In Every Run That Must Be Done; There is an Element of Fun (comments welcome)

34 Days Until: TC Loony Challenge

I haven’t had a double digit run since June 11, when I ran 11 miles and it was amazing.

Yesterday’s virtual half marathon run was less amazing, but I did finish, and it wasn’t my slowest half (by moving time) ever, so I can’t complain too much. I did it as an out-and-back, so I knew that as long as I made it to the halfway point, I’d finish the miles.

I started with my normal 30r/45w intervals, but I was a bit fast, so I switched to 30r/60w to maintain a slower pace. When I did my 11 mile run on this route, I noticed that I had gotten sort of close to where the trail crossed the road I grew up on, so when I was getting about to where I turned around on the 11 miler, I checked Google Maps to see if I was going to get close to my old street, and it looked like I would, so I was kind of excited. As it turned out, I had to go about a quarter mile past the road to hit the turnaround spot. I stopped for a selfie with the street sign on the way back.
E8EBE159-8AC5-49A7-B8E2-553B7CFB47DE.jpg

Just past the 7 mile mark, I found a nice bench and took a short break to eat the waffle I’d brought with me. This might’ve been a mistake, because after that point, I had trouble getting back into the running groove. I did take a couple other breaks, one to stretch, and one to rest my back, which was killing me because I’m out of shape. But I finished, and I didn’t die or injure myself, so I’m going to call it a win.
A8D4BDD5-4535-422F-8886-6FC3C48F0E70.jpg

For the TC Loony Challenge, the only race that I have a real time limit on is the 10K, since I need to finish fast enough to start the 5K afterward, so I’ve changed the remaining speed workouts (one per week) in the schedule to regular mileage, but at 10K pace. A lot of my neighborhood runs lately have been close to 10K pace, but only 3-4 miles.

My active recovery from yesterday’s run was 2+ hours of shoveling and carrying wood chips from a bunch of trees we had cut down and mulched. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend this recovery method, but it’s what my grandma needed done, and she subsidizes my running addiction 😄😄

The view from my breakfast break bench yesterday was really nice, both in front of and behind the bench.
C45E9B9F-0395-4C77-B7C7-471102B6EB6C.jpg
2B37D212-8641-4594-8DFC-4B935BAE29FE.jpg

24 Days Until: TC Loony Challenge

Well, I haven’t done as much running as I’d like since my virtual half marathon (in which I was 7 of 9 finishers—my inner Trekkie is thrilled)

This was a morning run that was cut short because my shoe kept coming untied and I couldn’t get back into the running groove. I ended up walking a mile home 🫤🫤
289CF1E9-4E4B-4F01-A78D-B9169DCA58BC.jpg

This run was a night run that was cut short on account of the massive amount of bugs attracted to my light. I can’t breathe if I’m choking on bugs.
35E25F38-112F-417E-A089-CE03D55B41F7.jpg

This run was perfectly fine. Except it got a little dark faster than I was expecting because some clouds rolled in. I also question the accuracy of the first 2 miles because the first one seemed to end too soon, and the second one definitely ended too late, even more so if it was measuring from where the first one ended. But the overall mileage for the route is within .03 of the last time I ran this route, so the overall pace is just fine.
DF23780C-53A1-44CA-AD05-4380DEA66D76.jpg

It was super hot last week, and I was more than a little sore after the under-trained half I did on the 26th. I’ve got bruising under the nail of my left big toe, but it doesn’t bother me when I walk or run, so I’m not too worried about it. It’s finally cooled down outside today, and I’m really looking forward to my run tomorrow, when the forecasted HIGH is 72°F (that was the low for most of the last week). I was supposed to do 10K pace yesterday, but once the forecast came out I was like, “no, I think I’ll do that Thursday instead, thanks”

Since I’m not as trained as I’d like to be, I’ve been doing worst-case-scenario math for the TC 10K, which is the only race of the Loony Challenge with a real time limit for me, since I want to start the 5K with the rest of the 5K runners at 8:45. Last year, when I set my 10K PR, I had about 13 minutes between when I stopped my run for the 10K and when I started my run for the 5K. My 10K pace was 12:15, meaning I could go as slow as 14:00 and still start the 5K on time. I don’t want to go that slow. I don’t think I’d have any problem maintaining at least 13:00 for the 10K, giving me 6 or 7 minutes to stand around and catch my breath before the 5K. And the 5K, I can just walk, if I want to because it’s got a really long time limit. Same with the 10 Miler the next day, I only have to be as fast as the slowest marathoner (who also start an hour after the 10 Miler)

Of course, I might not need all this math, but it’s good to have it in my head. This week will be a good test, I have a 6 mile 10K pace run tomorrow, then a 6 mile easy run Saturday and a 9 mile easy run Sunday, and the weather is going to be good for all of it. I’ll also get to experience my first glasses-free runs this weekend because I’m getting LASIK on Friday 🥳

We have a new wild resident, who will likely be forcibly (but humanely) evicted at some point in the near future—meet Professor Ratigan! He’s dug himself quite the lair behind the rock wall, judging by all the dirt (most of which is not pictured) and I’ve seen him chase chipmunks, so he’s not very polite.
23A0C1C1-8200-4C59-92DA-309465B847D4.jpg

23 Days Until: TC Loony Challenge

I am…rather less worried about completing the TC 10K in the time I need to 😁😁 I guess all I needed was for summer to end (at least temporarily, I’m not dumb enough to believe that the heat is gone for good)
984B25C2-51D7-4283-9D06-9527922BF5AA.jpg

Even with the minute I paused to stretch out a side stitch, I blew away my 10K PR. I didn’t really mean to run so fast, but after the first mile I was like “well, let’s see if I can do 2 miles…” then it was “maybe I can do this until the halfway mark?” After the halfway point, I paused to stretch out a side stitch, then I tried to run slower on the way back to the car, but that only lasted for a mile and I was back to 5K pace again. So I said “screw it, let’s just do whatever”

The only annoying thing about the run tonight was the big pack of cyclists that passed me in both directions, forcing me to eat their dust (and also pause at the top of the only hill on the route because they decided it was acceptable to stop and block the trail)

At the start of my run, I saw this rather precarious tree.
0865DFD3-BA76-4FF3-A73D-F2CADD4A44E6.jpg

And at the end of my run, I saw a lovely sunset over a cornfield
7BEFDCD0-776B-4196-9AE1-7F615DC1DAA3.jpg

Since it’s cooled down, the chipmunks have been very active and Peter, in particular, has been begging for food at the patio door on a regular basis. Of course, he wouldn’t have to work so hard if he hadn’t decided to move all the way to the neighbor’s yard (which is doubly stupid because they have cats that are outdoors sometimes).
57380420-EFC6-4BC8-A963-BDA6DF462049.jpg
24F12BDE-016F-420C-8A6C-E5ED0D2A1CB9.jpg
91C0DBB3-860C-451E-A923-A3410E0CC837.jpg
CD424B36-9AC9-49B5-BC5B-96BF786D0590.jpg

18 Days Until: TC Loony Challenge

Yesterday’s run didn’t go as well as last Thursday’s, but it got done, and the average pace was right on, so I guess that’s good enough.

I didn’t get a chance to run over the weekend because I had a follow up for my LASIK procedure and a lot of yard work to do. So I cancelled Saturday’s run and moved Sunday’s run to Monday.
2AE37B32-8748-4036-87CA-050892FAD27C.jpg
CE8AC49C-EB5C-40BE-B73C-8EF7EC60C806.jpg

My scheduled Sunday run was 9 miles, and my mileage tracker had a special badge for doing 9.11 miles on 9/11, so I obviously added the extra .11 miles, because what’s the difference at that point?
50337C98-9904-436A-8A79-2499011B836C.jpg

It was a very nice evening, and my first glasses-free run. I had a little trouble with the ground seeming further away than usual, which is a problem I occasionally had when I’d walk outside without glasses (to get the mail or to my car in a parking lot when it was raining) but I didn’t have any problems seeing where I was going or avoiding obstacles (like crushed berries all over the path)
9409E8B2-B9DF-4702-A1A6-63B24A6B80B4.jpg

I barely made it back to my car before dark, I finished just at sundown, and it got dark really fast.
8C155423-E8D5-4EE1-8642-5B3FED3AE033.jpg

12 Days Until: TC Loony Challenge

I ran just over 3.6 miles last Tuesday, and that’s the last run I completed. I felt awful on Thursday, and then I just couldn’t find motivation to get out on Saturday or Sunday (but I did spend 6 hours trimming trees) I’m basically counting on adrenaline and race day excitement to keep me alive next weekend. I just did 9 miles on Monday, so I know I can get through Saturday, it’s just the back-to-back I’m not 100% on.

One annoying change to the TC Loony Challenge is that I have to turn in my gear bag for the Sunday 10 Miler at the Expo on Friday, which means I have to have 2 gear bags and that throws off my whole routine.

I’m basically counting on adrenaline and race day excitement to keep me alive next weekend. I just did 9 miles on Monday, so I know I can get through Saturday, it’s just the back-to-back I’m not 100% on.
You can do it! Honestly that's not a long enough break to make a big difference in your fitness, so you should be fine.

One annoying change to the TC Loony Challenge is that I have to turn in my gear bag for the Sunday 10 Miler at the Expo on Friday, which means I have to have 2 gear bags and that throws off my whole routine.
That's weird! Normally my gear bag includes stuff I want before the race but not during, so that would be really annoying.

You can do it! Honestly that's not a long enough break to make a big difference in your fitness, so you should be fine.

That's weird! Normally my gear bag includes stuff I want before the race but not during, so that would be really annoying.
I’d be fine with the gear bag thing if the 10 Miler was my only race, but I need stuff for the 10K/5K on Saturday too.

9 Days Until: TC Loony Challenge

Well, I finally got out for a run. It was a lunchtime run, which meant that there was absolutely no shade and I was pretty well overheated by the end of 2 miles, but I still finished the other mile and a half.
98A7A1A0-A05C-4DF0-B15F-C16BB91318F8.jpg

In a very annoying turn of events, my aunt will be coming to stay with us Monday evening and not leaving until Friday morning next week, which is NOT how I’d like to spend a week before my big race weekend. She’s a smoker, and even though she only smokes outside when she’s here, there’s a constant cloud of it around her. Plus, she’s going to have her dog with her, and that’s going to stress out my cats. Anybody have any good tips to drive away unwanted guests? JK 🤣🤣

I’ve been meaning to post a pic of my virtual half marathon medal that I earned at the end of August
D32C6274-6444-469D-9B91-C231E52273F7.jpg

That is an awesome medal!! I need to look into this 😀

As to unwanted house guests - how do you feel lately? You don't feel a slight cold coming on, do you? It would be terrible to get your aunt sick? And I'm sure you'll make a miraculous recovery before race day 😆

1 Day Until: TC Loony Challenge

A day in which I learned it’s way more fun to go to a race expo with your grandma 🤣🤣
4AD60606-5316-46D6-AD30-9D08EAEFCC13.jpg

I haven’t run since last Saturday morning, when I ran 5 miles at a 13:08 pace in about the same conditions as tomorrow will be and didn’t die, so I probably won’t die this weekend either. But it’s still awful that our forecasted lows are supposed to be our average highs for this time of year. I’m just happy it doesn’t seem like it will be full-on sunny.

But if it does end up sunny, I’m all set for it with my new Goodr sunglasses (a gift from my grandma at the expo)
786F36E6-5050-494A-BAE7-060BC0760F34.jpg

I also got some Captain America racedots (my grandma donated the last $1 I needed for the cash discount). They had a lot of cute designs, but I figured these wouldn’t ever really look upside down.
3D816D60-E2B8-4957-B9E2-E5850D98D7FD.jpg

I also got my 2 race shirts and my challenge swag, which was a nifty vest this year.

5K/10K shirt
8334DDA8-CE1E-411B-AF23-A38DB14A1819.jpg

10 Miler shirt
DC315EB6-5431-42B5-B074-D55A7D1CAD94.jpg

Loony vest
41AEFD67-1AF9-4356-BD7F-4D4E79603764.jpg

I’ve been trying to pre-hydrate as much as I can stand, including drinking one bottle of my DripDrop electrolyte stuff each day for the 3 days leading up to the races. I’m bringing my cooling towel in a running belt on Sunday and I’ll drench it at a water stop, loop it around my neck, and hang the tail down the back of my shirt if I start feeling too warm. I’m not aiming for any PRs, or even setting any time goals, other than finishing the 10K in less than 90 minutes so I can start the 5K on time. I know I have until the slowest marathoner finishes to finish the 10 miler, so that’s no big deal. Plus, the best cheering sections are in the last few miles, so that will be a big energy boost (last year, I went from running a miserable 14+ pace down to 12-13 (and a 10 minute pace for the last 3 tenths of a mile of the race)

One other thing from the expo—there was a booth for a race in November called the Chocoholic Frolic, and I spun a wheel and won a coupon for $5 off the registration. When I looked at the course, I realized that my grandma and I had basically driven right along the course today on our way to go shopping after the expo, and it seemed pretty flat, and right along the Mississippi River in St Paul, so I went ahead and signed up for the 10K. I had a 3 mile run and a 7 mile run on my schedule for that weekend anyway, so why not get some swag (and chocolate—including 2 on-course treats) and race on a mostly-flat course (just 1 big hill to do in both directions, and you get to immediately go back down) in a probably-cold month.

I spent most of this week (when I wasn’t working) hiding from my aunt’s cigarette smoke in my room, where I thankfully have a small couch. Lucy joined me there in order to hide from my aunt’s dog, and really enjoyed how short the back of the couch was, so she could get right in my face when she wanted attention.
1696032215922.jpeg

A new wrinkle has arisen: the power went out at about 8:30pm 😨 It’s supposed to come back at about 11:30pm, and I’ll have to stay up until then so I can get everything turned off. Which sucks because my alarm is set for 4:15am (have to leave by 5, 5:15 at the latest, to catch a 6:04 train to the starting line) Who needs sleep, right? 😵‍💫😵‍💫

EDIT: power came back at 10 after 10, so that’s one less worry.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter