I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go to the termination line (after finally getting to it in their ridiculous menu system) and telling them you are canceling your service that might wake them up. The final gentleman was definitely trying to keep me as a customer and offered me extra data and to lower my bill by $40 a month (so it would have been $20 a month) but we just got new service with AT & T that is much faster.

Good to know. I may try again. I told them this time that Comcast was coming to my area and I was planning to switch to them (not a total lie as they are coming to THE area, just not to MY house) but they basically said they didn't care.

Thanks to the advice here, I feel like I'm on way!

Pulled my credit report to see what accounts were on there and would count towards the 5/24. Only 1 on mine (amex spg that will off april 2018).
Need to get DH's credit report, but I don't think he has anything newly opened within last 24 months. Possibly an Amazon Visa...but that should be it.

Feel like I'm starting to get a strategy together, but I wanted to ask the professionals before I went on :)
  • For myself: Have already gotten approved for Chase freedom & Chase Ink Business Pref. Will use mine primarily for travel and shipping which are in the 3% cat.
  • DH - haven't done anything yet but this my plan (is it a good one?) - DH is also self employed (diff business than mine). Thinking of applying for the Chase Ink Business Cash Back for him. The 5% categories are pretty good and applicable to us office supply stores and on Internet, cable and phone services. As are the 2% ones. Gas and restaurants. I feel like we could really use this card for those expenses.
  • The reason I'm thinking of doing 2 diff cards is to fully utilize the bonus categories of each.
  • After we've met the spend on the first two, then we'll refer one another.
Questions would be...
  • #1 - The Cash Back cards (Freedom and Ink CB) - we can transfer those to points? At an equivalent ratio?
  • #2 - What about the opposite, if we decide we would prefer cash (or gift cards) instead can we transfer points to Cash back?
  • #3 - I'm pretty sure you can, but can we transfer points back and forth between ourselves. Even though they will be different account holders and a mix of business/personal accounts?
Questions on cards we already have...
  • #1 - SPG Amex. Card is in my name. He is an AU. Can I refer him and he get the sign on bonus (and I referral bonus)?
  • #2 - Disney Visa - We'd had one since 2014. Just cancelled earlier this month, so 9/2017. DH was primary I was an AU. Not sure that I would want this to be one of our 5/24...but would it be a good 6/24? If they're doing a good sign on bonus (the $200 gift card/stmt credit whatever it is). How long do I have to wait to re-sign and be eligible for bonus.
Sorry for so many questions! Appreciate any help I can get :)

Last edited:
Questions would be...
  • #1 - The Cash Back cards (Freedom and Ink CB) - we can transfer those to points? At an equivalent ratio?
  • #2 - What about the opposite, if we decide we would prefer cash (or gift cards) instead can we transfer points to Cash back?
  • #3 - I'm pretty sure you can, but can we transfer points back and forth between ourselves. Even though they will be different account holders and a mix of business/personal accounts?
Questions on cards we already have...
  • #1 - SPG Amex. Card is in my name. He is an AU. Can I refer him and he get the sign on bonus (and I referral bonus)?
  • #2 - Disney Visa - We'd had one since 2014. Just cancelled earlier this month, so 9/2017. DH was primary I was an AU. Not sure that I would want this to be one of our 5/24...but would it be a good 6/24? If they're doing a good sign on bonus (the $200 gift card/stmt credit whatever it is). How long do I have to wait to re-sign and be eligible for bonus.
Sorry for so many questions! Appreciate any help I can get :)

Not an expert around here but I'll try to answer:

On your new cards (or ones you hope to get):
#1 Yes, Freedom and CIC (ink cash) can transfer to your CIP and then redeem at the higher 1.25% rate for travel. All cards points can move around between you and your dh. At least at this point. There is some internet 'chatter' that Chase may restrict the point transfers in the future.
#2 Yes, you can use the CIP points as cash back.
#3 Yes, you can.

Cards you already have:
#1 I don't have a SPG Amex but yes, an AU can get their own card and there should be no reason he cannot use your referral.
#2 Not entirely sure on how long you need to wait to reapply. I'd think at least 60 days. You are eligible every 24 mos for the same bonus again. And that is from when you received the bonus, not when you applied for the card. I think it is a fine choice for 6/24 as long as you are content with the Chase cards you have or are content to wait a bit to be under 5/24 again.

Hopefully that helps some :) Sounds like you are off to a good start!

Last edited:
@kayteekt I think my only hesitation with your plan is not doing the CIP first for your dh. You can always PC it to a CIC which is what I will be doing with my CIP also. In case there is any problem from Chase in approving him for two biz cards, I'd want to have snagged the higher bonus first.

I just read something about only having two American Express cards open at one time. Is that right?!? I think the link I followed was a Canadian website so maybe it was referring to how it works there.

Now DH and I both have the SPG and Delta Platinum and my plan was to open the business Delta Platinum if/when they release a bigger bonus than the current 35,000 miles. I don't want to cancel either one of them but I guess I could. Since we are tied to Delta so much the companion certificate is actually pretty worthwhile to me. Thanks.

I just read something about only having two American Express cards open at one time. Is that right?!? I think the link I followed was a Canadian website so maybe it was referring to how it works there.

Now DH and I both have the SPG and Delta Platinum and my plan was to open the business Delta Platinum if/when they release a bigger bonus than the current 35,000 miles. I don't want to cancel either one of them but I guess I could. Since we are tied to Delta so much the companion certificate is actually pretty worthwhile to me. Thanks.

I think the rule is 4 Amex charge cards and 4 Amex credit cards. This came up recently and I'm pretty sure that was what was posted. I am not sure if the biz cards count in that or not.

I think the rule is 4 Amex charge cards and 4 Amex credit cards. This came up recently and I'm pretty sure that was what was posted. I am not sure if the biz cards count in that or not.

Thanks. Just two sounded kind of wacky to me. Seems like that would be hard for Amex to be competitive.

Thanks. Just two sounded kind of wacky to me. Seems like that would be hard for Amex to be competitive.
The limit is 4 Credit Cards (some people have been able to get 5 by calling in). There is no differentiation between business & personal, all credit cards count.

There is no limit on charge cards. I have 8 currently open.

@kayteekt I think my only hesitation with your plan is not doing the CIP first for your dh. You can always PC it to a CIC which is what I will be doing with my CIP also. In case there is any problem from Chase in approving him for two biz cards, I'd want to have snagged the higher bonus first.

I got lost...what's PC?

I got lost...what's PC?
PC - Product Change - Changing from one credit card to another. You can apply for the CIP, get the signup bonus, and then PC to the CIC. It doesn't require another credit pull or count as an additional credit card to PC.

PC - Product Change - Changing from one credit card to another. You can apply for the CIP, get the signup bonus, and then PC to the CIC. It doesn't require another credit pull or count as an additional credit card to PC.

Oh ok, thanks. That is a good idea. Are you eligible to get the sign on bonus if you do that?

Oh ok, thanks. That is a good idea. Are you eligible to get the sign on bonus if you do that?
You'd get the signup bonus for the first card, but not the card you PC to.

In your case you'd get the CIP bonus, PC to the CIC (no bonus for the PC) - so you end up with the CIC but with the CIP's better signup bonus.

Very interesting. Thanks all for the insight!
I am not an expert on all things, but I can tell you that we funded two BMO Harris checking accounts with $1K each using DH's CSR and both posted as purchases. I know there is a risk of them posting as cash advances, so some people lower their cash advance limits, but I didn't do any of that. I know I came across some blogs that had more specifics, so check that for anything you're considering. Worked great for us and, yes, was way too easy! (and, yes, counted towards minimum spend)

For the banks that allow it, it really is that easy. I opened a Midwest National Bank checking account and while there was no bonus, I was able to charge $2500 to my new CSR that counted as part of my min spend. Has there been a bonus, even better! You would just want to make sure that the cash advance is set as low as possible on the card so any bank coding that way would get denied.

California sucks for bank bonuses... :\ it varies by state. some stuff u can read...
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/
DP on cash advanced or purchase --> https://www.doctorofcredit.com/does...dit-card-count-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance/

keep in mind, some accounts do hard pulls... can affect your credit report.

You'd get the signup bonus for the first card, but not the card you PC to.

In your case you'd get the CIP bonus, PC to the CIC (no bonus for the PC) - so you end up with the CIC but with the CIP's better signup bonus.
To add to this, you don't need to cal to do this. You can message (SM) Chase and ask them to change your current card to desired card. They will usually SM back to confirm and do it the same day.

water heater went out... :\

2500 UR + 70SPG pts! so i guess it wasnt that bad... LOL
my mind has been... really bad lately haha.

We've got over 550,000 chase points - does anyone have any experience using chase points to book "room only" discount rates? I've read it's possible to call and have them book directly from a different inventory than what shows up in their portal but was wondering if anyone has actually done this?

We have CSRs so we get 1.5 cpp

To add to this, you don't need to cal to do this. You can message (SM) Chase and ask them to change your current card to desired card. They will usually SM back to confirm and do it the same day.

I have been wondering about this: DH got CIP in May. I want to downgrade to the CIC. Do we need to wait until next Spring to do so or could we do it now? Any recent experience?

Thanks to the advice here, I feel like I'm on way!

Pulled my credit report to see what accounts were on there and would count towards the 5/24. Only 1 on mine (amex spg that will off april 2018).
Need to get DH's credit report, but I don't think he has anything newly opened within last 24 months. Possibly an Amazon Visa...but that should be it.

Feel like I'm starting to get a strategy together, but I wanted to ask the professionals before I went on :)
  • For myself: Have already gotten approved for Chase freedom & Chase Ink Business Pref. Will use mine primarily for travel and shipping which are in the 3% cat.
  • DH - haven't done anything yet but this my plan (is it a good one?) - DH is also self employed (diff business than mine). Thinking of applying for the Chase Ink Business Cash Back for him. The 5% categories are pretty good and applicable to us office supply stores and on Internet, cable and phone services. As are the 2% ones. Gas and restaurants. I feel like we could really use this card for those expenses.
  • The reason I'm thinking of doing 2 diff cards is to fully utilize the bonus categories of each.
  • After we've met the spend on the first two, then we'll refer one another.

I'd would add that if you and your husband each have "legitimate" businesses, you may want to call into the your local Chase branch(es) and ask to speak to a Business Relationship Manager ("BRM"). Tell the BRM about your interest in applying for the Chase Ink Business Preferred ("CIP") and Chase Ink Business Cash ("CIC") cards and ask whether these cards have any higher in-branch bonuses currently. As you know, the public offer that's available online has the CIP with a 80,000 Ultimate Rewards points bonus and the CIC with a $300 cash back (effectively, 30,000 UR points) bonus.

Occasionally, Chase has in-branch promotions that give higher signup bonuses when you apply for certain cards through a BRM, Chase Private Client, or a Chase banker. Chase had a promotion recently, which I think ended on 8/27, where you could get a 100,000 UR bonus on the CIP if you applied through a BRM. There was some talk that the CIC also had a higher 50,000 UR bonus through a BRM until 8/27, too. I've seen some chatter that these higher in-branch offers may still be ongoing. It's worth a phone call to ask. Even if the in-branch offer is the same as the public offer right now, one reason you might still want to apply with a BRM is if there's a higher in-branch offer that comes around in the next 90 days, you can secure message Chase to be matched to the higher offer and they'll want to see that you applied through a BRM.

If these offers are still ongoing, applying through a BRM for your first CIP will get you 100,000 UR instead of the public offer of 80,000 UR. If your husband applies through a BRM and is approved, he'll also get 100,000 UR for the CIP, but you lose the opportunity to refer him for your own 20,000 UR referral bonus (which would net you effectively the same result anyway: 80,000 UR for DH's CIP and 20,000 UR for your referral vs. 100,000 UR for signing up through a BRM). Similarly for CIC, if the higher signup bonus is still good, then you get 50,000 UR for applying through a BRM, your husband would get 50,000 UR for applying through a BRM, but you wouldn't be able to refer him for a 30,000 UR offer to get a 10,000 UR referral bonus.

I see there are some suggestions that you might want to apply for the CIP first for the much higher signup bonus, then eventually product change to the CIC. This is a common suggestion because the perception is that it's hard to get more than one business card with Chase. But it's that way because a lot of people applying for business cards are applying with a less than formal "business." Since you and your husband seem to have your own legitimate businesses, I wouldn't worry too much about applying for additional business cards. You've got actual businesses that you can show to Chase, and you've already articulated the reasons why you might want to have both CIP and CIC -- aside from the signup bonuses -- very well in just a forum post. If Chase has any issues approving additional business cards for you or your husband, I have no concerns about you getting answering all their questions and getting approved on reconsideration.

Go for both CIP and CIC! Since the CIP and CIC are subject to the 5/24 rule, you have to be under 5/24 to be approved; but since they are business cards, they won't count against your 5/24 slots. Keep in mind that Chase also has a 0/24 rule for business cards -- you can't have made any other credit card applications in the past 30 days to be approved for a CIP or CIC. So when you and your husband get a CIP, wait 31 days before applying for the CIC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter