Ideas to keep a 20 month old busy on an airplane

That's a long time on a plane! If it's not turbulent you could walk up and down the aisle some with him. He could stretch his legs

Please don't let the child walk around.

We were on a flight a few years ago where a woman and her toddler walked up and down the aisle many many (too) MANY times. It hindered people going to the rest room and the flight attendant from attending passengers. It was very annoying and she just kept walking up and down the aisle smiling at everyone like he was the only kid who ever lived. I saw several other people rolling eyes and making remarks about how rude it was. A time or two would have been fine but she went wayyy overboard.

We were on a flight a few years ago where a woman and her toddler walked up and down the aisle many many (too) MANY times. It hindered people going to the rest room and the flight attendant from attending passengers. It was very annoying and she just kept walking up and down the aisle smiling at everyone like he was the only kid who ever lived. I saw several other people rolling eyes and making remarks about how rude it was. A time or two would have been fine but she went wayyy overboard.

exactly- very annoying!

Note that Benadryl backfired on a friend of mine. Apparently her dd was one of the few that it made hyper instead of sleepy. She had a hyper 2yo on a cross country flight and it wasn't pretty!

My kids pediatrician always recommended Benadryl for flights. It dries up their nasal passages, which can help with ear pressure and pain. Plus, it can make them sleepy. My pediatrician also recommended testing it before the actual flight, because of the opposite effect it can have on some.

DD was 3.5 by the time she took her first flight so she was in her car seat on her first flight (children over 2 and less than 4 had to be in an approved cars seat on the plane according to Air Canada at the time.) As others have said board as late as you can, and let him run and play as much as possible before getting on the plane. My nieces were just under 2 when the and were lap babies. One thing both my sister and sister IL did was took their shoes off while seated on their lap and when they were older and in the car seat. It keeps them from kicking the seat in front of them. DD9 still does this as most the time she curls up with her head on my lap and sleeps. I dread the day when she's too big to this, and I know it's approaching fast.

Long ago, and far away, I traveled with my then 2.5 y/o oldest son, on a 7 or 8 hour flight to Europe. The flight left JFK, around 8:00 PM which was a blessing to him, me, and other passengers. I made sure that he "jumped around" during the day of the flight to ensure he slept through most of it. Slipped him into his flannel sleeper at the house and off into the Land of Nod he went for at least 4 hours. When he woke I was well rested, read him a story or two, and walked the aisle for a bit visiting other traveling children. Eventually, breakfast was served and we returned to our seats with the "normal" sounds of regrets. Obviously, it was a different time but I believe certain parts of it can be emulated today.

In general, I stay away from the electronic devices of today for children (minus the Kindle/online books- lowers carry on weight) since I would prefer they use their imagination and the powers of the spoken and written word to expand their appreciation of language. It took time to wean DGD from the "TV as babysitter thunk" her mother subscribed to but her vocabulary has improved vastly. It was good reading an article that the "billionaires" of Siicon Valley limit their children's access to electronics as well.

We wasted too much time and money getting things to entertain our kids. From the very 1st flight, they've fallen asleep while we've still been at the gate.

In general, I stay away from the electronic devices of today for children (minus the Kindle/online books- lowers carry on weight) since I would prefer they use their imagination and the powers of the spoken and written word to expand their appreciation of language. It took time to wean DGD from the "TV as babysitter thunk" her mother subscribed to but her vocabulary has improved vastly. It was good reading an article that the "billionaires" of Siicon Valley limit their children's access to electronics as well.

:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter