I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, longtime lurker but I have never posted before. I have learned so much from all of you, so thank you! I used Uber for the first time last weekend, and I learned the hard way that you cannot use gift cards on a ride where a promo code is applied. The gift card will be applied to a tip for that ride, though.

As of last weekend, there was a promo for $15 off your first 2 rides if you pay with a Chase card and are a new Uber user. It's buried in the Uber app. It's not showing for me any more but I think it was in either "payments" or "help". I didn't get to use it, because I had already input a different code and couldn't remove it, but hopefully you can!

I used Uber for the first time last weekend, and I learned the hard way that you cannot use gift cards on a ride where a promo code is applied. The gift card will be applied to a tip for that ride, though.

Thank you for this! The promo code I saw was only for my first ride, so maybe I can use that on the Uber ride from LAX and will use the GC on the way back.

Thanks! My Office Depot is on the way home, but if they don't have it then I'll definitely check Gyft. I've never used Gyft before, are the gift cards emails to you, or mailed? Just don't want to run the risk of not getting the gift card before we go.

As a new Gyft user, you'll want to start off slow or else you'll flag their anti-fraud algorithms. Do low denominations in low volume to season your account and develop some history and pattern of purchases. Gyft is an app, but they also have a website. I only ever use the app, and it works fine for me. @DaveL has had Gyft tell him their app can be buggy and to use their website, but that kind of defeats the point of buying gift cards on the go. Always check out with PayPal selecting CIC on app or website for 5x. The gift card is electronic and should appear in the app or website immediately after purchase. If Gyft doesn't like something about the transaction, they may delay your order or decline the payment.

Is your link for a student card or does discover issue fairly easily to teens from their whole line? I need to app for dd19 as well.

I used my DiscoverIT link for my student DS19. It was his first CC. Once he entered info that he was a student, it automatically switched to a student Discover and I still got the bonus. It's a great starter card for teens. I love the card myself!

Last edited:
Ok. So very frustrated right now. Trying to get a few CC's as we have some big purchases coming up. So, a week or so ago I mentioned I was denied for the CIP and I called in and the guy said stuff about too many recent accounts and other nonsense. So, in the meantime I applied for AMEX Gold Business. Was approved for that and waiting on the card. Still need another card so thought I would apply DH for the Barclaycard offer that was just released. Did not get instant approval and kept checking online and was denied for that also. (said reason would be in the letter they send). So, getting very frustrated as we have never been denied for cards. Following is the cards in the past 24 months for both of us. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great...

Me:
Chase CSR (PC to Freedom and just a week ago PC'd back to CSR) - 11/16
Chase Marriott - 5/17
Chase SW Business - 6/17 (just closed card to free up $ available)
Chase SW Plus - 6/17
AMEX SPG - 12/17
Chase Marriott Business - 2/18
AMEX SPG Business - 4/18
AMEX Gold Business - 7/18

So, Should be 4/24, 1/12 and 1/6 - which to me seems pretty good.

DH:
Chase Freedom (Was CSR) - 8/16
Barclay Arrival + - 4/17 (card is closed but I know still counts)
AMEX SPG Business - 7/17
Chase SW Business - 1/18
Chase SW Plus - 1/18
Chase Ink Preferred Business - 5/18

So, He should be 3/24, 1/12 and 1/6.

Neither one of us are AU's on each others cards.

I got the denial letter from Chase yesterday and it says: Our decision was based on these specific reasons:

New Chase Business Card Recently Opened (Didn't think Business cards counted and the last one was in February)
Too many credit or loan accounts opened recently (we just closed on Refi on our house - would that affect anything)
Too many active accounts or too much available credit ( I had recently lowered limits on some cards and cancelled one of them - maybe not soon enough)
Not enough time has passed since your last account with us was opened. (again last account was Marriott Business in February)

It also said they used my credit score which they showed as 853 from Equifax.

I don't see any real reason for the denial compared to how many cards others get. Something I am not seeing. Now that I have the letter was thinking of calling recon again... Any suggestions for me?? Thanks.

As a new Gyft user, you'll want to start off slow or else you'll flag their anti-fraud algorithms. Do low denominations in low volume to season your account and develop some history and pattern of purchases. Gyft is an app, but they also have a website. I only ever use the app, and it works fine for me. @DaveL has had Gyft tell him their app can be buggy and to use their website, but that kind of defeats the point of buying gift cards on the go. Always check out with PayPal selecting CIC on app or website for 5x. The gift card is electronic and should appear in the app or website immediately after purchase. If Gyft doesn't like something about the transaction, they may delay your order or decline the payment.

Thanks! Yeah, I would probably only buy a $50 Uber GC for now if they don't have them at Office Depot. I really haven't used my CIC at all for the 5x yet just because DH has been putting a lot of organic spend on it to meet the MSR while I finish up the Hilton Biz. Once we meet the MSR, I'll take it from him and start using it to buy GCs more.

They also tell me my Credit Card denied the charge while I can clearly see a charge and refund on the card, and PayPal says they approved the transaction but the merchant didn't finish the transaction so they put the money back.:rotfl2: I am convinced their call center does not know anything about how their company functions and just makes stuff up as they go for so long they believe it. Anyway large ($250) cards get denied 100% it sounds for new accounts... Once I went to $100 cards I got a message they needed time to process the order and then was finally approved, right after that I was able to order another and so on just waiting for each to be approved before the next. I think 4 cards later and a few days all have since been instant approvals. I have yet to try a $250 tho.

Welcome to American Express!
I bit the bullet and was approved. My card will be here 3 business days it says. But gave me a temporary card for virtual wallet. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Now to spend $5000 to get my 100k points. Anyone know if I can buy gift cards at Bjs if that would work towards that 5000? Or is this the card that says no gift cards? My disney trip final payment is coming up.

I bit the bullet and was approved. My card will be here 3 business days it says. But gave me a temporary card for virtual wallet. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Now to spend $5000 to get my 100k points. Anyone know if I can buy gift cards at Bjs if that would work towards that 5000? Or is this the card that says no gift cards? My disney trip final payment is coming up.

Congrats! Welcome to American Express! I :lovestruc my Platinum, and also didn't think I would keep it past a year and happily have.

That said, please DO NOT buy gift cards to meet your MSR. Amex can and will take back your MRs. They are very picky...to the point of waiting an extra month on "bonuses" for some bonus MRs (not the initial 100,000 but extra say 5x for flights or the the 1.5 x on everyday preferred categories) . Even if you use an "offer" they will subtract those MRs...DMs card had a $60 back if $300 used on Delta so of course we used that offer and when I look at the line items on the bonus it adds 5X300---1500 MR, 5x-60 (returned money) -300 MR. Amex does not play around with their MRs. I'm not saying this to be negative, just to let you know.

Enjoy it!

I used my DiscoverIT link for my student DS19. It was his first CC. Once he entered info that he was a student, it automatically switched to a student Discover and I still got the points. It's a great starter card for teens. I love the card myself!
Perfect, thank you!

My CIC bonus just posted!
Hyatt still doesn't have availability for the first night of our Disneyland trip. I want to look at other options but the UR portal keeps telling me there are no hotels in Orange County. Ugggh.
You need to search the Chase UR site by Anaheim, CA, USA. Plenty of hotels should appear. I got quite the list when I searched including the Grand California but DLH and Paradise Pier never came up. It ended up being cheaper just to book the Sheraton Park directly though when I recently booked for our upcoming trip.

I'm having such card envy lately... hearing you guys talk about the 100k Amex Platinum offer makes me want it, but the AF is insane to me and I would never get my value out of it other than the initial bonus. I mean, I guess that would be a reason to get it, but I just can't see paying $550 for a card at this stage. I don't Uber, don't shop at Saks... buh. Still need to double dip so no reason for the jealousy :rolleyes:

Congrats! Welcome to American Express! I :lovestruc my Platinum, and also didn't think I would keep it past a year and happily have.

That said, please DO NOT buy gift cards to meet your MSR. Amex can and will take back your MRs. They are very picky...to the point of waiting an extra month on "bonuses" for some bonus MRs (not the initial 100,000 but extra say 5x for flights or the the 1.5 x on everyday preferred categories) . Even if you use an "offer" they will subtract those MRs...DMs card had a $60 back if $300 used on Delta so of course we used that offer and when I look at the line items on the bonus it adds 5X300---1500 MR, 5x-60 (returned money) -300 MR. Amex does not play around with their MRs. I'm not saying this to be negative, just to let you know.

Enjoy it!

That is what I thought. I was pretty sure it was Amex that said gift cards are a no no.

Thanks!

During a bout of insomnia last night, I was thinking to myself what was going to be the best way for me to get from LAX to DL in a couple weeks. I had been thinking I'd use Lyft and charge it to my CF for 5x UR, but I really didn't want to do that since I'm working on MSR for CIC and Hilton Biz. Then I remembered- duh! 5x office supply stores for CIC and see if they have an Uber gift card! Anyone ever seen one there before? I can't remember when the last time is that I went in my local Office Depot so I'm not sure what their selection of gift cards looks like.

Thanks! I'll have to grab DH's CIC tomorrow and stop by on my way home from work. I've also never used Uber and it looks like there's a first time user $15 promo code right now too, so at least I'll get by fairly cheap on the long ride from LAX to the Hilton Anaheim.

Thank you for this! The promo code I saw was only for my first ride, so maybe I can use that on the Uber ride from LAX and will use the GC on the way back.

Thanks! Yeah, I would probably only buy a $50 Uber GC for now if they don't have them at Office Depot. I really haven't used my CIC at all for the 5x yet just because DH has been putting a lot of organic spend on it to meet the MSR while I finish up the Hilton Biz. Once we meet the MSR, I'll take it from him and start using it to buy GCs more.

Don't forget to check your Amex Offers list. While not a true "offer", since you are a new uber user, if you pay with your Amex (as long as it shows up on your Amex Offers list; I have it for all 5 of my Amex cards still showing), it's up to $30 off your first ride. Only one use, but from LAX to DL, that should be definitely be at least $30 :) Good way to get $30 off and have some of it go towards your MSR. Check your offers list for the code and apply it BEFORE requesting a ride!

They also tell me my Credit Card denied the charge while I can clearly see a charge and refund on the card, and PayPal says they approved the transaction but the merchant didn't finish the transaction so they put the money back.:rotfl2: I am convinced their call center does not know anything about how their company functions and just makes stuff up as they go for so long they believe it. Anyway large ($250) cards get denied 100% it sounds for new accounts... Once I went to $100 cards I got a message they needed time to process the order and then was finally approved, right after that I was able to order another and so on just waiting for each to be approved before the next. I think 4 cards later and a few days all have since been instant approvals. I have yet to try a $250 tho.

I used to have all these issues too and I was able to get an instant HD GC for $250 last week. Whoohoo!

I have purchased 3rd party GC with Amex msr no problem...knock on wood.

ETA: mine have all been purchased with other items while I am out shopping for other things. Lowe’s and Publix are 2 places I have grabbed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter