I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We coordinate so we can get all 35 gallons in one fill up. It usually requires two vehicles plus a can for us. We have four drivers, four vehicles, plus about five acres to mow in summer. One driver is away in college, and our fifth driver now has her permit. One time we filled all four vehicles plus cans. 70 gallons, and saved $70 in one fell swoop. This was last summer when older son was home from college working a summer job.

I just bought $100 Disney gift card at Kroger with$100 Kroger gift card bought at Lowe's. It worked in the self checkout. That's awesome.

That's great! Here we have Safeway and the max is 25 gallons. I have 2 vehicles with 35 gallon tanks so couldn't even fill them.

I just heard that all Boeing 737 Max 8 and 9 were grounded

Was just coming to post this but it's unclear to me who actually made the decision other than boeing and the faa agreeing. If it was who I think not sure that I agree that it was their decision when there's an agency made for this but this is going to get too political.

Figured out our upcoming travel plans for the rest of the year/next year:
  • Washington DC for 2 nights in April to see the cherry blossoms. DW had points in her Bonvoy account from all her work trips so free hotel and SW flights were $150 RT/pp.
  • Los Angeles for 4 nights in July. DW wanted to see an expo and we may hit up Disneyland. Moved some MRs over to my Bonvoy and got 4 nights @35k pt/night. Flights were OOP, AA to LA and SW for the return. Had some SW travel funds from the DC trip that I could apply so that was nice.
  • WDW in October for 3 nights to see the halloween decorations.
  • WDW for marathon weekend and the following week in January. Using DVC points for a lake view room at the Poly. With monorail access to Epcot for the races and SWGE opening, I didn't want to wait much longer to book.
  • DCL cruise in March 2020.
  • DCL cruise in Sept 2020.
    • We ended up booking a couple place holders on the cruise we just got back from. What a great deal!

@Alexle2007 - did you make it to the Bethany Beach Residence Inn?

I'm thinking of another little winter getaway and they have the Spring Fling promo, which gives you a 20$ credit at the restaurant and bar. And, I also have the gift card which will take care of it. I want to do 2 Hyatt nights on their promo and I was thinking of doing a little hotel hopping.

With my stash of gas cards and restaurant cards, it's pretty much a paid for getaway outside of paying for the Hyatt. And of course I'll go weekdays to get the much lower rates.

Further reading about the max this morning, and I'm on my phone so no links. And not to get political but...

Per a cnn article the faa and boeing were working on the software fix but it got delayed by the shutdown and is supposed to be in place by april. I realize how entwined with the govt boeing is so it's possible that because of all this they will force the faa to play their hand and help place the blame on the shutdown. Not like companies don't do shady stuff like that.

Per article on cbc.ca canada has banned them from their airspace so that affects all carriers and grounds their own. The guy in charge said it's based on new unproven facts. So dealing with a theory at this point.

Per the tv news and an article somewhere some us pilots have complained of the issue but were able to fix it. So training is important here. Other us pilots have said the planes are fine.

Hopefully we find out actual info from the black boxes soon so everyone actually knows and isn't working off assumptions.

Yes, Canada banned the 737Max planes from their air space earlier today. It's going to impact Air Canada hard as they have 24 in their fleet (I flew on one a few weeks ago from PBI to YYZ). Also West Jet and Sunwing to a lesser extent.

I do hope that if there is an issue with the planes it gets resolved ASAP. The loss of lives in the crashes is so tragic and to think that it could have been avoided is unfathomable.

Was just coming to post this but it's unclear to me who actually made the decision other than boeing and the faa agreeing. If it was who I think not sure that I agree that it was their decision when there's an agency made for this but this is going to get too political.

Dunno. I got the WaPo alert and it says Trump made the announcement. It sort of sounds like a joint agreement between FAA, Boeing, and the Trump admin. After Canada made their decision today, it was game over really. This is the right call I think.

David Soucie was on NPR yesterday saying it made him nervous to keep them in the air ... he worked at the FAA 17 years and wrote the book Why Planes Crash.

ETA - this was a Trump executive order it looks like. I am just baffled at the FAA right now.

Last edited:
Dunno. I got the WaPo alert and it says Trump made the announcement. It sort of sounds like a joint agreement between FAA, Boeing, and the Trump admin. After Canada made their decision today, it was game over really. This is the right call I think.

David Soucie was on NPR yesterday saying it made him nervous to keep them in the air ... he worked at the FAA 17 years and wrote the book Why Planes Crash.
Yes, when I hear experts say they won't fly on them I'm out. First thing I did this morning was check that we weren't flying them on our business trip to Cleveland next month. Had already checked the two personal trips I have planned. Now it's a moot point. Glad the decision was made.

Watching breaking news on nbc and canada grounded them based on satelitte info. I would prefer hard data.

They also just said that the black boxes are just sitting in an office waiting to be read because ethipopia doesn't have the technology to read them. They asked germany who said they don't have the software to do it. So they are still trying to find someone to read them that isn't the us.

I wouldn't have a problem flying one of these planes on a US carrier because of training etc. Part of my concern with going to china in a couple years is finding an airline I trust and am comfortable flying between HK, Shanghai, Beijing and Japan.

Question - While I wait for the CIP approval :-)shamrock:) I want to apply for the Hilton Biz. Are there any concerns with applying today? I have one AMEX card - SPG biz, which I got last year with no HP. I just checked CK and Chase already did a HP on transunion. The status line says 30 days.

Assuming I am approved for Hilton Biz, is there any way to get the number immediately or do I have to wait for the card? I have an insurance bill I must pay by midnight, lol, and I don't know if I should even try to get the new amex number.

Okay, experts, should I be getting excited?

DH applied for his first and sort of legit CIP (he consults, edits journals and testifies outside of work) and at first got the 7-10 day message (3/1). The letter came asking for identification verification (3/4) and he called it and asked them where to send it and did (3/11). Today the message is the 30 day one. Is this reason to be cautiously optimistic? I hope so, we need a new MSR!

They also just said that the black boxes are just sitting in an office waiting to be read because ethipopia doesn't have the technology to read them. They asked germany who said they don't have the software to do it. So they are still trying to find someone to read them that isn't the us.

It's baffling to me that even after MH370 these sorts of problems persist. It's unacceptable really. I thought about the nightmare that was MH370 some things would change, like being able to read black boxes more universally and being able to track planes pretty much anywhere. Neither has been fixed.

Question - While I wait for the CIP approval :-)shamrock:) I want to apply for the Hilton Biz. Are there any concerns with applying today? I have one AMEX card - SPG biz, which I got last year with no HP. I just checked CK and Chase already did a HP on transunion. The status line says 30 days.

Assuming I am approved for Hilton Biz, is there any way to get the number immediately or do I have to wait for the card? I have an insurance bill I must pay by midnight, lol, and I don't know if I should even try to get the new amex number.

Applying for the Hilton Biz shouldn’t have any affect on your chances of approval for the CIP.

There is a chance Amex will give you the option of a temporary number on the Hilton Biz if you’re approved. It is somewhat YMMV though.

Good luck!

Okay, experts, should I be getting excited?

DH applied for his first and sort of legit CIP (he consults, edits journals and testifies outside of work) and at first got the 7-10 day message (3/1). The letter came asking for identification verification (3/4) and he called it and asked them where to send it and did (3/11). Today the message is the 30 day one. Is this reason to be cautiously optimistic? I hope so, we need a new MSR!

Yup. It went from likely denial (7-10 days) back to being reviewed (30 days), so that’s a step back in the right direction! Good luck!

Booked my wedding trip at the Grand Floridian using all my AA miles and paid about $300 in cash. I was a bit short and didn't want to put it off incase it became unavailable. I have no AA miles left, but that's ok. Im working on getting another 120,000-150,000 in my account (if they match) and 75,000 in SO's account. In another 60 days I'll get two more personals for me and so and then 8 days later another 2. I should have my stash replaced in no time.

Speaking of this, any idea if you can link two reservations in the same resort at WDW together? If I get a room for 2 days with DW's points then 5 days after with my points in the same category, can they link them and keep us in the same room?

Tell us where you want to go. How manyopen cards you have and when you opened them.

We would be flying to Disney World.

How many total open credit cards? Including department store cards?

DH and and I each have our own SW Visa (black with a red "core") and a Disney Visa (no annual fee)

Speaking of this, any idea if you can link two reservations in the same resort at WDW together? If I get a room for 2 days with DW's points then 5 days after with my points in the same category, can they link them and keep us in the same room?

I have no idea. I imagine Disney would probably be able to do it if you called them, but I’m not sure. I get two nights free with my room block so I’m hoping they will link those nights and the ones I booked with points. I can keep you updated.

Also, at the end of the app, I noted language that says "any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months." Does anyone know if this language is new, and they have just not followed it, or did they recently add this to the app?

That language has been in there for quite some time, just doesn't appear to be enforced. That's the new revelation recently :)

Could be it was enforced when they rolled it out a couple years back? But it's not stopping people now so if it was ever enforced, then probably a glitch in the application process was introduced at some point. Or if it was never enforced, someone forgot to turn it on and it took folks a while to notice :)

You can ask but it’s never a guarantee that they can keep you in the same room. Just call and have them link the two reservations and add a note that you would like to stay in the same room if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter