If you were building a new home, what would be your must haves?

I just wanted to come back and thank everyone again for all the great suggestions.
I really thought this process would be fun but I’m just a big ball of stress right now.

We are really trying to keep the costs down as much as possible because the base price of everything has skyrocketed since we bought the lot.

I'm gonna echo a previous poster and say if money is becoming a big issue, do the structural things now and save the modeling type stuff for later. So, the layout of the house with all electrical, plumbing, space and spacing needs is the top thing to do...

I think they call it a wet bath, when the tub is also included in the shower area. That would be my dream shower.

Floor in the attic with a pull-down ladder. We had this in our first home (720sf) and it was a life saver. We have since included it in both the house and the detached garage in our current home. We are never lacking for storage ( though we do now have way too much stuff).

Whatever you do, DO NOT compromise! We had a cabinet contractor talk us out of an apron sink we really wanted because she did not account for it in her design. It was going to cost us extra time and money and gave in - now we have a seam in the granite that doesn't quite match up at the sink. It's a constant reminder; should have stuck to our guns on the apron sink. Little things like that will drive you crazy.

Some "COVID" things we had not thought of when we remodeled the house;
Bring the fiber optic (or cable) into the CENTER of the house. That way the primary wifi modem will be either able to provide signal to the entire house or easily extended (the Google Nest puck things are amazing!)
Insulate the garage and include a separate room. Was meant to be a place I could shape surfboards, then was my kids room when we lived in our garage when we remodeled. When COVID hit it became the obvious place for the Peloton bike we suddenly had to have. Even better though, when clearing out the room for the bike it also revealed itself to be the perfect place for a home office. REALLY quiet, great WiFi and absolutely no reason for anyone to bug me.

Disclaimer: I haven't read all the previous responses.

I used to work for a builder whose customers brought their own designs. Some things left me shaking my head and others had me going "Oh yeah." Here's what I liked:

Homes designed to age in -- wide hallways, extra space in bathrooms, 36" doors that open out (not into the rooms), lever handles, walk in shower w/grab bars and seat, higher commodes.

Laundry rooms (not closets or stackables in the kitchen or bathroom) -- with above-appliance cabinets, built-in hanging area near dryer, linen closet, utility tub, folding table, window. This room should NOT lead into the garage, it needs to be its own room. The door needs to not be opening next to the appliances. (I've seen an appliance "walk" and end up blocking the door from opening.)

Entrance to the house from the garage should be its own room as well. A closet, base cabinets for storage and a surface to drop the groceries, shoe shelf. Family uses the garage entrance and leave their clutter there, guests come in through the front door.

Do you like candles in the windows? One customer had us install windowsills that were actually wired for candles that plugged into the sill (a slot opened for the candles). Or else put receptacles under each window.

One walk-in closet in the house that is not on outside walls, with extra wall-strength, that can be used in case of a tornado.

We had one customer that installed secret entrances in some closets that led to a stairway within the walls to a secret room in the basement in case of a break-in. (He was a retired jail warden, so maybe he had reason to be concerned.)

If your house is two-story, drawers that pull out from under each tread or from beside the stairs.

1) All electric
2) One story
3) At least a 3 car garage.
4) Electrical outlets on all four exterior walls
5) Faucets on all four exterior walls
6) Every interior wall has at least 2 electrical outlets, including the entry way

1) All electric
2) One story
3) At least a 3 car garage.
4) Electrical outlets on all four exterior walls
5) Faucets on all four exterior walls
6) Every interior wall has at least 2 electrical outlets, including the entry way

All electric is a personal choice. One I wouldn't make. During Hurricane Florence, we were out of power for 4 days, but we had hot water from our natural gas-powered hot water heater. If I'd had a gas stove, I could have cooked, too.

Now we have a whole-house generator--I think DH felt guilty because he was locked in at work while I held down the fort for 5 days (without power for the first four). It's powered by natural gas.

Some people live where this is less of an issue--I mentioned up-thread that some nearby neighborhoods have underground power lines. So, if the OP has that, he can go with whatever type of heating or cooling he likes. But, I would also consider the entire state of Florida to be a hurricane zone, so he needs to consider that he'll get hit, sooner or later.

We purchased a piece of land in a 55+ community in Florida and we are heading down next week to do our design meeting to pick out all the stuff for the house. We have the ability to move walls, do stretches to the entire house, basically, anything we want. (Wel, my wallet may disagree with that last statement

this is our 1st time building and hopefully our last time moving so I want to get it right.

is there anything that your home doesn’t have that you wish it did or something that it has that you are so happy it does?

any advise is welcomed but looking for inexpensive add ons that would be difficult or expensive to add later. Thanks!

list so far.
Cabinets all the way around the island. (No pantry in our floor plan)
Gas line Spicket (probably not the right word) in back for the grill
1 outlet plug on each exterior wall
An outlet plug on the center of the living room wall for the tv
Garbage can holder in kitchen cabinets
Long thin window at the top of the master shower for light
Windows in garage door
Servants’ quarters
Gate house
Delivery entrance
Pot filler over stove
Walk-in fireplace
Pre-wired security

Even if your neighborhood has underground power lines, the power still comes from somewhere outside of your neighborhood and likely those electrical poles are above ground. Falling trees/branches can pull down powerlines during major storms. With any type of backup generator system, need to think about your budget and exactly what things you would need during a power outage. Can make a BIG difference in the cost of the system. They either use propane or natural gas. Some areas may not have availability of natural gas particularly in warmer climates. Propane would require a fairly large tank probably underground if you want the system operating for an extended length of time. Certain items draw significantly more power and need to consider your budget before putting THOUSANDS of dollars into something you will only use infrequently.

Personally, the size of current kitchen islands have gotten way bigger then they need to be. If you watch those home design shows, it seems they put TWO sets of cabinets back-to-back to form a HUGE island just because it is cheaper for them that way. Oversize islands eat up a lot of the floorspace you would otherwise have available in the kitchen. I think the size of the island should be consistent with the size of your kitchen and you are probably not going to want to store things in the cabinets where the seating is located.

Builders also tend to push floor tile that is HUGE mainly because it costs them less labor to install. LARGE floor tile is also more prone to cracking over time as a result of uneven adhesive application or settling of the foundation.

Won't repeat a lot of the others things various posters have already said. Clearly if working within a budget, you will need to pick/choose those things you really want/need vs. something that is just nice to have. I would prioritize the things that make sense for your budget, how you plan to live and use your new home.

These are nice-to-haves rather than must-haves, but whatever:
  • An attic with a solid floor
  • Spacious closets
  • A rainfall shower
  • Double or triple paned windows
  • A downstairs storage area big enough to store holiday decorations, so they don't have to be hauled up and down stairs.

I have tried to read through most of the suggestions thus far, but haven't seen a mention of:

Automatic Bathroom Vent Fans (look for a model with a humidity sensor that activates the fan automatically—it is perfect for those who forget to turn it on before showering, and there is no forgetting to turn it off after either.) OR timer switches for bathroom vent fans. Hit the button, take a shower and it turns itself off in 20, 30 or 60 minutes.

Keyless entry lock so you don’t have to carry keys, plus you can give a secondary code to workers, guests, etc. and change it afterwards.

Automatic light sensors for the laundry room so you don't have to fumble while carrying a load of wash.

A farmhouse or single basin stainless steel sink (no divided sinks) so that you can actually soak a sheet pan in it flat.

A smart water heater—turn it off when away and then twenty minutes out, turn it back on. Saves on energy and helps prevent burn-out.

Touchless faucets in the kitchen and bathrooms.

I haven't read all of the answers, but I'm sure you've gotten lots of great ideas. We owned a home in Orlando for a few years, and one thing we added to our landscaping was "decorative concrete borders". I live up north in NJ now and we can't have them here due to the frost line. But they were really beautiful and really edged our landscaped beds beautifully. This wasn't our home, but an example of what they looked like. You can do any color really...and any kind of "stamp" to give it whatever look you'd prefer.

Citrus County FL landscape curbing landscape edging

Did a full remodel few years back
Couple things added where.
central vacuum system
and whole house water softener (Twin tank system)
Ever move these would both be a must to have

Even if your neighborhood has underground power lines, the power still comes from somewhere outside of your neighborhood and likely those electrical poles are above ground. Falling trees/branches can pull down powerlines during major storms. With any type of backup generator system, need to think about your budget and exactly what things you would need during a power outage. Can make a BIG difference in the cost of the system. They either use propane or natural gas. Some areas may not have availability of natural gas particularly in warmer climates. Propane would require a fairly large tank probably underground if you want the system operating for an extended length of time. Certain items draw significantly more power and need to consider your budget before putting THOUSANDS of dollars into something you will only use infrequently.

Personally, the size of current kitchen islands have gotten way bigger then they need to be. If you watch those home design shows, it seems they put TWO sets of cabinets back-to-back to form a HUGE island just because it is cheaper for them that way. Oversize islands eat up a lot of the floorspace you would otherwise have available in the kitchen. I think the size of the island should be consistent with the size of your kitchen and you are probably not going to want to store things in the cabinets where the seating is located.

Builders also tend to push floor tile that is HUGE mainly because it costs them less labor to install. LARGE floor tile is also more prone to cracking over time as a result of uneven adhesive application or settling of the foundation.

Won't repeat a lot of the others things various posters have already said. Clearly if working within a budget, you will need to pick/choose those things you really want/need vs. something that is just nice to have. I would prioritize the things that make sense for your budget, how you plan to live and use your new home.
No island for us. I’m not a fan. And no backsplash. I’m not into trends although I do think some look great. Others I have seen are too busy.

All electric is a personal choice. One I wouldn't make. During Hurricane Florence, we were out of power for 4 days, but we had hot water from our natural gas-powered hot water heater. If I'd had a gas stove, I could have cooked, too.

Now we have a whole-house generator--I think DH felt guilty because he was locked in at work while I held down the fort for 5 days (without power for the first four). It's powered by natural gas.

Some people live where this is less of an issue--I mentioned up-thread that some nearby neighborhoods have underground power lines. So, if the OP has that, he can go with whatever type of heating or cooling he likes. But, I would also consider the entire state of Florida to be a hurricane zone, so he needs to consider that he'll get hit, sooner or later.
Well, we don't have Hurricanes here. But my wife's stepmother lives outside Houston and after Hurricane Rita it took 8 weeks for the natural gas service to be restored, 5 weeks for electricity and cable to be restored. Landline phone never went out, go figure.
But they had a small Honda generator and a Coleman camp stove for a few lights and cooking.

Well, we don't have Hurricanes here. But my wife's stepmother lives outside Houston and after Hurricane Rita it took 8 weeks for the natural gas service to be restored, 5 weeks for electricity and cable to be restored. Landline phone never went out, go figure.
But they had a small Honda generator and a Coleman camp stove for a few lights and cooking.
Electric heat can also be REALLY expensive. I know the OP is in Florida, so he'd probably have a heat pump--but using electric to pay for A/C would also be a humongous expense. We always used heating oil to heat the house when we lived up north, but in one house, we had a huge rec room over the garage that was heated by electric (it had been added on). We generally kept it at 50. Luckily, it had a wood stove, so if there was a snow day, I'd go up early and fire that up, and make it toasty so the kids could play up there. I could also cook off the wood stove (and did, during one blizzard)--typically, though, I'd have water on it to humidify the air--wood heat is very drying--and then I'd make the kids hot cocoa.

At any rate, the OP should investigate different options, and choose what works best for his family.

I recognize that some places aren't hurricane hot spots, but Florida definitely is. And it might not affect you, personally, but I remember Hurricane Irene (2012), which wreaked havoc on Vermont--a landlocked state.

In a hot climate, central air and netting to keep the bugs out.

On a more fanciful note, I would LOVE a killer cinema system in the basement, leather arm chairs, projector, 7.1 surround system system, blu ray player etc.

Electric heat can also be REALLY expensive. I know the OP is in Florida, so he'd probably have a heat pump--but using electric to pay for A/C would also be a humongous expense. We always used heating oil to heat the house when we lived up north, but in one house, we had a huge rec room over the garage that was heated by electric (it had been added on). We generally kept it at 50. Luckily, it had a wood stove, so if there was a snow day, I'd go up early and fire that up, and make it toasty so the kids could play up there. I could also cook off the wood stove (and did, during one blizzard)--typically, though, I'd have water on it to humidify the air--wood heat is very drying--and then I'd make the kids hot cocoa.

At any rate, the OP should investigate different options, and choose what works best for his family.

I recognize that some places aren't hurricane hot spots, but Florida definitely is. And it might not affect you, personally, but I remember Hurricane Irene (2012), which wreaked havoc on Vermont--a landlocked state.
Yes, your electric and natural gas rates are going to be a huge factor. I live in one of the areas with the lowest electric rates in the nation. I've never seen an AC unit that wasn't electric. Heaters, yes. I have a Heat Pump.

Well, then, it shouldn't be right outside my window either according to that website.

My neighbors in a previous home had a portable generator that they would hookup and operate in the garage with the garage door open.

Then your former neighbors are danged lucky to be alive. Fuel-fed generators with motors (the noisy ones) generate carbon monoxide; they need generous ventilation space, and should never be used under a roof. (However, you are correct that they also should never be near a window into a dwelling; unless you built your house after theirs, you could probably sue to make them move it away from your home.)

Underground cables are irrelevant in terms of the need for generators in Florida; in the case of a hurricane strike, whole counties lose power for weeks on end if the power stations or primary transmission towers are knocked out, which they usually are. One solution that has become very popular in hurricane zones now is not a generator but a backup battery fed by rooftop solar panels; the Tesla PowerWall is the most popular. Powerwalls can used without solar panels as well; they can also store energy taken from the grid. If you think this is a possibility that you might want to consider, even if you don't install it now, I'd think about reinforcing the roof to take the weight of solar panels, and also wiring connections for panels and a whole-house battery while the walls are still exposed. (Note to the OP, if you are considering ever adding solar, and your new home is served by Florida Power & Light, read up on the current Florida Power & Light proposal making its way through the Florida legislature. If passed, it will have major ramifications for residential solar energy.) I'd also, as a PP suggested, add vehicle plug-in outlets to your garage, just in case. If nothing else, they may be helpful when the house is eventually sold.

I would also agree about designing the home as much as possible to accommodate aging-in-place; though there is no need to trick it out like a nursing home with grab bars all over the place just yet, but as a PP also noted, adding in wall structure and anchors with sufficient strength for them will likely save you a lot of aggravation later. If you don't like the higher toilets, know that toilet-height booster rings are cheap and easy to slip into place when needed, but many people consider them unsightly; things to think about. Do put lever handles instead of knobs on all your doors, though; that's just good design. And try to eliminate raised thresholds wherever you can; my MIL stopped coming to our home for the final 5 years of her life because she could not comfortably navigate the 3-inch step from the walkway to the house, and she HATED being assisted over it.

PPs have noted quite a lot of the aging-in-place issues, so I won't repeat; but one topic that I have not seen mentioned is contrast in kitchen/bath design. As we age, our ability to judge depth-of-field in similar-color backgrounds decreases a LOT. What that means in practice is that older people frequently have more problems with falls, spills, and container breakage in kitchens/baths that have floors, walls, and countertops done in the same/similar color, because they cannot clearly discern the demarcation between horizontal and vertical surfaces. This causes accidents such as burns from missing the edge of a stove when setting down a hot pot, because the color of the cooktop, the countertop, the cabinet fronts, and the color of the floor below it are nearly the same. Designing your kitchen and bath so that there is the highest color contrast you are comfortable with between adjacent horizontal/vertical surfaces adds considerably to safety. (However, you don't want to create contrast in your floor colors between rooms; that can lead to falls because of a perceived step where none actually exists.) This site has a nice summary of most of the design issues related to visual acuity: Aging in Place: Stylish, Affordable Ways to Make Your Home Safer | Bottom Line Inc

PS: One rather cool little feature I saw recently might be great for someone older: a fireproof pass-through door from the garage to the pantry, if they share a wall. Where feasible, it lets you drastically shorten the distance that groceries need to be carried.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter