I'm scared.

Gracie&7dorks

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are scheduled to go to the World this Saturday for a week. We usually go, been there many times, when it is hot and this time it will be a during a cold spell. Be both get cold easily and I have packed long johns, hats, gloves and various layers of clothing. Should I buy us windbreakers?

We can reschedule this trip without any penalties and we're now considering to reschedule.

Any thoughts?

I am in the same boat you are I have always gone in summer but never winter

Packing tons of layers and blanket for Resort room

Bring what you think is best. We went in December in 2010 and it was so cold we needed winter coats, gloves, hats extra shirts and socks, we were still cold! But it was a record cold that year so I don't think it will be that cold. I would not cancel your trip just pack a little bit of everything even clothes for warm weather. Maybe check the weather and then decide.

I think this is actually good news! Just pack warm clothes! You'll be fine - honestly my favorite December trip was during a cold spell. I was there Dec. 20th-23rd and it was so empty. I think the temps kept the locals away. I have a picture of my friend and I basically by ourselves at the Osborne Lights on Dec. 22nd! We dressed in layers and brought backpacks so we could alter our wardrobe throughout the day. We packed winter coats, mittens, and hats.

My husband and I are scheduled to go to the World this Saturday for a week. We usually go, been there many times, when it is hot and this time it will be a during a cold spell. Be both get cold easily and I have packed long johns, hats, gloves and various layers of clothing. Should I buy us windbreakers?

We can reschedule this trip without any penalties and we're now considering to reschedule.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't reschedule (but I'm a stubborn new englander, if some freak blizzard hit orlando i'd be shoveling my own path to CRT if need be).

I'm not sure where you're from, but as long as the sun is out and the winds are less than 10 miles an hour, daytime highs of 60 aren't usually that bad...at least that's what weather channel has on the 10 day. You may only need the gloves in the morning and evening.

If I was down in that weather, I'd be wearing a pullover/zipup fleece or something like that with a long sleeve shirt and jeans. The long term forecast has temps rising back into the 70s by Thursday.

I would not reschedule. I'm in Jacksonville and we will have rain through Saturday morning then just crisp fall type days (high about 60, lows 40ish). The local Orlando stations are calling for about the same there, maybe a tad warmer. Looks like it is suppose to be back to 70 by next Thursday, sounds like it's going to perfect to me! We were there last weekend and it was beautiful, lots of sun, but got up to 75-80 during the day. In the bright sunshine, it felt really hot, we were sweating!!

Windbreakers aren’t a bad idea. Only thing that saved me from freezing while volunteering for the 5k January 2015 was the windbreaker they gave the volunteers! I think hi I had warm enough clothing but that wind whipping through, carrying the water from the swamp that is Wdw, is just bone chilling.

Our first trip was December 2010. Coulda used a wind breaker then, too. Brr.

Wow. that's a lot of layers you are planning! It is 34f here today as a high. We will be at our average which is 18f this weekend. Florida's cold spell would have us in a sweather, a windbreaker, and maybe light /thin gloves for at night or standing in lines. It isn't as fun as the warm weather we all expect but maybe it will mean a less crowded park? I would still go. have a good time

Reschedule because it's going to be in the 50s or 60s during the day and upper 30s at night? Certainly up to you 100%, but that's a bit extreme of a reaction for me, I wouldn't even consider rescheduling (and I hate the cold). During the day, I'd be fine. At night, I'd have an extra warm pair of socks, a light jacket and I'd be good to go...well, besides feeling really strange walking around WDW in that type of clothes.

I would have 3 layers available- but maybe not on at all times. A long shirt plus a hoodie can go a long way on a 40 degree day, but that same shirt and a windbreaker may be more comfortable as it approaches 60.

I was out in similar weather last January. Jeans and a t-shirt/hoodie were plenty. I'd just carry the hoodie midday and put it on as the sun went down.

Cooler weather will be excellent for all that walking!

I wouldn't reschedule (but I'm a stubborn new englander, if some freak blizzard hit orlando i'd be shoveling my own path to CRT if need be).

Another stubborn New Englander here. I'm with you. I remember one trip in February it was in the 40's for a couple days and it was great because it scared all the locals away :laughing: I wouldn't mind some cold weather during our trip next month :p

qVDp8mJ.jpg

Here we are - a bunch of Canadians visiting Universal Orlando in December 2010.

Yes, it was cold. We were very surprised to find ourselves still in the winter jackets and toques we'd worn to the airport!

However, it was also the BEST vacation you can possibly imagine, and if I were to be visiting again and heard that a cold snap was expected, I'd throw a party on the spot.

Why? Because this was right after Hogsmeade opened (remember the lines all the way out the highway?) and despite that Universal Studios was deserted. Almost no lines for anything, and hardly anyone anywhere, even in the Harry Potter section of the park. The place was like a ghost town in the mornings. Ever fantasize about having the parks all to yourself? Well, this is how it happens.

As far as practical advice re dressing warm... I highly recommend warm hats and light gloves. You don't need a heavy coat, and in fact layers (t-shirt, shirt, sweater, light windbreaker) will give you a lot more flexibility to adjust if you start feeling overheated. You don't want to start sweating when it's cold out - that'll chill you faster than anything. And if you decide to wear long johns, count that as an extra layer - ie, if you would normally wear four layers up top, you can cut it back to three when you've got long johns on.

Scarves are completely unnecessary (we were just showing out love for Hogwarts!).

Honestly, you sound well prepared and I think you'll have a marvelous time!

What about bringing a packable down puffer coat- LL Bean has great ones that are super warm but very light and squish way down so easy to stuff into a backpack once it warms up.

I'm heading there next week and have been keeping track of the weather, looks like highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's.

I live in Chicago and honestly am looking forward to a "cold" Disney World trip. Been when it was 95 and mid-80's in the last 2 years and this will be a nice change of pace.

Bring layers, gloves, get a locker if you need to. I'm excited to see the holiday decorations and honestly, highs in the 60's sounds much better for park time than 90's, humid, and an hour of storms a day!

Any thoughts?

Go all this cold will do is make the locals stay at home to stay warm. What most people think of as to cold and what Florida residents are very different. On our 2nd trip we went in Feb and the temp for the next week or so mirror what we had. I put the girl in a sweater in the morning, she was fine in the afternoon (We are from Kansas City so a temp of 60 is short sleeve weather) and on out Illuminations night I had to go across the street and buy her a Rose & Crown hoodie.

You’ll be fine! Like everyone else has said bring some layers. A light jacket. It’s going to be beautiful with all of the Christmas decorations and you’ll be at Disney! We leave Saturday and are just doing what everyone else has said. We are from Louisiana and we are pretty cold and rainy right now. Expecting some snow flurries tomorrow, so I’ll take that Disney weather!

I wouldn't reschedule. The cooler weather has enough advantages to make it a wash over the warmer weather. Besides, you can't ever rely on the weather forecast. We go every year in either early December or late January. Last year they were calling for 60's and rain almost every day (that was in the days leading up to the trip, not a long range forecast) and we had 7 straight days of high 70's and uninterrupted sun.

The winter time in Florida is the best time to go (in my opinion). The weather is perfect there. The thick humidity is gone, and the temperatures average around mid-70's!

No need to be "scared" of the weather forecast, just pack layers and a jacket and you'll be fine!

Bring layers. If you are looking at lows in the 30s or 40s, bring hats and gloves. And go for it. Nothing to be scared about. A lot of folks will stay away and you won't have to deal with crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter