If you Rode Forbidden Journey...POST HERE! :) (Spoilers)

I've been away from a computer and the net for a week ---- thanks to everyone for their wonderful description of the ride. Can't wait to ride it in November:thumbsup2

They mentioned on the DIS podcast that the graphics look like a "bad video game". Can anyone comment on what that might mean?

They mentioned on the DIS podcast that the graphics look like a "bad video game". Can anyone comment on what that might mean?

a lot of it is projections rather than hd screens.. there are a few hd screens in different points when characters are talking and near the end but a lot of it (to me) is not that easy to see especially when you are being thrown around..also i noticed when hermione is talking the audio is off from her lips..i remember looking back, seeing her, and it not being in sync.

Two minor things.
I sat in the far right-hand seat (facing the bench) the first time I rode today, and the seat next to it. I got wetter the 2nd time from the spider's spitting, but I'm not sure if it's the seat.
On our 2nd visit today we stopped in the room where Harry, Ron, and Hermione talk to you. The first time there was a great snow effect with snow from a snow machine falling lightly, but we waited for it to cycle again and didn't get snow the second time.
We were really glad we rode the ride twice, we got more out of it the 2nd time (but having just had frozen butterbeer also found our stomachs felt the ride more)!. Minor note, my wife and I are in our mid-late 60s.
Doug

Two minor things.
I sat in the far right-hand seat (facing the bench) the first time I rode today, and the seat next to it. I got wetter the 2nd time from the spider's spitting, but I'm not sure if it's the seat.
On our 2nd visit today we stopped in the room where Harry, Ron, and Hermione talk to you. The first time there was a great snow effect with snow from a snow machine falling lightly, but we waited for it to cycle again and didn't get snow the second time.
We were really glad we rode the ride twice, we got more out of it the 2nd time (but having just had frozen butterbeer also found our stomachs felt the ride more)!. Minor note, my wife and I are in our mid-late 60s.
Doug
I've heard about the snow effect. I wonder if it takes some time to cycle so not everyone sees it?

It does take a little time to cycle. We were stuck in line for some time at that point of the queue and we saw both versions, but they do play back to back.

Yep, there only seems to be two versions of everything in the queue which gets old really fast if you're stuck for any length of time. We had an hour's wait for our first ride because FJ technically wasn't running yet. I could give both of the DADA dialogues by heart. The four founders' speeches are also embedded in my head since we were stuck in there before the ride fried for the day and we had to leave/

I have an 8 year old who wants to ride FJ but I know the nightmares I will have to endure for the rest of our vacation. He does not like going into Disney's Haunted Mansion and Dinosaur he was in my lap after the first dinosaur jumped out. How scary is this ride? He has seen the movies and read the books but I am afraid the "in you face" of this ride might be too much for him. Can someone give me some clues about when the spiders and dementors show up. I can at least give him a heads up to close his eyes.

I have an 8 year old who wants to ride FJ but I know the nightmares I will have to endure for the rest of our vacation. He does not like going into Disney's Haunted Mansion and Dinosaur he was in my lap after the first dinosaur jumped out. How scary is this ride? He has seen the movies and read the books but I am afraid the "in you face" of this ride might be too much for him. Can someone give me some clues about when the spiders and dementors show up. I can at least give him a heads up to close his eyes.

From the video that I've seen of the ride, if he can't handle Haunted Mansion, then he won't like this too much. Search YouTube if you want to see it. Sorry I have no link. Good luck. :wizard:

He would HATE this ride if he doesn't like those. The Dementors come during the Quidditch match, and the spiders are earlier...I think they're in the same animatronic sequence as the dragon, which comes pretty quickly after Hagrid asks if you've seen a dragon in the movie part.

It doesn't make sense to me why this ride takes an hour to reset if its stopped. If what everyone said is true, then its a continuous loop that's always moving...what could they possibly have to do to reset it that would take that long? If they have to get everyone off, that's 4 minutes since that's how long the ride lasts. Then it seems like a matter of setting the cars in a certain spot and starting all the film footage from scratch. Seems to me like there should just be some sort of "sync" button to get everything in line.

I can't count how many times I've seen rides like Haunted Mansion have to stop to help load someone who was a bit slow....so everytime that happens, it takes an hour to start it up again?

Does this make sense to anyone here? Maybe they'll speed that up a bit because, from what I hear, the long wait time isn't going to be from people in line to ride, but from when it breaks down and takes an hour to reset each time. I sure hope they iron that out before GO.

It doesn't make sense to me why this ride takes an hour to reset if its stopped. If what everyone said is true, then its a continuous loop that's always moving...what could they possibly have to do to reset it that would take that long? If they have to get everyone off, that's 4 minutes since that's how long the ride lasts. Then it seems like a matter of setting the cars in a certain spot and starting all the film footage from scratch. Seems to me like there should just be some sort of "sync" button to get everything in line.

I can't count how many times I've seen rides like Haunted Mansion have to stop to help load someone who was a bit slow....so everytime that happens, it takes an hour to start it up again?

Does this make sense to anyone here? Maybe they'll speed that up a bit because, from what I hear, the long wait time isn't going to be from people in line to ride, but from when it breaks down and takes an hour to reset each time. I sure hope they iron that out before GO.

If they have to evac, it takes a lot more than four minutes, because it's not like the seats continue to run on the continuous loop once the ride is stopped.

The hour or more to re-start it has to do with technology and syncopation issues.

Stopping the ride to help people load is one thing but an "e-stop" is entirely different. If the ride has a technical problem or any type of emergency, it is e-stopped. With an e-stop, the techs have to look at the ride and give the all clear and then all the cars must be cycled through the ride, one time. It takes time to inspect the ride and then cycle all of the cars. If it is a "station stop" like someone taking longer to load, etc., it is just a short stop like what you described on Haunted Mansion. So the time to re-set a ride takes longer with an e-stop than a station stop. E-stop take a little longer on a new ride since everyone is a little less practiced on a new ride. Techs take longer checking the car and resetting and ride operators take longer with cylcling the cars.

If they have to evac, it takes a lot more than four minutes, because it's not like the seats continue to run on the continuous loop once the ride is stopped.

The hour or more to re-start it has to do with technology and syncopation issues.

So why don't they do like other rides and just roll the cars back through the station to unload? I dunno, it just seems excessive given that most continuous moving rides have to stop at least two to three times per hour because someone is having trouble loading in the length of track allowed in the station...I've been on haunted mansion when its stopped three times during one ride.

So why don't they do like other rides and just roll the cars back through the station to unload?
Hopefully you read my explanation of the 2 different types of stops in my post above yours. Sometimes cars are run backwards and sometimes they are run forward quickly like Men in Black does sometimes. It just depends on what error they are getting which caused the e-stop. Many times, it isn't safe to run the cars at all during an e-stop for both safety reasons for the guests or to keep from causing further damage to a car. Since we did not design the cars, I trust that the techs and ride ops are deciding how best to e-vac the guests.

Hopefully you read my explanation of the 2 different types of stops in my post above yours. Sometimes cars are run backwards and sometimes they are run forward quickly like Men in Black does sometimes. It just depends on what error they are getting which caused the e-stop. Many times, it isn't safe to run the cars at all during an e-stop for both safety reasons for the guests or to keep from causing further damage to a car. Since we did not design the cars, I trust that the techs and ride ops are deciding how best to e-vac the guests.

I think we were both posting at the same time. I had originally heard that the hour time frame was for EVERY stop, which made no sense at all. This makes a bit more and hopefully they'll speed things up a bit as time passes. It does seem like this thing cycles a lot of people through it, so as long as its running, the lines should stay fairly reasonable.

fjride2.jpg

Here you go, I am the one in the purple tank, i've got a double chin in the pic and my legs look like I lift weights each day! So don't look at me but it gives a good pic of the ride vehicle and my size for those who are wondering.

Cool photo, but ride must be more intense than I thought because it looks like the 4th rider got vaporized.

Sorry if this has been answered previously but I've been offline for a week - how much are the photos? Is it the normal $14.95 or so?

Doesn't the length of reset time also have to do with the fact that you are on a robot arm? DH and I got stopped on our backs at the top of the arm, so I can only guess we were pretty high up. We certainly had a good view of the ceiling! It would have required a ladder to get us down if they were unable to cycle the cars for some reason.

Sorry if this has been answered previously but I've been offline for a week - how much are the photos? Is it the normal $14.95 or so?

No, I bought the package, one 8 X10 and 2 5 X 7's for 37.00, just the 8 X 10 was 30.00 according to the TM that was doing the pics. I thought it would be 20, I asked just for the single pic and she told be that it was 30 alone...normally I would NOT have bought the pic, but since I wanted proof that I rode the ride, I gave in. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter