I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an email to apply for the Marriott Bonvoy credit card. I don't have any Marriott cc's (used to have one a few years back). The email says to apply for the card, 100,000 and $125 fee? but then says annual fee is $95 but waived if you apply by 3/28. When I went onto CreditKarma a few days ago, it said my chances were "poor" to be approved for this card. I have a credit score of 810/797. I am a Marriott Rewards member (but No cc) and recently made a bunch of hotel reservations thru Marriott. I would like the card but I don't want to apply and then be rejected. When they send you a email, does it usually mean they will most likely approve you?

Yes, exactly that.
Well...you have no indication why you were denied but NOTHING to lose!! I'd recon that thing...you have 2 options:

1) wait for a letter telling you EXACTLY why you were denied
2) wing it and go in guns a blazing

OR you could try now and if they say no, try again once you have the letter. Feel BOLD and try to recon - you got a hard inquiry on your report now and you can fight for the card. NOTHING bad can come of recon IMO - you're already denied :)

I got an email to apply for the Marriott Bonvoy credit card. I don't have any Marriott cc's (used to have one a few years back). The email says to apply for the card, 100,000 and $125 fee? but then says annual fee is $95 but waived if you apply by 3/28. When I went onto CreditKarma a few days ago, it said my chances were "poor" to be approved for this card. I have a credit score of 810/797. I am a Marriott Rewards member (but No cc) and recently made a bunch of hotel reservations thru Marriott. I would like the card but I don't want to apply and then be rejected. When they send you a email, does it usually mean they will most likely approve you?

On Wednesday at 9:30 am I posted this: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much-v2-0-see-first-page-for-addl-details.3729982/page-369#post-60284006 with a bunch of quoted comments. We want to help you but we do not have enough information to give you any good advice (said with a soft and friendly tone). Please accept this gentle nudge out of love...Give us the information we need thoroughly and we'll help you succeed! You're bouncing around talking about a ton of different cards (none of which seem like the best move) and we don't have your stats to even tell you your approval odds.

Ok - so let's help set you up for success! To effectively ask for advice, I would recommend checking out sticky #2:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much-v2-0-see-first-page-for-addl-details.3729982/#post-60156306

We are getting scattered information here and it is difficult to help without a clear picture. You said you got 2 Chase Disney cards recently - depending on how recent, we may recommend you wait a month before looking to a Chase card (especially a Chase business card)...

I like to check my credit report using a free account at Experian.com. We really need a list of all of your cards in MM/YY format to give good advice. It sounds like you have a husband who would also "throw his hat in the ring" with the CC churning game which is great but we need the same information on him. Keep in mind that without a full and complete list of all cards we might give you bad advice and get you declined again, further setting back the clock.

Once we have a complete picture, and can confirm that you and/or him are indeed at 4/24 we're going to have you focus on Chase most likely. If you can qualify for their small business credit card products there are 3-4 cards you could get without affecting your "5/24 status" and without affecting your personal credit report (aside from an inquiry which has a negligible affect). I would agree with prior advice that a Chase Ink Preferred is a phenomenal card to get IF you are under 5/24 and can qualify for it. Be patient and get the information needed and we'll chart a good course for you!

I'll also send you a message with an invite to our DISchurners reddit group if you'd like to join. We have some guides and good tips over there! (but the discussion is all here)

EDIT: apparently you don't allow PMs or the DIS has blocked you form those for some reason?? If you want to join DISchurners I guess let me know, or see if you can send me a PM. Thanks.

I have never got denied for a cc before but got denied the Barclay cc with the 70K bonus points a few weeks ago.
Thanks for the info - I was actually specifically talking Barclays Business cards to try to help @wendow with her pending biz app. It's typically pretty easy to get approved on the personal side but business cards can be a different animal from some issuers. Not everybody is as friendly in that regard as Chase and AMEX. Still thanks for sharing :)

the spg lux gold status does this count towards the lifetime status years?
quoting myself does anyone know this? DH's account for marriott never did show him as gold last year but first week of Jan gave him gold status. Just trying to see if I should fight for the gold status from last year if its going to count towards the lifetime status years.

I tried to board the train today and got an auto denial. I'm not sure if I made a mistake on my app or what happened. I haven't applied for anything since my CIP in December. And am only 1/24 otherwise. (I know that's Chase not Citi but just for reference). Has anyone successfully reconned a Citi Business?

Me too! Following this. I put $2500 monthly revenue, 3 years in business. When I called after denial they said I had to wait 24 hours so they could see the reason for my denial and then I could call back to recon. Called just now and the lady said that the denial was a "blended reason" based on my personal and commercial credit reports through Equifax, but couldn't give me more information and said I had to wait for the letter. When I get it I'll try again and report back. But I'm pretty annoyed, especially since I have a hard pull on my report with no card to show for it, and I have to wait for at least three months before I apply for anything else now.

Edited to add: For me I thought at first it might be some sort of velocity problem because I have been pretty aggressive over the past eight months or so. But I just read that you are at 1/24. Perhaps they think we are just too small? Which one did you apply for?

Is there a site that watches rental car prices? We don't rent cars often but when we do it would be nice not to have to keep checking as often if theres a site that will let me know if the price drops

This sounds like the Marriott Bonvoy Business card from Amex.

Two things you should know:

1. Credit Karma makes its money, in part, by promoting credit cards and encouraging its users to sign up for them. CK provides a great service, but they're not completely disinterested. One of the ways they get people to sign up for one card or another is by "evaluating" what your chances are of being approved. This algorithm is not to be trusted because they'll promote cards that say you've got an excellent chance of being approved when folks here know for sure they wouldn't be approved because of one of the card issuer's rules (like Chase's 5/24 rule, or one-Sapphire rule). Disregard what CK is telling you.

2. Amex hands out business cards like candy. You may have a business even if you don't realize it. So without knowing your specific credit profile, but given that you're alive, I'd say you've got a good shot at being approved. However, Amex has stepped up their anti-churning efforts recently by looking at an applicant's history with their cards and bonuses, and if you are an Amex cardmember who perhaps has a short membership history, a pattern of opening new cards and putting spend on them just to meet the minimum spending requirement to get the bonuses, then dropping off your spending, canceling cards to avoid paying annual fees, then there's a chance Amex may give you a pop up message that tells you that you don't qualify for the signup bonus.

And one more thing:

3. Your email offer is the same offer that is available from links that support your fellow DISers. If you plan to sign up for the Marriott Bonvoy Business or Brilliant card, please consider applying through a DISchurners link and supporting this wonderful community.

Some background:

Marriott refreshed their credit card offerings from their two credit card issuing partners, Chase and Amex, under the new "Bonvoy" rewards program on 2/13/19. Amex already has their Bonvoy Business and Bonvoy Brilliant cards out. Chase will have their new card(s) out on 2/28/19. Note that it's good you mentioned you don't have a Marriott credit card already; the Bonvoy cards come with a lot of restrictions on who is eligible for the new signup bonus, and you will generally have to make a choice whether to apply for the Marriott cards from Amex to the exclusion of the card from Chase, or vice versa.

Amex's two cards are:

Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card - 100,000 Bonus Marriott Bonvoy Points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 4/24/2019. $450 Annual Fee. 6x Points at Marriott Hotels. 3x Points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines. 2x Points on all other eligible purchases. $300 Marriott statement credits each year of card membership. 1 Free Night Award every year after your card account anniversary for redemption at or under 50,000 points. Priority Pass membership. Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status.

The Bonvoy Brilliant welcome bonus is not available to applicants who have or have had the following cards in the last 30 days:
  • The Ritz-Carlton Credit Card from JPMorgan
  • The J.P. Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card
It’s also not available to applicants to have or have had the following cards in the last 90 days:
  • The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase
  • The Marriott Bonvoy Premier from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase
  • The Marriott Bonvoy Premier Business from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase
It’s also not available to applicants who have received a welcome bonus or upgrade offer on the following cards in the last 24 months:
  • The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ from Chase
  • The Marriott Bonvoy Premier Plus Business from Chase
Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card - 100,000 Bonus Marriott Bonvoy Points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 4/24/2019. $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95 for the second year if application received before 3/28/2019. If you apply on or after 3/28/2019, $125 Annual Fee. 6x Points at Marriott Hotels. 4x Points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers & on U.S. purchases for shipping. 2x Points on all other eligible purchases. 1 Free Night Award every year after your card account anniversary for redemption at or under 35,000 points. Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status.

The Bonvoy Business welcome bonus is not available to applicants who have or have had the following cards in the last 30 days:
  • The Marriott Bonvoy Premier Business from Chase
  • The Marriott Bonvoy Business from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Business Credit Card from Chase
It’s also not available to applicants to have or have had the following cards in the last 90 days:
It’s also not available to applicants who have received a welcome bonus on the following cards in the last 24 months:
  • The Marriott Bonvoy Premier Plus from Chase

Both Amex cards are offering a 100k Marriott points bonus after spending $5k in 3 months. These offers end 4/24/19, so you have some time. If you're thinking about applying for the Bonvoy Business it's best to get your application in before 3/28/19 to avoid a first year annual fee and pay a lower $95 AF in the second year to get the 35k free night certificate (presumably, the annual fee will then go up to $125 in the third year). As mentioned above, if you apply before 3/28/19, your first year annual fee is $0, then $95 for the second year, and likely $125 in the third year. If you apply after 3/28/19, then your annual fee is $125 and charged at the end of your first monthly statement and every year as long as you hold the card.

Both the Business and Brilliant cards will earn you 6x Marriott points for hotel charges, so it's a good idea to charge everything to your room and pay for your bill with one of the Marriott cards. The Business card has a better 4x points bonus at restaurants and gas stations. But you see the Brilliant comes with more perks. Although the Brilliant has a $450 annual fee that's not waived, it comes with a $300 Marriott statement credit that you can apply to the reservations you've already made, complimentary Gold Elite status that might get you some upgrades if you don't already have status [ETA: Gold will also earn you more points on your stay than Silver], and Priority Pass membership that can get you and guests lounge access at airports if you don't already have that. However, if you're new to churning, you may want to keep your credit report clean for Chase. The Business card will not show up on your credit report or count against Chase's 5/24 rule; the Brilliant, as a personal card, will count against Chase's 5/24 rule.

Last edited:
Well since it’s been a week with no word I finally just called the status line about my CIP and it said I was approved and should be expecting my card in 7-10! I’m glad but also why no email notification?

Also, I guess I need a game plan now!

Congrats!! I don't know why no email notification but Chase just doesn't. I think I got an email about a personal card like a week after I got the card, activated it, and started charging on it. I didn't get an email about business cards at all, that I recall. Hence why we usually ask if you've called the status line and no judgments for those that stalk it :)

I'm proud of myself on this last one, I called after making the application to make sure they got it since the confirmation email didn't pop up right away and then exercised restraint to not call until the next morning. I was rewarded with a approval message :D

I actually prefer Cole Haan's leather shoes (and love when there's an Amex Offer for it), but I do have the Allen Edmonds offer and I'm contemplating buying a GC for resale purposes.

I've been very fortunate with the Amex Offers lately. I added a bunch of Amex Offers that I thought I might be interested in a while back, and then this week Amex rolled out many of those same offers in MR, allowing me to add those too and double dip.

Ah, I remembered something about shoes and AmEx offers, maybe just the AE threw me off, hehe.

I was so bummed to not get anything from that roll out. I checked every day and nothing changed for me. So sad. I don't spend much but if you give me something worthy to spend on I'll give it to you AmEx :) It's been a radical change on my AmEx spend since AmEx offers came out and were interesting, like seriously probably 1000% considering at one point I was wondering how long I could go before I got a inactivity notice. :laughing: I only started really using my card (well cards, plural, now :) ) 2 years ago after a long hiatus since MR were not as interesting to us. And the whole reason I started using it again was the AmEx offers. So I'm the poster user that this stuff works, even if it's just MR points, especially if you were willing to give me MR and cashback - I'd have spent money I didn't need to for that :)

I would think with all that and that homeland was involved yours might not be as bad if they can see that part.
I’m not sure what they can see but we had to be re-fingerprinted every 18 months because they didn’t “keep”our fingerprints, just ran them through the system.

I would hope they take it easy on kids. Is there anything you can do ahead of time to ease your ds anxiety? Roll play, meds?
He doesn’t take meds but I can warn him ahead. Really I had no idea it was that intense. I’m hoping they let kids stay with a parent.

On Wednesday at 9:30 am I posted this: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much-v2-0-see-first-page-for-addl-details.3729982/page-369#post-60284006 with a bunch of quoted comments. We want to help you but we do not have enough information to give you any good advice (said with a soft and friendly tone). Please accept this gentle nudge out of love...Give us the information we need thoroughly and we'll help you succeed! You're bouncing around talking about a ton of different cards (none of which seem like the best move) and we don't have your stats to even tell you your approval odds.

Sorry, I am new to this game but do know I love bonuses and love to save money. lol. TBH, I checked my creditkarma and called 2 credit card companies to check how many cards I have opened in the last 24 mos. (my husband and I signed each other on as co-signers, stupidly). I did cancel him and I as cosigners, on two different cards. I will give info, just not sure what I need to give? Just how many cards I have gotten in the last 24 months?

Maybe dumb but quick question: if I PC my husband's CFU to a CF, could he eventually still get a CF bonus? Trying the think of ways to max our spend if I don't have an MSR to work on while I am in house-buying churning purgatory.

Last edited:
Maybe dumb but quick question: if I PC my husband's CFU to a CF, could he eventually still get a CF bonus? Trying the think of ways to max our spend if I don't have an MSR to work on while I am in house-buying churning purgatory.

He can get the CF bonus if he hasn’t received it in the last 24 months...you’d also PC it back to the CFU prior to applying

I'm a bit worried about my 14yo and this process. He doesn't respond to strangers at all and I will need to be with him. He will shut down. Thankfully last time we flew TSA was understanding. He set off the alarms when we went through screening and they had to do a pat down, question him and everything. I thought I was going to die. I dropped everything, I was not letting him out of my sight. Of the 6 of us, he is the one I didn't want to have issues. He did as I told him though. TSA asked him questions, I repeated to him and he answered mostly to me. That's just him, a touch of the 'tism as we call it. I'm sure if it were a larger airport and not practically empty Austin it would have been completely different.
Oh, that’s so stressful. TSA in Orlando stressed me out. DS was with DH and slightly ahead of me with TSA last time. DH had his boarding pass. I was worrying about my own stuff, DH had DS and his stuff. Suddenly the TSA agent starts yelling at me “Mom get over here”. I go running over and another TSA agent is yelling at me that I need to push my stuff thru the scanner and not to leave. DS was fine, but having 2 TSA agents yelling at me did not make my day. Plus I wanted to say, “How do you even know I’m his mom? I don’t have his boarding pass and it’s not like he looks like me”. Of course I kept my mouth shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter