I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much at @Lain for the very detailed reply. As a newbie, I really appreciate the pointers.

We do each have our own legitimate businesses. No problem there.

Thanks for the tip on the in bank offers. I already applied and got approved (according to the automated line) for the CIP. So i guess it wouldn't make any difference points wise if it's avail. May look into it for the cash back card though. I really don't know if there's a branch anywhere around here, never seen one. About 45min from a "big" city, I'll have to see...

Thanks again!

Thank you so much at @Lain for the very detailed reply. As a newbie, I really appreciate the pointers.

We do each have our own legitimate businesses. No problem there.

Thanks for the tip on the in bank offers. I already applied and got approved (according to the automated line) for the CIP. So i guess it wouldn't make any difference points wise if it's avail. May look into it for the cash back card though. I really don't know if there's a branch anywhere around here, never seen one. About 45min from a "big" city, I'll have to see...

Thanks again!

Congratulations!

A bird in the hand...

Since a Chase branch might be out of your way, just go ahead and refer your husband whenever you're ready. Like I said, the net points are the same via referral vs. an in-branch promotional offer.

I have a math question that has been plaguing me for some time regarding the CSR.

The annual fee, as we all know, is $450
But I always see people say, "Well, it's really only $150 after you figure in the $300 travel credit."

But...don't you have to SPEND $300 to get it reimbursed?

$450 spent on the AF + $300 spent on travel = $750 of my money coming out of my pocket. Chase reimburses me for the $300 I spent on travel, so haven't I still spent $450 above the travel reimbursement?

Or in simpler terms: $450+$300-$300=$450

What am I missing?

I have a math question that has been plaguing me for some time regarding the CSR.

But I always see people say, "Well, it's really only $150 after you figure in the $300 travel credit."

$450 spent on the AF + $300 spent on travel = $750 of my money coming out of my pocket. Chase reimburses me for the $300 I spent on travel, so haven't I still spent $450 above the travel reimbursement?

What am I missing?

let me correct this for u... :]
Or in simpler terms: $450+$300-$300+a trip=$450

What am I missing?

If you were going to spend up to $300 on travel-related expenses (flights, hotels, taxi or rideshare, parking, tolls, etc.) anyway, then it's not another $300 OOP because the reimbursement is in the form of a statement credit that erases those expenses up to $300.

What am I missing?

Yes, but it gets credited back immediately. If you are spending $300 a year in travel expenses anyhow then it gets credited with the CSR. Without the $300 travel credit then I'd be spending $450 to have the card.

For example, I spend about $100 per month in tolls for work which code as "travel" with the CSR. That money is getting spent on tolls whether I have the CSR card or don't have the CSR card.

So, let's say I don't have the CSR card, I will spend $1200 for the year in tolls.

Then, let's say I decide to get the CSR and I use it for nothing except paying tolls. My CSR is $450 and my tolls are still $1200 which is $1650.
However, I am getting a $300 credit on my tolls so $1650 - $300 = $1350. $1350 - $1200 is $150. That's $150 more that I am paying for having the CSR than I was paying before when I didn't have the card. That is why the card is a $150 card for those who spend $300 a year or more in travel related expenses.

Can anyone refresh my memory on Amex offers? I was wanting to use one tonight that expires on 9/30. If the purchase does not post until after 9/30, do I still get the offer? I normally use the offers well before the expiration date to avoid this issue but I drug my feet on this one...

ETA: Found the info I was looking for. I'm afraid I'm cutting it too close. Link to info in case anyone else is interested: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-card-transactions-purchase-date-and-post-date/

Last edited:
Can anyone refresh my memory on Amex offers? I was wanting to use one tonight that expires on 9/30. If the purchase does not post until after 9/30, do I still get the offer? I normally use the offers well before the expiration date to avoid this issue but I drug my feet on this one...

ETA: Found the info I was looking for. I'm afraid I'm cutting it too close. Link to info in case anyone else is interested: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-card-transactions-purchase-date-and-post-date/

In my experience, every time I've used an offer I get an email within minutes that says congratulations for using my Amex offer.

I did. I was at 5/24 with 2 AUs. I was able to get them to remove the AUs to push it through. The Banana Republic will finally come off in 3/18. I will no longer be applying for store credit cards.

Good to know. Unfortunately I applied for this store card 6/2016 and just completely forgot about. Even at that point I had decided no more store cards were even needed. I'm no AU on anyone's card so that should be good for me...

In my experience, every time I've used an offer I get an email within minutes that says congratulations for using my Amex offer.
@wendow I've had the same experience. I don't know if I'd risk it on the 30th, but you've got a couple days.

For some odd reason, I have never received those emails. I read online about others getting them but I don't get them. Maybe I need to go in and check my settings.

On the AMEX offers one time I didn't get the email immediately and realized that I had never added the offer. I quickly got on and added it (so after the purchase). The rebate still posted but that might have been a fluke. I felt lucky I still got it.

Sigh. IDK but I'm still holding out hope on that Amex/Etsy offer I bungled...... it kind of stinks that b/c the merchant went thru Paypal it didn't post right away.

Did anyone else get a strange email from Marriott? I am wondering if I'll still get the football points
Apologies — we weren’t able to award points for your recent post. Here are the most common reasons why this might have happened:

• Your Marriott Rewards account is configured to earn miles instead of points. Please change this in your Marriott Rewards account settings.
  • You have reached the annual maximum of 2,000 points earned through #MRpoints. You can earn points through #MRpoints again starting next year.
  • Your Marriott Rewards account may no longer be active. Please contact Marriott Rewards Customer Care to resolve the issue.

Did anyone else get a strange email from Marriott? I am wondering if I'll still get the football points
Apologies — we weren’t able to award points for your recent post. Here are the most common reasons why this might have happened:

• Your Marriott Rewards account is configured to earn miles instead of points. Please change this in your Marriott Rewards account settings.
  • You have reached the annual maximum of 2,000 points earned through #MRpoints. You can earn points through #MRpoints again starting next year.
  • Your Marriott Rewards account may no longer be active. Please contact Marriott Rewards Customer Care to resolve the issue.

I didn't get that email. The annual limit was supposed to be increased to 45,000 points, so that seems odd to me.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/45k-points-marriott-social-media/

Yes, I received that email today shortly after tweeting.

For those who don't have the CSP or CSR, haven't received a bonus on these cards in the last 24 months, and can double dip the applications for both cards, there's a new DP on Reddit that double dipping does result in both 50k bonuses: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/72zd1j/daily_discussion_thread_september_28_2017/dnmuc50/.

Big loophole around the new one Sapphire and one Sapphire bonus per 24 months rules if you're eligible.

That is wonderful news... I hope they don't close the loophole.

I got it but I still haven't reached 2k points earned. None of my daily tweets have credited since last Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter