What I like about Disney is there are some decent options even if they rip you off. Will def head to CityWalk. Staying at RPR. I heard to restaurant at Sapphire falls is good maybe tapas? And Mythos? Do you recommend either.

Oh good. My kids are huge HP fans so it’s a must do for us as well. We were planning to eat at both HP restaurants you went to. Sounds like we are better off taking a break and heading to hotel or CityWalk. I think like Disney places can be hit or miss. Def have had some crappy expensive meals in HS. Oh and that awful space place in MK. Cosmic rays? Lol

If you are upgrading to seasonal AP make sure there is not a Mardi Gras concert during your dates. We did not like Three Broomsticks but did like Finnegans. Toothsome was OK but we like Cowfish better. If you want something quick and cheap and filling we like the jacket potatoes. They are in a little hut outside the Diagon Alley entrance. And we like the big pink donuts.

Well your husband's are going to LOVE our balmy temps the next few days. EVERYTHING is closing for the next 2 days. I had school today, but closed tomorrow and Thursday. I just stocked up on milk and wine, LOL. Bring on the -40!
School canceled the next 2 days here also. DH can work from home but I work in a hospital, gotta go in.

I got a letter offering me an upgrade. The verbiage is odd. First, it says Dear Cardmember, obviously acknowledging I am indeed a cardmember. Then it says I am eligible to switch my Disney Visa to a Disney Premier Visa. But the fine print says I am NOT eligible if I am a current cardmemeber or a previous cardmember. :confused3
Hmm weird. Mine says the 24 months thing "not available to previous cardmembers of this credit card who have received a new cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months"

If you are upgrading to seasonal AP make sure there is not a Mardi Gras concert during your dates. We did not like Three Broomsticks but did like Finnegans. Toothsome was OK but we like Cowfish better. If you want something quick and cheap and filling we like the jacket potatoes. They are in a little hut outside the Diagon Alley entrance. And we like the big pink donuts.
Love baked potatoes!!! Will have to get that! And my kids will want the pink donuts while we have a Duff beer.

I got a letter offering me an upgrade. The verbiage is odd. First, it says Dear Cardmember, obviously acknowledging I am indeed a cardmember. Then it says I am eligible to switch my Disney Visa to a Disney Premier Visa. But the fine print says I am NOT eligible if I am a current cardmemeber or a previous cardmember. :confused3
Exactly!! They know my history with the card. I don't think I will do it...I really have no use for the card even bumped to the 2%. I keep it because I like all...er...most things Disney. I am holding out on a re-launch that I fell maybe coming as well so maybe an upgrade in the future.

Ha I go by the general assumption that all QS in Tomorrowland is terrible at all the parks around the world :D

We like Mythos, good food and think the theming is really neat. Also Toothsome, food is decent (my favorite was the brisket meatloaf) and the shakes are fun, also I'm a sucker for Mason jars for the souvenir cups. Also like Cowfish. We did the Mexican place in City walk too, it was good but I didnt feel like it was any better than what we have at home personally.

I agree with @DisneyMandC about the HP restaurants. I felt like we had a way better experience at US Hollywood when it was new. Neither Orlando locations have been very good, though they are neat to see inside. We went to Monsters Cafe a few weeks ago and it was fine, decent food but enormous portions that could easily be shared.

At RPR we really like Jake's. They do a smaller late night menu until 1am I think. Live music.

Also watch the AP page for discounts... we just did seasonal but they happened to be doing 10% off restaurants back in September on our dates for all passes.

ETA also the characters at Toothsome are really fun, great interactions.

So the actual dimensions listed are different than what Amazon lists. :confused3
That's so weird. Now I'm gonna have to go drag mine out lol

Last edited:
Ha I go by the general assumption that all QS in Tomorrowland is terrible at all the parks around the world :D

We like Mythos, good food and think the theming is really neat. Also Toothsome, food is decent (my favorite was the brisket meatloaf) and the shakes are fun, also I'm a sucker for Mason jars for the souvenir cups. Also like Cowfish. We did the Mexican place in City walk too, it was good but I didnt feel like it was any better than what we have at home personally.

I agree with @DisneyMandC about the HP restaurants. I felt like we had a way better experience at US Hollywood when it was new. Neither Orlando locations have been very good, though they are neat to see inside. We went to Monsters Cafe a few weeks ago and it was fine, decent food but enormous portions that could easily be shared.

At RPR we really like Jake's. They do a smaller late night menu until 1am I think. Live music.

Also watch the AP page for discounts... we just did seasonal but they happened to be doing 10% off restaurants back in September on our dates for all passes.

ETA also the characters at Toothsome are really fun, great interactions.

That's so weird. Now I'm gonna have to go drag mine out lol
Awesome thanks for all the tips. Didn’t know toothsome had characters. Sounds like Cowfish is a must!

Universal food talk. The HP food places are not worth the cost (imho). Actually not sure of what I liked in the park. I haven't been to Mythos. In CityWalk, I really, really like Bread Box. I am a sandwich person so that is one of the reasons. Tater Tots are another. For dinner, DD and I like NBC Grill a lot. There is a lot of variety. We went twice the last time we were there. We ate at the Mexican place but it isn't anything special. I did like the Mariachi band and Margaritas! I tried Toothsome twice. Once just for dessert. It was super packed and by the time we got our dessert, the ice cream was on the melted side. Not a winner. Next time I went for actual dinner and had soup and salad. It was ok.

I'll be honest I sort of live on the popcorn at Universal. I bring my bucket from previous trips and get the refills. That's breakfast:P. I have a popcorn problem.

Would you pay $160 or use 8,000 Hyatt points?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. We are using 30K points for a room that is about $900 per night. But it depends on what you are looking for I guess. And how many points you have, and if you have a use for them or not.

Wow, they just cancelled mail service tomorrow in Minnesota!

Just another normal day in my neighborhood. Seriously I think we get mail about 4 days a week nowadays. :(

If you can get there first thing in the morning, I definitely recommend going through the regular lines for Forbidden Journey and Gringotts. The lines are incredibly themed and you’ll miss most of it using EP!

Another option is just walking through the lines. DH and I did that while DD went on the ride. They have a separate line area for people who just want to take in all the cool sights of the queues. Highly recommended, whichever way you do it. There is so much to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter