I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny enough, I actually dislike when they do these big promotions. All the good cards dry up within seconds and people actually lower their discounts because they know they can sell the cards at face value with Raise picking up the 7% tab, haha!

EDIT: Example, Walmart, Amazon and Disney are all now out of stock
Yeah, got to get in asap before the traffic changes but if you were looking to trigger something else, like I thought you needed to make a purchase to trigger another coupon or something, at least you'd get the 7% off something. Well, assuming you get in before the masses. :)

Yeah, got to get in asap before the traffic changes but if you were looking to trigger something else, like I thought you needed to make a purchase to trigger another coupon or something, at least you'd get the 7% off something. Well, assuming you get in before the masses. :)
I actually saw the email this morning and thought "I hope this is only a 1 day promotion" - sometimes they'll extend it if they don't sell enough. Go away so I can just buy my $50 Walmart card in peace, HAHAHA!

Any suggestions for where to stay in San Diego? We have 7 nights at Spring Hills Suites Anaheim Maingate this July, but we'd like to spend 1-2 nights in SD to go to Sea World and maybe the beach (either at the end of the stay and checking out early, or in the middle and leaving and coming back). I should have 2 35k certs for Marriott from my Marriott Biz and SPG Biz cards (if I get the SPG certin time), so I'm open to using those. Also considering splurging for a stay in a nicer hotel/resort. I saw the Catamaran Resort mentioned elsewhere, and it looks really nice but man it's pricey in July! I also have Hilton points was but hoping to save those for Hawaii next year. TIA for any suggestions! :goodvibes

I got my first Citi mailers last week (or I should say my DH and my DD did!). Too bad I need biz mailers! I might have a lead on those too, I mentioned something to my mom and she said she gets AA mailers all the time. I'm hoping they're biz, not personal. She and my step-dad do have a legit business so I'm hoping maybe they're biz mailers. Fingers crossed!

Taylor University in Indiana tomorrow. Will also audition at Lipscomb in Nashville. Both small private schools. He’s a very talented musician, but I always thought he’d be good in a business field too. He wants to work on music in films/tv. We’ll see. I’m guessing it’s a highly competitive field.
DD is a freshman at Taylor this year. I also attended my first two years of undergrad. Wonderful school. DD loves it! Hope it went well for him today.

Hi and Welcome....most of us here start with Case cards due to their 5/24 rule...you need to have opened less that 5 personal cards across all issuers in the last 24 months to be approved

But in your situation I’m not sure if collectiing Chase URs or Amex MRs is the right move...do you know what airlines you’d fly...since both sets of points can be transferred to their airline partners...or flights can be booked using their travel portals

Thank you! SFO is a United hub. I'm leaning towards applying for Chase Sapphire Preferred in April or May (after we've returned from our trip) since we are eyeing a trip to Greece in March 2020. Cheapest tickets I am seeing are ~$800 out of SFO but more in the $1k range, so seems like this would be a good value to use miles on.

:welcome: to the thread!

"So, while flying business on miles is relatively cheaper than paying out of pocket, it's still likely to be more expensive than I would have paid for an economy ticket out of pocket."

This would depend on the airline. If we are talking British Airways and connection to or through London then that can often be the case. As for other airlines, I have not found that to be the case. Last year we flew in Singapore Suites and our out of pocket expense in taxes and fees was less than $100 per person. I think it was closer to $75. I've seen some amazing fare sales to Asia but never flights that were less than $100 per person. Next month we are flying on Emirates in first class to the Maldives with a stop over in Dubai. Our taxes and fees for those flights are less than $200 per person.

SFO is a hub for United so you may want to look into focusing on Chase Ultimate Reward points. UR points transfer 1:1 to United so they are great for award flights. However, they also can be used to pay for flights on any airline through the UR portal. The points are worth 1.25 cents through a CSP account and 1.5 cents through a CSR account. AA has SFO as a focus city so the AA cards may be a good option if you don't plan to stay under 5/24 for long.

Keep in mind that while there are cards that should be signed up for and dumped after a year because the bonus points are worth well more than the fee, there are also cards with an AF that should be kept because the value they bring to the table far outweigh the AF.

Personally, I find I get more value from points and miles than I do cash back. There is absolutely no possible way for me to match the amount of travel we are able to do on points and miles if I were focused on cash back cards. The Maldives/Dubai trip next month alone would cost over $57,000 dollars (which I would never spend real money to do) and I'd need 5.7 million miles to cover that.

You'll get a lot of differing opinions on the thread which is a good thing. This will help you compare your goals and situation to what others are doing and find the path that is right for you. We like to say here that there is no wrong way to earn and burn your miles. There are many options and it is good to look at each path and see what works for you. @SouthFayetteFan and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum on our travel goals and how we view our credit card strategies. None the less, we routinely amaze one another with what we accomplish :eek: and hold the utmost respect and esteem for one another. That's the other wonderful thing about this thread, everyone respects each other no one judges anyone's choices.

Thank you! I should explain that I meant the (approximate) cash value of points/miles, since I have always used a cash back card. The cash value of the points needed for a business class ticket is generally still higher than I'd pay for an economy ticket. As much as I hate long haul flights, I'd rather use the difference to help pay for the rest of the trip (or towards the next trip in the case of miles).

As I mentioned above, I'm thinking of applying for CSP. I like the flexibility that UR offers but am not sure if we travel enough to warrant signing up for CSR (even with all the credits in the first year - thank you @SouthFayetteFan for the breakdown!). We have been hitting DL 3-4x a year (driving down) but are probably cutting way down now to focus our budget on international travel. We also don't really eat out much other than when we are on vacation.

I'm wondering if CSP is a card you would consider a keeper with the annual fee. I ask because I'd also consider applying for Chase Freedom and Chase Freedon Unlimited later this year (I am already used to playing the card rotation game for max cash back) but really only for the ability to transfer URs to CSP since 1% on everything outside of travel/dining on the CSP is pretty meh. Note I've only opened 2 cards in the past 24 months.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far! I am a numbers girl so have a hard time wrapping my head around giving up additional 1-2% in cash back in certain categories to get only 1 point/mile instead. But I can see how in certain circumstances it makes sense giving up those few dollars if it meant I had enough miles to essentially save $200-400 off a flight if I had paid cash.

Thank you! SFO is a United hub. I'm leaning towards applying for Chase Sapphire Preferred in April or May (after we've returned from our trip) since we are eyeing a trip to Greece in March 2020. Cheapest tickets I am seeing are ~$800 out of SFO but more in the $1k range, so seems like this would be a good value to use miles on.

Thank you! I should explain that I meant the (approximate) cash value of points/miles, since I have always used a cash back card. The cash value of the points needed for a business class ticket is generally still higher than I'd pay for an economy ticket. As much as I hate long haul flights, I'd rather use the difference to help pay for the rest of the trip (or towards the next trip in the case of miles).

As I mentioned above, I'm thinking of applying for CSP. I like the flexibility that UR offers but am not sure if we travel enough to warrant signing up for CSR (even with all the credits in the first year - thank you @SouthFayetteFan for the breakdown!). We have been hitting DL 3-4x a year (driving down) but are probably cutting way down now to focus our budget on international travel. We also don't really eat out much other than when we are on vacation.

I'm wondering if CSP is a card you would consider a keeper with the annual fee. I ask because I'd also consider applying for Chase Freedom and Chase Freedon Unlimited later this year (I am already used to playing the card rotation game for max cash back) but really only for the ability to transfer URs to CSP since 1% on everything outside of travel/dining on the CSP is pretty meh. Note I've only opened 2 cards in the past 24 months.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far! I am a numbers girl so have a hard time wrapping my head around giving up additional 1-2% in cash back in certain categories to get only 1 point/mile instead. But I can see how in certain circumstances it makes sense giving up those few dollars if it meant I had enough miles to essentially save $200-400 off a flight if I had paid cash.
I like to keep either a CSP or CIP open (CIP is a biz card that is very similar to CSP). The reason for this is that you have to have one of those 2 cards to transfer your URs to partners (which I think you realize already) :)

CSP is a decent choice to if you have by chance have a spouse who would also get cards. You could refer them to the CSP, earn the bonus for them then and you get 10k pts for that. If you end up going with CSP, please consider using a DISchurners link to support a fellow DISer :)

I added DS11 to DH and my Chase Marriott Visas. I don’t know that I would go with the Biz route though since that will not help build his credit report. You would need to add him on one of your personal cards for it help establish his credit.
For the Biz Card, I’m more looking to have an extra card. For DSs credit, I wouldn’t do a biz card of course.

How long did it take for the raise referral bonus to show up. I referred DW and haven’t seen bonus or extra savings in her email nor mine.

@amalone1013 - so you said you wanted a cool travel backpack. Forget waiting on an eBags deal; apply for the Citi Costco card and get one for free!

ETA- also @amalone1013 if you're still eyeing something at eBags, back to 20 miles/$ on united shopping!

Also, @amalone1013 everything is 25% off at eBags today. I went ahead and bought the Motherlode junior backpack through the United portal at 20% along with the 25% off at eBags (plus I had a handful of eBags rewards dollars). I do already have an Osprey backpack with a laptop/iPad sleeve, but the backpack is slightly too long for me and not that comfortable. I'm not quite 5'2", so I thought the junior version of the Motherlode might work better for me. DH can inherit the Osprey. It's in a manly red color, lol.

A couple of other updates: The $100 SW gift card I bought with my Rose Gold late last week did trigger the fee reimbursement, so SW seems to continue to be ok. I went ahead and bought a $118.03 SW gc with my Plat this morning to round out the $200 airline fee credit there. I was pleasantly surprised that it let me buy such an odd amount.

Also, the 20k MR bonus points from my BBP self-referral were in my Amex account this morning!

I know! I still feel like I could do better than 95% of folks in the park today...but my "better" with those lines would still make for a miserable day. No wonder I often see comments on FaceBook from distant friends saying "Never Again" or "Terrible Trip" when they go to Disney - they just have no clue what they're doing lol!
Yeah. Having a good FP strategy really makes a world (no pun intended) of difference. We just went for our first (maybe only) Christmas week and were totally fine. Granted we were at AK on Christmas but we were at Epcot for NYE and still hit a couple of 4th FPs before an afternoon break and WS that evening. We are truly living in the Golden Age of FP+ and I don’t want it to end.
ETA: On super crowded days if we can’t FP it we don’t ride it... and there isn’t much we don’t ride.

WDWNT just tweeted out about a 50 minute line for Nemo at Epcot today and the line for Turtle Talk being out to the gift shop...

I've always said that I thought my "superior touring knowledge" could even overcome a busy holiday weekend...but I think we've crossed over to that statement being wrong. It is crazy busy there, lol!
OMG the times yesterday! I saw this
B1EA6505-6C5A-4746-8BDF-801E4F8E378A.png

How long did it take for the raise referral bonus to show up. I referred DW and haven’t seen bonus or extra savings in her email nor mine.
So when I signed my wife up with my link she immediately had $5 raise cash in her account and the $10 coupon came within 24 hours. I didn't get my $5 raise cash until she started placing orders.

So when I signed my wife up with my link she immediately had $5 raise cash in her account and the $10 coupon came within 24 hours. I didn't get my $5 raise cash until she started placing orders.
Cool. Thanks. Dw just received an email for 10 off 100 in the next 72 hours, but no $5 raise cash yet. She just placed her first order for kohl’s. So it may take time.

WDWNT just tweeted out about a 50 minute line for Nemo at Epcot today and the line for Turtle Talk being out to the gift shop...

I've always said that I thought my "superior touring knowledge" could even overcome a busy holiday weekend...but I think we've crossed over to that statement being wrong. It is crazy busy there, lol!

We had a FP+ for Nemo this morning and could not believe the standby line was at 55 minutes. It's a neat little ride but it's not worth that. By the time we left, even the FP+ ride was stretched way back. The Figment ride was over 30 minutes standby as well! Crazy stuff.

The weird thing is, WS doesn't feel that busy. It was definitely much busier during F&W last year, and I don't remember the standby lines being that long.

We're back at our resort, Boardwalk, resting for a bit. It's HOT. Definitely had worse, but 86° in February is a bit surprising!

This is our first DVC stay, and we LOVE Boardwalk. I've been really impressed. We head to Kidani Village tomorrow for the rest of the week. I am DEFINITELY NOT browsing small-point contract BWV/BCV listings right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter