I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is so much to read on here wow!! but I have a question which card would work best for a $4000 balance transfer? there are so many out there now TIA

Like @calypso726 said - never carry a balance - it kills your rewards. So to answer you question, here's a list of cards with no balance transfer fees and 0 APR - the first card that came to my mind was Chase Slate (I helped a friend get this card once for a debt snowball issue) and it does make the list here: http://www.wisebread.com/5-best-credit-cards-with-no-balance-transfer-fees

I am not aware of any card or bank that offers points for a balance transfer. The fees incurred on carrying balances will negate the value of any points earned. I say the following gently and with only the best intentions for your success in travel hacking and card churning journey ... the number one rule when it comes to this hobby is to never carry a balance and always pay in full :flower3: Now, with that said the first order of business to begin would be to pay off all credit card debt or other debt aside of mortgage and car loans that are incurring high interest. There are a number of 0% balance transfer cards out there and you may have an existing card that is offering 0% for x number of months for a 3% - 5% balance transfer fee. The Citi Simplicity card has a 3% BT fee for 0% on the BT for 18 months. If the fee is much lower than the interest you are currently paying on the balance then go for it. Once you've got you balance paid down, we will all cheer you here :cheer2: :grouphug: and then be delighted to help you with your travel hacking goals :teacher: :genie: :beach: :car: :sail: :hourglass

I make no apologies for my emoji love! :banana:

Thank you so much for your advice, I am trying hard to get rid of this debt I did just get an offer from the Citi Double cash with the same rates as you posted above and I will take your advice and transfer this Balance, Thank you :)

question re apps.... if I wanted to get the spg biz + discover it...would this be one of those situations where applying for both within minutes of each other would be smart (one hard pull?) or no difference b/c diff companies?

Like @calypso726 said - never carry a balance - it kills your rewards. So to answer you question, here's a list of cards with no balance transfer fees and 0 APR - the first card that came to my mind was Chase Slate (I helped a friend get this card once for a debt snowball issue) and it does make the list here: http://www.wisebread.com/5-best-credit-cards-with-no-balance-transfer-fees

Thank you so much! I will check it out can't wait to get out of this Debt that has also snowballed :)

I bought my first MO!! It was with the discover debit card. I used this as a test run to see how the process works. My local grocery store didn’t ask for ID or to see the card. Also, I will see if I get the 1% back even though the terms say no money order. I don’t think they are getting level 3 data though. If it gives me the cash back I’ll let you guys know. It could be an easy $24 a month. Next step to figure out which gift cards work at my grocery store.

question re apps.... if I wanted to get the spg biz + discover it...would this be one of those situations where applying for both within minutes of each other would be smart (one hard pull?) or no difference b/c diff companies?
When was your last Amex? I got the Delta Gold in Oct, my first Amex and they hard pulled, got the SPG Biz and no hard pull. No one really knows why or the timing, some people can go 6 months without a HP and others get a hardpull for their second card.

So about this Bank of America cash back reward credit card. It seems like a good card with 3% on gas and 2% on grocery daily. Does anyone have this card and if so what the con and any pro I might missed?

We are at WDW now. We ventured off property at lunch time. Bad news was we ate at a restaurant and neither My husband or I had our Reserve. It was unplanned to go out for lunch, only card I had was Freedom. Stupid $70 bill at restaurant and had to use Freedom. Good news was though we checked out the Disney Character Outlet in Vineland for the first time. Spent an unbudgeted $100 but got a lot of fun deals and was able to use apple wallet! I couldn’t get it to work at first but for 5 times rewards I kept trying!

So about this Bank of America cash back reward credit card. It seems like a good card with 3% on gas and 2% on grocery daily. Does anyone have this card and if so what the con and any pro I might missed?

We have a BOA card with the same bonus. It's an easy cash back card with only two categories so it's not that complicated to have it in your wallet and always remember to use it on grocery or gas. There might be better rewards out there for the two with the rotating category cards (Discover IT or Chase Freedom), but for someone who needs a start with card bonuses or has a hard time remember which card to use when this one is easy.

We have a BOA card with the same bonus. It's an easy cash back card with only two categories so it's not that complicated to have it in your wallet and always remember to use it on grocery or gas. There might be better rewards out there for the two with the rotating category cards (Discover IT or Chase Freedom), but for someone who needs a start with card bonuses or has a hard time remember which card to use when this one is easy.
I have the Freedom already so you would recommend the Discover It over the Bank of America?

I am not aware of any card or bank that offers points for a balance transfer. The fees incurred on carrying balances will negate the value of any points earned. I say the following gently and with only the best intentions for your success in travel hacking and card churning journey ... the number one rule when it comes to this hobby is to never carry a balance and always pay in full :flower3: Now, with that said the first order of business to begin would be to pay off all credit card debt or other debt aside of mortgage and car loans that are incurring high interest. There are a number of 0% balance transfer cards out there and you may have an existing card that is offering 0% for x number of months for a 3% - 5% balance transfer fee. The Citi Simplicity card has a 3% BT fee for 0% on the BT for 18 months. If the fee is much lower than the interest you are currently paying on the balance then go for it. Once you've got you balance paid down, we will all cheer you here :cheer2: :grouphug: and then be delighted to help you with your travel hacking goals :teacher: :genie: :beach: :car: :sail: :hourglass

I make no apologies for my emoji love! :banana:

I wish there was a second “like” for the emojis alone.

There is so much to read on here wow!! but I have a question which card would work best for a $4000 balance transfer? there are so many out there now TIA

Thank you so much for your advice, I am trying hard to get rid of this debt I did just get an offer from the Citi Double cash with the same rates as you posted above and I will take your advice and transfer this Balance, Thank you :)

Definitely consider the Chase Slate which is also listed in the link @GlamMistress posted. If balance is transferred within the first 60 days, there’s no fee and 0% interest for the stated period. In addition, the Chase slate is now eligible for Chase offers which you may or may not find useful after you pay off your balance. Just don’t use the card for Chase offer purchases yet unless purchases are also 0% for the intro period. They work just like Amex offers and sometimes can save you a bit of money at places like Whole Foods, Lowe’s, etc. Depends on what shows up for you.

When was your last Amex? I got the Delta Gold in Oct, my first Amex and they hard pulled, got the SPG Biz and no hard pull. No one really knows why or the timing, some people can go 6 months without a HP and others get a hardpull for their second card.

When I applied for the SPG Biz, there was no hard pull for me either, but I’ve been AMEX custy for a while. No new cards in the last 12m either prior to SPG Biz. Was given the option to log in using my existing log in and so I did, and it prepopulated my personal info on the app, but no hard pull was made at all.

I have the Freedom already so you would recommend the Discover It over the Bank of America?

Do you usually max out the rotating categories? If so, I would go with the Dsicover since it essentially gives you a higher cap when Chase and Discover categories overlap. And when they don’t, it’s continuity in similar categories since they may offer them one after another. Discover also offers the cashback match in the first year, so the 5% categories become 10% the first year.

Also consider the Amex Blue Cash (there’s a fee version that offers 6% back on groceries up to $6,000 and 3% on gas for a $95 annual fee, or the no-fee version that offers 3% back on groceries and 2% back on gas). The one with an annual fee is quite popularity here since you can get gift cards at the grocery store and essentially get cashback for many other retailers or restaurant.

Happy dance! This afternoon got the 2 free Ritz-Carlton nights after completing spend Friday :yay: Immediately made our reservations for Barcelona R-C after our cruise in July.:D

My DH has become quite the hotel prima donna so I think he might be bummed we're not staying at concierge level but free is free (and we still have the 3 CL upgrades) and with the current Euro to USD rate we'll save about $1000 (approx what 2 regular nights would have been in order to use the CL upgrade). I really don't think we'll consume $1000 worth of anything in 2 nights so I'm excited! Plus with the upgrade certificates hanging out, I suspect he'll approve a couple of 2-3 day weekend getaways (always thinking...). Our annibirthday trip is now all set :)

Do you usually max out the rotating categories? If so, I would go with the Dsicover since it essentially gives you a higher cap when Chase and Discover categories overlap. And when they don’t, it’s continuity in similar categories since they may offer them one after another. Discover also offers the cashback match in the first year, so the 5% categories become 10% the first year.

Also consider the Amex Blue Cash (there’s a fee version that offers 6% back on groceries up to $6,000 and 3% on gas for a $95 annual fee, or the no-fee version that offers 3% back on groceries and 2% back on gas). The one with an annual fee is quite popularity here since you can get gift cards at the grocery store and essentially get cashback for many other retailers or restaurant.

It depends on the category. So for this category than yes I will max out, but when it the one for movies and restaurants I tend to not even make a dent. I would look at the amex since gas and groceries are what I constantly spend on, but not sure if I want the annual fee yet.

awesome.... how do you know the points amount needed for what you're asking for? Or do you ask them on the call? I'm curious,as we have an upcoming room only stay,and I'm wondering if I call and ask,they might have more options and I could switch my points usage to a different res.
I checked Disney’s site and also asked chase what the cost was. She gave me the cost in $ and in points. Well worth using my points and get 33% off since at the moment there are no discounts on campsites from what I could find.

It depends on the category. So for this category than yes I will max out, but when it the one for movies and restaurants I tend to not even make a dent. I would look at the amex since gas and groceries are what I constantly spend on, but not sure if I want the annual fee yet.

The fee version usually has a $200-$250 sign up bonus so if cashback is your objective, the sign up bonus for the first year
more than offsets the $95 annual fee while testing out the card the first year to see if you break even on the $95. If you don’t find it as lucrative, the card can always be downgraded to the no fee version that earns 3% on groceries and 2% on gas. As mentioned, most who have the card here (@wendow and @gottalovepluto being two I know who also have and love the card) also use the card for gift card purchases, effectively earning 6% on everything you can purchase a gift card for at the grocery store. Amazon is one I do that for quite a bit and gas as well when it’s not a rotating category on the other two cards. Hope that helps!

Has anyone used Discover It card with 5% cashback warehouse clubs at Sam's Club online and NOT had it give 5%? My charge is pending but listed as 'direct merchant.' No point in buying Disney GCs as Sam's if it's not 5%.

The fee version usually has a $200-$250 sign up bonus so if cashback is your objective, the sign up bonus for the first year
more than offsets the $95 annual fee while testing out the card the first year to see if you break even on the $95. If you don’t find it as lucrative, the card can always be downgraded to the no fee version that earns 3% on groceries and 2% on gas. As mentioned, most who have the card here (@wendow and @gottalovepluto being two I know who also have and love the card) also use the card for gift card purchases, effectively earning 6% on everything you can purchase a gift card for at the grocery store. Amazon is one I do that for quite a bit and gas as well when it’s not a rotating category on the other two cards. Hope that helps!
I thought amazon was consider a superstore and only earns the 1%. Is that right or does it fall under another category? I normally order my groceries from there when I feel like being lazy and allow someone to bring me the groceries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter