I mean at this point, why is anyone buying direct?

Same! Consequently that was the last time we bought merch haha. Tbh, merch options haven't been great recently. I also bought my wife a circut machine and she's making our family's shirts, hats, and other accessories for our recent trips. The machine practically paid for itself from the savings from not buying as much merch!

Edit: whoops just read the post above and was replying to someone who replied to me earlier. Feel free to delete if it's too off-topic. Thanks!

Talking about the membership extras and discounts as a plus for direct is fine so your post works.

It’s the back and forth about resale buyers getting them and whether one should or should not be doing it as been discssued enough that we can move on from that point in the thresd.

Last edited:
If you're an annual pass holder, the DVC discount doesn't mean much. There are few instances where they are different, but for the most part the AP discounts are usually better. And easier to show!

The 30% off merch and 20% table service discount is like Christmas. 8-)

I don't understand why they charge for coffee anyway. Most hotels have the "free" coffee in addition to the coffee shop where you purchase overpriced coffee/beverages. I only drink black coffee and as long as it doesn't taste stale or too strong then I'm good.

I think all the DVC resorts should have that fancy cucumber water in the lobby that every hotel in New York has.

Next time my sister-in-law asks me to help her get her 17 tote bags out of the car and up the stairs of the Wilderness Lodge, I'm going to suggest it.

🤣

Disney gave you something $35 for free? That's more than you get when you buy direct, wow.
They gave it to my granddaughter at MK.

When we were walking past a group of CMs she yelled hello and one of them ran over and after talking to her she was taken to a store and given a doll.

When we were walking past a group of CMs she yelled hello and one of them ran over and after talking to her she was taken to a store and given a doll.
Better lock her up.

Anyways, I still struggle to see the benefit of the discounts as much when most of them are not exclusive to DVC. Most of the discounts are the same between the AP and DVC. I personally find more benefit from the lounges (which I hope they open more of) and Moonlight Magic but even that wouldn't be enough to convince me to buy direct on its own. At the end of the day it really just comes down to the resort restrictions which unfortunately I do care about and burn a large hole in my wallet.

Better lock her up.

Anyways, I still struggle to see the benefit of the discounts as much when most of them are not exclusive to DVC. Most of the discounts are the same between the AP and DVC. I personally find more benefit from the lounges (which I hope they open more of) and Moonlight Magic but even that wouldn't be enough to convince me to buy direct on its own. At the end of the day it really just comes down to the resort restrictions which unfortunately I do care about and burn a large hole in my wallet.

Memberhsip extras are definitely a bonus for us but we are happy we get them.

Obviously, right now, it is access to the Sorcerer AP, but like you, we want to be able to use everywhere so that makes direct worth it.

And, you just never know what will come along that will be even better!

Better lock her up.

I think if POLY2 is a new association, and the Cabins go on-line the restrictions will really start to make a difference.

Last edited:

Seven years ago, my daughter collided with another kid at the Splash pad at the GF and ended up needing a few stitches. They had cute little princess toy kit sent to out room. If anybody wants to try this, let me know how it goes.

I think if PLOY2 is a new association, and the Cabins go on-line the restrictions will really start to make a difference.
Make no mistake... Everyone talks about the new resorts having restrictions, but the restrictions are actually on ALL resorts. The difference is just not as noticeable on the O14 right now. When people talk about owning until time is up rather than selling it, they need to realize that after 2042, the O14 shrinks down to O9. Copper Creek resale owners will only have Poly1 and VGF to trade into after 2062. Yes, that is ~40 years away, and some of us might be long gone. But if people are estate planning or planning to own a resale contract "forever", that should be taken into consideration.

Make no mistake... Everyone talks about the new resorts having restrictions, but the restrictions are actually on ALL resorts. The difference is just not as noticeable on the O14 right now. When people talk about owning until time is up rather than selling it, they need to realize that after 2042, the O14 shrinks down to O9. Copper Creek resale owners will only have Poly1 and VGF to trade into after 2062. Yes, that is ~40 years away, and some of us might be long gone. But if people are estate planning or planning to own a resale contract "forever", that should be taken into consideration.
This 100%. As a relatively young family this is on our minds all the time and why we might dump some resale points in favor of unrestricted direct ones.

This 100%. As a relatively young family this is on our minds all the time and why we might dump some resale points in favor of unrestricted direct ones.
Likewise, if I wasn’t okay with only using AUL at AUL and AKV only at AKV I wouldn’t have bought there. In all likelihood I’ll be able to use them at a variety of resorts for a long time, but going into these resale contracts with that expectation limits any disappointment I may have from being a resale owner at these resorts. Being able to use their points at other resorts is just gravy to me but I love both of them on their own. Our RIV points will primarily be direct and I’m actually kind of hoping Poly 2 is its own association so that way I don’t feel compelled to buy resale and will have a larger pool of direct points to use with my RIV. Also not having to fight with the points from the bungalows for 2BRs would be nice.

Last edited:
The only thing with that is that those "old" resale points will still have the flexibility at least of 9 different resorts (especially Aulani). If you had to sell for whatever reason, these new direct resorts are not going to be as easy to resell as they will be set to only that 1 resort. It is something to consider. Everyone thinks that they will keep their points forever, but it is nice to have a backup plan in case you need it.

The only thing with that is that those "old" resale points will still have the flexibility at least of 9 different resorts (especially Aulani). If you had to sell for whatever reason, these new direct resorts are not going to be as easy to resell as they will be set to only that 1 resort. It is something to consider. Everyone thinks that they will keep their points forever, but it is nice to have a backup plan in case you need it.
a back up plan might be:
Borrowing against the value points to raise capital,
Rent unused points,
Swap points….

There is to be no more discussion regarding resale owners getting benefits they are not entitled to get.

The topic has been discussed in this thread enough and it simply turns into a debate.

Posts of this nature will be deleted.

I am a blue card believer. In June I went to an After Hours events and saved about $150 on the 3 tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter