I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who uses their Amex Offers- $60 off $300 SPG stay showed up on my SPG card (whoo hoo!) as well as others AND both 10% and 15% off at Starbucks, up to $5. Not sure if they'll apply the 15% or 10% first or simultaneously. DD is hooked on SB so it's a win at this house :)

Thank you! Without these kinds of posts, I'd miss so many offers.

For starbucks, what is going to be the best way to get DH to pay since he only carries his CSR? Do they take Apple Pay that could load his amex to?

For starbucks, what is going to be the best way to get DH to pay since he only carries his CSR? Do they take Apple Pay that could load his amex to?

You can reload your Starbucks app with Apple Pay, but you can't use Apple Pay in stores to my knowledge.

I do remember the discussion but not the names. I think it’s on the reddit-DIS-Churners site. One other thing I remember reading is that we have to make any changes to the package before the transfer to Chase. This is giving me some stress though, so if anyone knows differently, then I’d be happy to hear it, lol. So, my understanding is, if room discounts come out, we’d have to cancel and rebook.... Not sure about lesser changes like dining packages, ticket upgrades, etc? I’m trying to nail it down the best I can today because my 30 days is almost up. I feel like trying to book a second identical package today just to start the 30 day ticker again to give myself more time, lol.

Ha I also thought about cancelling and re-booking the identical package in a few weeks but I'm not sure how that would affect ADRs (our 180 days is June 26).

Theoretically, anyone in the Cruise and Tour Department should be able to do it for you. However, if you call and get someone who says they can't, hang up and call back and dial the extension for Melissa x. 4179. Others have had success with her before, and I booked my trip with her.

Thanks!

So I'm not familiar with Starbucks, hubby does not like it but sometimes it's the only option when he needs coffee so occasionally we buy there. The AmEx offer says its good for app reloads, I assume this is the gift card/balance linked to your Starbucks account? If so, does that balance expire at all? I wonder if I can create an account and just put some money on it through the reload to take advantage of the 15% offer and then we just use that when we get held hostage. Will that work? Thanks!

Question on SPG offer - do you think it has to be in one stay, or just $300 cumulative over the life of the offer?

I am wondering the same. Recently did a hilton offer for DH that was similar but he was doing multiple one night stays. He is just a few $$ short of the $300 so not sure yet it the bonus will credit. I don't see language stating it has to be all one charge.

OMGoodness!! I've been approved for the CIC!!! :banana::banana::banana:
I just lowered my CLs Tuesday and kept going back and forth about when I should apply. I really want this card for tickets/APs for our September trip. I have to have them by the end of this month to make FPs for the trip. I continued to stare at the calendar as if my FP date would change somehow if I stared at it a bit more. Yesterday afternoon I decided to just go for it. Got the 30 day message online, which is exactly what I was expecting so no surprise there. I only called the status line twice yesterday and it was still 30 days. I fully expected at least a few days of tortous calling and still hearing 30 days before I'd finally get an answer. Just called this morning and to my surprise it says I was approved! I'm thrilled!! Now I'm hoping the card arrives quickly.

@SouthFayetteFan’s Guide to the RIGHT way to churn!

Fair Warning – this is a long post, but something I think many of you here may enjoy reading… Lately there has been a lot of discussion on r/churning and other groups (at times heated) regarding the RIGHT way to churn. I figured, I’d share with our group the RIGHT way to churn so we are all on the same page.
  • Some people like to churn slowly. They want to open no more than 2-3 cards per year, and never more than one card at a time. In between MSRs they focus on category bonuses on their existing cards…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people like to open as many cards as possible, dozens in a year even. They push the envelope of the issuers’ rules and throw caution to the wind. They’ve never met a signup bonus they didn’t like AND they wouldn’t dare think about going without an MSR for even a day…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people like to get a moderate amount of cards each year, hovering around 5/24 so that they avoid being locked out by Chase but still putting the majority of their spend towards an MSR…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people are in Two-Player mode and can alternate applications and increase their earning potential…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people have no player two. They go about it on their own and do their best to earn as many points as possible…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people have an unwilling player two. They wish that their P2 would be willing like others that comment so happily about their ability to double their earnings. But they still do their best to earn as many points as possible (and convince their P2 to join eventually) …and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people are super-comfortable with Business Cards. They have so many you’d think they are a Fortune 500 company…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people are wary of applying for a Business Card. It’s just not something they’re comfortable with and they still earn a decent number of points focusing on personal cards only…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people get non-Chase personal cards while still under 5/24 (GASP!) because it fits their strategy…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people wouldn’t think of touching a non-Chase personal card until they’re over 5/24…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people pay numerous annual fees to keep cards open because it’s worth it to them…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people avoid annual fees at all costs and product change or cancel cards rather than paying them…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people like to use churning to take extravagant trips beyond most folk’s wildest imaginations. They often incur additional expenses (annual fees, out of pocket costs, etc.) to do this but they love it and can afford it…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people take a moderate number of vacations each year which churning is able to partially or fully pay for and wouldn’t think of wasting their precious points stash on things like First Class or Awesome hotel suites…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people use churning to help afford just one nice vacation a year because finances or tight, or they have a large family, or for myriad other reasons…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people focus on cash back because travel is not their cup of tea…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people love to participate in MS (Manufactured Spending), they not only enjoy the points they earn, but they actually have fun doing it. It’s a game to see how many points they can generate at the least expensive cost…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people will only do MS from the comfort of their couch (bank funding, applepay, etc.)…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people think MS is not for them, perhaps they even think it’s illegal or skirting the rules. They don’t judge others for doing it but choose not to participate themselves…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people will focus on numerous programs all at the same time. Hilton, Marriott, IHG, Southwest, Delta, United, American, URs, MRs…it doesn’t matter, they’ll take ‘em! They’ve never found a point they didn’t like…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people choose to focus on a limited number of programs, perhaps even a program that others think isn’t quite worth it (yup I’m looking at you HILTON!) …and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people also like to do bank bonuses as a way to increase their earnings in the game…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people think bank bonuses aren’t worth the hassle…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people plan multi-year strategies of which cards they’ll get and when. They can’t imagine somebody participating in this game without having a game-plan (and perhaps they even quietly judge those that don’t have one…although they’d never publicly shame them) …and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people have no strategy whatsoever. Whichever card they feel like next…that’s the card they get. Gosh, we’ll just figure out how to use the points later. They think people who have these plans are just setting themselves up for disappointment because the rules will change and the target will move anyways…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people have a spreadsheet to track every detail (or heck, maybe dozens of spreadsheets in my case) …and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people just keep track on a napkin…or maybe not at all. Keeping all that data is too much of a hassle and if the game requires work like that, well then it’s not just fun…and THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO CHURN
  • Some people forget to use a Support Link on DISchurners…and they are shunned…and THIS IS THE…wait…no that’s the wrong way to churn ;) JK JK JK!!!
The truth of the matter is…There is no WRONG way to churn. I love how accepting this group is of everybody’s varying preferences and habits in the game. I know we all are happy to share OUR PERSONAL best practices, but nobody forces their “right” way on others. I truly love our group here, I’m glad we have a friendly space to discuss churning without anger, name-calling, and other drama. Just consider this a friendly reminder that when somebody is doing something different than you in the game…that maybe it’s their right way to churn! :thumbsup2

I cannot "love" this post enought!! I really feel this is an amazing group of DISers we have here. There's so much diversity in travel goals and levels of experience yet the environment remains welcoming and friendly. Couldn't ask for more!

I am wondering the same. Recently did a hilton offer for DH that was similar but he was doing multiple one night stays. He is just a few $$ short of the $300 so not sure yet it the bonus will credit. I don't see language stating it has to be all one charge.

Haha, I was just going to tag you to see how that turned out :) I guess we wait a little longer.

Good news on Apple Pay at starbucks. I thought I faintly remembered using it there for one of the CF Apple Pay bonuses...whatever quarter that was...
Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 9.57.48 AM.png

For the 15% off Starbucks offer, go in store and ask to reload DH's app (be signed into DH's Starbucks app on your iPhone) or buy a gift card to load into DH's app in the amount of $33.34 (to maximize the $5 statement credit), pay with the card with the offer on it.

For the 10% deal, the amount is $50 to maximize the $5 credit.

I recall @Calfan said these Amex Offers worked when reloading her Starbucks balance in-app and paying with the card with the offer on it. But if you reload in app, you can only do so in certain denominations; in store, you can ask to reload exactly $33.34.

Haha, I was just going to tag you to see how that turned out :) I guess we wait a little longer.
I just looked and he spent $299.27 on his 2 stays. :headache: So now I will have to have his next stay go on there too for our little experiment, to hit the $300 spend. Such a waste since I am trying to meet MSR on the Hilton biz.

ETA: typos

I just lowered my CLs Tuesday and kept going back and forth about when I should apply. I really want this card for tickets/APs for our September trip. I have to have them by the end of this month to make FPs for the trip. I continued to stare at the calendar as if my FP date would change somehow if I stared at it a bit more. Yesterday afternoon I decided to just go for it. Got the 30 day message online, which is exactly what I was expecting so no surprise there. I only called the status line twice yesterday and it was still 30 days. I fully expected at least a few days of tortous calling and still hearing 30 days before I'd finally get an answer. Just called this morning and to my surprise it says I was approved! I'm thrilled!! Now I'm hoping the card arrives quickly.

I cannot "love" this post enought!! I really feel this is an amazing group of DISers we ave here. There's so much diversity in travel goals and levels of experience yet the environment remains welcoming and friendly. Couldn't ask for more!

Congrats! :woohoo::jumping1::woohoo:

I know that feeling, couple months ago I kept looking and debating on a card and I had a bill due so then finally I decided if I waited any longer I wouldn't be able to use it to meet MSR so I just decided "aw screw it, what's the worst that could happen?" It's all magically better when that approval comes through ! There's a certain euphoria that pops up... I can see how this can be addicting for people :laughing:

I just looked and he spent $299.27 on his 2 stays. :headache: So now I will have to have his next stay go on there too for our little experiment, to hit the $300 spend. Such a waste since I am trying to meet MSR on the Hilton biz.

ETA: typos

Oh that sucks, so close! Do you have a Hilton close by? I wonder if you can go in and buy something small if it would work. Since it says room and rate charges I'm guessing it would have to be something charged by the front desk, I wonder if you can buy a $5 gift card (or whatever the minimum is) from them and see if that works? That way you're not pulling a lot from the MSR.

So I'm not familiar with Starbucks, hubby does not like it but sometimes it's the only option when he needs coffee so occasionally we buy there. The AmEx offer says its good for app reloads, I assume this is the gift card/balance linked to your Starbucks account? If so, does that balance expire at all? I wonder if I can create an account and just put some money on it through the reload to take advantage of the 15% offer and then we just use that when we get held hostage. Will that work? Thanks!

Almost certain Starbucks gift card and app balances don’t expire. A year or two ago, I remember reading Starbucks had something like $1.2 billion of their customers’ money tied up in app and gift card balances.

I think last time these offers didn't say app reloads worked but they did. This time the fine print says app reloads ARE eligible. I don't think it expires either.

I cannot "love" this post enought!! I really feel this is an amazing group of DISers we have here. There's so much diversity in travel goals and levels of experience yet the environment remains welcoming and friendly. Couldn't ask for more!

CONGRATULATIONS!

:cheer2:party::cool1::disrocks:
I guess Chase doesn't think your business is "too new" now that it's a month older. :rotfl2:

Really glad you got this awesome news after the string of bad luck you've had!

And I hope you get the card in time! I got approved for the CIC on 5/15, and it arrived on 5/24. :scratchin If you're in a rush, you can call to request the card expedited.

I'll usually buy a $500 VGC at Safeway while doing regular grocery shopping. Safeway doesn't send L3 data, so for all Amex knows I'm catering a company picnic.
Safeway? I don't have that option around here...I guess I'll take my chances with what Lowes or HD has (sigh)

Oh that sucks, so close! Do you have a Hilton close by? I wonder if you can go in and buy something small if it would work. Since it says room and rate charges I'm guessing it would have to be something charged by the front desk, I wonder if you can buy a $5 gift card (or whatever the minimum is) from them and see if that works? That way you're not pulling a lot from the MSR.

genius. I will try that! We have a Hampton inn I can walk to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter