I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you see any real benefit with your AA card. I read mixed reviews so I am on the fence.
DH and I both have it, I also have the Barclay AA Aviator. Dumping one of mine before next AF but I do like the free bag (so we each have a free checked back) plus 10% of your points back. So a flight of 25k points only cost you 22500 points. I have booked AA thru UR portal but bag fees would apply. Having the AA card gives me a free bag regardless, even if I don't pay with that card.

I have a non credit card question. I understand how interest works and kind of remember amortization from college, though I'm not fully sure what way my student loan is done. I have two loans that were consolidated together, though they show separately but together. The interest rate is the same on both, 2.875. It's been awhile since I looked to see what the individual balances were so I just looked (I know, exciting Saturday night here paying bills, haha). The interest paid from my payment each month is different. One month it's over 70, another it's under 40, under 50, under 60. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the differences in the amount of interest is coming out of the payment. I always pay the exact same amount each month and have been for quite some time. Any ideas?
Are you making the payment on different days of the month?

DH and I both have it, I also have the Barclay AA Aviator. Dumping one of mine before next AF but I do like the free bag (so we each have a free checked back) plus 10% of your points back. So a flight of 25k points only cost you 22500 points. I have booked AA thru UR portal but bag fees would apply. Having the AA card gives me a free bag regardless, even if I don't pay with that card.
Okay so mainly the baggage is the benefit which works for me since i primarily fly with them.

Are you making the payment on different days of the month?

Yes but I didn't think it would make it would make it vary that much. It's due around the 15th but lately I've been paying a few days after the statement posts due to when I get paid. The first paycheck I get after the 15 seems to be what goes to the bills due on the 15th because the next check is too close. So all bills, if not paid prior to the statement dropping (cc's) are getting paid within a few days of it dropping.

Yes but I didn't think it would make it would make it vary that much. It's due around the 15th but lately I've been paying a few days after the statement posts due to when I get paid. The first paycheck I get after the 15 seems to be what goes to the bills due on the 15th because the next check is too close. So all bills, if not paid prior to the statement dropping (cc's) are getting paid within a few days of it dropping.
Interest is accruing based on the number of days between payments. So if your payment date varies that could cause the variation you see.

Interest is accruing based on the number of days between payments. So if your payment date varies that could cause the variation you see.

That would make sense why one was under 40 and another was over 70 but they seem to average in the 50 range. So it looks weird but in the end it's all the same. Thank you!

I have a question regarding chase freedom bonus category of 5%. It might be a far stretch question, but i feel like it does not hurt to ask. I am about to purchase my WDW tickets before it goes up in price and I was going purchase a gift card through Sam's (discounted). They offer visa checkout which pulls from my samsung pay. Will this be consider a purchase by samsung pay which will earn me my 5% Plus i plan to use chase portal to earn an extra 2%. Anyone have experience with this?

has anyone tried booking a beaches resort through the UR travel agency dept?

Good news, I answered my own question but wanted to share in case anyone else is considering a beaches resort all inclusive vacation.

I was looking at the beaches turks and Caicos. I ended up pricing it on their site and it was $7600 for 5 of us in a 1 bedroom concierge suite. So then I went to UR portal and it came up there too! It showed the discount too that the direct site was showing. But then with 1.5 UR redemption it is about 100,000 points a night....or $1000/nt instead of $1520/nt direct. So obviously that’s a lot of points, but it is a good way to shave a nice chunk off a pricey trip. We have enough to shave off $3k right now. Looking at fall break do i will probably wait and see if I can accrue another 100k. This seems like a good option for us with our 2 year old. The more I think about taking her to Hawaii, the more I think we should wait. Haha!

I have a question regarding chase freedom bonus category of 5%. It might be a far stretch question, but i feel like it does not hurt to ask. I am about to purchase my WDW tickets before it goes up in price and I was going purchase a gift card through Sam's (discounted). They offer visa checkout which pulls from my samsung pay. Will this be consider a purchase by samsung pay which will earn me my 5% Plus i plan to use chase portal to earn an extra 2%. Anyone have experience with this?

I don’t know about the payment, but I do know you won’t get shopping portal points for the gift card purchase.

Let us know if you get the 5x though. I’d order groceries there a lot.

There is so much to read on here wow!! but I have a question which card would work best for a $4000 balance transfer? there are so many out there now TIA

I don’t know about the payment, but I do know you won’t get shopping portal points for the gift card purchase.

Let us know if you get the 5x though. I’d order groceries there a lot.
I just purchase it since my other option was my 1.5% card and the possibility of earning 5% vs. losing the .5% is worth the try. So once it process i will posted back my results.

Do you see any real benefit with your AA card. I read mixed reviews so I am on the fence.
Okay so mainly the baggage is the benefit which works for me since i primarily fly with them.

I do since I fly AA and other One World carriers using AA miles quite a bit. Miami is a hub for AA and we fly out of Miami a lot, especially our international flights. @CyndiLouWho pointed out the free checked bag benefit which is for up to 4 travelers who are traveling with the card holder. There is also preferred boarding which can help if you need carry on space on a full flight. Card holders also get 25% off in flight purchases for food, drinks etc.

Since we tend to book our award flights in first or business this benefit doesn't do us any good. We are already allowed to bring 2 or 3 checked bags for free in first or business and also board in group 1. Our flights always come with complimentary food and drinks. None the less DH and I each still have the card and find it beneficial for the following reasons. Cardholders get 10% of their redeemed miles back each year up to 10,000 miles. We each blow through well more than 100,000 AA miles each per year so this is worth it to us. Even if we only valued those miles at 1 cent each it covers the fee.

Card holders also are eligible for reduced mileage award tickets. This discount is 7500 AA miles less required for a RT or 3750 one way for flights greater than 500 miles. If the flight is a short haul flight and less than 500 miles the discount is 2,000 RT and 1,000 one way. So, if you happen to be flying to or from one of the reduced mileage cities available during that city's eligible reduced mileage month, then you can save quite a few miles on your award flight.

Here, this is copied straight from the Chase Freedom bonus terms and conditions for this quarter, screenshot below.

Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with your Chase Pay, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, or Android Pay digital wallet during check out. Eligible purchases only qualify for a total of 5% Cash Back rewards; purchases made using eligible wallets at other current 5% quarterly categories will be awarded a total of 5% Cash Back rewards on up to $1500 in combined purchases.

freedom bonus.png

Card holders also are eligible for reduced mileage award tickets. This discount is 7500 AA miles less required for a RT or 3750 one way for flights greater than 500 miles. If the flight is a short haul flight and less than 500 miles the discount is 2,000 RT and 1,000 one way. So, if you happen to be flying to or from one of the reduced mileage cities available during that city's eligible reduced mileage month, then you can save quite a few miles on your award flight.

Oh, I did not know this. This will help make my hawaii trip happen. Thank you .

Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with your Chase Pay, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, or Android Pay digital wallet during check out. Eligible purchases only qualify for a total of 5% Cash Back rewards; purchases made using eligible wallets at other current 5% quarterly categories will be awarded a total of 5% Cash Back rewards on up to $1500 in combined purchases.

The question comes up because when i hit visa checkout my samsung pay comes up from my device. You can link the two, but i am unsure if it appears as samsung pay giving me the 5% back. So i did go through with the transaction so now it is a wait and see . I am hoping it goes through samsung pay since i submitted the payment through there.

There is so much to read on here wow!! but I have a question which card would work best for a $4000 balance transfer? there are so many out there now TIA

I am not aware of any card or bank that offers points for a balance transfer. The fees incurred on carrying balances will negate the value of any points earned. I say the following gently and with only the best intentions for your success in travel hacking and card churning journey ... the number one rule when it comes to this hobby is to never carry a balance and always pay in full :flower3: Now, with that said the first order of business to begin would be to pay off all credit card debt or other debt aside of mortgage and car loans that are incurring high interest. There are a number of 0% balance transfer cards out there and you may have an existing card that is offering 0% for x number of months for a 3% - 5% balance transfer fee. The Citi Simplicity card has a 3% BT fee for 0% on the BT for 18 months. If the fee is much lower than the interest you are currently paying on the balance then go for it. Once you've got you balance paid down, we will all cheer you here :cheer2: :grouphug: and then be delighted to help you with your travel hacking goals :teacher: :genie: :beach: :car: :sail: :hourglass

I make no apologies for my emoji love! :banana:

Balance transfers aren't discussed here much because they never count as spending, so will not earn you any kind of rewards. DH and I did a few balance transfers 20-some years ago when we could get zero-interest and no-transfer fee deals on a new card. Lately I have seen a few zero-interest deals for new cards but none that will waive the transfer fee. If I had a credit card balance that I was looking to transfer to a new card, those would be the two things I would be looking for.

What cruise company? I'm waiting for DCL to announce 2019 AK cruises to see if we can afford. If not, I've been looking elsewhere.
This was Holland America...... never having cruised, I was inexperienced with the ins and outs. It was a shoulder season cruise, so basically the 2nd cruise of the season for AK (April 30) I booked it on Dec 3,so 4 months out. It was one of our best trip experiences ever,and I want to replicate it sometime! (FWIW,I'm dumb, I came across a deal for Barcelona-Miami last fall,and didn't jump right on it...it was like $400 pp plus some other deals I forget now.... and I didn't book it) lesson learned...when you see a deal, grab it. I'm now watching lots of agencies for hint of deals I can use for next year....

I have a non credit card question. I understand how interest works and kind of remember amortization from college, though I'm not fully sure what way my student loan is done. I have two loans that were consolidated together, though they show separately but together. The interest rate is the same on both, 2.875. It's been awhile since I looked to see what the individual balances were so I just looked (I know, exciting Saturday night here paying bills, haha). The interest paid from my payment each month is different. One month it's over 70, another it's under 40, under 50, under 60. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the differences in the amount of interest is coming out of the payment. I always pay the exact same amount each month and have been for quite some time. Any ideas?
The interest paid changes based on 2 factors: the amount of days covered in the payment and the total amount owed on the loan. As you pay down the loan you owe less interest because you are borrowing less money. These 2 factors can do wonky things to how much of your payment is credited to interest.

Was able to get the campsite thanks for the help. Worked out to a 33% savings by using the csr ur. What’s even better is she connected Disney on the line so I could ask my questions and I got my reservation numbers from Disney. Now to decide if I want to add dining for the first night
awesome.... how do you know the points amount needed for what you're asking for? Or do you ask them on the call? I'm curious,as we have an upcoming room only stay,and I'm wondering if I call and ask,they might have more options and I could switch my points usage to a different res.

Feel the same. I took on 8k spend across 4 mos and I feel like I am missing out on all the great Freedom categories plus now, the Marriott biz offer and I'd love to have that Discover card too.

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I applied for the spg personal for my dh. We have a hard time with 5k spend in 3 mos but to add another 3k of spend less than a month into the 5k spend was pure lunacy :headache:
this is what I'm being really careful of right now...I get get it!
You can book a room only reservation through the regular UR portal. However, since the Travel and Tours dept is a travel agency, I think they can book anything a TA can book, which would include a room only reservation. If you do it, post back and let us know if there was any benefit to going through them.
can you buy tickets only thru this call using UR?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter