I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to get some opinions on cash back cards/cards with some rotating earning categories. I've been looking at Amex Blue Cash Preferred and Amex Everyday card. Really like the 6% back at grocery stores and the $200 statement credit. I currently have CSP and would continue using that for travel and dining (and probably most everyday shopping), but am thinking I would use Amex for groceries and gas. Thoughts? I know there's a Citi card that offers cash back when you buy and when you pay, but as I would likely keep the bulk of my purchases on CSP for points, I'm not sure that card would be worth it for me. Anything other helpful info I should know on Amex cards?

The most important thing about Amex is that normally, it's one bonus per lifetime so if you go for an Amex card make sure you can live with fear of better offer syndrome :) I think if you're okay with cash back, then the Amex Blue Cash Preferred is great. I mean, it's hard to beat 6X rewards on groceries!
I have the Everyday Preferred and a teenager ...so the 30 transactions are nothing for our house :) Also, we use our grocery store's pharmacy so our medications are coded for the grocery bonus earnings which is awesome. Between my daughter's, husband's and mother's AU cards I have the opportunity for lots of double/triple/quadruple earnings as well as Amex offers which are another excellent reason to have an amex (or cough, cough, 4). The only other thing I realized was that the "bonus" points that you earn after 30 transactions for the Everyday Preferred are held until the close of the next month's statement-took a couple of cycles for me to realize that.

I received the same offer. I haven't decided if I'm going to apply. We are going to Europe summer 2019, we already have enough URs to book flights, I want to focus on hotels, which is why I'm not sure this is the right card at the moment.

Does Amex have a booking portal like chase?

I think, for me, since it's a good offer and won't affect my 5/24 status, I will jump on it once I finish up the spend on my dh's new CIP. I am stuck sitting out for Chase cards until mid-2018. I *need* somewhere to put my spend lol.

I actually know nothing about using MR points. I did some beginning research last night and from what I am reading, and what others here have posted, they do not seem to be as valuable as UR. However, they do have some value and I can definitely see finding a use for them.

In your situation, you may have other cards that you are eligible for that would help you reach your travel goals so this card very well may not be worth your time right now.

Like the idea of the Chase Freedom, and that would be nice to keep continuity with CSP for points. I'm just dipping my toe into the waters of the credit card game here, so trying not to get too over my head yet and it seems like this would keep it easy for me. Do you recommend Freedom or Freedom Unlimited? I see 5% back on rotating categories for Freedom, but didn't know if those ended up being actually helpful categories or not.

Ultimately, you will want to have both the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited. The 5x rotating categories are fairly useful. Groceries are usually one...as is gas, restaurants, sometimes wholesale clubs...this quarter is Walmart and dept stores so nice for Christmas shopping. I love my Freedom card really and we use it a lot!

ETA: If you do a lot of Amazon shopping, Amazon was a rotating category for a few years in a row (always 4th Q) and a couple of years ago was actually 10x points.

Yes, you can use your MR on the american express travel site. They are also hotel partners with choice, hilton and spg (although this is a terrible transfer rate wise partner) and several more airlines than chase.

Can someone help me with a strategy for downgrading a CSP? I got mine in Feb when DH for his CSR. We are going to keep the CSR but downgrade the CSP. Do I have to wait until Feb to do this? I believe I have to downgrade to a regular no AF Sapphire card first, then pc that to a Freedom, correct? Really confused over whether or not the Freedoms earn UR's. I didn't think they did. If they do can I transfer those UR's to DH's CSR? Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions but I'm finding conflicting info online.
I was able to downgrade directly from CSP to Freedom Unlimited. The AF hit the CSP then I sent a private message requesting the change. The AF was credited back within a few weeks.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I think I'm going to look into Chase Freedom for now since we are only at 3/24 so I think Chase would currently be my best option. Appreciate the help!

Like the idea of the Chase Freedom, and that would be nice to keep continuity with CSP for points. I'm just dipping my toe into the waters of the credit card game here, so trying not to get too over my head yet and it seems like this would keep it easy for me. Do you recommend Freedom or Freedom Unlimited? I see 5% back on rotating categories for Freedom, but didn't know if those ended up being actually helpful categories or not.

I feel like I've heard so many good things about Amex offers which is why I was initially drawn to that. The number of transactions per month was one of the turnoffs for Everyday for me, since I would just like to use it for specific categories and use my Chase card for everything else.

I have both the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited. I prefer the Freedom since I can usually max out the 5x categories by getting creative. When DH downgraded his CSP after getting the CSR he got a second Freedom card and is able to max out both. I see you know about the 5/24 rule. Just make sure that these cash back cards are really what you want from Chase. There are better offers and bonuses on some of the Chase cards that fall under 5/24. Others, me included, have made the mistake when realizing cash is not King for their plans. Fortunately for me 5/24 didn’t exist and I got my Chase cards with ease. 5/24 doesn’t make it easy to backtrack those realizations anymore.

I received the same offer. I haven't decided if I'm going to apply. We are going to Europe summer 2019, we already have enough URs to book flights, I want to focus on hotels, which is why I'm not sure this is the right card at the moment.

I would highly suggest looking into the Club Carlson card for hotels in Europe. It’s my favorite sock drawer card! The bonus will get you about 100,000 points after the spend and you get good status plus 40,000 points every card anniversary. We’ve redeemed thousands in value for the $75 annual fee. DH and I each have one and it’s a keeper card for us!

Looking for some advice. I jumped into this thinking small, I just wanted some airline tickets and a couple nights at a value resort when my son's marching band plays at Disney in March 2018. That was in April, since then I have gotten CSP, both SW (for CP), and CIP. My flights(3 of us) are booked for Orlando and I booked ASMu with the Disney Visa sale (cheaper that points, but I'll might cash out some UR to pay it off).
Then I started booking some hotels for a trip to Italy to visit DD (studying abroad) in December, already had AA miles for the flight. This is addicting.
Now for the questions. I am trying to decide what card to get next. I'd was thinking cash back like Barclay Arrival+ for park tickets or replacing some AA miles with Barclay Aviator Red. But Swolphin has been calling my name for my March trip so maybe Marriott and CF while I'm under 5/24? My next big plans are going to visit DD during a 2019/2020 study abroad. Also considering Disney 2018 weekend for MVMCP while I have CP.
WWYD?
If you have stayed at Swolphin on points - what other charges will I have?

Thanks for the help, everyone! I think I'm going to look into Chase Freedom for now since we are only at 3/24 so I think Chase would currently be my best option. Appreciate the help!
Just a quick reminder for anybody thinking of signing up for new cards, we have the DISchurners reddit group setup now so you can support fellow DISers who have been particularly helpful to you. Only folks that find us through here can join the group so it's much safer than r/churning, lol! If you want to jump in, just PM me or albort on the DISboards.

Fortunately for me 5/24 didn’t exist and I got my Chase cards with ease. 5/24 doesn’t make it easy to backtrack those realizations anymore.
It's hard to remember this sometimes. I love my freedom and freedom unlimited cards but for somebody new, they aren't always the best option.

Great advice as always calypso!

And to follow up... how long after statement close do the Marriott points show up in your rewards account?

Freedoms do earn UR points. You can try out the whole UR point transfer on Chase's website to see if you can transfer your CSP UR to his CSR UR (are either of you an AU of those cards? I don't know if that makes a difference).

With DH's CSP, I pc'd to no AF Sapphire first for about a week, then pc to Freedom Unlimited (bc he already has the Freedom). [Chase was so fast, they sent me physical regular Sapphire cards before I pc'd to FU.] I did this in the 11th month of him having the CSP.
Thanks. I already know I can transfer my CSP UR's to DH's CSR, I've been doing that monthly. I'm just wondering if I can transfer Freedom UR's to his CSR if I downgrade. And no, we are not AU on each other's cards.

Wanted to get some opinions on cash back cards/cards with some rotating earning categories. I've been looking at Amex Blue Cash Preferred and Amex Everyday card. Really like the 6% back at grocery stores and the $200 statement credit. I currently have CSP and would continue using that for travel and dining (and probably most everyday shopping), but am thinking I would use Amex for groceries and gas. Thoughts? I know there's a Citi card that offers cash back when you buy and when you pay, but as I would likely keep the bulk of my purchases on CSP for points, I'm not sure that card would be worth it for me. Anything other helpful info I should know on Amex cards?
I love my Amex Blue Cash. I don't know if if have the preferred but I didn't think there was any minimum transactions per month to earn cash back?.......Anyway , I charge groceries and gas and buy my Disney Gift Cards at the grocery store to get 6% off on them. That cash back adds up fast. Love it.

Thanks. I already know I can transfer my CSP UR's to DH's CSR, I've been doing that monthly. I'm just wondering if I can transfer Freedom UR's to his CSR if I downgrade. And no, we are not AU on each other's cards.

You can transfer from your Freedom to his CSR. You can transfer all UR points between all household accounts. You do not need to be AU'ers on each others cards.

My dh got his CIP today. We are taking our family to Chuck E Cheese tomorrow for one of our ds's b-day. Is it too weird to use the CIP? I'm anxious to get going on the spend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter