Irritated by some renters - is it just me?

Beca said:
Yep....I said it...and, I MEAN it!! So, if people flame you, their gonna have to flame me, too!!

Wow .... Go Beca, Go ....!!! ;)

Beca said:
I just get annoyed when I read the boards (it's now even posted on mousesavers.com) that renting from a DVC member is a great way to "stay deluxe at a value price"....

It's even in the 2006 edition of the Unofficial Guide to WDW, p 113-114 (don't know if it was in last year's) and yes, the price given is ".... usually in the range of $10 per point .....".

Dean said:
I have posted several times that the order of preference for room assignments should be those that own at that resort, other DVC members, cash guests renting through CRO then exchangers. This is the method most commonly used by timeshares in general. Those who rent from a member would still get the priority of the owner in question. There's a difference in giving an owner preference compared to treating someone else as a second class citizen.

Absolutely. And like all of your posts IMHO, full of common sense and wisdom based on your vast knowledge of the way the time share industry operates.

As a new member it saddens me that I might have to deal with this, priorities going to non members. If they are avail sure why not but the owners should get first crack.

I agree with Beca.

The only way to change the system is if we all either not rent our points (which is hard at times, its a nice perk if you can't use them one year for whatever reason) but we should all not post rentals for less than 12 a point. Maybe even more.

There is strength in numbers. We just have to follow through.

cobbler said:
As a new member it saddens me that I might have to deal with this, priorities going to non members. If they are avail sure why not but the owners should get first crack.

I agree with Beca.

The only way to change the system is if we all either not rent our points (which is hard at times, its a nice perk if you can't use them one year for whatever reason) but we should all not post rentals for less than 12 a point. Maybe even more.

There is strength in numbers. We just have to follow through.
IMO, a renter using my points is the same as using them myself. Tis true to DVC as well. There are only a couple of perks not available to guests and while the POS does make a distinction between guests and renters, it would be difficult to impossible to enforce that distinction legally. They only way to do so would be to tie the perks to the member and eliminate them from guests as well as renters.

Beca said:
Yep....I said it...and, I MEAN it!! So, if people flame you, their gonna have to flame me, too!!

I just get annoyed when I read the boards (it's now even posted on mousesavers.com) that renting from a DVC member is a great way to "stay deluxe at a value price"....then, when my mom goes "home" to VWL (her home resort) she is given the ONE studio with no balcony on her first (and so far, ONLY trip to VWL...she doesn't want to go back there). How fair is that?!!

I get a little "miffed" when people get a "bargain" off of others' very pricey investments. True, people can do what they want with their stuff....but, the "going rate" affects all of us...and frankly, it is just too low!!! Yesterday, I was looking to add a couple of nights to my March vacation because airfare was cheaper if I went on Friday instead of Sunday. I didn't want to have to borrow points, so I went looking for a cheap accomodation. The all-stars were $140 per night(including tax). They were also $140 per night on Sun-Thurs....the same nights that a studio at BCV was 14 per point....the EXACT same amount of money!!! Yet, when CRO rents those rooms, they were renting at $349 per night plus tax.

At $10 per point, we as owners are losing money (unless you bought in a LONG time ago). Even if you paid cash for your DVC, when you add-up the earnings potential of your initial investment (if the same money had been placed elsewhere)...you are losing. And, if you are one of the many who FINANCED your DVC....forget it!!!...you're losing a LOT of money!!!

Sometimes it strikes me as very odd how DVC can be considered a "good" investment when it is such a "bargain" to rent... a renter who knows how to "work the system" is really much smarter than us owners!! But, we are all a little "Disney crazy" and OWNING a piece of the mouse is important to us....so, the cost is worth it.

But, why should we have less-than-stellar views, get smoking rooms when we have asked for non, and get the ONE room without a balcony? You cannot tell me that there were NO renters at VWL that night!! There are ALWAYS renters....that room should not go to a DVC owner....ESPECIALLY a VWL owner.

Now that WDW has changed their AP discount to the "best rate" program....deals are not nearly as good. And, now that mousesavers.com has the "insider's deal" of renting points as the newest and best bargain on deluxe rooms at WDW...renting is not the "quiet little secret" that it used to be....it is big business. And yes, it would not surprise me if WDW didn't see this as "great advertisement" for getting people to buy in. WDW marketing is VERY smart!! I would not be surprised to learn that renters don't, in fact get BETTER rooms than owners...why? Because WDW (and Iger) have said that they are no longer going to build any new theme parks in the US....they are going to concentrate on China....and on EXTENDING their TIMESHARE industry in the US!!! DVC is making WDW a LOT of money!!!

DVC has the perfect set-up right now...all requests are "requests", and there are NO guidelines or "pecking order" for the rooms to be reserved....they have complete control over your rooms. It amazes me that the management could make a "unilateral" decision to go from "first reserved" to "room ready" without the consent of the owners....remember, DVC only owns 4%....they may be the largest owner, but they are FAR from a majority....owners should DEFINITELY have more say in the way rooms are assigned!

And, maybe I am a bit "elitist"....but, so far I have spent $46,000 to be a "member" of DVC....why should a renter get a better view than me (or, any other member)? It shouldn't be anything I ever have to worry about.

The policy of assigning the better rooms/views/requests to owners rather than renters/traders is common practice in MANY timeshares....DVC can adopt this policy.

I am taking friends with us in March....we are each getting a studio on my points. I would have NO problems with us getting a better view than them....that is the "breaks". If we decided to be "gracious", we could switch with them.

But, honestly....I wouldn't be surprised to find that renters often get the best views of OUR deluxe resort at Value prices....that is just terrible, and terribly disheartening.

I will DEFINITELY be asking some questions at the annual meeting!!!

:wave:

Beca
I definitely agree with you! I'd LOVE to be at that annual meeting and stand up with you! But unfortunately, I think BCV's meeting is the day I leave-12/1, isn't it? Please tell us what they say.
My only question is can the room assigner currently tell whether a person checking in is a renter or owner? I honestly don't know, since I've never had any experience in renting. Of course, if they can't tell the difference, they should!

Simba's Mom said:
I definitely agree with you! I'd LOVE to be at that annual meeting and stand up with you! But unfortunately, I think BCV's meeting is the day I leave-12/1, isn't it? Please tell us what they say.
My only question is can the room assigner currently tell whether a person checking in is a renter or owner? I honestly don't know, since I've never had any experience in renting. Of course, if they can't tell the difference, they should!

Simba's Mom, Somehow I suspect if Beca is in top form those views will be adequately represented at the meeting.

I believe the prices that points are rented at reflect many elements:

1. Renting from us (members) is a greater risk to the guest than "renting" from CRO where the Disney brand increases value. Thus a price lower than what CRO charges.

2. Even at $10 per point we are renting at about twice (maybe a bit less than that now) what the points cost us. I supect most of us don't consider this a business and therefore profit not a motive. Thus a lower price.

3. We have been conditioned by what we read here and on other sites. Thus a price around $10.

4. We most often rent points that we cannot use and that have a finite life. Thus a willingness to recover our costs and not forfeit the points, so a price that easily creates a value proposition for the renter.

Dean said:
I have posted several times that the order of preference for room assignments should be those that own at that resort, other DVC members, cash guests renting through CRO then exchangers. This is the method most commonly used by timeshares in general. Those who rent from a member would still get the priority of the owner in question. There's a difference in giving an owner preference compared to treating someone else as a second class citizen.

Agree. Well stated.

Beca said:
...Because WDW (and Iger) have said that they are no longer going to build any new theme parks in the US....they are going to concentrate on China....and on EXTENDING their TIMESHARE industry in the US!!! DVC is making WDW a LOT of money!!! ...Beca

The theme park industry is very competitive. It requires constant reinvestment, even if you are Disney. I suspect Disney will continue to invest in the US market. The resources required for the foreign deals they are making now do not impair the company's ability to invest domestically. In Florida they have two factors that most in the business do not. Lots of open and owned land as well as, even today, an exceptional level of self determination. Add to that a need to build attraction venues if they are going to add lodging capacity.

I don't know how the Disney Travels (unsure if that was its official name) program went, but it is an element of the company extending its brand into other vacation venues. I still believe that extending their brand into vacations and timeshares away from the theme parks will be expensive and have lower returns than the current business models. They've tried this several times and so far have not had a sustainable business. The exception is DCL, but I think the difference is that on a cruise ship Disney can exert its total control over all that a guest experiences -- except shore excursions. It is also an easy tie into the theme park vacation with the Florida port so close to Orlando. In California they could very well replicate the Florida model.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you that DVC is a profitable business for the company. We pay for the resorts to be built, operated and maintained for fifty years and then the physical assets revert to the company in good condition. In addition we are "captured" guests for the theme parks guaranteed to return on a regular basis -- very important because they can spend less to get us back then they might other guests.

I love the posts where someone wants to get DVC points and they name the requirements, such as $X per point PLUS an escrow account. Does any member really want to work with such demanding people?????

As a member, I don't think I would bother with anyone wanting an escrow acct set up. My points, my reservation. When they become yours, the money becomes mine, not a bank somewhere. Plus what does something like this cost?

I also would like to say a big Thank You to those owners that rent their points. I am just in the process of doing some research and trying to get my "ducks in a row" to rent points for an October 2006 visit. I appreciate the vast knowledge and perspectives given on these boards. I truly don't know where to begin and read anything I can to be more aware of how this whole process works. We're not all cheats just looking for the cheapest way, quite honestly, I just want the whirlpool tub. Can't find those too many places on property. We visited 2 years ago and stayed in a moderate but I hope to be more educated this time around. More than likely I will never buy into DVC but I certainly agree, that were I to buy, my requests should be "weighted" over the requests of renters. As a prospective renter, I am just happy that this option is available. Thanks to all..................Heather

Until/Unless DVC is willing to give up "room ready", owners will never get any kind of request preference. And there are a lot of members (including many who post here) that prefer "room ready" to pre-assignment.

I would like to see owners get some perks at their home resort (like request preference and guaranteed non-smoking), but I do not see it happening. Easier for DVC to keep the status quo.

Best wishes -

Hi Heather - enjoy! You may be surprised at how the "join DVC bug" can sneak up on you and bite you when you least expect it!!!

Hello Sue. If the "join DVC bug" is even as remotely infectious as the "dis bug" I'm in big trouble. I will look into vaccination. After our first trip in 2003, we swore we would never go back. It was by far the least restful vacation we had ever been on. (Something you already know but we didn't.) Somehow, I have managed to convince my husband that the secret is just to stay twice as long. Gotta love those unscheduled days. Wish me luck..............Heather

VogelFamily said:
If the "join DVC bug" is even as remotely infectious as the "dis bug" I'm in big trouble. I will look into vaccination.

Let me know if you find a vaccination. I think I need it! :rotfl:

Prior to becoming owners, we were glad to rent for $10 per point. It's less than half of the price you'd pay if you were reserving the cash accomodations through Disney.
However, now that we own at SSR, we think that $10 is way too low!
We will not rent points for less than $15 and wish everyone would do the same. At $15 per point the accomodations are still a bargain and we would be more than willing to rent at that price if we needed extra points.
If it weren't for that blue card - we'd still be renting points! :banana:

mom22boys said:
First, I want to say "thank you" to all the DVC members who are willing to rent their points. We are renting at OKW for the first time this November and I am so excited!!!

Second, I can honestly say I would have no problem having a member's requests met before mine as a renter. Now, if I was paying rack rate through CRO that might be a different situation.

Third, I completely agree, that renting at a DVC resort is a good marketing tool. I had never considered becoming a DVC member until I looked into renting. Now I can't wait to see OKW and SSR. I am hoping to convince DH that DVC is a great idea!

Thanks again to all of those who are willing to share their "homes" with non-members!

:earsboy: :earsgirl: pirate: pirate:

Oh, by the way, I didn't think renters could make requests. I thought all of the requests had to go through the member. The member I am renting off of suggested we request: non-smoking, upper floor, close to HH. To be honest, the only request I am hoping gets granted is non-smoking. DS has allergies, but I didn't want to create a big ordeal and make the request non-smoking for medical reasons. I was so grateful to the family that rented us their points that I didn't want to inconvenience them.

I agree with this post
i am grateful to the dvcers who rented us points and it is making me think about joining in

owtrbnks At $15 per point the accomodations are still a bargain and we would be more than willing to rent at that price if we needed extra points. [COLOR=Navy said:
If it weren't for that blue card - we'd still be renting points![/COLOR] :banana:

I have really enjoyed renting points for my vacations. I LOVE the people I have rented from - they are wonderful :goodvibes I have to say at $15pp I think I would have to quit renting. In our case we always need 2 week nights & 2 weekend. The week nights would be a good deal but the weekends would kill ya :earseek:

The main reason we won't join DVC is we usually only go 4-5 nights per year. If we were able to go more often we would love to join - it's just not worth it for 1 short visit in a studio. I think many people try to utilize the weekends to help reduce vaca. time & taking kids out of school (hence the higher price)

We always go the Wed. following Thanksgiving through the Sunday. It takes 68 points to rent a studio at VWL. At $10-$12/pp it is a pretty good deal. At $15/pp the rate would jump up to an average of $255/nt. I found a travel agent who could get me $204/nt. + tax for a courtyard view. I would loose my mini-kitchen but I would not have to make a commitment 11 months in advance, have somebody holding my money for many months & I'd have the flexibility to add the dining plan, etc. if I chose. If an emergency came up & I had to cancel :scared1: I would have a lot more flexibility.

Raising the "going rate" to $15 would still give people who can go only during the week a great deal - It would probably eliminate the weekenders.

I still LOVE renting points - & will probably do it again next year. I want to thank all the wonderful DVCers who share their "home away from home". :love:

k_k_100 said:
I have really enjoyed renting points for my vacations. I LOVE the people I have rented from - they are wonderful :goodvibes I have to say at $15pp I think I would have to quit renting. In our case we always need 2 week nights & 2 weekend. The week nights would be a good deal but the weekends would kill ya :earseek:

The main reason we won't join DVC is we usually only go 4-5 nights per year. If we were able to go more often we would love to join - it's just not worth it for 1 short visit in a studio. I think many people try to utilize the weekends to help reduce vaca. time & taking kids out of school (hence the higher price)

We always go the Wed. following Thanksgiving through the Sunday. It takes 68 points to rent a studio at VWL. At $10-$12/pp it is a pretty good deal. At $15/pp the rate would jump up to an average of $255/nt. I found a travel agent who could get me $204/nt. = tax for a courtyard view. I would loose my mini-kitchen but I would not have to make a commitment 11 months in advance, have somebody holding my money for many months & I'd have the flexibility to add the dining plan, etc. if I chose. If an emergency came up & I had to cancel :scared1: I would have a lot more flexibility.

Raising the "going rate" to $15 would still give people who can go only during the week a great deal - It would probably eliminate the weekenders.

I still LOVE renting points - & will probably do it again next year. I want to thank all the wonderful DVCers who share their "home away from home". :love:

interesting point
those weekends kill you and wow that is a big difference thanks for doing the math

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter