• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

im moving to orlando...

thanks to everyones positive and not so positive imput so far. i am excited to move there. i am going up on the 15th to check out some places and this windermere is looking to be a nice lil suburb il look into

We own a townhome off of Reams Road which is the road running behind the back gate and CM parking lot of MK. Her mailing address is Windermere. (Reams Road runs off of route 535 if you want to find it on a map). Our CM daughter lives there and we visit frequently. It is a wonderful area!! Very close to WDW, obviously, and yet you don't feel like you're in the midst of the parks all the rime. There are numerous, lovely townhome developments along Reams Road (The Townhomes at Lake Reams, Oasis Cove), also some great homes too (Independence and Summerport). Follow the road a few miles and you come to the new Winter Garden Village Shopping area. This is a GREAT place to shop. There is also a huge new Publix and a nice Walgreens along this road. If you want to be close to the parks and not have to cope with lots of traffic, tolls, etc, this is the place to be.

I think the word 'different' is definitely correct when it comes to WDW magic when you live in the area. The magic definitely doesn't disappear though--you just experience things differently. We make sure to use our DVC points several times a year so we experience the 'staying on property' magic too.

Feel free to send me a PM if you need any more information.

I lived in Kissimmee, Florida for 9 years. I can say that if you go to Disney too much you will get "Disneyed out". Yes, as hard as it may to believe it I got tired of it. Maybe it's because you go so much and just get bored of it. I would suggest going every now and then and not all the time.

Then Windermere is definitely a great choice. They love it there, literally 3 turns to get on WDW property. The main road that they take to WDW (the name isn't coming to me) is getting re-vamped for more lanes which they say will make getting around even easier. Look into it for sure! My aunt can literally watch Wishes from her backyard!:love:

Definetly one of the nicer areas in the Central Florida area. Was pricey though from what I can remember.

I am so jealous. I eventually want to move over to Orlando, I think it is a lot prettier area than pinellas county. I have to wait till my daughter graduates next year she is hoping to get to go to UCF in 2010 after graduation.

I don't think I would ever lose the magic. I know i will still plan stays on disney property.

Good luck.

I am so jealous. I eventually want to move over to Orlando, I think it is a lot prettier area than pinellas county. I have to wait till my daughter graduates next year she is hoping to get to go to UCF in 2010 after graduation.

I don't think I would ever lose the magic. I know i will still plan stays on disney property.

Good luck.

the orlando area definetly has some nicer neighborhoods and well as some slum neighborhoods just like every big city. one area i partically like in orlando is Winter Park and also Dr. Phillips which is near Universal.

1) We live 15-minutes from the parking lot.
2) Yes, proximity does reduce the magic.
3) That is why Florida Resident Passes and tickets are cheap.
4) You do get a little tired of it.
5) We do the parks at least 1-2 times per month.
6) It is nice and there is some magic, but different than a once-per-year trip.

NOTE: We find that Orlando is nice because of the amount of daily sunshine, and few "gray" skies in winter. But, you need to hunt around to find areas you like for areas and activities. It is like any other big city - good areas, terrible areas, and many in between.

Couldn't agree more. Orlando is probably the worst city I've ever lived in. A real definition of a depressing city. And I use the word "city" lightly. It's not really a city, its just a collection of theme parks, strip malls and gated communities. No life, no character, nothing to do.

I guess it all depends on your outlook. I find plenty to do here. I'm very involved in many different things beyond the theme parks. I absolutely love Orlando.

To me, it is not the least bit depressing. I'm not trying to start anything, but I see you are from LA. I feel about LA the way you feel about Orlando. LA to me is dirty and over crowded. So, it appears it is all about what you are looking for in life. I'm glad you are happy in LA. I'm very happy in Orlando.

Then Windermere is definitely a great choice. They love it there, literally 3 turns to get on WDW property. The main road that they take to WDW (the name isn't coming to me) is getting re-vamped for more lanes which they say will make getting around even easier. Look into it for sure! My aunt can literally watch Wishes from her backyard!:love:

okay heres a great question... windermere or lake buena vista area? i wanna be as close as possible to tha mouse house. watching wishes everynight from my yard would be amazing!

i found a place in l.b.v. called sabal palms apartments. if anyone has heard anything good or bad lemme know.

thanks again

Skip

okay heres a great question... windermere or lake buena vista area? i wanna be as close as possible to tha mouse house. watching wishes everynight from my yard would be amazing!

i found a place in l.b.v. called sabal palms apartments. if anyone has heard anything good or bad lemme know.

thanks again

Skip

Windermere is a great place to live. I could watch Wishes every night if I wanted to do so. There are not a lot of apartments in Windermere. There are townhomes for sale.

I really don't know anything about the Sabel Palms apartments.

I will tell you that after a couple of months, I really doubt you will run out to watch Wishes each night. It's nice having the option, but I rarely watch them anymore unless it is a special night such as the 4th of July. There are many nights that I don't remember even hearing them. You get used to it.

The magic will be there if you let it. It all depends on how you take it. If you do start to feel burnt out, just take some time off. Before long you will get the urge to go again and the magic will be back. :wizard:

I don't know anything about Sabal Palms either--although I do recognize the name. I'm not sure exactly where 'feralpeg' lives, but from my daughter's (technically our) townhome on Reams Road we, too, can watch Wishes every night from our back yard. Admittedly we can't hear the music but we can see the majority of the show. As Feralpeg says, after a while you don't dash out to the backyard each evening to watch the fireworks--but just knowing you can if you want to is exciting! We can also hear the train whistle from the MK. Personally, I LOVE to hear that whistle--don't know why but it's magical to me.

I agree, I don't think there are too many apartments in the area--although there is that one apartment development directly behind the CM parking lot (can't remember the name). There are townhomes for rent tho--I know several of my daughters CM friends rent townhomes in her development.

Wish I could tell you about the schools. I haven't dealt with that issue.

I don't know anything about Sabal Palms either--although I do recognize the name. I'm not sure exactly where 'feralpeg' lives, but from my daughter's (technically our) townhome on Reams Road we, too, can watch Wishes every night from our back yard. Admittedly we can't hear the music but we can see the majority of the show. As Feralpeg says, after a while you don't dash out to the backyard each evening to watch the fireworks--but just knowing you can if you want to is exciting! We can also hear the train whistle from the MK. Personally, I LOVE to hear that whistle--don't know why but it's magical to me.

I agree, I don't think there are too many apartments in the area--although there is that one apartment development directly behind the CM parking lot (can't remember the name). There are townhomes for rent tho--I know several of my daughters CM friends rent townhomes in her development.

Wish I could tell you about the schools. I haven't dealt with that issue.

again thank you so much for the info!

Living near Sea World (we had one here once upon a time) never got old for me. Went as a kid, took my kids all the time. I just loved Sea World.

It's different when you live there and can do it whenever you want. It isn't the big fun you get when you've left home and traveled to take a vacation. There's no, "Oh, my God! I'm HERE!!!"

But if you like theme parks for regular recreation, as I do, I don't see how living near them could ever get old.

I'd kill to live near Orlando. A warm place with theme parks...sounds like heaven to me.

Speaking as someone who lives next door to Disney (Celebration, close enough to hear Illuminations every night), I say the Magic increases! I was worried that it would be lost, but after more than four years it's in full bloom in our household. Imagine being able to run over to Disney for dinner when the whim takes you or to pop over to one of the theme parks for a couple of hours when you need a pick-me-up. When we used to come down on vacation, around midway through the depression would set in: "Only four more days...only three more...only two more." Now, when we're eating at a Disney hotel (last night was Sanaa and the night before was Jiko) and we see the sad people sitting out front waiting to go back to the airport, I realize how lucky we are. We NEVER have to "go home!" A dose of Disney is literally minutes away any time.

Speaking as someone who lives next door to Disney (Celebration, close enough to hear Illuminations every night), I say the Magic increases! I was worried that it would be lost, but after more than four years it's in full bloom in our household. Imagine being able to run over to Disney for dinner when the whim takes you or to pop over to one of the theme parks for a couple of hours when you need a pick-me-up. When we used to come down on vacation, around midway through the depression would set in: "Only four more days...only three more...only two more." Now, when we're eating at a Disney hotel (last night was Sanaa and the night before was Jiko) and we see the sad people sitting out front waiting to go back to the airport, I realize how lucky we are. We NEVER have to "go home!" A dose of Disney is literally minutes away any time.

I so agree with this!!! I can hear the fireworks from my house and I live 12 miles from the parks. I was at MK yesterday, probably will go to Epcot today.

i have had that same depression... no more counting down days.thats somthing i didnt think of. thats an incredible way to look at it! now i am more excited than ever! i will have annual passes to all the parks around!!! i lived by busch gardens for 2 years and it never got old so i dont think getting old willbe a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter