I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used it at hotels I dont have status with I even tried with some I did they wouldn't recognize my any status but points. I think it because Amex makes deals with the chains because Amex people "spend more" they also act as a travel agent to be a benefit of the card.
Most hotel chains no longer recognize status if you don’t book directly through them. Whether you book through Fine Hotels & Resorts or Expedia or whatever 3rd party, getting status recognized is a crapshoot as the fine print of the status programs often say you only get it for direct bookings :(

Most hotel chains no longer recognize status if you don’t book directly through them. Whether you book through Fine Hotels & Resorts or Expedia or whatever 3rd party, getting status recognized is a crapshoot as the fine print of the status programs often say you only get it for direct bookings :(
makes sense I never do it unless its a great deal. they must have to give me points on spend there regardless.

Also most of the time I get better deals when im paying in cash/points with the chain. Not all the time but most.

Called for a retention offer on my Plat. Was told I didn't spend enough to warrant an offer but I could try throwing more spend at the card until the 8th. No thanks. I didn't cancel yet because I needed somewhere to park my MRs. Decided to go for the 50k incognito offer on the Gold card. Guess I spent enough to ward off the pop-up and got instant approval to boot! It puts me at 5/24, but only until my CSP falls off next month and I will have plenty of MSR to keep me busy until then. Also PC'd my Freedom (formerly my CSP) to a CSR a few days ago so I could redeem a bunch of points for our 10th anniversary trip in February.

Decided to go to the Grand Canyon. Used URs to book a lodge in the National Park and a hotel in Scottsdale our last night plus a rental car for the whole trip. Used my FNC from Marriott for our arrival night near the Phoenix airport. Then transferred a few URs over to top off my SW account and booked our flights. Used up about $22 of the CSR travel credit for the fees so I could utilize the insurance on the CSR. So far $0 OOP for this trip. Hooray!

I'm getting ready to apply for the 2nd credit card for my Southwest Companion Pass. I applied for the Performance Business when it had the 80,000 point offer. I was thinking of using the suggestion of applying for another business card, but when I look at my history, I'm kind of nervous about another business card. I have gotten 3 business cards this year:

CIP 1/10, 5/28 and the SW business on 10/10

I'm afraid I'm pushing my luck with another business card. With personal cards, I'm just 1/24 with the Arrival Plus card on 6/6/19.

When I look at the three available SW personal cards, one question I have it what can you use the $75 SW credit on if I would go with the Priority card? If it is on anything useful, that seems like a good option, but I really don't spend much actual cash with southwest since all flights are purchased with points and they have free checked bags. Can it be used for gift cards (that could possibly be sold)? Even then, seems like it would be much less hassle to just go with one of the lower tiered cards.

Just wondered what others are doing that are going the 1 business / 1 personal card route?

Thanks!

I have used all of my $75 credit on the $5.60 taxes and fees. I think you can buy a gift card, seems like maybe @amalone1013 may have done that? I think some people may even be buying a refundable ticket and cancelling it after the $75 credits if you can't think of anything else.

Called for a retention offer on my Plat. Was told I didn't spend enough to warrant an offer but I could try throwing more spend at the card until the 8th. No thanks. I didn't cancel yet because I needed somewhere to park my MRs. Decided to go for the 50k incognito offer on the Gold card. Guess I spent enough to ward off the pop-up and got instant approval to boot! It puts me at 5/24, but only until my CSP falls off next month and I will have plenty of MSR to keep me busy until then. Also PC'd my Freedom (formerly my CSP) to a CSR a few days ago so I could redeem a bunch of points for our 10th anniversary trip in February.

Decided to go to the Grand Canyon. Used URs to book a lodge in the National Park and a hotel in Scottsdale our last night plus a rental car for the whole trip. Used my FNC from Marriott for our arrival night near the Phoenix airport. Then transferred a few URs over to top off my SW account and booked our flights. Used up about $22 of the CSR travel credit for the fees so I could utilize the insurance on the CSR. So far $0 OOP for this trip. Hooray!

u will love the gold! i got this one year ago, and its my most heavily swiped card atm. it gets used soo much to the point where my chip is seeing it wear pretty badly.

July or August- Fly into Boston with SW points, Acadia National Park and New Hampshire.
We did a similar trip. Acadia is really nice. Recommend taking the Sea Princess boat tour. It has a park ranger on board narrating. And they stop by Little Cranberry Island (200 year old lobster fishing island with a NP museum).

Are you going up White Mountain in NH? We took the cog railroad up (bought the last tickets of the day for a discount). We lucked out and had clear skies and could see for miles and miles. Another fun thing to do.

u will love the gold! i got this one year ago, and its my most heavily swiped card atm. it gets used soo much to the point where my chip is seeing it wear pretty badly.

Time to stop swiping and start tapping <g>. I get to tap at the nearby grocery stores and usually surprise a cashier who doesn't know what it is yet.

I think we missed out on it because the tracker disappeared and it's not showing as pending like the bonus for my CFU was showing as. :( Hoping I'm wrong.
Hi, please keep us update since this is the total opposite of how Chase typically works. There are se real DPs (ok complaints) from people who made a purchase and then returned the item but met the MSR early and missed out on CP. Hopefully it is just a timing issue and you will see your 80k URs. Good luck!

Is the Amex website being super slow for anyone else? I just got DH's Gold card and want to select his airline and buy my JB ticket tonight, but it's so slow it won't even load the benefits.

ETA: Just got it to work! Finally. For some reason it worked better in incognito.

So how long will it typically take to get the airline credit? I am buying a $89 JB ticket. I would like to buy the second one right after Jan 1 when the credit resets, but want to make sure it for sure credits me first because otherwise I'll just use JB points.

How long does it normally take to see a support on an account? I was approved 12/19 and don’t see it in dh’s account
I got approved on a Sunday and the support points didnt show up until 16 days later (3 Tuesdays). I really wouldn’t worry yet.
Barclays ?
I applied for the Barclays AA biz a couple weeks ago (maybe a day before all the drama hit with AA,) and after a couple days of under review when I checked the status online, it changed to the message that they are unable to offer a credit card with Barclays. When I tried for the Citi AA a couple months ago, I got denied for too many credit inquiries so I figured Barclays had the same issue. I was going through our mail from earlier this week, and the letter from Barclays about the credit card application is asking for more information instead of giving a reason for being denied. Anyone had a similar experience? I'm just confused about whether they denied my application or if it is still under review :confused3 Are AA points still worth pursuing at this point for someone without any other AA cards? I was looking for a card with a small MSR to use while we waited out our next SW card apps, and figured we could use the AA miles for hotels.
I had the same issue, sent in the paperwork, and was approved relatively quickly.
2020 travel plans:
Leave Saturday to Disney’s Fort Wilderness to ring in the New Year. No parks.
Jan. - start home construction.
Feb. and March - camping with family
April - Disney Fort Wilderness. No parks.
Trying to convince my husband to visit parks in May and June but he’s a little burnt out.
April - NYC. First time for 3 of my kids (best Christmas trip ever!) and my first time in non-freezing weather. Air with AA miles and staying at my cousins apartment.
Sept, - Florida Keys camping with my brother.
I need to plan a summer trip but have to see how the home construction is going $$ wise to determine what kind of trip we can take.

If I preorder the baby yoda it says they expect it to be ready to ship 3/12/20. I don’t want to take the chance that it comes way later though. I want it in the nursery
There's always a chance your baby will come way later or way earlier. You've got a choice, order it and maybe it will come and you will have it for your nursery or skip it and then you probably won't have it. And baby yoda will only be the second cutest in the nursery anyway.

There's always a chance your baby will come way later or way earlier. You've got a choice, order it and maybe it will come and you will have it for your nursery or skip it and then you probably won't have it. And baby yoda will only be the second cutest in the nursery anyway.
Yeah that’s true. I guess I’ll have to think on it a little more. I was planning to buy an alien plush anyway (from amazon). It’s cheaper but definitely not as cute. I’m leaning towards getting the baby yoda

2020 Plans

Surely you all know me by now and know that I have no idea. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

We will be ringing in the new year in Tampa. We leave Saturday so I am pretty confidant about this, I think. lol I was not confidant this morning, our dog sitter cancelled but I think we have someone lined up now.

End of January - currently have reservations for DH and I at Hyatt Ziva Cancun. But i keep saying I am going to cancel this. Looking at maybe Miami or Keys instead. Or perhaps nothing at all. lol

February - I really thought I was joking about visiting U of Michigan in the winter, but joke is on me, they only gave him dates in Feb or March. We will be doing DS's visit on President's day weekend. Ann Arbor in February. Sounds fun. lol

May - have a college graduation and a high school graduation that month. Both local so not going anywhere.

June - Would love to do an oversees family trip to celebrate DD college graduation. Have zero idea if this will actually happen as the kids do not yet know their summer plans.

August - Take 2 kids to college and 1 to the airport. Then will cry because all of my kids left me. Not ready to share yet what oldest DD is doing after college, but I will let y'all know soon. 😢😢

September - Really want to do Hawaii to cheer myself up, we will see if I can make this happen.

November - possible RunDisney at WDW. Have you noticed a pattern of me not being able to commit. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter