I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my youngest just graduated, what does everyone think i should push for her first chase card? freedom, freedom unlimited, or southwest, she has excellant credit, has a BOA credit card that's 4yrs old, but did try for the SW last yr and was denied, so which is easier to get, she will have a full time job starting in Aug, now it's only part time.

Knew I'd forget something! I'm not 100% confident on pursuing a business card, but just realized P2's hobby-related sales could qualify. Hmm.....even more options to confuse me!
Also, how difficult is it to redeem UR? All of my experience so far has been cash-back through either gift card or purchase erasure, so it's been extremely flexible.

URs can be cashed out as well...or transferred to travel partners like SW...or used to book hotels, airfare etc through the Chase travel portal....I have found them very easy to use

We have only been to the PP lounge on the B side once...they did ask me for our boarding passes, PP card and ID....it was not busy in the lounge at the time...also not sure what time they close
will they accept a BP that just got used,like we got off the plane?

I can't say because I haven't been there for so long, but Folly Beach was where we went when I was in college at the College of Charleston..so many fun memories! I know a lot has changed in the past 20 years, but my friend did go down there last year and stayed in Folly and enjoyed it. Enjoy your trip! I have to get my kids down there one of these trips.
Thank you - we are getting very excited! We usually do a Hilton Head/Savannah trip, so we're hoping this has a similar vibe.

so my youngest just graduated, what does everyone think i should push for her first chase card? freedom, freedom unlimited, or southwest, she has excellant credit, has a BOA credit card that's 4yrs old, but did try for the SW last yr and was denied, so which is easier to get, she will have a full time job starting in Aug, now it's only part time.

If you/she can uses SW points the 60k RR offer right now is probably better than the Freedoms....what was the reason for the denial last year ?

I don't think there is a general show your AAA card and get as discount anymore. If you buy Universal tickets through AAA, you can get a discount card for some dining and merchandise though. From Mousesavers -

Members of the American Automobile Association (AAA) or the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) save 10% at select dining and merchandise locations. Note that as of April 2015, we are hearing that Universal is requiring guests to show a special “Discounts & Rewards” voucher along with their membership card. You receive the voucher from participating AAA clubs when you buy tickets or a vacation package from AAA. It still may be worth asking for a AAA discount even if you don’t have the voucher, especially at independent restaurants like Margaritaville and Hard Rock Cafe.

• 10% off select locations in the two theme parks. (Offer excludes merchandise or food carts, tattoos, alcohol, tobacco, candy, film, collectibles and sundry items.) If you belong to AAA or CAA, be sure to ask at every theme park restaurant and shop whether there is a discount.
  • 10% off Universal Orlando CityWalk restaurants and shops. (Offer excludes merchandise or food carts, tattoos, alcohol, tobacco, candy, film, collectibles or sundry items. Discount on food, non-alcoholic drinks and merchandise at all CityWalk restaurants and shops with the exception of Emeril’s, Bubba Gump, Fossil and Fresh Produce.) Valid up to six people per AAA membership card. Show your membership card to get the discount.
This rings a bell. I feel like you had to order your tickets through them to get it, so that's why I skipped it, their ticket prices weren't as good.
I checked on their phone status line a few times yesterday and online a couple too. Was going to speak to someone today if I didn't get approved but changed status this morning. when did you apply?
5/15. This is the Barclays card. Last time I think it took 10 days for my Arrival Plus approval.
Did you already get your benefits mailing? That's what I usually get 5 days out from approval.
This is the Barclays card, I should have said. Are they crazy slow like Citi?

Knew I'd forget something! I'm not 100% confident on pursuing a business card, but just realized P2's hobby-related sales could qualify. Hmm.....even more options to confuse me!
Also, how difficult is it to redeem UR? All of my experience so far has been cash-back through either gift card or purchase erasure, so it's been extremely flexible.

I find URs really easy to use as well. The 80,000 points from the CIP sign-up would be worth $1200 in travel if you also get a CSR. Or if not, the CIP comes with 1.25 redemption, so it would be worth $1000. Only one of you would need to get a CSR since the URs can be pooled within the same household.

The Chase portal runs off of Expedia. They block some of the independent hotels and sometimes the price is not the best, you just have to compare. You can also redeem for activities (like theme park tickets, tours) and for cruises (price would be the same as booking direct). No Disney whatsoever though. They've blocked all the Disney hotels, park tickets, and Disney cruises.

If you/she can uses SW points the 60k RR offer right now is probably better than the Freedoms....what was the reason for the denial last year ?
I think it was the age of her credit, I heard the freedoms are easier to get, so I'd really like for her to apply for one she'll actually get.

UR is probably the most flexible point system, at least in regards to easy redemption value. You can cash them out into your bank account, take a statement credit (straight statement credit, don't need to "erase" any specific purchase or category, just off the top credit), use them to book travel on Chase's travel portal or transfer them to travel partners. All UR points on any UR card are worth at least 1 cent cash (there are lower redemption options but there's no point to them if you can get cash at a better value) with no minimum redemption so 50,000 UR points gives you $500 cash in the bank or off your statement. (or 1 pt will get you .01 back)

All UR cards can also use them on the Chase travel portal, but depending on the card you get a different value there - the Freedom (CF) and Freedom Unlimited (CFU) are redeemed at 1 cpp so there's no compelling reason to use them through the travel portal, for those you may as well just cash them out; the Sapphire Preferred (CSP) card and the Ink Preferred (CIP) redeem at a 1.25 cpp value, so 50,000 UR points would be worth $625 of travel from the portal; the Sapphire Reserved (CSR) gives a 1.5 cpp value so 50k UR = $750 cash value of travel.

Only certain UR cards transfer UR points to travel partners and that's the premium cards: CSP, CSR, and CIP. They all transfer 1:1 so 50k UR could be 50k SW RR points, or Hyatt, or several others. Depending on the redemption you can get greater than the 1.5 cpp by transferring your points into a partners point currency.

There are other points programs that give the same options but Chase seems to be the easiest to redeem with at least 1 cpp valuations.

ETA: Almost forgot the other selling feature is they also do points pooling both between cards and between household members. So any UR points earned on a CF card can be transferred to a premium card like the CSR to get a better redemption value. Also if your spouse gets a UR card they can transfer their points one of your cards that may have a better redemption value. This makes it a popular program to get into with how easy it is to earn and redeem the points.

Last edited:
I can't decide if I want the Spaceship Earth MB or the Castle one... :)
They are both so nice! I want Spaceship Earth and I am going to get the castle one for my mom on a future stay.

My daughter is deciding between Moana and Stitch

I finally got through and picked Stitch since I will be at Poly. Its only fitting :)

I did not realize I would have to pay for the upgraded band when finishing my selections. IDK why I thought the charge would just be on the room folio. Looks like I really have to decide on bands now rather than changing my mind 100x lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter