• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[
An FYI for folks with CapOne360 accounts, keep an eye out for the email I just received:

"check out your new transaction limits"

Security is a top priority at Capital One®. So as of August 1, 2018, we’re changing the limits for ACH external transfers to better protect your accounts.

Automated Clearing House (ACH) External Transfer Limits: Your 360 accounts will now be subject to limits on the amount of electronic transfers between your account and external accounts at other financial institutions. These limits are designed to be flexible in order to protect the security and integrity of the service and accounts, as well as you and all other users of the service. Based on confidential fraud and essential risk criteria, they may be modified at our discretion without advance notice.
What transactions will this impact? ACH external transfers are electronic deposit and withdrawal transfers made between your Capital One accounts and your linked external accounts.
What happens if I need to exceed the limit? At Capital One, ACH transfers are just one way to move money. So if you have a transaction that exceeds your limit, we’ll try to help you find an alternative that meets your needs.
Debit Card Transaction Limits: Withdrawals made from an ATM using your 360 Checking® debit card are limited to $1,000.00 per day, as they always were. Total 360 Checking® debit card transactions will now be limited to a combined total of $5,000.00 per day. This includes ATM withdrawals, cash advances, and signature and PIN-based purchases.
What if I need to make a larger purchase? Coming soon online, you’ll be able to temporarily change your spending limit to allow for bigger purchases.

So in true click bait fashion, they don't actually tell you what the limits are. It's reminding me of AmEx where one day I may need to make a transfer and poof, nope you've exceeded you arbitrary limit we've decided to impose that you're not allowed to know about so I can keep your money hostage. (insert evil laugh here)

But I'm also trying to understand what this is going to do, because they say they'll find a way to let you move the money still... I'm pretty sure I had a way it was you that blocked it, so how is this meeting my needs? So what does stopping the external transfer do for me in the name of protecting my account if it was a legit request from me?

For people using CapOne for bank bonuses this may become a show stopper depending on how it's actually implemented. If the rules turn out to be something like you can only do one in a rolling 3 day period or something, probably workable. If something else may need backup.
I got the same email. Read it over multiple times trying to see what the limits are!

Might be old news but I got notice of new changes to my AmEx agreements, including some updates to MR program. Some things I found interesting

1. They are changing the name of the AmEx Gold card to "Classic Gold Card". If there's aren't multiple varieties of Gold cards now maybe something new is coming? Or is that just aligning the card with other charge card names? I don't keep track, I just go by the colors :p

2. For the SPG program change Aug 1, the MR transfer rate will change to 1:1 and can be transferred in increments of 1,000 points.

3. Starting Sep 1 they are changing how using your points to shop at Amazon works. If you buy something completely with points, they will charge the whole purchase to your card immediately then deduct your points from your balance to give an equal statement credit. If it's partial points, they will charge the part covered with points immediately and do the statement credit thing, then after the product ships they'll charge your card for the balance like normal.

And they're also changing the names of some of the Pay Over Time type programs and eligibility to initial new payment plans. Also the extended warranty and purchase protection benefits that I think was reported already. I don't think too many people will care about #3 as most savvy shoppers only use 1 MR point to get the promo :D

I just PC'd my CSP to a Freedom just a bit ago. While on the phone she activated next quarter's bonus categories and I thought she said she was also activating this quarter which isn't quite over yet. Where can I see this quarter? I can see next quarter as activated. Maybe I'm just too late? I'll just use the card at the grocery store anyway instead of the CSR, but if I'm sure it's working for bonus I might more inclined to Paypal/Chase Pay a little as well. We'll have no problem hitting the MSR on dh's new CSR, we're 1/4 of the way there already. Darn house needs a lot more before moving in than we thought unfortunately.

ETA: Nevermind, found it. Says I missed activating this quarter so I guess I'm stuck with next quarter. I was hoping to to at least get a few bonus pts this week. Gas and Walgreens, hmm.
I would call again to try to activate. Some reps will say you missed the activation period, but if you find a good one - they'll activate it for you. I activated 2 CF cards in the last 7 days of March for Q1 :) I had to HUCA twice on the second card to get somebody that would do it.

I was going to get my DD one to help her out too, and use is to fund part of the MSR on my husbands next card :-(.
I just got my bonus on Saturday. Can you still open it and fund with AMEX with no bonus? Still might be helpful then.
Probably but she wants that bonus lol. I’ll find her another!

Popping in to say that we met the MSR for DH's new CFU in a snap thanks to our insane electric bill, making some donations, and paying our car insurance a month early! Ah, the silver linings of having an under-insulated top floor apartment in Texas in June...Just waiting for those charges to post to get those sweet sweet URs :D I see how this hobby is addicting!

Guys, I'm bored, I have no min spend to work on. Apparently planning out how to max out the last bit of this quarter with 2 Discovers and a Freedom, next quarter with a Freedom, and the 10% Staples/Lowes offers I've got on three cards isn't enough... #churnerproblems

I’m having the exact opposite problem! Too many MSRs coming up, or new cards I want, with too many expenses tied up to optimize bonus categories, and not enough non-bonus big ticket expenses in the coming months.

I finished my SPG personal MSR last week and 30k Starpoints have posted to my SPG account. I’m just about done with my CIC MSR, and should be over it once charges from today post. That’s another 50k UR when my statement closes next month.

I signed up for the 125k Hilton Biz offer — still waiting for the card so I can start putting non-bonus spend on it and start chipping away at the $5k MSR (!!!).

I probably should have passed on the Hilton Biz (no plans to use the points, although I’m a big advocate of signing up for Amex bonuses at their highest and we’ve been needing to rebuild our Hilton stash), and used the next month or two months to focus on maximizing the 10% back offers on DW’s and my SPG Bizes, and putting all non-bonus spend on the SPG cards while they’re still earning 1x Starpoint until 8/1. (I guess it’d make more sense to maximize the Exxon offer on the SPG Biz after 8/1 because even though base earn lowers to 2x Marriott points from an effective 3x now, gas is supposed to go up and earn 4x Marriott points). Meanwhile, I could’ve thrown in the CIU for DW and a BBP for me — both with lower MSRs — to keep me busy with new cards.

Instead, since I’ve been approved for the Hilton Biz, I feel like I need to double down and refer DW for her own Hilton Biz while the offer is still 125k until 6/27 in order for this detour to have made sense. Really crossing my fingers my Hilton Biz comes in soon!

But to meet a combined $10k MSR on Amex cards means lost opportunity cost somewhere, because I’m going to have to shift some optimized bonus spend to the Hilton Bizes, or at the very least not put non-bonus spend on the SPG cards while their base earn is still worth something. And I still want the BBP in my wallet, which I’ll probably have to push back to later this year; and the CIU for DW, which is looking more like late summer now and pushes up against the release of the SPG Luxury card.

Oh, I finally maxed out my Chase Freedom today by buying 4x $100 VGCs from Safeway, which I’ll be using into next quarter for non-bonus spend that could’ve been going onto the SPG cards or Hilton Bizes. Small solace that I still have 4x $50 VGCs to buy, but I’m waiting for my Hilton Biz to come in for that.

Last edited:
I just PC'd my CSP to a Freedom just a bit ago. While on the phone she activated next quarter's bonus categories and I thought she said she was also activating this quarter which isn't quite over yet. Where can I see this quarter? I can see next quarter as activated. Maybe I'm just too late? I'll just use the card at the grocery store anyway instead of the CSR, but if I'm sure it's working for bonus I might more inclined to Paypal/Chase Pay a little as well. We'll have no problem hitting the MSR on dh's new CSR, we're 1/4 of the way there already. Darn house needs a lot more before moving in than we thought unfortunately.

ETA: Nevermind, found it. Says I missed activating this quarter so I guess I'm stuck with next quarter. I was hoping to to at least get a few bonus pts this week. Gas and Walgreens, hmm.

I just did the same exact thing. My Freedom just arrived in the mail today. They activated next quarter for me when I called to PC. I just activated this quarter. Now I have both activated. I’d call them.

DS11 is ready to be home, home after 7 nights in the DR (I think it’s the lack of phone contact with his friends) so I just canceled our post-visit to OCMD and got our points returned from Choice Privileges. The oceanfront room would have been nice but the Murky MD ocean doesn’t come close to the clear blue Caribbean. (I have admit I am ready to be home also :) so good call of his part.)

Instead, since I’ve been approved for the Hilton Biz, I feel like I need to double down and refer DW for her own Hilton Biz while the offer is still 125k until 6/27 in order for this detour to have made sense. Really crossing my fingers my Hilton Biz comes in soon!

But to meet a combined $10k MSR on Amex cards means lost opportunity cost somewhere, because I’m going to have to shift some optimized bonus spend to the Hilton Bizes, or at the very least not put non-bonus spend on the SPG cards while their base earn is still worth something.

This was me until I made that decision to just hold off on him and do the regular 100k offer. Hope it works out for you though! If I thought I could pull it off I could, but with $500 left on my CIP, $1700 left on CIC, and $3500 left on my Hilton, it's just too much right now!

Too many MSRs coming up, or new cards I want, with too many expenses tied up to optimize bonus categories, and not enough non-bonus big ticket expenses in the coming months.
I have multiple I want, but have to wait until October for me, to start CIP/double dip. Want to make sure DH can go for SW CP at the end of the year, if he doesn't get any personal cards before then he'll be 1/24. Started daydreaming about CIC today... :) Hilton biz is tempting but I dont have any ideas for Hilton points right now.

After Safeway gc deals, I've got $260 to go on DHs Discover, $400 on mine, and $330 on my CF.

I went online to add an authorized user to my new CSP but I can’t find any language about it generating an extra 5K bonus. Did I dream that?

Start looking for cards... just got the heck beat out of the house with golf ball size hail. All 3 cars are on our insurance still...
Oh no. We aren’t there and my dh’s truck is parked out of the garage. Hope it wasn’t too bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter