IOA -is this for 9year olds??

shefor24

Mouseketeer
I read a post on the US-IOA board where someone said the draw back of IOA is that if you have kids that are 10 or under (I have twin girls- age 9) then there really isn't much for them to "do" there at IOA. Is this true? I really need some quick advise becasue we planned on 1 day at US and 1 day at IOA, but after reading that......I am so undecided on what to do? We were going to try to stay away from Disney this time and try and focus on US and IOA, but now I am thinking Epcot instead of IOA, but that is so much walking, and not much to "do" there either. How about Busch Gardens?? That is another option. Please help. Thanks

My DS10 had a great time at IOA. He actually liked IOA better than WDW. He likes thrill rides especially rollercoasters! He is taller than 52 inches which meant he could ride everything.

If your twins don't like thrill rides or are shorter than 42 inches there isn't alot for them to do. Check out www.universalstudios.com for more info. on rides and attractions. Good luck!:)

well... it depends if your kids like thril rides and are at least 52 inches tall. If there not that's still ok because they can ride the majority of the rides there. My DB is 9 and we just spent over three days at the Hard Rock with 3 day passes to USF and IOA. He liked it so much (me too!) that we only went to disney on one day!

IOA is a great place for kids anyway. There is Suess Landing, Toon Lagoon and all the rides in between. Plus at USF there's Woody Woodpeck's Kidzone and Curious George. But like I said earlier it all depends on the child. I dont konw about the guy's kid who said the stuff about the 9's not liking IOA but think it is a great place for kids.

:jester:

Like already said, if the kids like thrill rides and coasters they will love IOA. 9 ought to be old enough and tall enough to ride anything they've got if the kids want to ride. Seuss Landing is cute (I like it better than Fantasyland) but I think it could be finished in a couple of hours if it's not really busy, and 9 may be a little old for the playground. I saw two shows at IOA, neither of which I thought were very good, although some people love Poseidons Fury. Spiderman is thrilling but it doesn't really throw you around like a coaster does, it might be great for older kids. And if they like to get wet (I'm not talking about sprinkled with water, I'm talking SOAKED) then Popeye's Bilge Rat Barges will be right up their alley. I did not eat at Mythos but I have heard people calling it the best theme park restaurant they've ever tried.

The Mimimum height for The hulk and Dueling Dragons is 54 inches! They WILL measure your kid if he/she is close. I know this because I had a VERY disappointed 9yo who could not ride the hulk coaster. He happend to slip by on the Dueling Dragons and loved it!

DO NOT MISS SPIDERMAN!! My kids (me too!) LOVE this ride! Going there first next time!!!

The Water rides WILL get you wet! We wore poncho's and did fine.

If you can, get by The Dr. Seuss Birthday party! It was the day before my son's bd and everyone in the restaurant got cake. The kids got ballons.

Overall, we enjoyed all the rides in this park!:bounce:

Have fun!

Jacquelyn:D

it is not the 9 years old that is the issue it is the 54" height requirement for dragons and hulk. There is nothing in IOA that a 9 year old would not like, the question is are they tall enough to indulge??? :)

My 8 yo & 9 yo DSs LOVED IOA!! As a matter of fact we bought 3 day passes thinking we would use 2 and save 1 day for future visit, well we had to cancel a day at Disney to go back to IOA!! We were just there the week of 9/28 so feel free to email me any questions.

My daughters do not do roller coasters well. They liked the Junior Gemini at Cedar Point, but we took them on the Gemini at Cedar Point and boy did they have a cow!! They were quite upset I "made" them go on it. This rollercoaster- for those who aren't familiar, was a "biggie" maybe back in the early 80's, but now is still fun- for "old times sake" but not big compared to others at the Point. So maybe we better not go to IOA...... ?

My DD who is 9 1/2 absolutely love rollercoasters and thought IOA to be the best place ever. She also love Nickelodeon in US.... My 8 1/2 DS wasn't tall enough for Dueling Dragons , but he wore his sisters high heeled sandels and got on a few times. Yeah, but on the last try he was taken off the ride, with a bunch of tears. I think the hulk height requirement is a little less. Maybe 52"......My kids really liked IOA and US, we stayed at PBH and my 8 1/2 DS like swimming at the HRH pool best with the slide and basketball net. We just had to take a water taxi and there we were. Less walking. I have identical twins 13 also, they loved IOA and US.......These parks are louder than WDW, and have less walking. I found them to be more relaxing because there wasn't as much space to cover. Good luck deciding.

Shefor24, there are only two big coasters that your daughters might be afraid of. Someone mentioned the play areas, Nickolodeon and Curious George at US, Suess and the one in the Lost Continent at IOA. My daughter, age 10, went in the one at Lost Continent and we finally had to go in and drag her out of there. She was battling some other kids with a triceratops head that spit water, I don't think she even made it to the rest of the play area. They'll have fun, have no fear.

My kids loved IOA and Universal Studios! Last trip they were ages 5 + 10. We're going at the end of this month too! My now 12 year old is a defenite big coaster chicken but loves simulator type rides (spiderman).

At ISLAND OF ADVENTURE there is:
All of Seuss Land with it's rides and street show,

Lost Continent has the talking fountain (just a regular fountain but it's very humorous), The Sinbad show: very funny corny stunt type show;has some loud bangs.

Jurrassic Park has the Unicorn Rollercoaster (bigger than a kiddie coaster but still small, not sure of min heighth), Discovery Center, and Camp discovery (a play area with caves and bridges, cool; my kids LOVE play areas). Also in that area is a ride call (SP?) Pteranadon flyers but it is not worth a long wait, because the ride itself is so short. There is also the Jurassic Park ride which is a very cool ride but my has a huge hill at the end.

Toon Lagoon: Me ship, the Olive is a interactive play area and this whole area has some eye popping colors most kids really enjoy. I believe this area has a stadium show and defenitely a toon trolley street show. the characters sing and dance and sign autographs or pose for pictures. There are really fun photo ops here!

Marvel Super Hero: There are characters on the street (on and off) like Spiderman,Dr Doom, Captain America, etc. There is a tea cup like ride here call Storm Force (right now this ride appears to only be open on weekends).

I think your girls would have fun! Have a great time!

My four year old nephew loves IOA. He's unusally tall (52 inches) and is fearless. He rides Splash Mountains and Tower or Terror at WDW!!
As said before, there are only two big coasters at IOA. There are a LOT of things for a nine year old to enjoy there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter