I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of applying for the Barkley's 60k AA card for DH. It's $95 AF but no minimum spend (we're a bit tight this year so I'm trying to lower spending and am not actively churning). I would cancel DH's Citi AA card before the AF was due, so he gets the same perks at the same AF and gets an additional 60k miles. Any thoughts? Is there a downside I'm missing?

To my the Barclay has better perks as it give 10% back on miles you redeem!

"Wait so basically I book the $250 room, get the $250 credit from Amex, and then cancel and get the $250 back from the room as well?"

Ack. I wish I had done this last year (I got the card in December). I did get the AA credit by buying $250.00 in AA gcs (which credited). I will get another $250.00 in AA gcs this year, which I will put towards a college tour flight somewhere (not sure where else we are going to tour).

Folks thought they could do the same with the Saks credit. Buy something to trigger the credit, return item, keep the credit, but here Amex is clawing back credits issued for purchases returned 6 months ago. I wouldn’t count on this to be beyond the grasp of Amex RATs’ claws.

Reminder for US Bank Altitude Reserve peeps (are there any out there here?): Remember AR Real Time Rewards redemption has minimums on travel charges that you can redeem points for among it's other redemption gotchas- uh, I mean "rules". I completely forgot about this as I started mapping out what to do with my retention bonus and I was going to make a <$150 payment on my Disney hotel stay and redeem via RTR as soon as the points came through. Nope! Minimum charge for Disney (categorizes as "lodging") is $500 for RTR redemptions. Very happy I stumbled back on that prior to making the charge. (For anyone wondering what I settled on I'm going misc airline expenses. Since the airline minimum redemption via RTR is $10, the baggage fee for an upcoming trip I have can be redeemed with these points at 1.5x, seat upgrades ought to work too and I usual charge a couple of those a year- neither of those are things I'd figured out how to use points to cover so yay!)

Looking for a SW CP expert. I posted this on the transportation board but this thread is so much more active. DH's 52,000 points posted in his RR account for the SW Biz card he opened in October. The statement on his SW personal card just closed yesterday and I see that Chase has awarded him the 60,000 bonus points but they are not in his RR account yet. Can he use some of those 50,000 points already in his RR account earned from the card he opened in October without screwing up his actually getting the CP pass? He should get both the 60,000 points and the notification of CP pass earned any day but I am antsy watching flight prices for our March trip. I would like to buy his flight now with those original points earned, then add his companion (DD) later. Can we do this?

I'm going to head to reddit to see the news thread and catch up. We are still here at WDW. It has been awful. Worst trip ever. :sad: Sigh.

Started with my moms flight being delayed so we waited at the airport for 2 hours for her. I didn't want to leave for the resort without her, since she doesn't travel ever. Finally got to bed after 1am.
Sunday was pouring rain and cold so we opted to skip the parks and went to Ikea to get stuff for DDs apartment. Did the Snow White dinner that night. It was really good but DD3 was scared of grumpy...and I mean terrified. She wouldn't get off our laps the whole meal and kept looking over her shoulder. Best Disney pic ever of her impersonating evil queen though:
View attachment 379032

Then we woke up that night about 1am to DD3 vomiting. Over and over. No sleep. Around 7am it ended up in my hair, so we had to get up and shower. It was Monday morning now and DD19s move in day. How was that going to work since I was the driver on the car?? My mom ended up staying with hattie while she slept and I drove DD19 to the apartment to get checked in. I left her there and went back to get my mom and DD3. Well DD3 had a bit more energy after her nap so we went to Walmart for more stuff. More vomiting ensued. Then DD3 was acting like she was a normal kid. Had to return the rental at 4pm at dolphin so then took dd3 for another nap. We were still holding out hope of going to after hours at MK....12 hour bug??? She napped 4-6pm and woke up with a fever and miserable. Sigh. I went to the desk and they were kind enough to refund my tickets. Overnight last night was rough. She spiked such a high temp and Motrin wasn't even helping. I Finally at 3am I got her up and put her in the tub to cool her down. We both slept a few hours after that. Woke up this morning with no new fever. Went down to breakfast and she vomits again and feels like her temp is creeping up. Double sigh. So we've been in the room all ay. She is sleeping and DD19 is getting dressed to go to casting. We are supposed to go home tomorrow.
I am considering adding a night or two since SWA is allowing flight changes for free. Waiting to see if DD feels better this evening. If so, I will add them so we can have some park time tomorrow and Thursday at least. If not, we will go home as planned and come back in a few weeks. I guess the plus side is our APs aren't activated yet since we haven't been to a park, so they will last long on the back end than planned. :)

ETA: Oh and we have had plumbing issues, DD19's and my mom's ticket have disappeared from MDE even though they weren't used and concierge reassigned them to new dates for me, and the app has been awful this trip. Maybe I should just go home and try again another time. :scared:
Wow I’m really sorry your daughter is so sick and your trip isn’t what you expected. I was looking around for you last night! The app has been terrible for me too.

So many people complain about how expensive Disney is, but I find Universal to be just as or more expensive considering it's just two parks! Of course, I still pay those prices because I love Universal, but still. Have fun on your trip!

About the bonus, that would drive me crazy too, I'd want to know right now!

Totally agree on USO. I was floored by how much our november trip cost us. I didn’t put it all side by side, but I felt like I spent way more two days there than our two days at Disney.

Looking for a SW CP expert. I posted this on the transportation board but this thread is so much more active. DH's 52,000 points posted in his RR account for the SW Biz card he opened in October. The statement on his SW personal card just closed yesterday and I see that Chase has awarded him the 60,000 bonus points but they are not in his RR account yet. Can he use some of those 50,000 points already in his RR account earned from the card he opened in October without screwing up his actually getting the CP pass? He should get both the 60,000 points and the notification of CP pass earned any day but I am antsy watching flight prices for our March trip. I would like to buy his flight now with those original points earned, then add his companion (DD) later. Can we do this?
Absolutely! You can use them all if you want. You don’t have physically have 110k points sitting in your account. There’s a counter on the RR page that keeps track of your points total. Grab the tickets while you can at the lower point price!

Yes you can use the points in his account...they just have to be earned in the same year....

Absolutely! You can use them all if you want. You don’t have physically have 110k points sitting in your account. There’s a counter on the RR page that keeps track of your points total. Grab the tickets while you can at the lower point price!

Yes you can use the points in his account...they just have to be earned in the same year....
Thank you both so much!

Totally agree on USO. I was floored by how much our november trip cost us. I didn’t put it all side by side, but I felt like I spent way more two days there than our two days at Disney.
So many people complain about how expensive Disney is, but I find Universal to be just as or more expensive considering it's just two parks! Of course, I still pay those prices because I love Universal, but still. Have fun on your trip!

About the bonus, that would drive me crazy too, I'd want to know right now!
Funny, I feel the exact opposite. We always stay onsite at the UO resorts with EP and we can get on so many rides without the hassle of fast passes. It is so easy to go between parks without giving up lots of time. Our bill for dinner is never $150-200 for 3 people. I don’t feel the APs are outrageously priced either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter