I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a pretty fun day today. We went to Dave and busters which was busy but we still played everything we wanted. Then we did both character warehouses at the two outlet malls. The one on international drive was much easier to park at. We parked near the back and just walked which was super easy. The Vineland outlet was horrendous as far as parking goes. We ended up just paying the $3 with their app to park.

The stores didn’t have tons of things I liked but I did get two things. I got a Dory hat for $5! I also got a sweatshirt for $18. Dh got a pair of boxers and a Star Wars mug (the mug was $3!). Now we’re at the doubletree near Disney springs and so far I like it. The room is HUGE. I wanted a phone case but the majority of them were 6/7 and I have an 8
I think it’s the same size phone.

Okay, so my IHG options are Myrtle Beach, FL, Tx, Vegas, Gatlinberg Tn, etc. I had a lovely trip to Galveston, TX all planned. Flights on Delta using up my $50 GCs I have ($600 in total). Using my free night at a Hilton in Galveston, my resort credit the other night. And then I heard from people it's a crappy place!!! UGH. I heard the beach is "hard sand" and there aren't really any waves.

So that leave us either using the IHG hotel offer another time. Problem is the ex and I split up Christmas, Presidents weekend flights are $$$$$$$ and my kids and I don't sync Spring Breaks in 2020 (I'm a teacher). My daughter is leaning towards FL, but I worry, FL in Mid-August. 1 - the heat. 2- the hurricanes 3- we wouldn't be doing Disney so it feels like a waste. UGH.

I could drive to Gatlinberg from MI, but we're not really mountain people. And I have no clue what my kids would do while I'm at the presentation, there's only 1 pool. We did Myrtle Beach last summer and they loved it. But they don't want to do the same thing again, and I don't blame them.

So tell me, how bad is the Cocoa Beach area mid-August?

2 quick questions, I've been out of the loop for a while. I have a gold amex that just posted the AF. I don't want to keep the card how long do I have to cancel and get a refund. Or better yet what can I change it to the Blue card? And if I do this will I get to keep my points.?

You can’t change a charge card to a credit card. You could downgrade to the green which has the lower AF. Sorry don’t know the answer to how long to cancel to get the refund!

The iPhone 6/6s/7/8 are so similar in size (2mm difference max) that it most likely would have fit an 8. It may have just been old packaging or something. The newer designs have a bigger camera hole and show them fitting all models. If you find one you really like, you could try seeing if it actually works with your phone before buying it!

View attachment 416851
We have to go back anyway tomorrow because Dh is exchanging his boxers. The hanger said a different size than the boxers and he didn’t realize until we got to the hotel. So I’ll look at cases again and see if I like any

We have to go back anyway tomorrow because Dh is exchanging his boxers. The hanger said a different size than the boxers and he didn’t realize until we got to the hotel. So I’ll look at cases again and see if I like any
Ugh, I hate when that happens with clothes, but hopefully it works out for you and you can get a nice case!

Okay, so my IHG options are Myrtle Beach, FL, Tx, Vegas, Gatlinberg Tn, etc. I had a lovely trip to Galveston, TX all planned. Flights on Delta using up my $50 GCs I have ($600 in total). Using my free night at a Hilton in Galveston, my resort credit the other night. And then I heard from people it's a crappy place!!! UGH. I heard the beach is "hard sand" and there aren't really any waves.

So that leave us either using the IHG hotel offer another time. Problem is the ex and I split up Christmas, Presidents weekend flights are $$$$$$$ and my kids and I don't sync Spring Breaks in 2020 (I'm a teacher). My daughter is leaning towards FL, but I worry, FL in Mid-August. 1 - the heat. 2- the hurricanes 3- we wouldn't be doing Disney so it feels like a waste. UGH.

I could drive to Gatlinberg from MI, but we're not really mountain people. And I have no clue what my kids would do while I'm at the presentation, there's only 1 pool. We did Myrtle Beach last summer and they loved it. But they don't want to do the same thing again, and I don't blame them.

So tell me, how bad is the Cocoa Beach area mid-August?
I grew on the TX gulf coast and went to Galveston a ton growing up and still visit about every two years (I have family who live 30 mins from there) and I can confirm, the beach is hard sand, the water is brown and it's about my least fav beach ever. We end up there cause that area is my 'home' but no way would I spend vacation dollars there. I'd do Myrtle Beach if you are wanting beach.

Having said that, I am trying to find a place for a couple nights in about 12 days. Seriously considering Cocoa Beach at this point. I've looked all up and down the coast of FL from Cocoa down to Fort Lauderdale. We prefer to head north of Boca Raton but I'm really only finding award availability in Fort Lauderdale or in Melbourne/Cocoa Beach areas. I even considered staying in Orlando (around WDW but not on property) and there are no award rooms anywhere!

How bad is Cocoa Beach in mid-Aug? Probably surface of the sun hot lol! We will be at WDW then. I'm expecting the worst of the worst in terms of heat.

I hope so too! I really need one. Tomorrow we’re doing brunch and then AK. I’m hoping to get a same day fp for fop. I’ve been practicing and have gotten one every day so far so we’ll see.
Practicing what?

I grew on the TX gulf coast and went to Galveston a ton growing up and still visit about every two years (I have family who live 30 mins from there) and I can confirm, the beach is hard sand, the water is brown and it's about my least fav beach ever. We end up there cause that area is my 'home' but no way would I spend vacation dollars there. I'd do Myrtle Beach if you are wanting beach.

Having said that, I am trying to find a place for a couple nights in about 12 days. Seriously considering Cocoa Beach at this point. I've looked all up and down the coast of FL from Cocoa down to Fort Lauderdale. We prefer to head north of Boca Raton but I'm really only finding award availability in Fort Lauderdale or in Melbourne/Cocoa Beach areas. I even considered staying in Orlando (around WDW but not on property) and there are no award rooms anywhere!

How bad is Cocoa Beach in mid-Aug? Probably surface of the sun hot lol! We will be at WDW then. I'm expecting the worst of the worst in terms of heat.

I was afraid of surface of the sun hot. So maybe I'll look at getting sick on a Friday and Monday and taking the kids in the winter down to Florida when we are sick of the winter. Now to figure out *** to do for our summer vaca instead. UGH!

Happy to report that I successfully liquidated two Happy Guy cards (bought directly from the Happy Cards site using the Amex Offer) for Disney Gift Cards at two Home Depots today.

Interesting! I didn't know this could be done. Guess you were driving around a bunch to check out all those Home Depots. ;) If I wanted to try this is there anything special I need to know about it?

ETA - I promise I won't go to the HDs near you. ;)

Super excited to stay there for the first time in Aug! We ate at Picabu when we were staying at BC in Mar/Apr and walked around the resort/pool area. Picabu was really good and less $$. I think we're gonna like it. I will miss it being a Disney resort but I love walking to the BW area and I love walking to Epcot.
We stayed at Swan on an adults trip last Labor day weekend and will be staying again this Labor Day weekend. Just me and DH on this trip because...SWGE. 😂 I really enjoyed Picabu and cant wait to go back. Its especially nice that's it's open late when I want something after a long day/evening at the parks. Walking to Epcot was my primary reason for booking there again so we have easier access to F&W.

OT: have any of you ever arrived late to your resort, like midnight or later? How was the checkin process? Also how did you plan the next day? Lazy morning with afternoon/evening park plans or did you rally and just go through with a regular park day?
I actually prefer to catch a late flight the evening before we plan to hit the parks whenever possible. For this reason, I usually do online check in so we will have our room number way before we arrive. I have stopped at the front desk a few times and check in went fine. I'm very much not a morning person so I HATE super early flights. Usually I'll work until 5 pm, then we head to the airport for the latest flight of the day. Last 2 trips we arrived at the resort at 3 am, but its usually more like midnight to 1 am. We just get to sleep as quickly as we can and wake up whenever we happen to the next morning. We have a good breakfast, then head out for the parks. If we get tired by afternoon we head back for a nap, then venture back out to the parks or DS.

We finally finished prepping for this storm, so now I've got lots of time to catch up here. Hoping we dont lose power, but we've got our window unit already connected and our generator ready to go if it does happen. Only time will tell. To any of you who may be in Barry's path, stay safe!

I was afraid of surface of the sun hot. So maybe I'll look at getting sick on a Friday and Monday and taking the kids in the winter down to Florida when we are sick of the winter. Now to figure out *** to do for our summer vaca instead. UGH!
Why not Myrtle Beach? Or do the mountains somewhere in the summer while it is cooler in those places than the beach? I cannot wait to hit FL beaches in the winter when I'm super tired of CO winters :)

We stayed at Swan on an adults trip last Labor day weekend and will be staying again this Labor Day weekend. Just me and DH on this trip because...SWGE. 😂 I really enjoyed Picabu and cant wait to go back. Its especially nice that's it's open late when I want something after a long day/evening at the parks. Walking to Epcot was my primary reason for booking there again so we have easier access to F&W.

I actually prefer to catch a late flight the evening before we plan to hit the parks whenever possible. For this reason, I usually do online check in so we will have our room number way before we arrive. I have stopped at the front desk a few times and check in went fine. I'm very much not a morning person so I HATE super early flights. Usually I'll work until 5 pm, then we head to the airport for the latest flight of the day. Last 2 trips we arrived at the resort at 3 am, but its usually more like midnight to 1 am. We just get to sleep as quickly as we can and wake up whenever we happen to the next morning. We have a good breakfast, then head out for the parks. If we get tired by afternoon we head back for a nap, then venture back out to the parks or DS.

We finally finished prepping for this storm, so now I've got lots of time to catch up here. Hoping we dont lose power, but we've got our window unit already connected and our generator ready to go if it does happen. Only time will tell. To any of you who may be in Barry's path, stay safe!
I cannot even remember what we ordered from Picabu but I just remember the price for food seemed SOOO much less than anything I'd pay at Disney restaurants.

We typically fly out on the early morning flight, which is like 5:40 here, and honestly, it's brutal. We live almost an hour from the airport and between the drive and having to get there and park and be in almost 2 hours before, I do not sleep the night before. I've done this year after year (and for more trips than wdw), I'm kind of getting over it. I suggested to dh that we take the last flight out the night before our trip, which doesn't land until 1:30am :scared:, but not sure that is gonna work either. I'd just rather fly, land and then sleep than fly, land and then try to keep myself awake for hours and trying to do fun stuff while I'm dying inside from lack of sleep.

I love my Galveston but if you really want a vacation with soft sand and pretty water I am sad to say the island does not offer that. The beaches that are not on the seawall are better. You could definitely have a fun trip if you are open to some non-beach activities like Moody Gardens, the Strand, or a harbor tour.

As for not-scorching destinations for the summer....maybe Asheville? Go see the Biltmore, go hiking, explore downtown with all the unique shops? Or, it might be on the swampy and muggy side in August but DC could be fun. Most of the highlights are free which is a nice bonus. Can you get to Portland, Maine with your Delta gift cards? That would definitely have nicer weather. Or fly into Boston and drive up the coast to one of the small towns with nicer beaches.

Why not Myrtle Beach? Or do the mountains somewhere in the summer while it is cooler in those places than the beach? I cannot wait to hit FL beaches in the winter when I'm super tired of CO winters :)

We did MB last Aug. And I was just in NC for a week on various beaches. We're not mountain people, LOL. Unless it's skiing. I have until October to use one Hilton night, Feb for the other and June to use the IHG nights.

I love my Galveston but if you really want a vacation with soft sand and pretty water I am sad to say the island does not offer that. The beaches that are not on the seawall are better. You could definitely have a fun trip if you are open to some non-beach activities like Moody Gardens, the Strand, or a harbor tour.

As for not-scorching destinations for the summer....maybe Asheville? Go see the Biltmore, go hiking, explore downtown with all the unique shops? Or, it might be on the swampy and muggy side in August but DC could be fun. Most of the highlights are free which is a nice bonus. Can you get to Portland, Maine with your Delta gift cards? That would definitely have nicer weather. Or fly into Boston and drive up the coast to one of the small towns with nicer beaches.

I just spent a week in NC on the beaches. I don't think my kids would like Asheville. Boston is CRAZY expensive (almost as much as LA). I'd love to do Boston seeing as my 5 boyfriends are from there, lol. I think I just need to figure out a local vaca.

Interesting! I didn't know this could be done. Guess you were driving around a bunch to check out all those Home Depots. ;) If I wanted to try this is there anything special I need to know about it?

ETA - I promise I won't go to the HDs near you. ;)

The Amex Offer just expired last week.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-offers-happycards-com-15-or-1500-points-with-100-purchase/It was an effective ~15% savings on $100. Happy Cards come in many varieties (e.g., Guy, Lady, Bride, Teen, Student, Dining, etc.), and are good at the select merchants listed on each of these cards (the idea being these merchants should interest a Guy, Lady, Teen, etc.).

Thing is Happy Cards run as a credit card at these merchants. Happy Guy GCs include Home Depot. While Home Depot doesn’t allow their GCs to be used to buy third-party GCs, a Happy Guy GC swipes as if it were a credit card and you can use a credit card to buy GCs. Home Depot’s card readers also have their swipe aligned perpendicularly, so you can take the Happy Guy GC out of your wallet, with the magnetic stripe already facing down and the plain backside of the card facing left, so the cashier doesn’t even notice the front of the card when you swipe. Swipe and the register automatically processes the payment as credit and spits out a receipt.

The other popular brands of Happy Cards to buy are Happy Lady and Happy Bride because they include Bed Bath & Beyond, which sells Disney GCs. I haven’t tested these personally, but the folks over at the Disney Gift Cards Deals thread have and it works but YMMV if you get an overzealous cashier who will deny you.

The potential problem is Happy Cards recently included new fine print that excludes purchases of GCs. I didn’t notice this language on my Happy Guy cards. I think my DP comports with other recent DPs from the Disney GC Deals thread that the new terms aren’t being enforced (yet?).
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/happy-gift-card-terms-now-exclude-gift-card-purchases/
DoC (and the Disney GC Deals thread) keeps good tabs on Happy Card deals. Office Depot/Max, Staples, Safeway, etc. seem to have occasional sales on Happy Cards, but the most recent Staples deal specifically excludes Happy Guy cards:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/stap...staples-giftcard-7-7-7-13-happy-guy-excluded/
So this deal may be getting harder to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter