Ideas to keep a 20 month old busy on an airplane

Taking DGS to WDW in Oct.
4 1/2 hour flight plus airport before.
He does not have his own seat, but we are in bulkhead seat.
Need ideas to keep him busy.

So far the only things he likes to do are noisy or throwing things :rolleyes:

Help!!

Nancy, are his parents going? .......and if not #1 you are very brave to be taking a 20 month old on a plane anywhere and if they are going let them help keep him occupied!! ;)

Note that Benadryl backfired on a friend of mine. Apparently her dd was one of the few that it made hyper instead of sleepy. She had a hyper 2yo on a cross country flight and it wasn't pretty!

DD14 was a kid that got wired on Benedryl - the first time she ever flew was when she was 7 so we never needed to use it for that reason, but she used to get really bad allergies and drippy-nose colds when she was a toddler, so the Dr. advised Benedryl to help dry her up. We would give it to her before bed, and she would be up all night lol At first we thought it was because of her cold, but soon realized it was the Benedryl that was making her wired. She was a pretty calm kid usually, so to see her all hyped up was weird.

Along with some of the other suggestions, I'd pack a box or two of band-aids with his favorite characters - kids LOVE band-aids but they are always off limits. Show him how to take the tabs off, let him decorate himself with them, then play that the boo-boos are magically gone by the end of the flight! Or not...I would die laughing from the cuteness of seeing a toddler coming off an airplane with bandaids all over himself :rotfl2:

Nancy, are his parents going? .......and if not #1 you are very brave to be taking a 20 month old on a plane anywhere and if they are going let them help keep him occupied!! ;)

Yes, they are going. Also me, DH and DD, DGD, as well, as DGS. DGD was a nightmare when we took her at 17 months. Hoping this goes better. He is more mellow in general than she was....BUT I see the terrible 2s creeping in already!!
Well, they can try to occupy him, but if he is noisy, I have to listen to it ;)
I'm sure we will all take turns. At least there are lots of laps

DD14 was a kid that got wired on Benedryl - the first time she ever flew was when she was 7 so we never needed to use it for that reason, but she used to get really bad allergies and drippy-nose colds when she was a toddler, so the Dr. advised Benedryl to help dry her up. We would give it to her before bed, and she would be up all night lol At first we thought it was because of her cold, but soon realized it was the Benedryl that was making her wired. She was a pretty calm kid usually, so to see her all hyped up was weird.

Along with some of the other suggestions, I'd pack a box or two of band-aids with his favorite characters - kids LOVE band-aids but they are always off limits. Show him how to take the tabs off, let him decorate himself with them, then play that the boo-boos are magically gone by the end of the flight! Or not...I would die laughing from the cuteness of seeing a toddler coming off an airplane with bandaids all over himself :rotfl2:

That would be funny!! I am going to do stickers....he can also decorate himself with those.
So far, again.....no interest in stickers and I don't think he has ever had a band aid on. I tried Scotch tape on his finger once, but he just screamed until I took it off.

I also packed trip bags for my kids, so they had new things to occupy them. Along the lines of bandaids and stickers, I used to pack pads of post-it notes in small sizes. They could stick them and remove and stick again... Snacks were also a big deal.

I would go to the dollar store or the dollar spot at target to find things. That way if they didn’t hold interest, I wasn’t out a lot of money.

All of mine handled travel really well at that age, so I hope the same for you. Enjoy!

I also packed trip bags for my kids, so they had new things to occupy them. Along the lines of bandaids and stickers, I used to pack pads of post-it notes in small sizes. They could stick them and remove and stick again... Snacks were also a big deal.

I would go to the dollar store or the dollar spot at target to find things. That way if they didn’t hold interest, I wasn’t out a lot of money.

All of mine handled travel really well at that age, so I hope the same for you. Enjoy!

Thank you. I hope so. Like I mentioned DGD at 17 months was a nightmare

That's a long time on a plane! If it's not turbulent you could walk up and down the aisle some with him. He could stretch his legs and you wouldn't be holding him the whole time. We didn't fly much with kids that age, but always had a layover so it broke up the time on the plane, and oldest DD was a good plane napper. I also made sure they were drinking/swallowing during takeoff and landing if possible to help equalize the pressure. Good luck!

Thank you for that idea.....he does like stacking things too
My grandkids are large for their age. He has been forward facing for a couple of months.....and he doesn't have a seat. I just checked and nothing available.

We have flown with all of our kids at that age, coming from NZ to WDW is 19 hours each way worth of flying plus airport times!
Honestly, I hate having the bullhead.

All screen rules go out the window while flying. If you are going to try an iPad get a case since he likes throwing things. As well as watching, download some apps, there are loads of disney or sesame street apps that are suitable.
Playdough has always been our friend, I have a clear file folder with some playdough mats, you can find heaps of free printables, plus add so.e little bits like feathers pipe cleaners googly eyes and they can play forever. Also you can print little roads and take hot wheel size cars.
If he likes throwing thi gs and there are 6 of you, use it, take a small ball or just screw up a piece of paper and encourage him to throw it within your group, make a game with a up "hoop"

You will be fine, we have do e this with only 2 adults and 3 kids under 5! Worse case you end up dokey g 4 hours of inky dinky spider etc

You are a brave women, Nancy. I already told my kids we're not doing Disney until they are in school!!! Hopefully I'll be around for those trips. ;)

That's a long time on a plane! If it's not turbulent you could walk up and down the aisle some with him. He could stretch his legs and you wouldn't be holding him the whole time. We didn't fly much with kids that age, but always had a layover so it broke up the time on the plane, and oldest DD was a good plane napper. I also made sure they were drinking/swallowing during takeoff and landing if possible to help equalize the pressure. Good luck!

We will walk with hi. DGD loved walking, but we had to hold her hands up or she wanted to stop and visit with everyone, even those that were asleep :rolleyes:
His ears should be fine, he has ear tubes

We have flown with all of our kids at that age, coming from NZ to WDW is 19 hours each way worth of flying plus airport times!
Honestly, I hate having the bullhead.

All screen rules go out the window while flying. If you are going to try an iPad get a case since he likes throwing things. As well as watching, download some apps, there are loads of disney or sesame street apps that are suitable.
Playdough has always been our friend, I have a clear file folder with some playdough mats, you can find heaps of free printables, plus add so.e little bits like feathers pipe cleaners googly eyes and they can play forever. Also you can print little roads and take hot wheel size cars.
If he likes throwing thi gs and there are 6 of you, use it, take a small ball or just screw up a piece of paper and encourage him to throw it within your group, make a game with a up "hoop"

You will be fine, we have do e this with only 2 adults and 3 kids under 5! Worse case you end up dokey g 4 hours of inky dinky spider etc

DGD will be 5 and she is now a good plane flyer. Loves her Kindle and Ipad. Between us all we have a lot of tablets!!
We do need to get him to use headphones though. I think I will start working with him on that.
String on a ball is good. No one to hit in front of him :rotfl:

You are a brave women, Nancy. I already told my kids we're not doing Disney until they are in school!!! Hopefully I'll be around for those trips. ;)

This will be DGD's second trip to WDW, she has been to DLR twice and one Disney cruise.
No way could we wait for school. We go so often. She loves it all, so hopefully he will too.

DGD will be 5 and she is now a good plane flyer. Loves her Kindle and Ipad. Between us all we have a lot of tablets!!
We do need to get him to use headphones though. I think I will start working with him on that.
String on a ball is good. No one to hit in front of him :rotfl:

There are cute themed ones (like Marshall from paw patrol) that the kids love.

I also saw some being advertised on Facebook that look like a sweatband

There are cute themed ones (like Marshall from paw patrol) that the kids love.

I also saw some being advertised on Facebook that look like a sweatband

These?? so far he doesn't like hats or things on his head. I will start working on it. He is staying the weekend with us
1d3bb168-66f0-4477-84bd-4e1856c08f05_1.af8412555536b8823edd87e03454093b.jpeg

Job one is getting him to use headphones; all of the usual things that entertain littles tend to be a bit noisy, and noise bothers passengers no end (especially on flights that are crossing time zones, as folks tend to like to nap more in those circumstances.) I found that a good way to get babies to deal with headphones is to wear them in their presence, and make a big deal out of putting them on, etc. Their curiosity will get to them and they will want to try. Since he likes to throw, make sure that any electronic screen you give him is in a thick rubber bumper case and has a strong screen protector applied; one good slam against an armrest and that iPad could be toast. As to what to watch, try downloading YouTube videos of babies. Babies love watching other babies (including the animal kind), so that might hold his attention better than an actual "story" video.

Have one of his parents record the board books you are bringing, preferably the parent who usually does bedtime stories. That way he gets a read-along that won't bother other passengers, and that *may* actually help him sleep.

Play-Doh is NOT a good idea, at least not the real name-brand stuff, for 3 reasons: 1) it stinks. Other passengers are likely to have issues with the odor, 2) It crumbles easily and will cling when it does; very difficult to clean up. 3) It leaves an oily residue, and this is especially a problem if it crumbles on a seat; many a business suit has been ruined by sitting in Play-Doh residue. If you must use a "dough" product, please go with Crayola Model Magic, which is odorless and does not contain any oil.

Be very careful with the "ball on a string" idea; the FA's may tell you it is a hazard. Make sure that the ball is soft enough not to make a thumping noise, and be sure that the cord is no more than a foot or so long; having it fly backward over the seat-back into another passenger's face or drink would not be a happy thing. Also, as you are sitting in a bulkhead seat, you will have trouble stashing his stuff if the fasten-seatbelt light is on. I recommend bringing along a carseat under-mat that has pockets in the front; you can put it down on the seat underneath you and use the hanging pockets to stash small items in flight. If you don't already have one, something like this would work:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075K7JQJD/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1 (Or it would be easy to make one if you sew.)

Also, I know it's too late for your flight, but for others reading the thread: 15-24 mos is PRIME squirm time for toddlers, the phase at which holding them on a lap for a long flight is pure hell on the traveling adult. If at all possible, buy a seat and put the child's carseat in it; it will keep him safely contained so that adults can get some rest.

One other thing: as you don't know whether or not this child is prone to airsickness, best to travel prepared. Don't feed any dairy within 2 hours of boarding the plane, and don't feed any during the flight. (Note that while dairy does not CAUSE airsickness, the smell of it and the difficulty of cleaning it up will make dealing with an airsick child that much worse if it happens.) Stick to clear liquids that are less likely to stain. Carry your own toddler-friendly snacks; mine always liked Nilla Wafers, which are not very messy as cookies go. Bring a white cloth in case you need to scrub up clothes or the seat; wipes don't work well for that. (I always carried a couple of flat cloth diapers in my bag for this purpose; they are absorbent and work very well for scrubbing, and you can put them across your lap to protect your clothes from crumbs, etc.) Also, young kids usually can't use airsick bags properly, so when ours were little we carried along a small beach pail for this purpose.

Last edited:
Thanks....didn't plan on Play doh. He doesn't play with that anyway.
We ordered headphones and will start trying them when they come......His sister has a bumper case on her Kindle and an already broken sreen IPad, so one of those will work.
We plan on lots of small toys....and containers.
We will not be bringing a car seat. No seat for him. He can walk around.
Thank you for all the ideas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter