I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@GlamMistress My condolences for your loss and so sorry for everything you are going through.

I've been away from this thread for 60+ pages due to my own family situation. My mother passed away quite unexpectedly on March 29 at age 79. She had congestive heart failure, but I don't think my sister and I (or any of my parents' friends) knew quite how serious it was. My family had been in CA to visit my Mom and Dad for Spring Break just the week before and my Mom seemed fine; maybe just a little run down and stressed out with everything that has been going on with my father. But the end stages of her heart failure just came on very suddenly at the end of last week. I spent the last week in CA making arrangements for my Mom and helping my Dad get settled at home (for those who remember my posting about his being ill, he is FINALLY home after 6 weeks in hospitals and rehab facilities), but with everything that had to be done, especially for my Dad, I'm not sure how much I've really even processed my Mom's death. My Dad is healthy now but very weak from lying in a hospital bed for 6 weeks. He now has 24-hour care at home and will be getting physical therapy etc. to hopefully get him back on his feet. I was really worried about how my Mom's death would affect him (they had been married for almost 59 years), but he took the news of her passing much better than I had feared (I was so worried he might just spiral downward). I don't think he was as surprised as the rest of us by her death since he saw her every day and could see her getting weaker. And then on top of everything else, my sister slipped and broke her wrist on Friday, so there we were, back in the same ER where my mother had passed away almost exactly a week prior. Just unbelievable! So it's been a trying 6 weeks for my family, but we will get through it.

And in actual cc news, I "Bonvoyed" Bonvoy and cancelled my former Amex SPG biz card today.
So sorry for your loss. It is a blessing that you all had spring break together.

@Calfan, I’m so sorry. I remember reading about the health scare for both your parents — your mom sounded so worried for your dad, and you received so many well wishes towards your dad’s recovery, but I had no idea your mom was so ill too. I’m so sorry for her sudden passing. 79 is still too young to go. It seems like small consolation that you were able to spend some time with your mom and dad together one last time and make some final memories over spring break; and that it seems like your dad is on the mend, so that’s one thing your mom wouldn’t have to worry about. I’m so sorry for your dad to lose a companion of sixty years and the love of his life. I hope your dad stays strong, gets better, doesn’t lose his will, and sticks around for years to come for you and your sister and family. My thoughts are with you guys.

:grouphug:

@GlamMistress My condolences for your loss and so sorry for everything you are going through.

I've been away from this thread for 60+ pages due to my own family situation. My mother passed away quite unexpectedly on March 29 at age 79. She had congestive heart failure, but I don't think my sister and I (or any of my parents' friends) knew quite how serious it was. My family had been in CA to visit my Mom and Dad for Spring Break just the week before and my Mom seemed fine; maybe just a little run down and stressed out with everything that has been going on with my father. But the end stages of her heart failure just came on very suddenly at the end of last week. I spent the last week in CA making arrangements for my Mom and helping my Dad get settled at home (for those who remember my posting about his being ill, he is FINALLY home after 6 weeks in hospitals and rehab facilities), but with everything that had to be done, especially for my Dad, I'm not sure how much I've really even processed my Mom's death. My Dad is healthy now but very weak from lying in a hospital bed for 6 weeks. He now has 24-hour care at home and will be getting physical therapy etc. to hopefully get him back on his feet. I was really worried about how my Mom's death would affect him (they had been married for almost 59 years), but he took the news of her passing much better than I had feared (I was so worried he might just spiral downward). I don't think he was as surprised as the rest of us by her death since he saw her every day and could see her getting weaker. And then on top of everything else, my sister slipped and broke her wrist on Friday, so there we were, back in the same ER where my mother had passed away almost exactly a week prior. Just unbelievable! So it's been a trying 6 weeks for my family, but we will get through it.

And in actual cc news, I "Bonvoyed" Bonvoy and cancelled my former Amex SPG biz card today.
Sorry for your loss. No fun with aging parents. I hope your Dad continues to improve!

....but I love my card with Yoda on it:fish:

lol when I opened a Chase checking account bonus for DH I got him the BB8 debit card and it's adorable but never it's gonna see a POS ever and that's a little sad.
I visit with my Disney card every so often in my drawer...mainly to update support links. The one good about that card is it seems lots of IRL friends/family want it haha.

Thank you all for being wonderful. No matter what anyone says, we are not a group of nameless strangers here. We are friends.

My brain feels like scrambled eggs but you are helping. And reading here and trying to be normal is helping. :grouphug:

I did decide to go ahead and cancel my Aerosmith trip. Too many omens for me to overlook.

I was just skimming through playing catch up and saw your post. I am so sorry and you have our deepest sympathies :grouphug:

We might see you there! Just bought tickets for the exhibit on 4/27 for my DD's birthday. She'll be home for the weekend so we thought we'd surprise her.
I'll be looking for your statement red hair!

If you do, please stop and say hello. We are at the exhibition on Sunday but will likely be running around sightseeing and possibly stalking the exhibition on the 27th.

I’m really sorry about everything happening with your family. I hope your dad gets along okay.

So sorry to hear about your Mom. Our thoughts are with you. Glad your Dad is improving.

I'm working on summer vacation planning. We have a lot booked for summer and now I'm trying to work on the details. Today I ordered train tickets from Zurich to Paris on our Barclay card, hoping to be able to use points to pay for them.

I need to book a night in Zurich before we fly home. It will literally just be a place to sleep.

Here are my options:

1. Use 35,000 Marriott points for a free room. This would pretty much wipe out my points. DH's SPG business (old version) has an anniversary this month. Is he getting a free night certificate that could be used by early July?

2. Book though UR on points for 13,824 points. I like this option because the room is super close to the train station.

Any advice on what would be a better use of points?

Are people hanging on to their SPG business cards? I'm trying to decide if the 95 AF is worth the free night certificate.

Thanks!

@Calfan I am so very sorry for your loss. It may take a while to fully process the sudden passing of your mom. Take time for yourself to mourn your loss and treasure all the precious memories you have of your mom <<hugs>>. Everyone deals with such a deep loss differently. Do what's best for you. Breathe, relax, rest. Be there for your dad and sister to lean on.

Would Yellowstone be doable in March/April (Spring Break) ? I’m debating a couple National Parks for next year Spring Break.
I think it depends what kind of weather you want. A friend went a few years ago in early June and the weather never got above 40 degrees. I don't know if that is normal, but I would think in March you would be looking at pretty cold weather still. I'm trying to decide this for myself, except Zion and Bryce Canyon in March.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. I'm glad to hear that your dad is dealing with it better than you expected and I hope that his own health continues to improve.

Probably not an ideal time to go. The two lodges that stay open for winter, close at the beginning of March. Then those and the others open at end of April/beginning of May. I would think you would run into snow and some closed roads that aren't regularly plowed through winter.

For ideas:
For spring break, the Utah parks - Arches, Canyonlands, Zion would be great. Bryce might be good then but might be cold.
Or southern California - Joshua Tree and Death Valley.
Or Great Smoky NP in Tennessee.
I haven't researched the Everglades but I would assume spring would be a good time with regards to weather.
Thanks, we are thinking of Utah next year for spring break and was wondering this as well!

What are your thoughts on UCO Boulder? It is a serious contender for dd at the moment. Her college advisor thinks it would be a perfect fit. I've only been to Colorado once (to Vail skiing) and that was a long time ago. Is the campus and surrounding area safe for a fairly naive young lady? Good school? Any thoughts in general are helpful!
I graduated from CU Boulder! I enjoyed my time there but I definitely didn't have the typical college experience. I transferred there from the US Air Force Academy and had so many credits from my 2 Years there that I graduated in 1.5 semesters. I feel like I moved on way too soon. I loved a lot of the aspects of Boulder and thought it was a great place to go to school. I'm sure it's very different since I went there, but Boulder is a special place.

Make sure you call it CU or CU Boulder if you talk to anyone here about the school, people will inwardly snicker if you call it UCO. I know it doesn't make sense, but trust me on that.

It's a lovely campus with lots of different activities going on. I would consider it safe; Boulder doesn't have much violent crime but theft is not uncommon. It is a good school and I wouldn't have a problem with DD going there. It's close to downtown Boulder which has a very charming walk street with cute shops and restaurants, and also close to the foothills with nice hiking trails. People are very into the outdoor recreation scene - biking, hiking, rock climbing, skiing, etc. You can get to Denver or the airport on the local bus. I think folks are pretty friendly and laid back in general. When my nephew came to school here and his family visited, his dad (DH's brother) couldn't get over how nice people were (they're from SoCal).
@*WDW*Groupie* i was hoping @platamama would chime in as she lives up by CU boulder. I’m pretty far south and not exposed to the school as much.

I would agree with everything @platamama said. Boulder is very safe, the area around the campus is lovely and it’s a good school. Known as a party school but my dd’s best friend is a freshman this year and she’s not a party girl. She’s doing great there! Their tuition includes bus and light rail passes which makes it very easy to get from Boulder to Denver, the airport and even surrounding suburbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter