I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been away from this board but I'm back now. Last time you all helped me decide to get the AmEx Business gold card. I met the minimum spend and am ready for my next card. I'm thinking about the SPG one this time, which I almost went with last time. There was some discussion about the possibility of this card not being available for much longer. Is it still around and do you think it's a good choice for me?

I've been away from this board but I'm back now. Last time you all helped me decide to get the AmEx Business gold card. I met the minimum spend and am ready for my next card. I'm thinking about the SPG one this time, which I almost went with last time. There was some discussion about the possibility of this card not being available for much longer. Is it still around and do you think it's a good choice for me?
Glad the thread was able to help you :) I take it your are fully familiar with 5/24? If so continue on, if not say something. SPG and Marriott cards are getting re-worked this year somehow. We're not entirely certain where all the chips will fall when Amex and Chase are done with this. This blogger has a write up their guesses on what will happen https://www.doctorofcredit.com/spg-marriott-cards/ keep in mind they are just gueses. People are also holding out the offers will increase next month or so on the basis that they did last year, others are jumping right now because the spend was higher on those offers and/or they are worried the cards won't exist anymore. Personally I jumped on the SPG Biz because I didn't want a new account showing on my credit report but I intend to try to pic up the SPG prsnl as soon as I can handle the spend (which unfortunately is a couple months away right now).

I take it your are fully familiar with 5/24?

"Fully familiar" would be a gross exaggeration, but yes, you guys pretty well educated me on that point last time. Right now I am most likely at 5/24. Next month I drop to 4/24 and once I get myself removed as an AU on a couple of DH's accounts it should be lower.

I need to pay for the kids' camps and a few other large-ish things soon so I think I should go ahead and get a new card now. So maybe SPG Biz would be a good choice?

"Fully familiar" would be a gross exaggeration, but yes, you guys pretty well educated me on that point last time. Right now I am most likely at 5/24. Next month I drop to 4/24 and once I get myself removed as an AU on a couple of DH's accounts it should be lower.

I need to pay for the kids' camps and a few other large-ish things soon so I think I should go ahead and get a new card now. So maybe SPG Biz would be a good choice?
First off - welcome back!

SPG is a GREAT choice if you're trying to get under 5/24 :) A lot of people here have been hitting this card up lately. There is a 25k point for $5,000 spend offer available. That link is available on DISchurners if you want to support a fellow DISer.

Full disclosure - at times they have increased this bonus to 35k points but the last time they did that it required a $10k minimum spend. We have no idea if they will increase it to 35k again and as you previously mentioned, there is some concern that this may go away someday too. Good luck - let us know if you have any other questions :D

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the SPG now. I would have a hard time putting $10,000 on it in three months, so I don't want to wait for that.

That link is available on DISchurners if you want to support a fellow DISer.

Last time I used your link on Reddit. Where is DISchurners?

Want to send DH to Chase to get a business checking account for the $300 bonus... he has a "biz"... what will they ask him? Does he need to take any documents with him?

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the SPG now. I would have a hard time putting $10,000 on it in three months, so I don't want to wait for that.

No worries! You are a member of DISchurners - it's on Reddit. You can access it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DISchurners/

Want to send DH to Chase to get a business checking account for the $300 bonus... he has a "biz"... what will they ask him? Does he need to take any documents with him?

they ask you what your biz is, what you u will use your account for. Revenue i think they ask too. ask me to guess my revenue. nothing to bring except if you have a mailer, they need a code. Its pretty simple.

edit: actually, u need your ID haha.

As long as he is just a sole proprietorship- I just needed 2 forms of identification. Drivers license and Chase credit card worked fine. I did have to schedule an appointment because when I went in on a Sat there was no business banker and they said I needed to use one of those to open the account so they took my number and a biz banker called me the following week to set up the appointment. I'm in CA. I did see a DP that Washington state has different reqs but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. What questions does he need to be ready for: what does his business do, what is his expected revenue. Revenue doesn't have to be inflated, I think I said $500.

FYI - the $10k min spend was over 6 months. Obviously that offer isn't available currently but IF it came back we'd expect it to be something like 25k points for $6k spend in 3 months PLUS 10k points for an additional $4k spend over 3 additional months (so in total: 35k points for $10k spend over 6 months)

FYI - the $10k min spend was over 6 months. Obviously that offer isn't available currently but IF it came back we'd expect it to be something like 25k points for $6k spend in 3 months PLUS 10k points for an additional $4k spend over 3 additional months (so in total: 35k points for $10k spend over 6 months)

35,000 points is only 10,000 points more than 25,000 (duh!), but you have to spend twice as much to get it. I think I'd rather take my 25,000 and save that extra $5000 to put towards the minimum spend on another Chase card when I get below 5/24 next month. Does this make sense or is there something I'm not considering?

35,000 points is only 10,000 points more than 25,000 (duh!), but you have to spend twice as much to get it. I think I'd rather take my 25,000 and save that extra $5000 to put towards the minimum spend on another Chase card when I get below 5/24 next month. Does this make sense or is there something I'm not considering?
There is definitely merit to that logic. The additional 10k points are worth something in the neighborhood of $200 on $5k spend (which is not the greatest return). The thing to remember is AMEX is once in a lifetime so this is your only chance to earn this bonus. I would tend to agree with your logic, I'm sure others would prefer to get the highest bonus possible regardless of the spend required.

This really comes down to a personal decision, as long as you are happy with what you decided to do and did it for a good reason, you really can't go wrong here. I don't think there's a "right" and "wrong" answer on this particular churning question.

There is definitely merit to that logic. The additional 10k points are worth something in the neighborhood of $200 on $5k spend (which is not the greatest return). The thing to remember is AMEX is once in a lifetime so this is your only chance to earn this bonus. I would tend to agree with your logic, I'm sure others would prefer to get the highest bonus possible regardless of the spend required.

This really comes down to a personal decision, as long as you are happy with what you decided to do and did it for a good reason, you really can't go wrong here. I don't think there's a "right" and "wrong" answer on this particular churning question.
It's really an extra 15K in points (10K+5K) for the extra $5,000 in spending (i.e., 10,000 more points for 35K vs. 25K + 5K points for the spending). 15,000 spg points (45,000 Marriott points) are worth about $400 or so to me. I think that's a decent return on $5,000 of spending. But I totally agree that it's really what makes sense to you.

SPG Biz sounds like a solid choice if you want a CC now but are watching your 5/24 (says the person who made the exact same choice :wave:).

Since you mentioned being an AU affecting your 5/24 status: Chase will usually get reconsider over the phone if your accounts are AU accounts but it can take some HUCA to find a rep willing to reconsider the application without the AU accounts (took me 3). If you don't want to call you can also remove yourself as an AU with the credit card companies and wait for that to work its way through the credit bureaus, others here have experience with that route if you're interested in the logistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter