I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having such card envy lately... hearing you guys talk about the 100k Amex Platinum offer makes me want it, but the AF is insane to me and I would never get my value out of it other than the initial bonus. I mean, I guess that would be a reason to get it, but I just can't see paying $550 for a card at this stage. I don't Uber, don't shop at Saks... buh. Still need to double dip so no reason for the jealousy :rolleyes:

I feel your pain...I'd love a new card/MSR to work on (since our quarterly taxes are $5400 and we have two more) but am pretty much done until Dec when I can drop the what was I thinking card (Amex Delta Gold-it must have been for the 60,000 skypesos!).

Thanks, too for reminding me about the Saks credit-I don't buy anything from there normally but Saks does carry my Supergoop! sunscreen serum which is expensive and DD steals (of course) so I'm happy that the Amex offer will offset one bottle and going through a portal will earn me a bit more. It's the little things that count as "wins" when you don't have an MSR :sad2:

Don't forget to check your Amex Offers list. While not a true "offer", since you are a new uber user, if you pay with your Amex (as long as it shows up on your Amex Offers list; I have it for all 5 of my Amex cards still showing), it's up to $30 off your first ride. Only one use, but from LAX to DL, that should be definitely be at least $30 :) Good way to get $30 off and have some of it go towards your MSR. Check your offers list for the code and apply it BEFORE requesting a ride!

No such luck for me on mine or DH's amex :(

I’m sure I’m missing something on buying Visa gift cards for points. Don’t they all have activation fees that negate the credit card points?

I’m sure I’m missing something on buying Visa gift cards for points. Don’t they all have activation fees that negate the credit card points?

Depends on where you buy them at what card. I do giftcards.com with the CIP. It codes as 3x so on a $500 card I’m getting 1500 URs at least $15. The fee is 8.95 ish with shipping costs but I also go through ebates at get 1% back on MasterCard giftcards.

At the grocery store when using a 5% card it’s even better. A $500 card has a 5.95 fee but 5% is $25.

I’m also using the Amex Staples offers for 10% back. A $300 card is 8.95 but I get $30 back.

It does specifically say "eligible Amex card", but this is the generic link to the offer in case you want to try directly in the Uber App. Doesn't hurt to try! Once you enter your Amex card, the promo should just automatically load into the "promos" tab.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/uber/index.html

Thank you! I just added the promo to my account and put my Amex in. I mean, if worst comes to worst then I just pay for my Uber ride on a card I'm trying to finish MSR on anyways, so it's not the end of the world.

It does specifically say "eligible Amex card", but this is the generic link to the offer in case you want to try directly in the Uber App. Doesn't hurt to try! Once you enter your Amex card, the promo should just automatically load into the "promos" tab.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/uber/index.html

I just tweeted the AskAmex page and they confirmed that the promo card would work with my Hilton Biz, so this will be a great offer for me!! Thanks so much for the tip, that'll help a lot on that expensive Uber ride!

I just tweeted the AskAmex page and they confirmed that the promo card would work with my Hilton Biz, so this will be a great offer for me!! Thanks so much for the tip, that'll help a lot on that expensive Uber ride!

Our UberX ride from the Hyatt House in Anaheim to LAX on an early Sat. morning just two weeks ago came out to be around $68 (and that's including the tip we left for the awesome driver we had), so that promo will def come in handy! Good luck with traffic!

Now I really want this card... wonder how I can make this work.

If the $4k spend is the problem and you've never had a personal AA card, highly recommend the public offer for the AA Plat: 50,000 miles + $200 airline credit for $2,500 spend. Can easily be matched to 65k or 70k miles via SM after adding the card to your online account.

It'll show up via dummy booking on AA.com on the trip summary page.

Depends on where you buy them at what card. I do giftcards.com with the CIP. It codes as 3x so on a $500 card I’m getting 1500 URs at least $15. The fee is 8.95 ish with shipping costs but I also go through ebates at get 1% back on MasterCard giftcards.

At the grocery store when using a 5% card it’s even better. A $500 card has a 5.95 fee but 5% is $25.

I’m also using the Amex Staples offers for 10% back. A $300 card is 8.95 but I get $30 back.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Our UberX ride from the Hyatt House in Anaheim to LAX on an early Sat. morning just two weeks ago came out to be around $68 (and that's including the tip we left for the awesome driver we had), so that promo will def come in handy! Good luck with traffic!

Thanks! That’s about what the online estimator had said. Our flight gets in at 8:30 Sunday morning so I’m hoping traffic won’t be as bad then.

If the $4k spend is the problem and you've never had a personal AA card, highly recommend the public offer for the AA Plat: 50,000 miles + $200 airline credit for $2,500 spend. Can easily be matched to 65k or 70k miles via SM after adding the card to your online account.

It'll show up via dummy booking on AA.com on the trip summary page.

Someone actually just recommended that same offer to me on Reddit! I’m going to do that instead. It seems like there’s a lot of different options for accruing AA miles and that’s one of my options for flying to Japan in 2020, so I’m going to start hitting up all of those options.

You need to search the Chase UR site by Anaheim, CA, USA. Plenty of hotels should appear. I got quite the list when I searched including the Grand California but DLH and Paradise Pier never came up. It ended up being cheaper just to book the Sheraton Park directly though when I recently booked for our upcoming trip.

I think the site was down earlier. Couldn't get anything to come up no matter what I was searching for. Finally got it to work. Now debating if doing Great Wolf Lodge is too much for one trip haha.

I currently have 3 nights at the Sheraton Park booked, but I don't have enough points to book the 4th night. I may just buy the extra points. I've been trying to decide if I want to split my stay, but not sure a 4 night trip makes sense to split.

I did get my Vancouver tickets straightened out after 45 minutes on hold with Chase! It was complicated.

Also, got a targeted Amex offer for three months of Amazon prime for free. Also did the Whole Foods deal where if you spend $10 at WF and use your linked phone number you get a $10 Amazon credit for Prime Day.

Wait, What? I thought the public offer was 60K miles for 3K spend in 3 months. I need 60K so 50K would not be good for me. Off to do a dummy booking to see what that shows me.

Also the AA Biz card says the 70K is for a limited time but doesn't have a date. Uggh I want to wait as long as possible before signing up DH. Any thoughts on how long this might last?

looks like if I pull up Citi I get 60K for 3K spend in 3 months with waived annual fee (99). If I do a dummy booking I get 50K miles, 200 stmt credit for AA purchases and no waiver of annual fee for 2500 MSR in 3 months. For my situation, I think the 60K deal is better. Have to analyze for your own situation.

Hi! I've been quietly following this thread for a while, just starting to churn, and have a question about when I'm able to sign up for the Chase cards again to receive the bonuses. For reference - mostly interested in churning the CSP, Freedom, CFU, and Southwest cards right now. Average spending is about $2,500-$3,000/3 months so MSR for CIP is too much for me - CSP is a stretch but I'll do it; not interested in MS right now. I don't think with my spending/travel that the CSR is better than the CSP for me (very little dining out and basically no travel). The only way I see CSR possibly being better would be if the $300 travel credit applies to travel purchases made with points through the Chase portal (is that possible?).

My main question - I've tried doing some research and I'm still not sure when exactly I can sign up for the same card to receive the signup bonus. For example, approved for CSP 7/11/18, receive bonus 10/15/18 (assume statement close), card cancelled 7/10/19 to avoid AF. When can I reapply for the CSP to get the signup bonus again? Would it be 8/1/20 or 11/1/20 or something else? If I can't get the bonus until 11/1/20, can I open the card on say 9/1/20 and get the bonus on 11/15/20 (so just make sure the MSR hits after 11/1/20)? Is it ok to open the CSP again only about a year after cancelling it?

I'm hoping to use these cards to help offset the costs of going to Disney World every other year - it wouldn't be possible for me to go that frequently without it! And since I've been following for a while - thank you for all the useful info!

A note on the HSBC bank bonus ($350 version - $10k for 90 days, no direct deposit). There were all kinds of horror stories on DoC about how hard it was to get the account set up (lots of stories about codes only being sent by mail, additional identifying info required etc), but it actually went reasonably smoothly for me. They don't communicate well, but I saw the trial deposits in the bank I was funding from, and did a chat to figure out how to complete my app (my app was still listed as pending, but the trial deposits had already happened - seemed odd). So they sent me to the site I needed, and I was able to enter the trial deposit info. Shortly thereafter (like 5 mins) I got a text with a code and an email with another code that I was able to enter together and get my account fully set up - so like 24 hours from application to set up.

Whether I have issues getting the bonus remains to be seen, but the setup wasn't bad. I think you do have to park the money for at least 3 months, and there is something on the DoC website about a $25 penalty if you close it before 180 days, but I couldn't find the penalty provision in any of the screenshots I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter