I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who wants to know how you only spend $1500 annually for groceries? I guess it depends on how many you are buying for, but we are at $9000 annually for a family of 5.
Family of 4 here...our average annual grocery expense over the past 4 years is $3,159.75 per year. My wife shops at Aldi, we hit a lot of sales. We were also extreme couponers back in 2013 until local policies really shut that down. That year we were at $1,565.77 for a family of 3 :)

We're big on the FIRE movement (Financial Independence/Retire Early) so keeping costs low is a focus for us. Obviously eating out a lot can keep your grocery bill low but your restaurant bill high - we also managed to average just $618 in restaurant spending over the past 4 years. I can definitely see where others would spend more but we're pretty proud of feeding our family for under $3,800 a year. BUT if somebody else likes to spend a little more money on food (both at home and out) I don't judge, everybody can choose to spend those dollars as they want :)

Sorry to get everyone all off topic about groceries. :rotfl2:

We are a family of four, but with a few young kids (one who I feel like is already eating us out of the house...I can't imagine what teenagers are like!!!) We suffer from a lot of eating intolerances so our grocery shopping almost never includes anything from the aisles, which helps keep certain costs down. I am really good at researching deals, and most of the time, don't buy any extras. However, we buy certain high priced items in bulk to also reduce costs.

My grocery number only includes food and not household or pet items.

Thanks for all of the suggestions on an "everyday" card. While I would love to be chasing a lot of bonuses, I am not ready to be applying for lots of new cards yet. We may or may not need to obtain a new mortgage or car loan in a few years and don't want this "hobby" to negatively impact that uncertainty.

For me, I spend way more than $1500, but I wouldn't be able to use a grocery card bonus, because 98% of my groceries come from Target. I get 5% off everything with my redcard and it wouldn't code as groceries anyway.

Well, I'm trying to apply for Marriott Biz... however once I fill in all the information and hit submit, a screen very briefly flashes up saying something about "verifying information" but disappears so quickly I can't read it, and then doesn't change away from that page again. I tried hitting submit again and it did the same thing. Any ideas? I can still go back to other portions of my application and the submit button just doesn't seem to do anything. Haven't received any emails or anything.

Family of 4 here...our average annual grocery expense over the past 4 years is $3,159.75 per year. My wife shops at Aldi, we hit a lot of sales. We were also extreme couponers back in 2013 until local policies really shut that down. That year we were at $1,565.77 for a family of 3 :)

We're big on the FIRE movement (Financial Independence/Retire Early) so keeping costs low is a focus for us. Obviously eating out a lot can keep your grocery bill low but your restaurant bill high - we also managed to average just $618 in restaurant spending over the past 4 years. I can definitely see where others would spend more but we're pretty proud of feeding our family for under $3,800 a year. BUT if somebody else likes to spend a little more money on food (both at home and out) I don't judge, everybody can choose to spend those dollars as they want :)

Thats incredible! Wish I'd heard of FIRE when I was younger (better late than never I guess).

Oh man, all this talk of the new offers makes me want another card, ha! I am 3/24. Just got my companion pass (woohoo!) with Southwest personal and biz cards. Also have the CIP and SPG personal which I'm working on spend for. Want to save my 5/24 spot for the CSP/CSR double dip. Is it unlikely I would get Marriott biz since I have 2 biz cards already? I could start getting DH into the game. He's only 1/24 and new to credit cards in general so it can't be a card that is hard to get.

Also, I am jealous of all of you who spend so little on groceries! I must admit I am not a bargain grocery shopper. 4 of us at home and easily spend $6,000. We eat out pretty regularly too! Has me thinking I need to adjust my shopping habits! I'm only getting 2% back as well using my Disney Premier, ouch! So funny how this thread has changed my perspective on things. I thought I was doing so well before with 2%, lol.

Am I the only one who wants to know how you only spend $1500 annually for groceries? I guess it depends on how many you are buying for, but we are at $9000 annually for a family of 5.

I was wondering about this also. I have the Amex card with the 6% back at grocery stores. When i looked at my transactions
i actually used it more for gift cards. Almost every place that takes money takes a gift card. Lot of groceries items i can get
at Walmart Aldi and even Costco. I also have a store near me that takes no credit cards at all and their stuff is consistently
cheaper than a name brand grocery store.

Also, I am jealous of all of you who spend so little on groceries! I must admit I am not a bargain grocery shopper. 4 of us at home and easily spend $6,000. We eat out pretty regularly too! Has me thinking I need to adjust my shopping habits! I'm only getting 2% back as well using my Disney Premier, ouch! So funny how this thread has changed my perspective on things. I thought I was doing so well before with 2%, lol.

Me too! I remember years and years ago when I only carried the Freedom, SW and Disney Premier, I felt like such a boss pulling it out at the grocery store earning my big 2% :rotfl2:

Oh man, all this talk of the new offers makes me want another card, ha! I am 3/24. Just got my companion pass (woohoo!) with Southwest personal and biz cards. Also have the CIP and SPG personal which I'm working on spend for. Want to save my 5/24 spot for the CSP/CSR double dip. Is it unlikely I would get Marriott biz since I have 2 biz cards already? I could start getting DH into the game. He's only 1/24 and new to credit cards in general so it can't be a card that is hard to get.

I got that Amex grocery card because there is no way i would hit 6K from a grocery store. Family of 4 here. I got it more to use if i need
gift cards also. I'm sure i spend around 5k but when i say groceries that includes all my cleaning supplies medicine etc. So that means hitting other "non grocery" stores like Costco Sam's club heck even 99cents store.

We definitely spend the 6k (or close to it) a year on groceries. And that doesn't include Costco or Sam's. I use WM for groceries more than I used to and that is a habit I need to kick since it's not really saving me any money. I find WM prices to be inline with the grocery store but our Target is higher, even with 5% off. Our area has a lot of good chains and stores though so I think competition is fierce. Nothing like an Aldi though.

Well, I'm trying to apply for Marriott Biz... however once I fill in all the information and hit submit, a screen very briefly flashes up saying something about "verifying information" but disappears so quickly I can't read it, and then doesn't change away from that page again. I tried hitting submit again and it did the same thing. Any ideas? I can still go back to other portions of my application and the submit button just doesn't seem to do anything. Haven't received any emails or anything.

Disregard- application finally went through. 30 day notice. Call in? Last time I get this with Chase Freedom it was just for identity verification. Is there an automated number to call?

we are 4 (plus guests) and spend 650 per month min. on groceries.... maybe we eat a lot lol (I am kind of a health food nut so maybe that's it)I'm concerned about hitting that 6k ceiling too fast between actual food and gc purchases this year....

This as my concern getting the card. I have one daughter who eats completely organic and i find Costco helps. A regular grocery
store doesn't carry a lot of particular brands I use like almond butter ..protein powder..coconut oil almond flour etc. Certain staples
it is easier to order online. Thank goodness Amex includes gift cards as groceries or i would never have gotten the card. Just the
other day my husband was taking my nephew to dave and busters. I ran in the store to get a gift card for him to use. lol I also just
paid for my Netflix for the year with a gift card i bought.

We definitely spend the 6k (or close to it) a year on groceries. And that doesn't include Costco or Sam's. I use WM for groceries more than I used to and that is a habit I need to kick since it's not really saving me any money. I find WM prices to be inline with the grocery store but our Target is higher, even with 5% off. Our area has a lot of good chains and stores though so I think competition is fierce. Nothing like an Aldi though.

Target is such a hit and miss. Some things i find on par but many are not. I look for sales from them. It would be nice if
they were the same pricewise for their grocery items.

Sorry I got everyone off track with the groceries, but wow, these grocery numbers befuddle me. lol I think I am pretty frugal, i shop sales and coupon, though not excessively. I will say my numbers are going by the end of the year statements for my CCs so include Grocery and drug stores. So my walmart spending is in there (household products) but no food I bought from Sams or Target is included. I would have no idea what food alone is taking out household products. We really do not go out to eat often, I really dislike going out to eat, but we are averaging $6500/year for that. At least $1600 of last years was during our 2 main vacations ($1200 for 2 weeks out west and $400 for 3 days at Universal) so I can't imagine how you could spend less than $700 and still vacation? Plus having kids in sports, that average 2 hours away, one way, we just have to eat out on those days. I think the number will go down this year as I am down to 1 kid in sports.

Welcome!
Lain just posted a great write up on paying bills through plastique to help hit the min spends quickly. Read through that info. I am new to it myself.

I’d probably go csr/csp because you can book thru their portal for 1.5x points with the csr OR you can transfer to many airlines if it works out better that way. It takes some price comparison.

Congrats on the SW biz. You are halfway to a companion pass!

Yes really excited about the CP from
Southwest! I am hoping that we have it by March/April!

I do have $600 a week of daycare to charge. I can’t believe I “wasted” 4 years of paying daycare with my debtcard as they do accept payment by cc as well‍♀️.
I guess better late than never. After daycare payment I will only less than 1 K to spend so I should be able to make no problem!

Disregard- application finally went through. 30 day notice. Call in? Last time I get this with Chase Freedom it was just for identity verification. Is there an automated number to call?

General rule is DON’T call in for business card applications unless you’re prepared to discuss your business. 30 days is typical for business cards. It means Chase hasn’t had time to process your application yet. Just let it ride and check the automated status line at 1-800-432-3117 to check for approval or any changes to the status of your application.

General rule is DON’T call in for business card applications unless you’re prepared to discuss your business. 30 days is typical for business cards. It means Chase hasn’t had time to process your application yet. Just let it ride and check the automated status line at 1-800-432-3117 to check for approval or any changes to the status of your application.

Thanks so much for this. I just took the plunge this morning and applied for the Marriott biz and got the 30-day message. It's my first biz application, so I wasn't sure how to handle. I'll just sit tight. I'm in no rush. I just need the points for a ressie I made for Nov.

Thanks so much for this. I just took the plunge this morning and applied for the Marriott biz and got the 30-day message. It's my first biz application, so I wasn't sure how to handle. I'll just sit tight. I'm in no rush. I just need the points for a ressie I made for Nov.
It seems like most of us get the 30-day message from Chase on business cards. I bet you'll be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter