• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 questions.... If I have an acct with a sapphire (travel points) card,and My DH has acct with only a freedom (or two) on it- can I STILL transfer his accumulated points into my acct,or does he lose that ability when he has only the freedom cards?I'm asking b/c right now DH has just the CSR and I think he won't be keeping it another year.
Which brings me to 2nd question- under the new chase rules, am I 'grandfathered' in,and allowed to keep both a CSP and a CSR?(which I currently have)
Wait,maybe it's 3 questions...:rotfl: I was considering PC DH's CSR to a FRU,since we don;t have one of those- but question 1 is making me wonder if perhaps I should instead PC DH's CSR to a CSP and then cancel mine, for transferring purposes....I(I'm keeping my CSR) does this make sense? I hate to pay too much in AF yearly between us both, but so far my rewards have FAR outweighed any AF I 'm paying.

I see the Amex SPG Business 35,000 Starpoints offer is back: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/credit-cards/starwood-business-credit-card

• 25,000 points after $6,000 in spend within the first 3 months
  • An Additional 10,000 points after an additional $4,000 in spend within the first 6 months
  • Valid until November 1st, 2017
  • Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product
  • Annual fee of $95 is waived for the first year
  • No foreign transaction fee Boingo internet access for up to four devices
  • Premium in room internet at all SPG hotels
  • Earn 2x points on all SPG purchases
  • Earn 1x points on all other purchases
  • Comes with Sheraton Lounge Access
  • Has reciporcal earning with Marriott/Ritz-Carlton
h/t DoC

This would be a good card to apply for if you're over 5/24 with Chase, or not wanting to waste a 5/24 slot or waiting to get back under 5/24 because it won't count against your recently opened accounts on your personal credit report.

ETA: I'm really considering applying for this offer even though we're still working on meeting MSR on my wife's CIP, and the plan was to keeping putting our big recurring expenses on the CIP through Plastiq for 3x UR while the getting's still good. We don't have too many expenses left that don't already earn some kind of bonus on one of our cards.

Funny you posted this, Lain. I was looking at this card late last night and I saw the potential for 35k points but didn't realize it was an old offer which has returned :) I may go for it also. However, my COL isn't near as high as yours is and I will have trouble spending this much without having my mortgage involved. But for Oct/Nov/Dec, I am using my Arrival+ to pay my mortgage using the Plastiq MC promo (met my min spend on the arrival in 10 days) and already got my points.

I have 2 questions.... If I have an acct with a sapphire (travel points) card,and My DH has acct with only a freedom (or two) on it- can I STILL transfer his accumulated points into my acct,or does he lose that ability when he has only the freedom cards?I'm asking b/c right now DH has just the CSR and I think he won't be keeping it another year.
Which brings me to 2nd question- under the new chase rules, am I 'grandfathered' in,and allowed to keep both a CSP and a CSR?(which I currently have)
Wait,maybe it's 3 questions...:rotfl: I was considering PC DH's CSR to a FRU,since we don;t have one of those- but question 1 is making me wonder if perhaps I should instead PC DH's CSR to a CSP and then cancel mine, for transferring purposes....I(I'm keeping my CSR) does this make sense? I hate to pay too much in AF yearly between us both, but so far my rewards have FAR outweighed any AF I 'm paying.

Even if your dh only has a Freedom, you can move those points to your Sapphire card. Yes, if you currently hold a CSP and CSR, you can keep them both under Chase's new rules. Not sure why you would, though. I have both and one of them is definitely going :)

I just got hit with my $450 CSR AF. My dh has a CSR also. I think we'll cancel mine and keep his. But first, I am going to try to use the travel credit in Dec again. Hoping I get 2/3 of the AF credited back when I cancel after that.

I live in SF = high cost of living = easy to meet high spend organically, sadly...

I wasn't really speaking in terms of meeting the minimum spend, but rather that it is a much worse deal than the Marriott personal card I did a few months ago. I got 105k Marriott rewards points for just $4k spend (with the 5k AU bonus points). Those Marriott points are the equivalent of 34,965 SPG points. Basically the same offer, but for spending $6k less.

I wasn't really speaking in terms of meeting the minimum spend, but rather that it is a much worse deal than the Marriott personal card I did a few months ago. I got 105k Marriott rewards points for just $4k spend (with the 5k AU bonus points). Those Marriott points are the equivalent of 34,965 SPG points. Basically the same offer, but for spending $6k less.

But this offer is not available, right? And it was the personal, or was that the Marriott biz?

But this offer is not available, right? And it was the personal, or was that the Marriott biz?

The offer is no longer available now. I did the personal card, but I believe at the time that the same or a similar offer was on both the personal and the business. Doesn't mean the offer won't come back again though.

The current public offer on the SPG business card on the SPG website is 25k SPG points for 5k spend. So less spend for the initial 25k points. What you are getting from this offer is the ability to get another 10k points for 5k more spend. You really have to ask yourself if spending $5k more is worth the extra 10k points.

I am just saying, I feel like $10k is a lot of spend to get 35k SPG points. If I was personally planning to stay at lots of SPG hotels for work in the next 6 months that would really maximize my spend (2x at SPG and Marriott hotels) and help make meeting that $10k easier, then I would consider it. But using $10k of my own annual spending, earning just 1x SPG point per dollar, doesn't seem like a great deal to me personally since i could be earning more back on that money through Chase UR cards.

Even if your dh only has a Freedom, you can move those points to your Sapphire card. Yes, if you currently hold a CSP and CSR, you can keep them both under Chase's new rules. Not sure why you would, though. I have both and one of them is definitely going :)

I just got hit with my $450 CSR AF. My dh has a CSR also. I think we'll cancel mine and keep his. But first, I am going to try to use the travel credit in Dec again. Hoping I get 2/3 of the AF credited back when I cancel after that.
I think I'm going to cancel DH's (based on our upcoming travel plans) so I can max out mine with the TC

If you have an iPhone, you can use it in Apple Pay for the points. I believe you have to have an iPhone 6 or higher (I have a 6S and just set up my Apple Pay). I wasn't impressed with the list of stores that take Apple Pay, but I think there are more that take it that just aren't listed online. I went into Ulta last night and saw that they use Apple Pay.

My work cafeteria takes Apple Pay, so I used it for the first time this morning to buy a coffee drink with my CSR. Super easy to pay with Apple Pay. And the cafeteria codes as a restaurant for CSR 3x, so I'm very happy to be getting 4x for the next month. I almost always buy my lunch from the cafeteria, and more often than not a coffee too. Not that those are huge amounts, so now I'm on a mission to see who else around town takes Apple Pay.

Just circling back to some posts a while back about filing price protection claims on Chase cards. Thanks so much to the PP who directed me to EClaims Line. I have now filed three claims, and just received notification that my first one has been accepted and I will be receiving a check! All three claims were filed for purchases made with my Freedom Unlimited. Great benefit!

My work cafeteria takes Apple Pay, so I used it for the first time this morning to buy a coffee drink with my CSR. Super easy to pay with Apple Pay. And the cafeteria codes as a restaurant for CSR 3x, so I'm very happy to be getting 4x for the next month. I almost always buy my lunch from the cafeteria, and more often than not a coffee too. Not that those are huge amounts, so now I'm on a mission to see who else around town takes Apple Pay.

maybe they take gift card purchases!? :P

man, i wanted the SPG business, but 10k organic spendings is tough for me. i wonder if i can make it with plastiq though...

The offer is no longer available now. I did the personal card, but I believe at the time that the same or a similar offer was on both the personal and the business. Doesn't mean the offer won't come back again though.

The current public offer on the SPG business card on the SPG website is 25k SPG points for 5k spend. So less spend for the initial 25k points. What you are getting from this offer is the ability to get another 10k points for 5k more spend. You really have to ask yourself if spending $5k more is worth the extra 10k points.

I am just saying, I feel like $10k is a lot of spend to get 35k SPG points. If I was personally planning to stay at lots of SPG hotels for work in the next 6 months that would really maximize my spend (2x at SPG and Marriott hotels) and help make meeting that $10k easier, then I would consider it. But using $10k of my own annual spending, earning just 1x SPG point per dollar, doesn't seem like a great deal to me personally since i could be earning more back on that money through Chase UR cards.

Thanks for your thoughts! I agree. It's so much spend for so little points. I was enticed by it cause I do want to begin accruing SPG points and I am over 5/24 so I am exploring other options. But I think I am going to wait for a better offer and just focus on building my UR back up. I could meet the 10k spend (my mortgage alone is $2100) but it'd take away UR points.

What cards count in the 5/24 and do they count in the 5 or do they look at the current 5 when you apply

@elgerber to add to this, any stores that send level3 data to amex could potentially be disqualied . i know staples is one... i forgot where the list is.
A way to check this is to ask "Chat" on how much is left on your minimum spendings. If your numbers dont add up with them, you may need to spend more elsewhere.
To clarify, I checked with AMEX and the CardCash did count towards my spend. So, now I can buy some more LOL.

What cards count in the 5/24 and do they count in the 5 or do they look at the current 5 when you apply

im unclear what your asking. 5/24 rule applies to any 5 approved credit card applications on whatever credit bureau chase looks at.

cards you shouldnt apply if over 5/24 (will get u a denial)
Chase Freedom Line
Chase Sapphire Line
Chase Ink line
Chase SW line
Chase Marriott Premier
Chase United line

I’m just back from a fantastic week in San Francisco—mostly Oakland, really—and spent next to nothing aside from outrageous restaurant costs thanks to a friend giving us his bedroom, Southwest RR and the Companion Pass, and a great rental car deal using a questionable National code and my Executive status via the CSR (found a Mustang in the Executive Aisle!).

Can someone fill me in on where we stand with the Marriott Twitter rewards? I wasn’t keeping up with things while I was away. Thanks!

Marriott has stopped giving 50 points for tweeting everyday. Last Sunday they also didn’t have the NFL 1000 point promotion. They said they are bringing the NFL promotion back, but I bet they won’t be giving 1000 points.

maybe they take gift card purchases!? :P

man, i wanted the SPG business, but 10k organic spendings is tough for me. i wonder if i can make it with plastiq though...

Thanks for your thoughts! I agree. It's so much spend for so little points. I was enticed by it cause I do want to begin accruing SPG points and I am over 5/24 so I am exploring other options. But I think I am going to wait for a better offer and just focus on building my UR back up. I could meet the 10k spend (my mortgage alone is $2100) but it'd take away UR points.

You know, I almost immediately regretted my earlier post. First, because it came off a bit like humblebrag. Even though we complain about the Bay Area's high cost of living all the time, the one silver lining is it allows us to meet minimum spends organically quite easily. I know not a lot of people have the same problem/upside, and $10k is a lot of money to throw at one card in 6 months to the exclusion of others. Second, because I had a feeling what you meant was the high spend for this bonus compared to previous/other offers. I know the personal SPG had a 35k points offer and the personal Marriott had a (roughly equivalent) 100k points offer, both a few months back with a lower spend. But those offers are no longer available and would've counted against 5/24, so the benefit of applying for the SPG business now is it's available even if you're over 5/24 and doesn't count against 5/24.

I think @wendow and @Albort already voiced their reservations. I'd also have trouble meeting the spending thresholds by just moving my 1x spend to the SPG business. I don't know if I want to move our rent, student loans, daughter's tuition et al. from the CIP to the SPG for 2-3 months, and lose out on ~30k UR as they're currently coding 3x on Plastiq. And who knows if CIP will still be earning 3x through Plastiq when I'm finished with the SPG spend?

Marriott has stopped giving 50 points for tweeting everyday. Last Sunday they also didn’t have the NFL 1000 point promotion. They said they are bringing the NFL promotion back, but I bet they won’t be giving 1000 points.
Discouraging, but thanks!

You know, I almost immediately regretted my earlier post. First, because it came off a bit like humblebrag. Even though we complain about the Bay Area's high cost of living all the time, the one silver lining is it allows us to meet minimum spends organically quite easily. I know not a lot of people have the same problem/upside, and $10k is a lot of money to throw at one card in 6 months to the exclusion of others. Second, because I had a feeling what you meant was the high spend for this bonus compared to previous/other offers. I know the personal SPG had a 35k points offer and the personal Marriott had a (roughly equivalent) 100k points offer, both a few months back with a lower spend. But those offers are no longer available and would've counted against 5/24, so the benefit of applying for the SPG business now is it's available even if you're over 5/24 and doesn't count against 5/24.

I think @wendow and @Albort already voiced their reservations. I'd also have trouble meeting the spending thresholds by just moving my 1x spend to the SPG business. I don't know if I want to move our rent, student loans, daughter's tuition et al. from the CIP to the SPG for 2-3 months, and lose out on ~30k UR as they're currently coding 3x on Plastiq. And who knows if CIP will still be earning 3x through Plastiq when I'm finished with the SPG spend?

and we never know if amex one day decides the plastiq doesnt count towards MSR... :\
PS, all the people who know how to MS say MS sucks in the bay area... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter