Irritated by some renters - is it just me?

Pootle

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Okay, ready for flames:

I've read reams of stuff on renting vs not renting on these boards and don't feel strongly either way; in fact I did help a friend rent a few points last year and it worked well.

BUT still I feel irritated when renters post on these boards and want advice on the best rooms to request, can they get an upgrade etc? I read this as 'they would like to get better rooms/treatment than members!'.

Anyone else feel the same or want to have a 'go' at me for not feeling full of sunshine for everyone? ;)

Edited to add: Someone in another thread (I think it was Beca) believes that owners should receive priority for requests, followed by members and renters get what is left. ITA. How easy this would be to administer is another matter.

Some timeshares do give owners better rooms and views than traders. (Remember, it's not always easy for them to spot the renters--as opposed to traders--since reservations are made by the original owner and might be for a relative rather than a customer.) I think it's poor form to treat anyone like a steerage passenger, but that's just me.

I'm sure Disney sees renters as potential buyers; another reason not to treat them differently... from their perspective, at least.

They are scum and should be treated accordingly. I believe that large signs draped around their necks with twine that read "Not a member, just a poser" would probably do the trick.

:rotfl:

Montana Disney Fan said:
They are scum and should be treated accordingly. I believe that large signs draped around their necks with twine that read "Not a member, just a poser" would probably do the trick.
:rotfl:

I appreciated the joke, and as the day's wore on I've become less grumpy too!

rocketriter said:
.... I think it's poor form to treat anyone like a steerage passenger, but that's just me.

Well let's put it like this. When I fly I'm usually in coach. I don't think the airlines are treating me like a second class individual, it's just that those 'up front' have paid more, used more miles, whatever. They do not treat me badly - they just treat those who paid more or who fly regularly, better. What's wrong with that?

Moira, as if I could flame you! :wave:

I don't know about this issue. It's such a difficult one, but I think the way a lot of people want different things can help this not be an issue - for example some people are desperate for a ground floor apartment, others (like me) want a higher floor). Some want to be near the pool, some would do anything to not be near the pool ;)

That doesn't solve the problems of the rooms that nobody wants - the one at VWL with no balcony, the ones at the ends of 4 miles of corridors at BWV or the room I had at SSR last time with a stunning view off one side of a car park and an equally attractive view of a different car park from the other side ;) (If anyone here loves the locations of these rooms, that's great. I am simply using them as an example of rooms which the majority of people seem to not want).

I think, as a member I would like my requests to be more important than a non renter's. (I know this doesn't happen at present and might be difficult to implement anyway). But then If I was the member renting my points to someone and adding a request to the ressie, maybe I wouldn't? To make my points rental more attractive - "Oh sure Bob, I will add your non smoking, top floor, Epcot view request to the ressie I have made for you. No problem".

Bye for now :wizard:

Karen

I sent 9 family members to SSR and VB last week. This was probably their once in a lifetime trip to WDW. I would not have felt comfortable sending them, if I thought they would be treated any differently.

I do appreciate that Disney treats everyone with a little magic and pixie dust and no one should have to be reminded constantly how much they paid, or their membership status, or their choice of resort, just to make others feel better. I think WDW does this better than anyone in the hospitality industry. You will have a magical time no matter where you stay or whether you are a member or if you are at the GF or Pop.
The disparity is there, just not blasted at you with a loudspeaker. Most people dont even know what they are missing because they are having such a great time within the realms of their own vacation and that is what makes WDW such a wonderful place.
I like that BWV has guaranteed Boardwalk views, effectively ensuring members are given priority. If a member wants to rent that view or book it for guests, that is the members choice and not DVC's.

you are forgetting something.

for us going to WDW each and every year is going to happen. hey that is why we brought DVC in the first place.

for renters it can be their once in a lifetime trip. they want it to be extra special.

it generally isn't their only trip staying onsite. Most renters will rent again - but at the time they don't know that.

I have some - I can't believe it wonderul views!!!

I also have had the dumpster view, air-condition view, parking lot view.

but heck we will be back!!! next year we might just get that wonderful view again.

Pootle said:
Okay, ready for flames:

Edited to add: Someone in another thread (I think it was Beca) believes that owners should receive priority for requests, followed by members and renters get what is left. ITA. How easy this would be to administer is another matter.

Yep....I said it...and, I MEAN it!! So, if people flame you, their gonna have to flame me, too!!

I just get annoyed when I read the boards (it's now even posted on mousesavers.com) that renting from a DVC member is a great way to "stay deluxe at a value price"....then, when my mom goes "home" to VWL (her home resort) she is given the ONE studio with no balcony on her first (and so far, ONLY trip to VWL...she doesn't want to go back there). How fair is that?!!

I get a little "miffed" when people get a "bargain" off of others' very pricey investments. True, people can do what they want with their stuff....but, the "going rate" affects all of us...and frankly, it is just too low!!! Yesterday, I was looking to add a couple of nights to my March vacation because airfare was cheaper if I went on Friday instead of Sunday. I didn't want to have to borrow points, so I went looking for a cheap accomodation. The all-stars were $140 per night(including tax). They were also $140 per night on Sun-Thurs....the same nights that a studio at BCV was 14 per point....the EXACT same amount of money!!! Yet, when CRO rents those rooms, they were renting at $349 per night plus tax.

At $10 per point, we as owners are losing money (unless you bought in a LONG time ago). Even if you paid cash for your DVC, when you add-up the earnings potential of your initial investment (if the same money had been placed elsewhere)...you are losing. And, if you are one of the many who FINANCED your DVC....forget it!!!...you're losing a LOT of money!!!

Sometimes it strikes me as very odd how DVC can be considered a "good" investment when it is such a "bargain" to rent... a renter who knows how to "work the system" is really much smarter than us owners!! But, we are all a little "Disney crazy" and OWNING a piece of the mouse is important to us....so, the cost is worth it.

But, why should we have less-than-stellar views, get smoking rooms when we have asked for non, and get the ONE room without a balcony? You cannot tell me that there were NO renters at VWL that night!! There are ALWAYS renters....that room should not go to a DVC owner....ESPECIALLY a VWL owner.

Now that WDW has changed their AP discount to the "best rate" program....deals are not nearly as good. And, now that mousesavers.com has the "insider's deal" of renting points as the newest and best bargain on deluxe rooms at WDW...renting is not the "quiet little secret" that it used to be....it is big business. And yes, it would not surprise me if WDW didn't see this as "great advertisement" for getting people to buy in. WDW marketing is VERY smart!! I would not be surprised to learn that renters don't, in fact get BETTER rooms than owners...why? Because WDW (and Iger) have said that they are no longer going to build any new theme parks in the US....they are going to concentrate on China....and on EXTENDING their TIMESHARE industry in the US!!! DVC is making WDW a LOT of money!!!

DVC has the perfect set-up right now...all requests are "requests", and there are NO guidelines or "pecking order" for the rooms to be reserved....they have complete control over your rooms. It amazes me that the management could make a "unilateral" decision to go from "first reserved" to "room ready" without the consent of the owners....remember, DVC only owns 4%....they may be the largest owner, but they are FAR from a majority....owners should DEFINITELY have more say in the way rooms are assigned!

And, maybe I am a bit "elitist"....but, so far I have spent $46,000 to be a "member" of DVC....why should a renter get a better view than me (or, any other member)? It shouldn't be anything I ever have to worry about.

The policy of assigning the better rooms/views/requests to owners rather than renters/traders is common practice in MANY timeshares....DVC can adopt this policy.

I am taking friends with us in March....we are each getting a studio on my points. I would have NO problems with us getting a better view than them....that is the "breaks". If we decided to be "gracious", we could switch with them.

But, honestly....I wouldn't be surprised to find that renters often get the best views of OUR deluxe resort at Value prices....that is just terrible, and terribly disheartening.

I will DEFINITELY be asking some questions at the annual meeting!!!

:wave:

Beca

First, I want to say "thank you" to all the DVC members who are willing to rent their points. We are renting at OKW for the first time this November and I am so excited!!!

Second, I can honestly say I would have no problem having a member's requests met before mine as a renter. Now, if I was paying rack rate through CRO that might be a different situation.

Third, I completely agree, that renting at a DVC resort is a good marketing tool. I had never considered becoming a DVC member until I looked into renting. Now I can't wait to see OKW and SSR. I am hoping to convince DH that DVC is a great idea!

Thanks again to all of those who are willing to share their "homes" with non-members!

:earsboy: :earsgirl: pirate: pirate:

Oh, by the way, I didn't think renters could make requests. I thought all of the requests had to go through the member. The member I am renting off of suggested we request: non-smoking, upper floor, close to HH. To be honest, the only request I am hoping gets granted is non-smoking. DS has allergies, but I didn't want to create a big ordeal and make the request non-smoking for medical reasons. I was so grateful to the family that rented us their points that I didn't want to inconvenience them.

mom22boys said:
First, I want to say "thank you" to all the DVC members who are willing to rent their points. We are renting at OKW for the first time this November and I am so excited!!!

Second, I can honestly say I would have no problem having a member's requests met before mine as a renter. Now, if I was paying rack rate through CRO that might be a different situation.

Third, I completely agree, that renting at a DVC resort is a good marketing tool. I had never considered becoming a DVC member until I looked into renting. Now I can't wait to see OKW and SSR. I am hoping to convince DH that DVC is a great idea!

Thanks again to all of those who are willing to share their "homes" with non-members!

:earsboy: :earsgirl: pirate: pirate:

Oh, by the way, I didn't think renters could make requests. I thought all of the requests had to go through the member. The member I am renting off of suggested we request: non-smoking, upper floor, close to HH. To be honest, the only request I am hoping gets granted is non-smoking. DS has allergies, but I didn't want to create a big ordeal and make the request non-smoking for medical reasons. I was so grateful to the family that rented us their points that I didn't want to inconvenience them.

ITA!!! However, even at CRO's rates, you are still a "renter" (you're just not getting the bargain price....WDW rents it's 4% for a lot more than other owners)...granted, the rental "rules" are different...you don't get some of the member perks, but you do get housekeeping every day. But, anytime you stay at a place where "ownership" is a possibility, and you are not an "owner"...the expectations of requests should be less.

And, let me add to this....I do NOT have any problem with people renting....I see renting as a "perk" of my membership. My only issues are: 1) I think members rent points too cheaply, and 2) preferred views/requests should go to owners first.

I seriously don't think that is asking too much.

:wave:

Beca

It's been $10 a point to rent for about 10 YEARS NOW! Look at how much hotel rates have increased since then. Why is it still so low. I will hardly ever rent out my points unless i have to, but i think the current $9-10 pp is too low and members are shorting themselves when they rent. I saw a post from someone on the rent/trade board that said they want WLV at a reasonable price. well, i believe $10 pp is BEYOND reasonable for any room at WLV, even without a view or a balcony.

Beca said:
even at CRO's rates, you are still a "renter"

Interesting, I never thought about it that way. I really do see your point. ::MinnieMo

Oh, and by the way, don't tell anyone, but I would be willing to pay more than $10/point ! :goodvibes

Donna said:
It's been $10 a point to rent for about 10 YEARS NOW! Look at how much hotel rates have increased since then. Why is it still so low. I will hardly ever rent out my points unless i have to, but i think the current $9-10 pp is too low and members are shorting themselves when they rent. I saw a post from someone on the rent/trade board that said they want WLV at a reasonable price. well, i believe $10 pp is BEYOND reasonable for any room at WLV, even without a view or a balcony.

I guess I am just grumpy tonight (it's been a rough week!!), but I keep having to "chime in" on this one!! ITA!!! WDW would never rent our their 4% at the equivalent of $10 per point....and, they have no problem filling the rooms!! I'm not sure why such "Disney-crazed people" sell their prized possession so cheaply?!!

And yet, any day on the rent/trade board has posters asking people to sell them points for $7.50...or, even less!!! I would certainly not rent to someone who valued my investment so little...the bottom line, I am responsible for anything they do to the room while they are "my guest"....if they value DVC so little...it just makes me nervous!!

:confused3

Beca

mom22boys said:
Interesting, I never thought about it that way. I really do see your point. ::MinnieMo

Oh, and by the way, don't tell anyone, but I would be willing to pay more than $10/point ! :goodvibes

And, you know what...I'd rent to you ANYTIME!!!

:love2:

Beca

Beca said:
I guess I am just grumpy tonight (it's been a rough week!!), but I keep having to "chime in" on this one!! ITA!!! WDW would never rent our their 4% at the equivalent of $10 per point....and, they have no problem filling the rooms!! I'm not sure why such "Disney-crazed people" sell their prized possession so cheaply?!!

And yet, any day on the rent/trade board has posters asking people to sell them points for $7.50...or, even less!!! I would certainly not rent to someone who valued my investment so little...the bottom line, I am responsible for anything they do to the room while they are "my guest"....if they value DVC so little...it just makes me nervous!!

:confused3

Beca

I feel a coordinated effort brewing to raise the rental to $15 / point. Come on people, let's make it happen!! :smooth:

Montana Disney Fan said:
I feel a coordinated effort brewing to raise the rental to $15 / point. Come on people, let's make it happen!! :smooth:

You are SOOO wicked!!! :smooth:

Beca

As a new owner I couldn't agree more. The price is too cheap and everyone should join together and raise the asking price. We are not responsible for allowing non owners the option to try it before you buy it.

WDW is not letting visitors stay at GF for 1/3 the rack rate, but that is essentially what is happening with renting points. I just financed through Disney and my points are costing around $17/pt per year for the 10 years with dues added in. Why would anyone buy when its so much cheaper to rent?

I have posted several times that the order of preference for room assignments should be those that own at that resort, other DVC members, cash guests renting through CRO then exchangers. This is the method most commonly used by timeshares in general. Those who rent from a member would still get the priority of the owner in question. There's a difference in giving an owner preference compared to treating someone else as a second class citizen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter