I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH and I both used Chase Pay for the first time yesterday (Kohls and Trader Joe's) Charges haven't posted so hopefully got my 5x. I showed DH how to do it and afterwards said, ok now you know what to look for and how to do it. DH replied how do you know if they take it. I said, the symbol on the card reader. His reply, what symbol, I was so busy looking at my phone I didn't notice anything. :sad2:
what symbol? TJ's takes chasepay?

Morning guys, it's my Disney day! We fly this afternoon. :)

Now here's a really stupid problem. I have a zillion Priority Pass cards. I pitched the ones that came with DH's Citi Prestige since we canceled that card weeks ago. I have memberships from my Amex Plat and Amex Surpass. The plat is a free entry for me. Surpass isn't... so how can I tell which membership card goes with which account?

We'll call this stupid churning. I'm usually more organized than this!

make sure you label and use the correct one. I think the CSR one is so far the best one out there due to unlimited guest. I have read a lot of mistake stories where they thought they used the CSR one, then find $50 per person charged to their CC because other PP cards only allow up to 2-3 people. Most people will label their cards. Its got something to do with the numbers at the beginning.

many places take apple pay. You need to find the NFC symbol in stores. It will either be on the actual machine, if not, once the cashier hits the customer is paying now button, the NFC symbol should appear. Also, it might be worth investing in a Samsung phone. I was told those phone will work on ANY register. I have yet to try this but the thought of getting a Samsung S6 or newer is on my mind.
BAeWlhqmgq1NXPXOSokx5x4LHcxfW0IqOSZITww2YbT4k0Wlp-xvvifqsJO6L-IRt2s9dlmF_8EB8P2BTXMIlJ8MYr4oHwlbc1AA1Iz1NqFQEjBD_wQmPPWsNeZAY3aX6w

Dont count on the cashier to know that you can do this. I had few experiance where ive asked, they told me no, they dont take apple pay, then i see the symbol pop up and i use apple pay very easily. used apple pay via my apple watch on my trip to vegas at a coffee shop. The lady was like ":O I DIDNT KNOW YOU CAN DO THAT!" she was in her 20s... lol Happy Hunting for those NFC symbols! :D

edits: spelling, word changes, and adding more.

FYI for those with the Amex Starbucks offer. I just used my Amex to reload $35 on my Starbucks account through the SB app, and I received an email from Amex thanking me for using my offer. It does say the following: "You will have successfully redeemed the offer if your purchase meets the offer terms." However, the offer terms specifically reference app reloads: "Valid in-store at stand-alone Starbucks locations and for app reloads." I do not interpret that to mean that the app reload has to happen in a store, but I will report back once I see whether it actually worked.

Just confirming I received my $5 statement credit on the Amex Starbucks offer for an app re-load (not in store).

Symbol as posted by @Albort above. The cashier at TJs did know. She was very nice. DH couldn't get it to work at first, and she hit a couple buttons on the register, bam, done. She said "It wasn't you, it was me, I was distracted". She was busy chatting up DS who was in a bit of a mood because he just wanted to go home & watch NHL Allstar game.

ETA. I used Apple Pay, not Chase Pay. Sorry for confusion.

Last edited:
Symbol as posted by @Albort above. The cashier at TJs did know. She was very nice. DH couldn't get it to work at first, and she hit a couple buttons on the register, bam, done. She said "It wasn't you, it was me, I was distracted". She was busy chatting up DS who was in a bit of a mood because he just wanted to go home & watch NHL Allstar game.
Oops, comment deleted. I had TJ Maxx on the brain not Trader Joe’s.

For ones who have booked hotel stays off the Chase portal have there been issues with it such as the room was never actually booked? I've been reading that people have had these issues with them and they say they will never book this way again.

I have booked a hotel through the portal and got a confirmation from Chase. I thought that would be enough. So I did recently contact the hotel by way of email (waiting for a response ) for a confirmation or something from them. But just wondering has anyone heard of or had these isssues?

I've booked couple times through the Chase portal and had no problems. I did not confirm with the hotel. My aunt has used the portal several times for booking hotels and I know she's had no issues either.

But does the symbol mean they take any pay, like chase, android, apple etc or just certain ones?

Wondering if anyone here can give me some advice on the beat way to save for a Disney Cruise. My goal is a minimum of $10K by 2020. I would like to use the onboard credit and 10% back via Costco. I have airline miles covered. I do have some UR points (will be about 200K left), but don’t think that is a good use because I want to get the onboard booking credits and the Costco credit.

My current thought is I will open a Schwab account, get an Amex Schwab Platinum, and start churning Amex cards and converting to my Schwab acct at 1.25 cents per MR (thank you to our Reddit group for the awesome idea).

Are there any other methods I am missing? Between my husband and I, I think we can net around $5K this year through the Amex MR churning cards (assuming approval). I plan to churn some bank accounts to supplement this.

I would love any insight or advice.

[QUOTE=" Also, it might be worth investing in a Samsung phone. I was told those phone will work on ANY register. I have yet to try this but the thought of getting a Samsung S6 or newer is on my mind. [/QUOTE]

Samsung Pay will not work on ANY register, but it does work on a lot more than Apple Pay, even when the NFC symbol is not there. I use Samsung Pay and love the convenience. And if it were not for Chase Freedom offering 5x this quarter, I never would have started using it. Now I use it all the time.

Here is an article outlining the difference between Apply Pay, Samsung Pay and Android/Google Pay:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/mobile-wallet-guide,news-20666.html

Of the mobile wallets available, I have only used Samsung Pay and plan to continue using it.

got 30 days on the 120k marriott card. Just called automated line to find i got approved!
Cant wait for 120k marriott points coming in! :D

Make that two of us this am. I just called and got the approved message, but I went for the 75K + no annual fee :bounce:

Gave the 120K some thought, but we are in 2P mode, so have to manage the spend since we have a few more slots to go between personal and Biz (DH might do the 75K + no fee on this own as well) and already working on SPG Biz :-)

But does the symbol mean they take any pay, like chase, android, apple etc or just certain ones?
Honestly I'm not entirely sure why one would use Chase Pay when Apple or Android pay will work. I loaded my Chase cards into Apple wallet & used that. The Chase Pay app gives you a QR code for the cashier to scan (like for Starbucks app, if you've used that). Apple Wallet seems easier, just touch the terminal (or get very close) and go. I have the Chase Pay app but haven't gotten it to work.

Honestly I'm not entirely sure why one would use Chase Pay when Apple or Android pay will work. I loaded my Chase cards into Apple wallet & used that. The Chase Pay app gives you a QR code for the cashier to scan (like for Starbucks app, if you've used that). Apple Wallet seems easier, just touch the terminal (or get very close) and go. I have the Chase Pay app but haven't gotten it to work.

only reason to use chase pay is when they give u a 10x promo... :]

But the current promo also includes Apple Pay & Android Pay, doesn't it?

You’re mixing up promos. This quarter’s Freedom 5x UR category includes mobile wallets like Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay, and Chase Pay. Chase Pay has a separate 10x UR promo at Best Buy for Freedom, FU, CSP and CSR cards until 2/4/18, although it also overlaps with the Freedom’s 5x bonus.

Cross posting since this applies to those who also have a Amex BCP and a Giant Foods in their area. If you use digital coupons at Giant, I have one under my profile for the following:

SAVE $20.00
Grocery Purchase

on your grocery purchase when you buy $100 or more in Best Buy® Gift Cards ($20 minimum grocery spend required)

Combined with the 6% back on Amex BCP, not bad.

I'd rather pull a card out than use my phone. There's only 1 app I use to pay and.that's because I earn rewards paying through it. Regional fast food.chain
I could pay with my starbucks app bit its easier to slide my card most places because.they are writing on the cup etc.

I'll only use.chase pay or eventually set up android pay if there's extra points for it. Going to BB tomorrow to use my csr that way. I guess I'll just do it per the offers since the symbol doesn't help anyway.

If.the gas pumps would take chase or android pay that would get me to adopt it more but not stores.

Updates on me: I received both bonuses on my and DH's jetblue cards (family pooling). Currently have 125,000 true blue points after meeting MSR. Waiting for spring break of 2019 dates to open so I can book RT PHL to LGB for my family of 4. We plan to spend 8 nights in California, flying into Long Beach, then 1 night in LA (will likely use my ihg free night cert at Intercontinental Los Angeles Downtown). Then two nights in Anaheim at the Hyatt Place using UR transferred from Chase, then 3 nights in San Diego (Hyatt free night cert plus 2 nights at Hyatt Mission Bay). Last night in Long Beach before we fly out. The biggest out of pocket should be the rental car, food and Disneyland Tickets.

Was able to use the ihg POINTBREAKS today. I was able to use the rest of my ihg points to book two rooms at the Holiday Inn Express in Downtown Calgary for 15,000 ihg points each. The points rooms only fit 2 people so me and DH plan to split up-one with each kid. This hotel is only 3 minutes by car from the bus we are taking to Lake Louise and Banff. Using 2 free night certs and suite and room upgrades to stay at the Chateau Lake Louise over Easter/Spring break. Paying cash for the Rimrock resort in Banff. Using the remaining 60,000 ihg points at the Palazzo in Vegas next week.

All in all, very pleased with churning. Thanks everyone!

You’re mixing up promos. This quarter’s Freedom 5x UR category includes mobile wallets like Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay, and Chase Pay. Chase Pay has a separate 10x UR promo at Best Buy for Freedom, FU, CSP and CSR cards until 2/4/18, although it also overlaps with the Freedom’s 5x bonus.
I assumed the Best Buy Promo was Chase Pay or Apple Pay, etc. Didnt read the promo closely since I won't be using it.

I'd rather pull a card out than use my phone. There's only 1 app I use to pay and.that's because I earn rewards paying through it. Regional fast food.chain
I could pay with my starbucks app bit its easier to slide my card most places because.they are writing on the cup etc.

I'll only use.chase pay or eventually set up android pay if there's extra points for it. Going to BB tomorrow to use my csr that way. I guess I'll just do it per the offers since the symbol doesn't help anyway.

If.the gas pumps would take chase or android pay that would get me to adopt it more but not stores.
Some gas pumps near us have the NFC symbol, including Costco, however, I haven't tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter