Is Disney's New 'Star Wars'-Inspired Hotel Turning Into A Flop?

I think it is cool that Disney is pushing the envelope. This is a completely new experience. They took a big swing and that should be lauded. if you do not like the thought of role playing….do not go. Do not like a “cruise” on land….do not go. We always hammer Disney for not enough innovation or letting Universal outshine them. Here is a clear instance of new creative thinking outside the box. Will I go? Maybe but I for sure think this will lead the way to new and exciting paths. Yes, it costs a lot of money but let’s encourage creativity and let market demand decide.

As I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread Disney should've taken a chance and created a Star Wars themed resort like the popular Grey Wolf Lodge hotel chain and I don't know who came up with a Star Wars hotel to be an adventure when they should've made it a regular Disney resort with Star Wars in it. I mean Disney has a smart idea with the Art Of Animation Resort with rooms themed to The Lion King Cars Finding Nemo and The Little Mermaid and it was a success so why couldn't they do the exact same thing with Star Wars? What I can see is the biggest audience that this resort is attracting are the mega huge Star Wars fans who want to dream of going to experience Star Wars for real. My mother also thinks that this resort will fail and my dad agrees too and maybe if they added more stuff to make it interesting the resort would do a whole lot better. But if Disney decides to build a Marvel resort like in Disneyland Paris I would love that

I’m another who would not go in for free. I come to Florida to enjoy the wonderful weather and environment, pools etc. I simply could not think of anything worse than stuck in a never ending escape room with giant wall video games and role play with no windows. Horrible idea for me- but fully accept I’m not the target market.

At the end of the day Disney didn't build a regular resort because they wanted to see if they could get $6k for 2 nights. I guarantee the operating costs for this resort are peanuts compared to say Coronado but the return is probably similar.

The reason Disney does anything these days is $. Nothing more nothing less.

To me, that is what makes the addition interesting. If I want a nice themed hotel, I can go to Art of Animation. If I want a more immersive experience, Animal Kingdom Lodge. If I want to leave the planet…Star Wars. Now give me Animal Kingdom Lodge in an immersive Star Wars Hotel and I’ll pay triple. Kylo Ren as a disgruntled zookeeper trying to round up mischevious porgs. Tauntauns and Ewoks and Rancors…oh my. 😎

Although I think it's a miss, I'm glad that they continue to push the envelope in a bold way. We come to Disney parks for the immersive experiences. I appreciate them trying to super-serve Star Wars fans. It's really just the cost that's hard to justify for me. Love to try it, but we probably never will due to the $6000 price tag.

looks like the $6000.00/ star wars scam is up for the old flop and pop.

disneys-new-star-wars-inspired-hotel-turning-into-a-flop/ar-AAV2zHN

How do you guess it will ever end.
Way too early to call it a flop. However, more than 10-20 years from now I can’t see it operating the same way. It doesn’t really have lasting power in its current form.

No idea if it is or not...i'll never be able to give you a first hand account of it. I'll never pay what they're asking for it.

I could see splurging and staying at a deluxe resort, but this one is just so expensive, id never try to justify it. im sure there are a ton more like me out there.

10-20 years from now I can’t see it operating the same way. It doesn’t really have lasting power in its current form.
I don't think it's supposed to. The "box" that it's built in could support a number of different storylines. All it needs is software updates.

As I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread Disney should've taken a chance and created a Star Wars themed resort like the popular Grey Wolf Lodge hotel chain and I don't know who came up with a Star Wars hotel to be an adventure when they should've made it a regular Disney resort with Star Wars in it. I mean Disney has a smart idea with the Art Of Animation Resort with rooms themed to The Lion King Cars Finding Nemo and The Little Mermaid and it was a success so why couldn't they do the exact same thing with Star Wars? What I can see is the biggest audience that this resort is attracting are the mega huge Star Wars fans who want to dream of going to experience Star Wars for real. My mother also thinks that this resort will fail and my dad agrees too and maybe if they added more stuff to make it interesting the resort would do a whole lot better. But if Disney decides to build a Marvel resort like in Disneyland Paris I would love that
I think that they should've made it to where you can pay extra to participate in the role play version but also make it to where you can just do the hotel aspect of the resort for a lot less money. In future, I wouldn't doubt if they didn't open it up for that when people stop going.

I think that they should've made it to where you can pay extra to participate in the role play version but also make it to where you can just do the hotel aspect of the resort for a lot less money. In future, I wouldn't doubt if they didn't open it up for that when people stop going.
I could see Disney occassionally taking a few days off between voyages. Offer a dinner show, overnight stay and breakfast. Probably close to $1500 per couple.

I am curious in reading reviews of people actually staying there. I wonder now that they have spent the money do they think it was worth it.

I am a star wars fan. But for the price point and some other things that do not sit right with me, I do not feel that it would be worth it.

I am a wait and see if this really works.
If it were me, having spent so much money, I would lie through my teeth and say it was worth every penny even if I hated it. I couldn't bear to admit I'd been foolish enough to blow half a year of mortgage payments on a lackluster experience.

I don't think it's supposed to. The "box" that it's built in could support a number of different storylines. All it needs is software updates.

Yeah there is no telling what stories will be told in the coming years by the studio, and how many will intersect this timeline. But a number of role playing adventures could be created to keep interest alive. And other benefits added to the adventure - Fireworks reserved seating, front of line access to all of DHS, better food (via Kalikori Club being built), and there were three other ride concepts for SWGE that didn't make the cut.

While I'm not a "huge" SW fan nor am I into role playing... I never would have believed Disney could sell $200 Lightsabers or $100 Droids as fast as they can be made either. I recognize there is a market for what they are offering. And I still think Disney has a lot of room to play with pricing... and still count the Starliner a sucess. In the end Disney didn't build it for 98% of people, it's the 2% that visit each year that might be interested, and $6,000 might be one months payment on their mortgage and not a half a years worth.

Wait and see. I think the price point is a deal breaker for a lot of people. It will be interesting where it is a year from now. I agree with Pete from the podcast in that I don't see this sustainable in the long term. Also if you are Star Wars fan and you live with Non Star Wars fan, this is a tough sell. Also Disney put out a premium priced experience when prices are rising across the board. So I'm questioning if this was the right time

It's NOT a HOTEL the way that I define it more of a larp experience. If Disney doesn't dumb it down, maybe it will succeed. Maybe I'm wrong.

Wait and see. I think the price point is a deal breaker for a lot of people. It will be interesting where it is a year from now. I agree with Pete from the podcast in that I don't see this sustainable in the long term. Also if you are Star Wars fan and you live with Non Star Wars fan, this is a tough sell. Also Disney put out a premium priced experience when prices are rising across the board. So I'm questioning if this was the right time

It's NOT a HOTEL the way that I define it more of a larp experience. If Disney doesn't dumb it down, maybe it will succeed. Maybe I'm wrong.

Star Trek: The Experience was an attraction in Vegas, this just took that to another level.

Only for the few who belong to a galaxy far far away.
not around from these parts, with slim chances to pay.
Disney needs to come down to earth.

I hope it does well enough for Universal to consider a Hogwarts "hotel experience" with classes, houses, and dining in the Great Hall. I grew up with SW, but Potter lends itself to this concept much more readily.
LOVE this idea.

The videos showing how immersive it is look very cool, but i would NEVER spend that kind of money to stay there. At half the cost, it is a maybe.
After the first group of diehard Star Wars fans move through, then I'd be worried.

I hope it does well enough for Universal to consider a Hogwarts "hotel experience" with classes, houses, and dining in the Great Hall. I grew up with SW, but Potter lends itself to this concept much more readily.
That could be so much fun! That one, we might do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter