I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not an ideal time to go. The two lodges that stay open for winter, close at the beginning of March. Then those and the others open at end of April/beginning of May. I would think you would run into snow and some closed roads that aren't regularly plowed through winter.

For ideas:
For spring break, the Utah parks - Arches, Canyonlands, Zion would be great. Bryce might be good then but might be cold.
Or southern California - Joshua Tree and Death Valley.
Or Great Smoky NP in Tennessee.
I haven't researched the Everglades but I would assume spring would be a good time with regards to weather.

Add Capitol Reef Nat’l park to that. Its not popular but we liked it more than both Bryce/Zion.

We’ve been to the Grand Canyon south rim over spring break. Made stops at the Meteor Crater near Flagstaff and spent time in Page AZ to do a float trip and see Rainbow Bridge and Antelope Canyon. Sedona was included on that trip too.

Add Capitol Reef Nat’l park to that. Its not popular but we liked it more than both Bryce/Zion.

We’ve been to the Grand Canyon south rim over spring break. Made stops at the Meteor Crater near Flagstaff and spent time in Page AZ to do a float trip and see Rainbow Bridge and Antelope Canyon. Sedona was included on that trip too.
We did Grand Canyon last year. Considering Yosemite but already doing DLR/USH in June. Neither DH not I feel we can do 2 weeks (ie 1 week DLR/1 week up coast to Yosemite ) so looking for options for Spring Break.

I highly recommend driving the Beartooth Highway if you can- from Red Lodge. From there you could stay just outside the northeast entrance (easier to do last minute). Between there and Roosevelt Lodge is my favorite part of the park - so beautiful and lots of wildlife in that area. You can also stay in Gardner, which is just outside of the north entrance. I much prefer to stay inside the park but you’re right - gitta book EARLY! Yellowstone is one of my favorite places.

I am actually seeing a lot of availability for July. I might look into this more. Would it be better to pick one place and stay 3 days or move around the park to different lodges?

Trying to finish up AA CitiBiz spend. These 5k spends kill me. Taking forever. Next one, I think I’ll apply for the 60k AA Biz for DH.

In other news
I applied for Hilton Amex 5/17/2017. When that drops off, I’ll be at 4/24. When am I safe to apply for SWBiz?

If Chase pulls only Experian for you, you are safe to apply on May 1. You can verify this by checking your accounts list on the Experian app (free) - the Hilton Amex should show an open date of 5/1/17.

If Chase pulls any other credit bureau, including Experian + another one, this won't work and you'll have to wait until 5/17/19.

I highly recommend driving the Beartooth Highway if you can- from Red Lodge. From there you could stay just outside the northeast entrance (easier to do last minute). Between there and Roosevelt Lodge is my favorite part of the park - so beautiful and lots of wildlife in that area. You can also stay in Gardner, which is just outside of the north entrance. I much prefer to stay inside the park but you’re right - gitta book EARLY! Yellowstone is one of my favorite places.

Yes! Beartooth Highway is the prettiest road I've ever been on! We did a road trip looping from CO, up through WY, to Red Lodge, stayed in West Yellowstone, and came back thru the Grand Tetons. I loved seeing Yellowstone.

@SouthFayetteFan every time I try to price out a stay on AAvacations.com I cannot get a price paid for with miles. Just a cash price (I can always get miles prices with useAApoints.com -- with very low redemption value). Am I doing something wrong? I have looked in every possible place to see if there's a box that I need to check but can't find anything!
I’m not sure. Are you logged in and do you have at least 1,000 AA miles currently? Those are my only thoughts on it.

Can I ask, with all the Marriott points you have, why not use those for Swolphin instead af YC/BC?

@SouthFayetteFan

I was going to say that maybe he's a bit of a hoarder when it comes to certain points. I'm definitely in that camp. Lots of ideas for spending certificates and my daughter's points, but basically want my own Marriott points to keep growing.

And, I'd prefer to stay at Yacht and Beach, but have no problem staying at Swan.

Plus, getting big chunks of Marriott points is more difficult now - I've done all the Amex and Chase Marriott options and would have to close a bunch of stuff to apply for more Chase and then wait for 5/24. I grabbed what I could when I could. Also, spending on the card for them is not as worth it. So, I'll use the certs and try to build points up when offers come along and when I can use the card for increased value at the hotels. That will be a slow process. So, hoarding will be the key for now.
LOTS of reasons...

This next trip may be our last January trip so I want it to be perfect. We absolutely want to do a split stay. We have such a love for BC/YC that I really want to stay there if possible. We like to finish at MK so that means finish at CR or GF. I don’t like Swolphin for arrival because no DME and luggage service. And in general I am a Marriott points hoarder lol!

Probably not an ideal time to go. The two lodges that stay open for winter, close at the beginning of March. Then those and the others open at end of April/beginning of May. I would think you would run into snow and some closed roads that aren't regularly plowed through winter.

For ideas:
For spring break, the Utah parks - Arches, Canyonlands, Zion would be great. Bryce might be good then but might be cold.
Or southern California - Joshua Tree and Death Valley.
Or Great Smoky NP in Tennessee.
I haven't researched the Everglades but I would assume spring would be a good time with regards to weather.
We are headed to Bryce and Zion in two weeks for Spring Break. Hoping for great weather.

Thank you all for being wonderful. No matter what anyone says, we are not a group of nameless strangers here. We are friends.

My brain feels like scrambled eggs but you are helping. And reading here and trying to be normal is helping. :grouphug:

I did decide to go ahead and cancel my Aerosmith trip. Too many omens for me to overlook.
I am so sorry for your loss and for the trouble you have been dealing with. Please take time to take care of yourself and your DH. I don’t blame you for canceling the trip.

I am actually seeing a lot of availability for July. I might look into this more. Would it be better to pick one place and stay 3 days or move around the park to different lodges?

Yellowstone is enormous! I would move around. If you can get Roosevelt Lodge in the Northeast section, I would grab it. However, the cabins with bathrooms go very quickly. If it were me, I would see if I could find a room there with bath and then plan my trip around that. But that's me - I just love Roosevelt Lodge and that section of the park. Do you only have 3 days?

I might fly into Billings, rent car and drive to Red Lodge (about an hour). Spent the night there and then drive the Beartooth Hwy the next day to Roosevelt Lodge. If you can't get Roosevelt, then perhaps spend night in Cooke City or Silver Gate (right at entrance)?? Yellowstone is divided into 2 "loops." You might want to plan stays at opposite ends to reduce driving time. And if you have the time, the Tetons to the south are beautiful. We stayed in Jackson for the Teton portion of our trip, but I felt it was way too crowded and would choose Jackson Lake Lodge if I could redo.

Quoting you again. Apparently all those spots just opened today. People on tripadvisor think maybe a tour cancelled, they didn't seem sure. Someone else thought maybe a glitch. So anyway, didn't want to over research and miss it, so I just booked 3 nights at Canyon Cabins. The first 3 nights I picked actually booked up while I was looking around so then I just hurried and picked something. Not sure if we will be able to do it or not, but I just wanted to snag it just in case. Hopefully it works out!

This next trip may be our last January trip so I want it to be perfect. We absolutely want to do a split stay. We have such a love for BC/YC that I really want to stay there if possible. We like to finish at MK so that means finish at CR or GF. I don’t like Swolphin for arrival because no DME and luggage service. And in general I am a Marriott points hoarder lol!

I totally get this. I adore Beach Club! And at 50k for Swolphin + resort fees?? Ugh.

Quoting you again. Apparently all those spots just opened today. People on tripadvisor think maybe a tour cancelled, they didn't seem sure. Someone else thought maybe a glitch. So anyway, didn't want to over research and miss it, so I just booked 3 nights at Canyon Cabins. The first 3 nights I picked actually booked up while I was looking around so then I just hurried and picked something. Not sure if we will be able to do it or not, but I just wanted to snag it just in case. Hopefully it works out!

Oh I hope you can make it work. Thats a great location - kinda central to the park.

Yellowstone is amazing. It is like nowhere I have ever been before. The park is quite large and has a bunch of different types of areas from geysers to canyons to hot springs to valleys. IMO it is worth it to stay in the park to cut down on drive time. You'll still be driving a lot since the park is soooo big so saving any drive time is a good idea. If you want to stay in the park, you'll want to mark May 1 on your calendar. The accommodations for the entire next year open on May 1 the year prior. They go really quickly especially for the popular summer month.

Here is my trip report on tripadvisor from 3 years ago when we went. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...llowstone_National_Park_Wyoming.html#76385973 I would definitely add on Grand Tetons since it is practically attached to Yellowstone.

Thanks for posting this. I am trying to plan a trip to Yellowstone and I can't wait to read your TR!

Unless I’m going blind my lowe’s Which used to have Kroger gift cards is not currently carrying them:(

People on Reddit have done this. Personally, I am not comfortable doing this. I went to staples at 11am and they had nothing. Still don’t even have Disney Gift cards after I wiped them out months ago.

Yeah, it seems borderline ethically, but then I can argue either side. I'll check back again later in the week but if they're still out of them, it is what it is. I don't have time to run all over down hunting down empty gift cards to take to another store to pay for. It's just dog food, I'll be happy with my AmEx offer.

Yeah, it seems borderline ethically, but then I can argue either side. I'll check back again later in the week but if they're still out of them, it is what it is. I don't have time to run all over down hunting down empty gift cards to take to another store to pay for. It's just dog food, I'll be happy with my AmEx offer.

I don’t think it’s unethical. I just would hate to get “caught” doing that and have to explain myself lol

We spent 2 nights in Old Faithful Inn and then 2 nights in Roosevelt Cabins. The Old Faithful Inn was quaint (i.e. very small with hall bathrooms) and the Roosevelt Cabins are as close to camping as I ever want to get. I would definitely move around, there is alot of driving. We saw the most wildlife staying in Roosevelt Cabins and going early and late to Lamar Valley.

We flew into Jackson Hole and rented a house for a few nights to tour the Grand Tetons as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter