I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are a few others here in Nebraska, I hope you all are doing well with all this flooding! For those who are not it's gotten really bad. NWS had to abandon their post and shutdown the radar, servers and broadcasts (NOAA Weather Radio) and moved people to another site in Hastings. I have been listening to my scanner and its been non-stop rescue operations since yesterday via Blackhawk helicopters, airboats and LifeFlight. Last night 7 firefighters went into the water after two airboats capsized and it was over an hour before they could get Blackhawks out to their location to rescue them, three of them in street clothes. Pretty much every road heading West from Omaha is closed, and I-29 from Council Bluffs to the MO boarder is closed.

If you want to see some pictures/videos/accounts of what is happening here check out this feed: (You've been warned above as to the content) https://twitter.com/omaha_scanner
My heart breaks for my home state :sad:

Glad you are safe! Most I know are in Lincoln and Omaha and also safe. I just think NE (and the midwest in general) is underrated and a wonderful place and people dont realize how devastating that is to peoples livelihoods too. Seems like it's barely hit national news.

I know there are a few others here in Nebraska, I hope you all are doing well with all this flooding! For those who are not it's gotten really bad. NWS had to abandon their post and shutdown the radar, servers and broadcasts (NOAA Weather Radio) and moved people to another site in Hastings. I have been listening to my scanner and its been non-stop rescue operations since yesterday via Blackhawk helicopters, airboats and LifeFlight. Last night 7 firefighters went into the water after two airboats capsized and it was over an hour before they could get Blackhawks out to their location to rescue them, three of them in street clothes. Pretty much every road heading West from Omaha is closed, and I-29 from Council Bluffs to the MO boarder is closed.

If you want to see some pictures/videos/accounts of what is happening here check out this feed: (You've been warned above as to the content) https://twitter.com/omaha_scanner

Oh no! Sending positive thoughts and prayers to all those who are affected by this.

Citi Biz Mailer Update:
Lots of mailers are now being posted on r/churningmarketplace at $40 now. It seems things have calmed down now!

(Oh that poor soul who paid $120 or whatever a couple weeks ago :sad2:)

It also appears Citi Biz mailers are not quite one-time use; there’s a brief period of a few minutes after the first use when they can be used again before the code is deactivated. If you have a Citi Biz mailer in hand, it’s possible to submit apps for P1 and P2 at about the same time using the same code: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/c.../eifgoux/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Well - I believe my Marriott Premier => Marriott Premier Plus Upgrade Saga is finally FULLY complete:
  • I earned a 25k free night on 3/15/2018
  • AF of $85 posted on 4/1/18
  • I upgrade to the Premier Plus 5/3/18
  • I paid my $85 AF on 5/10/18
  • I received a letter in the mail stating that my upgrade would be effective in Mid-July 2018
  • We received a $63.75 refund on 5/16/18 (for 9 months of my AF)
  • I received 20k Marriott points for the upgrade (after 1 purchase) on 6/14/18
  • I was charged the $95 AF for the Premier Plus on 9/1/18 (and I paid it)
  • I extended my 25k free night by calling in on 12/17/18 (so it is good through 12/17/19 now)
  • I earned a 35k free night on 3/15/19
So as expected, my free night timing was not affected at all by the upgrade. With the extension on last year's cert, I now have both a 25k and 35k free night to use this year. I plan to cancel this card in September if no retention offer is given. That will be an interesting retention call as they typically say "you receive a free night" but my response will be, "oh I got that 6 months ago, I'm not interested in waiting 6 months for another one"

Also - for those wondering, the free night does not count as a qualifying activity to keep your points active. Marriott points do have a 2 year expiration policy if you have no earnings for those that care.

Citi Biz Mailer Update:
Lots of mailers are now being posted on r/churningmarketplace at $40 now. It seems things have calmed down now!

(Oh that poor soul who paid $120 or whatever a couple weeks ago :sad2:)

Has anyone here successfully bought one on r/churningmarketplace? Is it a straightforward PM, venmo the $ deal? I'm a little scared of venturing over there, lol. But I just started the clock today with my 1st Citi biz (instant approval!).

This is like a bucket list churning goal for me. If I can catch one and get us down there. I think it would be cool but DH would be in heaven. Other thought would be to send FIL with him
It can be a challenge to see an actual launch if you aren't a local resident due to a high probability of being scrubbed. We had tickets a year or two ago to view a launch from on property at KSC and it was delayed until after we had returned home. The launch last night had actually been delayed from earlier in the month. It was truly a bonus and we were in the right place at the right time. A bucket list for me as well, but I was wishing a little that it could have been a Space Shuttle launch. THAT was my REAL bucket list!

I applied for a second CIP with EIN on 3/5 (I had fear in me about a second app with SSN). I used a referral link from my wife. The 30 day message from Chase changed to a 7-10 day message until I faxed my EIN confirmation letter, then it went back to 30 days.

The Chase message is still stuck on 30 days, but my wife just received her 20K referral bonus. Can I take this as confirmation that my card is approved?>

Seems like your approved...but that is odd

I saw this earlier today...and it really made me wish that I had gotten both our Citi Biz cards at the same time initially. My wife is 2 months behind me on the 90day timeline and I'm not about to wait around 2 months for her when I hit my 90 days next week.
We are in almost the same boat, except it is my wife who is ready to apply in about a week, and there is no way that I will have her wait until I can apply 37 days later. I've got estimated taxes to pay. Maybe we should coordinate? :D

On a side note, I did not know that you could call AA to push through an application. My policy is to never call unless absolutely necessary, and I would never call if it was my 5th CitiBiz AA card in 12 months!

Last edited:
We are in almost the same boat, except it is my wife who is ready to apply in about a week, and there is no way that I will have her wait until I can apply 37 days later. I've got estimated taxes to pay. Maybe we should coordinate? :D

On a side note, I did not know that you could call AA to push through an application. My policy is to never call unless absolutely necessary, and I would never call if it was my 5th CitiBiz AA card in 12 months!
Citi's a completely different animal. If the story is true (and Citi is incompetent enough that it probably is), someone overturned a shutdown for having too many recently opened accounts by saying they were approved for yet another card so someone in Citi didn't think they were a risk why should you? Reinstated :confused3

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/auy8dj/_/ehcf1y1

I will mention some people have gotten snide comments about the number of cards they opened... hasn't stopped Citi reps from opening or closing them, you just get a little attitude instead of 'may the winds of the universe blow your sails' yadda yadda while they close your 5th card :) (or 12th, 18, 32... Some people been riding that train for a while...)

It also appears Citi Biz mailers are not quite one-time use; there’s a brief period of a few minutes after the first use when they can be used again before the code is deactivated. If you have a Citi Biz mailer in hand, it’s possible to submit apps for P1 and P2 at about the same time using the same code: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/c.../eifgoux/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

I saw this earlier today...and it really made me wish that I had gotten both our Citi Biz cards at the same time initially. My wife is 2 months behind me on the 90day timeline and I'm not about to wait around 2 months for her when I hit my 90 days next week.

This is great to know. I’m well overdue for another Citi biz but DH isnt at 90 days yet. Since we have 2 5K MSRs coming up now though, I don’t really need to get more cards at the moment. It would be great to buy one mailer and use it for both of us though.

It can be a challenge to see an actual launch if you aren't a local resident due to a high probability of being scrubbed. We had tickets a year or two ago to view a launch from on property at KSC and it was delayed until after we had returned home. The launch last night had actually been delayed from earlier in the month. It was truly a bonus and we were in the right place at the right time. A bucket list for me as well, but I was wishing a little that it could have been a Space Shuttle launch. THAT was my REAL bucket list!

One of my dad’s friends made plans and took the whole family to FL for s trip to see one of the space shuttles launch about 10 years or so ago (can’t remember which shuttle). He’d always wanted to see it and got down there and they had to delay and he never got to see it :(

If anyone has any ideas to get a good deal on BG Tampa please let me know (one day ticket). I'd like to take the kids for Spring break. I do see UT has the one day with the all day dining for $113.

Well - I believe my Marriott Premier => Marriott Premier Plus Upgrade Saga is finally FULLY complete:
  • I earned a 25k free night on 3/15/2018
  • AF of $85 posted on 4/1/18
  • I upgrade to the Premier Plus 5/3/18
  • I paid my $85 AF on 5/10/18
  • I received a letter in the mail stating that my upgrade would be effective in Mid-July 2018
  • We received a $63.75 refund on 5/16/18 (for 9 months of my AF)
  • I received 20k Marriott points for the upgrade (after 1 purchase) on 6/14/18
  • I was charged the $95 AF for the Premier Plus on 9/1/18 (and I paid it)
  • I extended my 25k free night by calling in on 12/17/18 (so it is good through 12/17/19 now)
  • I earned a 35k free night on 3/15/19
So as expected, my free night timing was not affected at all by the upgrade. With the extension on last year's cert, I now have both a 25k and 35k free night to use this year. I plan to cancel this card in September if no retention offer is given. That will be an interesting retention call as they typically say "you receive a free night" but my response will be, "oh I got that 6 months ago, I'm not interested in waiting 6 months for another one"

Also - for those wondering, the free night does not count as a qualifying activity to keep your points active. Marriott points do have a 2 year expiration policy if you have no earnings for those that care.
Wait, @SouthFayetteFan paid an AF?!?

Churning means that you are willing to open up many cards for the sign up bonuses. Some people do 10+ a year, some are much slower and only open a few. Some people just say I only want one card, give me the best one. So which category do you think you fall under? Many cards or just one for each of you? And would you be willing to open up a business card? Many people have side businesses of renting houses, selling on eBay or Etsy, tutoring, etc etc. Or are you “thinking” about starting a business? Generally on this thread we start with recommending the Chase UR earning cards. There are 3 different Business cards and 4 different personal cards that earn URs. The one that is most often recommended is the business card, Chase Ink Preferred (CIP). It has the biggest sign up bonus of 80,000 URs so it gives a lot of bang for the buck. These URs could be cashed out for $800 or redeemed through the Chase travel portal for 1.25x or transferred directly to some hotel and airlines, such as Southwest. Does this sound like something you would be willing to open? If not, there are plenty of other cards to recommend.

We have fair to good credit- not excellent. We do not have a business. We got into trouble with credit cards in our 20's - we were young and stupid, and have not had anything other than store cards in many years. We are rebuilding our credit, and do not want a ton of cards.. too much room for error. We also need to replace our 10 year old van soon, so...

We really only want one more card for now. We may reconsider down the line.
We also are pretty frugal- so we do not want to spend on anything that is not in the normal budget, so the best return on groceries would be good. We want to be able to redeem for airfare- with SW or directly to Disney- We own DVC- so paying our dues would be great.
ETA - we do most of our grocery shopping at Aldi or Walmart, if that matters- I know some CC may be picky about what they consider "grocery" or "supermarket" purchases.

Last edited:
Can someone verify - does Citi pull both Experian and Equifax or just one (if so, which)? I need to to pay off my summer cruise and an American biz card is about all I can get now because I'm trying to get under 5/24. I'll use the points eventually I guess.

Can someone verify - does Citi pull both Experian and Equifax or just one (if so, which)? I need to to pay off my summer cruise and an American biz card is about all I can get now because I'm trying to get under 5/24. I'll use the points eventually I guess.

I know Citi definitely pulls Equifax for me, but I haven’t checked my Experian in a while to check that.

We have fair to good credit- not excellent. We do not have a business. We got into trouble with credit cards in our 20's - we were young and stupid, and have not had anything other than store cards in many years. We are rebuilding our credit, and do not want a ton of cards.. too much room for error. We also need to replace our 10 year old van soon, so...

We really only want one more card for now. We may reconsider down the line.
We also are pretty frugal- so we do not want to spend on anything that is not in the normal budget, so the best return on groceries would be good. We want to be able to redeem for airfare- with SW or directly to Disney- We own DVC- so paying our dues would be great.
ETA - we do most of our grocery shopping at Aldi or Walmart, if that matters- I know some CC may be picky about what they consider "grocery" or "supermarket" purchases.

You probably don’t want to pay an Annual Fee, but if you don’t mind, i would recommend the Chase Sapphire Reserve. It has a nice sign up bonus, and I use it to earn 3x on my Wyndham timeshare dues. It comes with really good travel insurance as well.

If you want no annual fee and a quick no hassle bonus, I would recommend a Disney Visa. There is a current referral for a $200 statement credit if you spend at least $500 in 3 months. It was fast and directly applied to my statement instead of having to wait for rewards.

Maybe I am too late since today was so busy, but my only other thought to add as a reason to not cancel an Amex card is the same reason to think twice about whatever Amex you decide to get. Strong possibility that the cancellation of a card can trigger the pop up. Of course not using a card can too...so I guess you have to weigh it out and decide. I am going through the same thing with mine when it comes due this summer. I don’t now what I will decide to do.

I guess that is why I am such a #Deltahostage. I almost always check to see if Southwest is cheaper or at least comparable, but from here it is always a lot more (and that does it even factor in that it does not have the non stop flights).

Unless it has changed I have found with Plastiq that if you set it up to make a payment and then cancel it the fee free dollars expiration resets. So you might want to try that, I am jealous of the fee free dollars...a promotion I could use with Plastiq would be more than welcome. :)

Thanks for the Plastiq advice! I’m going to give it a try. Any other quarter of the year we would have more than enough spend to use up these credits. It could be very advantageous for us to meet some of the higher bonuses on cards - like free nights and diamond status!

I know Citi definitely pulls Equifax for me, but I haven’t checked my Experian in a while to check that.

Thanks. I can probably get by with unfreezing Equifax and Transunion, knowing they won't pull TU. Still evaluating options but I really don't have many now... I've have everything major and I try to avoid CapOne because of the 3 pull rule!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter