Is it best to call or book online when scheduling ADRs?

Kinsey K

Earning My Ears
Tomorrow is the big day for me! I’m curious whether I should prioritize calling to book or booking through the MDE app. My last trip was November 2019, so I expect a lot to be different. Plus it’s my first time booking popular reservations without using a travel agent.

I have a few other quick questions:
- do I have to have an Epcot reservation for the day I try to book Space 220?
- is the MDE app on a phone better or is the website on a computer better? Not sure what is faster/functions best
- what time does booking start (central time zone)? I have written down 4:45am central, but I’m not sure that’s correct

Thanks in advance to everyone that responds!!

Edit: how should I go by booking the Keys to the kingdom tour as well? I’ve heard many people say it’s very time consuming and I don’t want to choose between ADRs and the tour

You should book online first since you can start booking at 6 am EST (some restaurants open at 5:45 but it's very much a YMMV on that since on my last trip everything opened up at exactly 6). The phone lines don't open until 7 am EST so booking online gives you a 1 hour advantage to those that decide to call.

You do not need a reservation for any park in order to book restaurants in a park, including Space 220. I will say that when I made ADRs for my May trip, the only time I saw Space pop up was on my check out day. It's the hardest reservation to get right now, especially for the lounge since you are not forced to do the prefix menu.

So I had a unique issue on my booking day. When I tried using desktop (my browser was Chrome), it refused to let me book anything beyond my check in day even though I was a resort guest. I hopped on the MDE app and was able to grab everything I wanted, but that is a known glitch to happen with the system. I remember seeing others say they had the same exact issue. I would have both open and ready to go in case of any IT glitches.

Good luck! I hope you get the reservations you want! : )

fwiw, I'm still unclear on what actually opens at 5:45.

I would book online, of course try things at 5:45, but don't panic if you get a weird error message like "technical difficulties" prior to 6am.

If you don't see the days available beyond your check in day, and you're a resort guest, you can try booking on your mobile device, but also try a different browser or clear your browsing data. You should be able to test this prior to 6am as you should see the full stay window around 5:45 and can use this time to clear up any technical difficulties.

I had one weird hiccup this time that for some reason it was making me fill in my credit card every time I booked a restaurant on the website. mobile worked fine but I'm slower at mobile:/

good luck! and don't worry if you do have to call at 7am, I've had success with that in the past, but online is better if you can.

When we booked in September for our November trip had all sorts of issues. I had the app and website open on my ipad and and iPhone and kept getting error messages. I went on my work computer and used Google Chrome but I actually had to bring up each restaurant and book that way. I also for the most part kept being asked to put in the credit card info. But, I did get everything we wanted for our 9 day Thanksgiving week trip so was happy. Good luck!

Just finished all my ADRs. My DD and I got up at 3:30 MT and both had our laptops. Logged into MDE, We opened up a tab for each restaurant, then as the clock ticked down we prepped our first reservations. Click, click, click... got everything we wanted. (not always at the best time - Space 220 at 2:30 but late lunch..) Note that you do indeed need a park reservation for the day you book an ADR for an in-park restaurant. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter