I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I got an offer for the Amex Business Gold...75k MR, $5k spend, $175 af waived for the first year. Didn't someone else mention getting this offer a few days ago? I'm seriously considering it as my intro into the MR point world. I have a few questions...

1) If I understand right, this card will not count against 5/24? I am currently 6/24 and still have Chase cards I want that I need to be under 5/24 to get.

2) What are my options for the MR once I am ready to close this card. This card is not a keeper for me at all and I'd only open it for the MR. I'm going to do some research on how MR work but I am guessing I need a personal card to move them to? Or could I move them to another Biz card? Just thinking about when I am out from under 5/24 and if it is realistic that I can get the Chase cards I want before needing to open another Amex card to have somewhere to park the MR points.

Thanks for any help :) I only have an Amex BCP so not familiar with MR at all.

So, I got an offer for the Amex Business Gold...75k MR, $5k spend, $175 af waived for the first year. Didn't someone else mention getting this offer a few days ago? I'm seriously considering it as my intro into the MR point world. I have a few questions...

1) If I understand right, this card will not count against 5/24? I am currently 6/24 and still have Chase cards I want that I need to be under 5/24 to get.

2) What are my options for the MR once I am ready to close this card. This card is not a keeper for me at all and I'd only open it for the MR. I'm going to do some research on how MR work but I am guessing I need a personal card to move them to? Or could I move them to another Biz card? Just thinking about when I am out from under 5/24 and if it is realistic that I can get the Chase cards I want before needing to open another Amex card to have somewhere to park the MR points.

That is a phenomenal offer for the BGR.

The card does not count as a 5/24 slot - AMEX biz cards don't report on your personal credit report.

You could just keep the MRs active via another business card - I'd just get a business Green card in about 10 months or so. That card offers 5,000MRs after your first purchase. Another card to keep them active would be the Blue4Business which sometimes there are targeted offers for 20k MRs but normally has no public bonus.

Last edited:
Hope you have fun at WDW! We're headed there the weekend before Thanksgiving-we haven't been to the Parks in about 5 years so DD is excited:)
Thanks! Ohh- you'll see lots of the holiday decor then! I'm giddily headed for my 2nd trip but I think I'm most excited about taking my parents & sister on their first WDW trip, everyone is absolutely stoked!

Welcome back! Haven't seen you here in a while.

The 2/30 (or 0/30, 1/30) rule refers to Chase applications only. Chase will likely only approve you for a personal card if you've had no more than 2 Chase applications in the last 30 days, and won't approve you for a Chase business card if you've applied for another Chase card in the last 30 days.

Thanks so much for the clarification! I need to copy and paste this in my notes! One more question:

I own a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Can my husband apply for the CSR? I thought I heard they limited it to one per family. Thanks!!

Thanks so much for the clarification! I need to copy and paste this in my notes! One more question:

I own a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Can my husband apply for the CSR? I thought I heard they limited it to one per family. Thanks!!
The “one per family” initially confused me as well. The “family” they’re referring to is the credit card family - not your family. So you’re limited to one bonus in the Sapphire family per 24 months, but your husband’s eligibility is completely independent of yours.

If your household can meet the combined minimum spend requirement, you might consider having DH apply for both the CSP and CSR at the same time (double dip). This is currently a working loophole around Chase’s one Sapphire rule that’ll let DH get the 50k UR bonuses for both cards. And because you should think of how to fill the 5/24 slots strategically, you might want to wait for your husband to be at 4/24 to use that last slot to double dip.

Maybe others can explain it in more detail. I’m on vacation!

That’s a historical high offer. If you can meet the spend, go for it! MR points can be transferred to a lot of airline partners, and there are occasionally transfer bonuses that stretch the value of those redemptions. While I don’t find MR points to be as versatile as UR, they can be used in some interesting ways. Most recently, Amazon had a promo where if you used MR points (could be just 1 point) to pay towards your order, you get 20% off your purchase of items sold by Amazon, up to $250 in purchases or $50 in value. There’s also a targeted promo that comes around every now and then that gives you $10 or $25 off (or whatever amount) if you switch your payment method to an MR earning Amex card. Generally, you don’t want to use MR points for Amazon purchases — it’s a terrible redemption rate — but these promos are basically free money if you have a MR earning card.

Amex MR cards are not like Chase UR cards. You don’t “transfer” your points to another card. All your MR points pool to your account, and you just need one MR card to keep the points alive. So sometime in the next year, before you cancel the Biz Gold, get another MR card and those points earned should be fine.

Last edited:
I have a flight question for all of you experts! I am pricing fares for a EWR - LAX, LAS - EWR for a two week trip end of August (family of 4) . I am getting a fares on United ranging between $3200 (premium economy) - $4200 (Business class).

My question: does anyone think these fares will go down? I am celebrating a birthday and want to go in style. However, due to my ignorance I have failed to save the miles for even one business ticket! I'm wondering if I should jump on the fares now, or wait and try to rack up the United miles through credit cards.

Thanks so much for your help!

I was going to have my husband apply for the CSR but it looks like CSP would be a better bet - same bonus and only $95 fee, but waived after the first year. I already have a CSP. Thoughts on this? The CSR $495 per year scares me.

Thanks!

I have a flight question for all of you experts! I am pricing fares for a EWR - LAX, LAS - EWR for a two week trip end of August (family of 4) . I am getting a fares on United ranging between $3200 (premium economy) - $4200 (Business class).

My question: does anyone think these fares will go down? I am celebrating a birthday and want to go in style. However, due to my ignorance I have failed to save the miles for even one business ticket! I'm wondering if I should jump on the fares now, or wait and try to rack up the United miles through credit cards.

Thanks so much for your help!

https://www.hopper.com/

I was going to have my husband apply for the CSR but it looks like CSP would be a better bet - same bonus and only $95 fee, but waived after the first year. I already have a CSP. Thoughts on this? The CSR $495 per year scares me.

Thanks!

you have to look at it as a whole thing. CSR gives u $100 Global Entry credit, Priority pass, a better trip delay insurance(half the time) and a $300 travel credit. You also earn 33% more than on travel, dining etc. redemption is also 25% more on travel portal. In the first year, u usually come out on top.

Last edited:
you have to look at it as a whole thing. CSR gives u $100 Global Entry credit, Priority pass, a better trip delay insurance(half the time) and a $300 travel credit. You also earn 33% more than on travel, dining etc. redemption is also 25% more on travel portal. In the first year, u usually come out on top.

Also, @mefordis, the AF is $450, not $495. :)

@mefordis This is the math I did for CSR vs CSP for deciding for my husband (I already had CSR).

I just recently did calculations between CSR and CSP for myself. I ended up going with the CSR for him. Since they're both $4k spend for 50k points, you end up with 54k points after at a minimum, more if you spend some of that on dining and travel. At 54k points, the CSR net cost is $15 more than the CSP.

CSR = $810 value for 54k points + $300 travel credit - $450 AF = $660
CSP = $675 value for 54k points + AF waived first year = $675

I figured for the first year we'd make that $15 up and more with the CSR points being 3x. I was also scared of the AF :) After the first year, you could change it to CSP if you don't feel you spend enough on travel/dining to make the fee worth it with no bonus.

@mefordis This is the math I did for CSR vs CSP for deciding for my husband (I already had CSR).
Thanks so much! With the CSR (if we get it for dh) I would need an extra card for myself since i"m the one who is out spending most of the money. That's another $95.

Also, can we bring our two kids into the lounges with our Priority Pass? If we have two cards I guess we'll each get to bring in one at the very least.

Thanks! :)

Thanks so much! With the CSR (if we get it for dh) I would need an extra card for myself since i"m the one who is out spending most of the money. That's another $95.

Also, can we bring our two kids into the lounges with our Priority Pass? If we have two cards I guess we'll each get to bring in one at the very least.

I think the AF to add an AU'er to the CSR is $75 unless that changed and it may have.

We are keeping my dh's CSR. I never thought we'd keep this card but with the redemption of points being so much higher and combined with the $300 travel credit, the difference in AF's from the CSP and CSR is only $150, and the redemption difference covers that difference for us. Your situation may be different if you do not redeem points through the UR site and instead transfer to partners or you aren't redeeming often.

Yes, as long as their is space, you can take your dc into the lounge. I'm pretty sure you can all get in on your dh's card but that really is up to the individual lounge.

$75.

as for Priority Pass, it varies by lounge. Some also dont allow children under a certain age. Some only allow cardholder+2 people. You would need to check the priority pass app for the instructions.

There's some lounges that are actually restaurants. They give u like a $30 credit. I think one airport has a pod room for you to sleep a couple hours in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter